• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insaniac

AdamF, i posted just a little earlier, but I notice every so often my Tesla grenades don't work properly, they trigger but no enemies in it's AOE get shocked

Focus on the Cataclysm tree. At level 23, Helios (5) + Fire Damage Mod and Cloud Kill wreck everyone except armored enemies.

Throw in a Tesla AOE grenade for max damage!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I want to get some things done, but I keep wanting to finish NG+

I really really want skippable cutscenes and not have to wait for long dialogues or to have people finish their quest dialogue as it traps me from changing my mission objective.

As someone who was lukewarm on BL1, would I like BL2? My reasons for not loving BL1:

1) The shooting mechanics just didn't feel good to me (the feel of a game is hard to articulate of course, but I guess it just didn't feel like the bullets were making an impact with the enemies. There was a disconnect between when I pulled the trigger and when the enemy was apparently getting hit)

2) No mini map

3) Only 2 people per vehicle, plus the vehicles controlled like pure dog shit

4) No trade screen

5) Enemy AI was virtually non-existent

6) No armor

7) Too many useless guns

1) In Borderlands 1 you had to level up your ability to use the different types of guns, so not only were the various stats of each individual weapon driving the performance in combat, so was your proficiency with smgs, pistols, shotguns, etc. Some people found this restrictive because they felt locked into the few weapon types they'd been using throughout their playtime. I kinda liked it, by the end of my first playthrough my Brick was a surgeon with a shotgun.

They got rid of this in Borderlands 2. There are still weapon type specific buffs in the skill trees, like the Gunzerker Gunlust skill tree has I'm Your Huckleberry which boosts pistols, but there isn't any general weapon proficiency you have to worry about anymore. See a new gun in a different type than what you've primarily been using, you can pick it up and use it wihtout any "penalty".

2. There's a minimap in Borderlands 2.

3. There's the Bandit Technical, which can four people can ride in, but that takes a while to unlock. At worst you'll be stick with the classic Borderlands Runner for the first while, but you can have two spawned at the same time. Controls are the same.

4. There is a trade menu option between two players in Borderlands 2.

5. I've found the enemy A.I. to be improved over the first Borderlands.

6. Shields are your armor. That's the item you get that increases your defensive capabilities. Are you after visual changes to your character? Borderlands has that in spades.

7. It's a Diablo-like, every time you kill an elite enemy or open a chest, you're pulling the arm on a slot machine. I've found that the game dolls out items that provide relatively decent increases at a fairly steady and consistent pace and it drops kick ass stuff every now and then. I've also been playing with others consistently, which increases the quality of drops, and I think we all have that relic which boosts rare item drops by 5%.

Nome

So I think I'm nearing the end, just go into
Opportunity, tried to do Claptrap's Statuesqe quest and failed it. I think I can complete it, but keeping the Overseer above 50% seems way too difficult solo. Anyways, after failing it I left the area to do turn in other quests but now I can't seem to restart the mission. Did I just screw myself out of that quest?

All of those quests can be restarted by going to the bounty board you got the quest from. Also, that one's pretty much impossible/not worth doing solo.

Megasoum

Banned
Oops, looks like somebody forgot to replace the place holder texture! haha

56EFAD617B75BF0B4624296B12EE37C05C4D02FE

Avinexus

So I think I'm nearing the end, just go into
Opportunity, tried to do Claptrap's Statuesqe quest and failed it. I think I can complete it, but keeping the Overseer above 50% seems way too difficult solo. Anyways, after failing it I left the area to do turn in other quests but now I can't seem to restart the mission. Did I just screw myself out of that quest?

You don't actually have to keep it above 50%, I didn't when I did that quest. Its not a fail if you don't do it, you just have to keep it alive to knock down the statues.

oktarb

I'm actually quite amazed at the amount of secret locations, puzzles and creative content. The core gunplay is fuck-all solid and the loot is orgasmic but man the creative world keeps me smiling.

Derrick01

Banned
Found a sniper rifle that does 2400 damage but it's a buffalo rifle, meaning no scope :(

I make it work though it's just a little trickier to line up head shots. Seeing that 13k+ crit is worth it.

Also with these challenges do they save progress for other characters? I know the tokens you spend on upgrades are meant for all characters but say if I did the one where I loot a trillion boxes and get rank 5 complete does it stay completed if I made a new character?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Found a sniper rifle that does 2400 damage but it's a buffalo rifle, meaning no scope :(

I make it work though it's just a little trickier to line up head shots. Seeing that 13k+ crit is worth it.

Also with these challenges do they save progress for other characters? I know the tokens you spend on upgrades are meant for all characters but say if I did the one where I loot a trillion boxes and get rank 5 complete does it stay completed if I made a new character?
If you make a new character, all the challenges will reset and you can start anew, but they will all still count towards your existing Badass bar and existing bonuses.

zulfate

Fuck i am loving the shit out of this! I never felt an urge to get everything in a game. I now want to max out every character and do every achievement....never ever has a game done that to me before.

