• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong runs at 4K 30FPS/1440p 60FPS on PS5

skit_data

Gold Member
I'm really interested to see how it reviews. It's one of the games that gave a first proper glimpse of next gen and UE5 back before the consoles launched. Might go on to be a big hit if it plays good.

Edit: Wierd, seems they actually switched from UE4 to UE5 in 2021, after the consoles launched. I really thought it was a UE5 title all along.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
This is running on Unreal Engine 5, right? If so, then damn. Even if the 1440p 60fps is not the base rendering resolution and it's upscaled using TSR, the image quality should be good.

Delicious 60FPS

slurp GIF

tommib

What's the base resolution though ? Because Fsr2 is trash, let's not forget it.
Let’s hope it’s native 1440p like Stellar Blade and Demon’s Souls. I’m very done with FSR2 trash on consoles as well.

The best upscalling I’ve seen this gen is from Returnal with a 1080p base res. Whatever they did there needed up giving a pretty clear image.

Last edited:

Bojji

If it can run at 60 fps on the base PS5, we can probably expect 4K60 with effects on PS5 Pro... Will probably be a PS5 Pro highlight for the year.

Pro doesn't have 2x more raw power. More like 1440p with PSSR and few higher quality settings.

Those resolutions are probably dynamic so expect drops to 1080p or below. It's UE5...

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
1440p60 is nice to hear. Game is out in two weeks. Is this going to be a banger, gaf? Haven’t seen the previews.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
4k 60 requires 2x more power than 1440p 60 (or 4k 30 obviously).

No it doesn't. Entirely dependent on what the bottleneck is for pixel throughput.

As an example, consider the recent NMS performance/resolution profile leak between base ps5 at 1296p minimum vs 1728p minimum for the Pro .

Kuranghi

Must be with upscaling from a lower native res, I know its a linear and "narrow" game but just sounds unlikely to me it would native. I love TSR compared to FSR though so no complaints from me.

Bojji

With PSSR it doesn't have to have double the power in order to get to 4K.

The base model does 1440 at 60, so the idea that the Ps5 Pro would only do the same with effects is farfetched. I've saved your post so we can revisit this pretty shortly.

No problem with that.

Pro is ~50% more powerful and PSSR is just another form of upscaling/reconstruction. Base version will be 1440p/60 with TSR or FSR2, PSSR has the same cost as FSR2 so getting to naive 4K with PSSR will require 100% more power (but at this point it will become just anti aliasing like DLAA).

I get that you were talking about "4K" (with PSSR) but that's exactly the same thing as I was talking about in my first post and completely not comparable to native 4K resolution when it comes to performance cost (it may be close in quality, like DLSS).

No it doesn't. Entirely dependent on what the bottleneck is for pixel throughput.

As an example, consider the recent NMS performance/resolution profile leak between base ps5 at 1296p minimum vs 1728p minimum for the Pro .

It's oversimplified of course but that's exactly what Cerny said about 4K and base PS4 games:

Incidentally, he mentioned that his personal estimate is that rendering at native 4K across the board would require a minimum of 8 teraFLOPS of computing power, and thats not something that can be achieved at a reasonable price this year. That said, users will be able to discern the difference between games on PS4 and the improved versions on PS4 pro at a glance.

1080p x4 = 4K

~2TF x4 = 8TF

PS4 Pro was more than 2x more powerful than PS4 but it was bottlenecked by memory speed and memory amount (for bigger framebuffer).

Last edited:

Aenima

Thats really surprising in a good way if true. I was expecting 30fps on consoles even at 1080p.

Bojji

I don’t know what magic Demon’s Souls remake was able to pull out running at native 1440p and 60 fps and looking like a proper next gen game. Why are we going backwards from that?

DeS looks amazing but it's has only "dx11 era" graphics techniques. Add Lumen, Nanite and Virtual Shadow Maps and you have 720p with unstable 60FPS.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's UE5, so of course, it uses upscaling. Have you guys seen how horribly UE5 games tend to run on all platforms? There's also the fact that a lot of the underlying technologies they use scale directly with resolution. As a result, using upscaling in UE5 games has a disproportional impact on performance. See Lords of the Fallen and Remnants 2.

Bojji

The fact that it looks that good without those technologies is a testimony to the developers and hardware. The geometric density, texture resolution and lighting quality are all very high.

Completly agree, it looks better than most games today. Many techniques are very expensive but they don't provide significantly better end results.

Demon's Souls is using less advanced techniques than Immortals of Aveum (for example, it could be Lords of the Fallen for closer comparison) but it looks significantly better on TV with that 1440p internal resolution and mix of high quality textures/models and great art.

MikeM

Gold Member
Fucking hilarious.

So true, baby. All these frame rate nerds gladly play their games at 30 fps on Steam Deck. “Stable 30 fps on Elden Ring and 720p, so enjoyable”/“OMG how can anyone play this on a console at 59 fps!”
I wonder if screen size helps mitigate the motion blur/judder.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
yo nice

I plan to wait on this game due to my backlog and games I'm playing . . . but I probably only have a few months to laugh at certain people about it being timed console exclusive . . . . decisions, decisions.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Fucking hilarious.

So true, baby. All these frame rate nerds gladly play their games at 30 fps on Steam Deck. “Stable 30 fps on Elden Ring and 720p, so enjoyable”/“OMG how can anyone play this on a console at 59 fps!”
Very different expectations, which is sensible, no? The Doom Switch port was widely considered a success despite running at 30 fps. I think that given the specs of the Deck and the fact that it has a tiny screen, the standards being much lower makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom