• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong | Review Thread

What scores do you think Black Myth: Wukong will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 56-59%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 15 4.8%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 51 16.4%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 121 38.9%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 99 31.8%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clarky

Gold Member
By Boss rush, what does that mean. Its literally boss after boss after boss. So no exploring like a dark souls or Bloodborne?

Or is a souls game classed as a boss rush game?
Just Bosses to fight. There is in-between bits but they are not very good seems to be the consensus.

After the Dev swore blind it wasn't a boss rush game, im a little disappointed. Was hoping for something along the lines of a Ninja Gaiden/Nioh or similar.

Last edited:
hJehnef.jpeg

Can we cancel culture screen rant for this annoying ass opinion? This is truly what is poisoning our society. NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE FOR OR REPRESENTATIVE OF EVERYONE!!

Also it's God damn animals.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Very little exploration and whats there isnt good either

Just Bosses to fight. There is in-between bits but they are not very good seems to be the consensus.

After the Dev swore blind it wasn't a boss rush game, im a little disappointed. Was hoping for something along the lines of a Ninja Gaiden/Nioh or similar.

Aw man, well it's scoring pretty damn well so I'm a bit confused now.

Bernardougf

Well im playing Lies of Pi now.. and is basically this .. going through the level to get to the bosses... everuthing is just ridiculously easy.. and lies of pi seems to be well regarded

MiguelItUp

So of course this was fake. Come on, people. Stop giving clicks to these warriors that are salivating at your potential enragement.
No kidding. I wish people would stop giving Grummz attention as well, dude comes off as the biggest grifter that will do anything for rage/bait clicks.

The game is reviewing better than I expected which is great to see! I'll check it out down the road for sure. That being said, that Screenrant review is bizarre. I don't understand how someone would look at a game like this and mark a con regarding inclusivity and/or diversity. It feels like a joke to do so. I mean, Sun Wukong's entire universe revolved around other creatures, animals, and mythical beings. Wtf do you expect?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Eh, sounds like a gamefly rental when it actually gets a physical release.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Dumbass “reviews” like ScreenRant’s (and I read the whole thing, not just the excerpt) is why we end up with trash games like Suicide Squad and Concord.

Outlets that use their “review” as a social or political cudgel should be blacklisted by the industry.

OpenCritic reviews are more accurate, currently with 88/100

Very little exploration and whats there isnt good either
Not a boss rush

• 58 bosses including elite ones
  • One of the most visually striking Unreal Engine 5 games
  • Has souls-like elements, but it isn't really a souls-like
  • Story based in the Journey to the West novel
  • You can download a benchmark on Steam
  • 30-35 hours length main campaign

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Open world and exploration bias sometimes take hold of reviewers/players judgment.. dont let this keep away from the game if its good.. not every fucking game has to have exploration. But if thats your thing .welp.

Personally i wasn't hoping for openworld or exploration more so levels and combat like NG or Nioh with normal enemy types and such to take on, with bosses in between. Instead we have in between boss bits that dont sound very good. One review called it tedious.

Ah well guess it just not for me and thats cool hope anyone who dives in enjoys it. If the GAF concencus is good i might pick it up further down the line

Last edited:
Unfortunately, however, it's held back from true greatness by very underwhelming level designs, poor enemy variety, and a completely redundant gear system.
Ew. Not that I was anything more than curious but another Nioh I do not need.

Bernardougf

Personally i wasn't hoping for openworld or exploration more so levels and combat like NG or Nioh with normal enemy types and such to take on, with bosses in between. Instead we have in between boss bits that dont sound very good. One review called it tedious.

Ah well guess it just not for me and thats cool hope anyone who dives in enjoys it. If the GAF concencus is good i might pick it up further down the line
Every now and them I kick in the gauntlets in sekiro ... sometimes running trough bosses and great fights can be fun either. But point taken.

john2gr

By Boss rush, what does that mean. Its literally boss after boss after boss. So no exploring like a dark souls or Bloodborne?

Or is a souls game classed as a boss rush game?

It's not a boss after boss after boss. I'm playing it right now. Seriously, someone needs to upload a walkthrough of the first 20-30 minutes.

Anyway, picture this. You encounter a boss. You defeat it. You move forward to a shrine and save (same like the Souls games). Then you explore a small environment. It has simple enemies (like the enemies you find in other games). By killing them, you get souls. You can then explore the environment, sometimes it has alternate routes, and some of them have optional sub-bosses. Then, once you go down the main path, you find another shrine to save (right before the next boss).

In fact, go ahead and download the benchmark. This entire area is explorable (with some other areas not shown in the benchmark) with one boss at the first temple (it's in the middle of the benchmark).

In short, it's not a "boss after boss after boss" game.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Sounds more like a 3D Cuphead than a Souls style game. I guess its my fault for not following the game closely, i just thought it was a Souls like.
Not keen on boss rush games, you need that exploration between bosses to keep it fresh imo.

PeteBull

Gold Member
hJehnef.jpeg

Can we cancel culture screen rant for this annoying ass opinion? This is truly what is poisoning our culture.
Its all effect of wokeness, bro, u got female soccer players in soccer game with stats higher from male pr0s when in reality they play worse from highschool amatour boy teams ;P
Those wokesters live in crazy buble clownword, but reality refuses to change, we saw on last olimpics both XY chromose boxers wiped the floor with actual females and both got gold medals in their weight categories, and we talking here cut off dicks/balls and same weight limit which almost never happens since we-guys- are naturally much bigger/heavier/stronger from women.

Bernardougf

It's not a boss after boss after boss. I'm playing it right now. Seriously, someone needs to upload a walkthrough of the first 20-30 minutes.

Anyway, picture this. You encounter a boss. You defeat it. You move forward to a shrine and save (same like the Souls games). Then you explore a small environment. It has simple enemies (like the enemies you find in other games). By killing them, you get souls. You can then explore the environment, sometimes it has alternate routes, and some of them have optional sub-bosses. Then, once you go down the main path, you find another shrine to save (right before the next boss).

In fact, go ahead and download the benchmark. This entire area is explorable (with some other areas not shown in the benchmark) with one boss at the first temple (it's in the middle of the benchmark).

In short, it's not a "boss after boss after boss" game.
Ao basically exactly like other souls game with more or less exploration... what I thought it would be .. and I thank god.. too much open worldness already...

Professional journalists died out years ago in gaming. When it became opinion pieces and not a professional unbiased take, topped off with hiring people who get more clicks than have iq points, they spread their shit so much the default of the review is to highlight themselves and how shinny their victim badges are. The self importance has blinded these people.

For years, like a lot of people, knowing you can't depend on a source, you have to watch and read reviews from a lot of different places to try and get some idea as to what seems to a general consensus. It's got so bad we have to actually do research because most of these "journalists" have no dignity or respect for the gaming industry.

Anyway, I voted 80 ish as its a new IP from a developer I've never personally never heard of. Will have to see some uninterrupted gameplay before I decide on buying or not. If it is just short exploration between bosses, I'm not sure it will be my cuppa tea, but still not ruling it out.

Nydius

Oh come on, this is almost certainly a fake.

Please tell me this is a joke review that you found and not actually A REAL ONE!?

This shit real??

Yes. This is a completely real review that not only spends a full third about “representation”, but also makes ridiculous complaints about the gameplay. It’s absolutely clear that “reviewer” went in with an agenda (and can’t play games).

4Ee0UuR.png

Top Bottom