If anyone wants to have a good co-op partner my name is zulfate on steam. I have a mic but i cant always talk but i dont ninja loot everything

This game gives me an old nostalgia feeling for phantasy star online on dreamcast.

I kinda wish i can have a 3rd person camera mode though...you think they might add that in later?

Derrick01

Banned
If you make a new character, all the challenges will reset and you can start anew, but they will all still count towards your existing Badass bar and existing bonuses.

I'm torn on that because on the plus side it'll make doing everything semi-addictive again but on the negative side it'll send those bonuses into overpowered territory. I guess you could just not use the tokens though, so I don't even know why I'm talking about it.

LowParry

Like every game that has classes, I pick one I think I'll like best, reroll a new character. lol - Assassin fits my sniper skills :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm torn on that because on the plus side it'll make doing everything semi-addictive again but on the negative side it'll send those bonuses into overpowered territory. I guess you could just not use the tokens though, so I don't even know why I'm talking about it.
You can turn badass bonuses off though, if you feel it will be too much early on. And reactivate them later.

I don't feel bonuses in general are too overpowered since they scale fairly heavy from the start.

I forgot about all the hidden gun boxes on rooftops in the first one and the platforming it took to get to them. Been exploring the rooftops of Sanctuary. Lots of stuff hidden everywhere.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
how's the gunplay feel this time around? is the overworld more interesting?
Gunplay is about the same. Feels a bit tighter though, but no radical differences.

Overworld is DEFINITELY more interesting. Level design is much better too, it's hard for me to articulate why but it feels the quests and areas compliment each other much better now.

Megasoum

Banned
Ok seriously....who was the genius at Gearbox who thought that it would be a good idea to do timed quests? Those things are the worst!

It's BS, by far the worst thing with the game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I wasn't that big a fan of the first game's humor, but I'm liking it a lot this time around. Some genuinely funny moments.

Ok seriously....who was the genius at Gearbox who thought that it would be a good idea to do timed quests? Those things are the worst!

Its only a pain when theres a tonne of enemies in the way. Then it gets really annoying.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
At 25 and having issues with items falling through the world. Just had to stop because I couldn't get explosives off a dude, because he had fallen down onto a pipe. When I jumped down to get the quest item it killed me because I was "out of bounds". That's starting to get old since I'll have to do it again. Otherwise, the game is great.

Derrick01

Banned
how does the gunplay feel this time around? is the overworld more interesting?

The gunplay improvement was the first thing I noticed in this game when I got something other than the starting pistol. I had a hard time handling sniper rifles in the first game but they felt immediately better to use in this game.

You can turn badass bonuses off though, if you feel it will be too much early on. And reactivate them later.

I don't feel bonuses in general are too overpowered since they scale fairly heavy from the start.

Yeah I just want to fill bars to satisfy the OCD part of me I guess but without making the upgrades get too high since you can keep re-doing challenges on other characters.

Xevren

I don't mind them that much, not that many at least. Now all the suicidal units are what make me cry.

As someone who was lukewarm on BL1, would I like BL2? My reasons for not loving BL1:

1) The shooting mechanics just didn't feel good to me (the feel of a game is hard to articulate of course, but I guess it just didn't feel like the bullets were making an impact with the enemies. There was a disconnect between when I pulled the trigger and when the enemy was apparently getting hit)

2) No mini map

3) Only 2 people per vehicle, plus the vehicles controlled like pure dog shit

4) No trade screen

5) Enemy AI was virtually non-existent

6) No armor

7) Too many useless guns

I didn't think BL1 was all that great. It was good, just decent. BL2 is the shit.

TheYanger

Count me as a Tiny Tina hater. Sometimes she's funny, but most of the time it's just awkward and forced. Not sure if writing or voice acting or both, but her humor tries WAY too hard, compared to like Scooter or Claptrap which are just natural and awesome.

One in particular for Dr. Zed was a real pain in the ass, forced me to create a strategy before hand after three failures. Fortunately I believe there are only three timed missions in all, so it's not like they're plentiful or anything.

Derrick01

Banned
There's nothing like 10+ enemies shooting at you as well as 3 buzzards flying around and seeing them crash into the battlefield, the explosion launching 2 enemies off the cliff behind them.

Holy shit was Dukino's mom a horrible boss, brought back all those awful memories of Crawmeraxx's unavoidable moves.

I had to use every missile launcher and heavy corrosive weapon in my arsenal, as well as my turret, to take her down. Luckily she was distracted by all the bandits shooting at her to be bothered by me most of the time. That's where I got that buffalo rifle too.

Count me as a Tiny Tina hater. Sometimes she's funny, but most of the time it's just awkward and forced. Not sure if writing or voice acting or both, but her humor tries WAY too hard, compared to like Scooter or Claptrap which are just natural and awesome.

She's alright. I wished she was less gangster and more... "innocent".

warpbackspin

Neo Member
Found my first easter egg in the Caustic Caverns. Sooo good, especially when some thing blew up next to me and I had no idea what it was...but then I knew exactly what it was. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom