• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbor

Banned
Prometheus was an enjoyable, pretty nonsense of a movie. I don't mind unexplained stuff but that movie just chucked as much shit at the wall add possible. The unexplained stuff was a product of piss poor writing more than anything else.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So I pulled last night and when we got back to mine I puked everywhere....
After my guest left this morning I evaluated the damage, sick on a few walls, carpets and bedsheet..

But none on my duvet or pillow cases

lawd.gif

I hope to see you again Sploatee, I liked you :)

Seeing this live was probably one of the best moments of my life

Eh I love the song but for me you didn't see the Smashing Pumpkins, you saw Billy Corgan and whatever tribute band he's conjured up.

On topic of Prometheus, that film was just a mess. It had good moments and Fassbender was a great android but the film sucked. Aliens vs Predator is a better film than Prometheus, there I said it.

Aliens is a great movie but for me kind of misdirected what the Xenmorphs were about by turning it into an action film when the creature was created to scare. Alien 3 was closer to the original in it's style and I thought it did a good job fleshing out the universe the films are set in with the Weyland Yutani stuff and the prison planet and the inmates being wierdly religious.

Resurrection for me could have been a good film if the last third of it had been completely scrapped and re-written.

Son Of D

(f) Son of D, how's Dawlish doing? Still got transport problems south of us so I assume there is still a load of water around only nobody is reporting it. Old news I guess.

Things are better, although there are still no trains at the moment. They've given us a date of 4th or 5th of April for when they'll be done but I have doubts it'll be finished by then.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's good, isn't it? Really good use of the gamepad too.

It really is. Being able to keep tabs on your other two commanders while controlling the third with the Wiimote and nunchuck I feel demonstrates the strengths of the Wii U. Not many systems can have a single player experience designed around two controllers like that.

NinjaBoiX

Aliens is a great movie but for me kind of misdirected what the Xenmorphs were about by turning it into an action film when the creature was created to scare.
I think the terrifying presence of the Xenomorphs is intrinsic through their parasitic, predatory nature and Giger's incredible artwork. I don't think it was conscious choice to "make them scary".

Plus, this is the greatest shot of the whole franchise:

ecVUqyU.jpg

FFUUUU.......!

not that anyone actually cares about anyone elses opinions, but anyways

Bladerunner>>>Alien>>>Aliens>>>Prometheus>>>Alien 3>>>Alien: Ressurection

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
not that anyone actually cares about anyone elses opinions, but anyways

Bladerunner>>>Alien>>>Aliens>>>Prometheus>>>Alien 3>>>Alien: Ressurection

When did Bladerunner get involved?

I think the terrifying presence of the Xenomorphs is intrinsic through their parasitic, predatory nature and Giger's incredible artwork. I don't think it was conscious choice to "make them scary".

I dunno. The reason they are parasitic, predatory and why Giger's stuff was picked was to make them scary. They're meant to be unnerving, a weird mixture of feminine/feline body language and phallic aggressiveness. That got kind of lost a bit in Aliens.

*adjusts glasses*

Plus, this is the greatest shot of the whole franchise:

ecVUqyU.jpg

FFUUUU.......!

Yeah the film still managed to keep them off screen most of the time which is how it should be, they're scary because they're smart, agile and want to get you and if you can't see them you don't know where they are. That scene in particular was good because it showed that they were cunning. However, before it gets to that bit, they put those turrets down in the tunnel and must have killed hundreds of xenomorphs with them. It's not shown so you don't know how stupid this looks but to me the idea of them rushing en masse detracts from the scaryness because the creature is supposed to be intelligent.

Alien and Alien 3 put the creature to better use because it shows how hard it is to kill just one of these things and how much chaos one can cause.

Also, I don't want to turn this into a long essay but it's a slow day so I'll continue. In Aliens, it's the first time the humans go into the Xenomorphs territory. You see they essentially have a have a hive, with a Queen. The Colonial marines being there makes the motivations of the Xenomorphs more sensible on a basic level. In first and third film, the Xenomorph is just killing the crew/prisoners because it can, there's never any indication that the Xenomorph actually eats what it kills, it just kills. It's essentially a serial killer that's another species.

Aliens is a great movie nonetheless, I just think the formula from the first and third film works better with regard to the creature itself.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the film still managed to keep them off screen most of the time which is how it should be, they're scary because they're smart, agile and want to get you and if you can't see them you don't know where they are. That scene in particular was good because it showed that they were cunning. However, before it gets to that bit, they put those turrets down in the tunnel and must have killed hundreds of xenomorphs with them. It's not shown so you don't know how stupid this looks but to me the idea of them rushing en masse detracts from the scaryness because the creature is supposed to be intelligent.

Alien and Alien 3 put the creature to better use because it shows how hard it is to kill just one of these things and how much chaos one can cause.

Also, I don't want to turn this into a long essay but it's a slow day so I'll continue. In Aliens, it's the first time the humans go into the Xenomorphs territory. You see they essentially have a have a hive, with a Queen. The Colonial marines being there makes the motivations of the Xenomorphs more sensible on a basic level. In first and third film, the Xenomorph is just killing the crew/prisoners because it can, there's never any indication that the Xenomorph actually eats what it kills, it just kills. It's essentially a serial killer that's another species.

Aliens is a great movie nonetheless, I just think the formula from the first and third film works better with regard to the creature itself.

For what it's worth, I concur.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How does that fit with the Tyrell Corporation?

Genetic abominations that were sent off-world that literally blew up in "The Old Man's" face would be the Replicants.

Scarily though, that means Soldier (1998 starring Kurt Russell) is also part of that shared universe!

Reknoc

Genetic abominations that were sent off-world that literally blew up in "The Old Man's" face would be the Replicants.

Scarily though, that means Soldier (1998 starring Kurt Russell) is also part of that shared universe!

also "a god on top of a pyramid (how the Tyrell building was designed) overlooking a city of angels (LA)"

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
ARGH FUCKING CUNTING ARGH. Computer says no is NOT a valid answer in this post-Little Britain world. It's fucked up and bullshit and I'm not having it.

/vent

Fucking catfish getting in the way of good members having a good time here

dude :|

could also say accusing people of catfishing with very little supportive evidence is not on either. People should be treated as they are presenting as, end of.

edit: actually fuck all this beating around the bush:

Stormtrooper, pls post a verification pic with you holding a bit of paper with your GAF name on it. You can obscure your face if you wish. I've had enough of this petty silliness.

Damn you for jumping on my factoid. Soldier was kind of a shitty film but it's interesting nonetheless.

Reknoc

on the subject of blade runner, how fucking amazing was the game? so good. westwood were kings of their time.

also I had to look up what "catfish" meant because I was confused why anyone would dislike catfish and why one would affect someones posting on here. (undercooked!?)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Damn you for jumping on my factoid. Soldier was kind of a shitty film but it's interesting nonetheless.

It's a fun bit of fluff, but yeah, the continuity easter eggs are pretty cool.

I've always got time for Kurt "The Cheque Is In The Mail" Russell.

on the subject of blade runner, how fucking amazing was the game? so good. westwood were kings of their time.

Oh hell yeah. It was so unpredictable too.

NinjaBoiX

Woah Musha, the Blade Runner connection! I never knew that.
Fucking catfish getting in the way of good members having a good time here
Mike, dude, I love you man, but this "these pesky newcomers are spoiling our fun" attitude is a bit wet. You're going to let your own pre-conceived notions about one new member get under your skin?

Come on mane.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
OK Stormtrooper, I'd like to publicly apologise on behalf of BGAF for some us calling out your identity. If you'd like to talk about it in the thread then I support you. We are usually a friendly and accepting bunch who just happen to have a paranoid streak.

But I now consider this matter closed. From now on, we treat people as they present themselves to us and we leave it at that.

Good?

Good.

Reknoc

It's a fun bit of fluff, but yeah, the continuity easter eggs are pretty cool.

I've always got time for Kurt "The Cheque Is In The Mail" Russell.

Oh hell yeah. It was so unpredictable too.

Yep, pretty sure its one of the few games where your choices actually do affect what happens in game. Also the little girl in that is voiced by the woman who plays Abby in NCIS.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I would like to publicly apologise to meadows and his gf, chinner and that guy from Drake and Josh who used to be fat but is now good looking and played an outrageous thug in Drilbit Taylor

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, pretty sure its one of the few games where your choices actually do affect what happens in game. Also the little girl in that is voiced by the woman who plays Abby in NCIS.

This is a factoid I can get behind. I remember my mate had it and I basically stayed over his to play it. I did it all in one night (got the replicant wrong, of course) even after my mate said "fuck it" and went to bed.

His mum came down in the morning and cooked me breakfast. She's hawt.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I love this, cheers 8bit. I'll take a look at those links (and the Gibson penned Alien 3) tonight... after I've finished GZ :)

So it's called Datamoshing, huh?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I love this, cheers 8bit. I'll take a look at those links (and the Gibson penned Alien 3) tonight... after I've finished GZ :)

So it's called Datamoshing, huh?

It is indeed. The trick (nerd alert) is because compressed video is made up of two types of frames - images (like a BMP) and movement frames (which is just data showing the direction pixels are moving in, imagine lots of little arrows). To datamosh, you're taking the video and selectively removing the image frames so all that's left is the movement which then smushes the pixels around because it's got no reference to check with.

It's complicated, the art seemed to peak in 2010 and from my studies it looks like most codec manufacturers have removed the facility (read:glitch) to do it (I had to roll back my Dshow codecs a fair few versions to get it to work).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It is indeed. The trick (nerd alert) is because compressed video is made up of two types of frames - images (like a BMP) and movement frames (which is just data showing the direction pixels are moving in, imagine lots of little arrows). To datamosh, you're taking the video and selectively removing the image frames so all that's left is the movement which then smushes the pixels around because it's got no reference to check with.

It's complicated, the art seemed to peak in 2010 and from my studies it looks like most codec manufacturers have removed the facility (read:glitch) to do it (I had to roll back my Dshow codecs a fair few versions to get it to work).

Wow. Thanks! I'm always late for things like this.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm liking Monkey Doo at the moment, the only thing I am critical of is the drumming, for the most part I love the free-time feel but some of the fills are a bit weak but towards the end it improves vastly

If it means anything, about 6 months prior to recording that our drummer wasn't a drummer, he was a guitarist. And it was recorded live obvs. So yeah, please excuse our rough edges :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom