• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm pretty sure that's one of the ways you get dysentery.

Maybe if we were pirates. I made an ill advised thread about this once but suffice it to say I've put my tongue in some terrible places. If those germs haven't made me keel over yet, I can't see my own germs doing that much damage.

Any grand national tips?

I have:
Long Run - (€5 EW, 16/1) - Not a great jumper typically but will last the course. Should hopefully place.
The Package (€2 EW, 18/1) - Seems to be gaining traction the last few days. Outside chance of a place.
Shakalakaboomboom (€2 EW, 25/1) - Pure novelty bet. I love NBA Jam.

If you're backing today, make sure to take the price as early as possible since everything collapses closer to the off. Also, if your bookies has a special betting slip for the National, USE IT. This goes double if your handwriting is crap, like mine.

Mistel

Banned
Maybe if we were pirates. I made an ill advised thread about this once but suffice it to say I've put my tongue in some terrible places. If those germs haven't made me keel over yet, I can't see my own germs doing that much damage.
Dying of dysentery and scurvy isn't the most fun thing in the world probably. So where has your tongue been like a hornets nest or white spirit something like that?

NinjaBoiX

Guys, should I go and see a Pink Floyd cover band or some old dudes playing 80's/90's rock covers tonight? Sunderland music scene, lol.

I'd kind of already agreed to the former but the latter is my mate's band and he just lost his job.

Also, what are people up to this weekend? My bro and his lady are up for a visit tommorow, sweet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Guys, should I go and see a Pink Floyd cover band or some old dudes playing 80's/90's rock covers tonight? Sunderland music scene, lol.

I'd kind of already agreed to the former but the latter is my mate's band and he just lost his job.

Also, what are people up to this weekend? My bro and his lady are up for a visit tommorow, sweet.

I reckon the latter sounds more fun to me. More stuff you'll know and enjoy.

Off to Brighton today to play live on BBC South Introducing tonight. If anyone is around and fancies a listen we'll be on around 8 and you can get it online. Will post vids etc later on the week too. Genuinely stoked for this one!

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, the 80's/90's band are playing at The Royalty just round the corner too seems like the obvious choice. I'll see if I can convince those guys to ditch the Floyd and come to this instead.

Good luck tonight Jed! I'll probably miss it but I will try to catch it on the iPlayer tomorrow, but I'm not sure if it covers the regional stations though. Are you guys uploading it to YouTube or anything?

Edit: I didn't read your post properly, I'll catch up when you post the vid.

I'd go with the 80's/90's rock cover band too, definitely more fun than listening to Pink Floyd.

Driving down to Guilford for a friend's birthday later today, staying overnight, then going to a baby shower for another friend tomorrow in Sutton. Lots of fun!

I reckon the latter sounds more fun to me. More stuff you'll know and enjoy.

Off to Brighton today to play live on BBC South Introducing tonight. If anyone is around and fancies a listen we'll be on around 8 and you can get it online. Will post vids etc later on the week too. Genuinely stoked for this one!

Good luck for this Jed, hope it all goes swimmingly for you!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, the 80's/90's band are playing at The Royalty just round the corner too seems like the obvious choice. I'll see if I can convince those guys to ditch the Floyd and come to this instead.

Good luck tonight Jed! I'll probably miss it but I will try to catch it on the iPlayer tomorrow, but I'm not sure if it covers the regional stations though. Are you guys uploading it to YouTube or anything?

Edit: I didn't read your post properly, I'll catch up when you post the vid.

I think iPlayer allows you to search for any show, so Introducing South should be up tomorrow (listening to last weeks now to check out the competition).

jimbor

Banned

I've been to Kent to pick up a quarter of a pig and am now heading to a coffee festival in Shoreditch before getting smashed later.

Tomorrow will be cinema with Russ, seeing Captain America.

AcridMeat

Banned
Watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels last night, off to a classic car race group in a bit. Luckily this bipolar weather decided to be sunny today for it.

Mikeside

I'll be catching up on TV tonight and helping z nurse a hangover tomorrow with pancake breakfast in Guildford, followed by much Game of Thrones, as she's just starting to get into it.

Aw yiss. Turning the girlf into a nerd

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
My favourite character was the shopkeeper. (I have a daughter, I'm allowed to watch Disney movies. I advise against Tinkerbell & the Pirate Fairy though.)

The shopkeeper was great! You're allowed to watch whatever you want, you know. Although I advise against Bratz. I actually saw that at the cinema. Emma then bought it on DVD. Why!??!!?!?!

Oh man, Rayman Legends is so good, have you played Origin? It's even better!

It was Origins on the Vita that won me over (although it took about a year of playing it on and off before I admitted that I could like a happy game)! They're amazing games, aren't they? I wish they sold more. I love the art and the music (especially the music).

I envy you. I wish I could see it for the first time again.

:) It's brilliant. The tune of 'Let it go' was the first thing that came in my head this morning. So nice to see proper heroines too.

Dying of dysentery and scurvy isn't the most fun thing in the world probably

Gout is where it's at.

Good luck!

Some quirky gangster rap for you all...seriously, what other rapper talks about Snapple and fish just as much as crime, and then laments how parents don't beat their children anymore? I love Ghostface.

Kilo by Ghostface Killah

Apollo Kids by Ghostface Killah

Whip You With A Strap by same again

NinjaBoiX

I'm watching Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle for the first time, I haven't seen any of his stuff since the Fist Of Fun days. His opening gag was amazing! I'm paraphrasing, but it was a bit about how you cease to be viewed in a sexual manner by your partner over the years of your marriage:

"Ive been married for 10 years, and I remember going away on tour 9 years ago, after a year of marriage and after a few nights I realised I'd ran out of pants. So I went and bought new ones, and when I got home she noticed the new pants and said, "Ooh, new pants, are you having an affair?" And she said it in a joking manner, but I thought it was nice, that the possibility of me being sexually attractive enough to be having an affair was still plausible in her eyes.

I went on tour last year, after 9 years of marriage, and the same thing happened again. So I buy the new pants, come home, and she says, "what happened, did you shit yourself again?" Now I had shit myself, but it was just a coincidence."

vgiF68P.jpg

8bit

Knows the Score
The shopkeeper was great! You're allowed to watch whatever you want, you know. Although I advise against Bratz. I actually saw that at the cinema. Emma then bought it on DVD. Why!??!!?!?!

Bratz, wow. I've made my other half put up with some shitty stuff in the pursuit of entertainment but I think that would lead to divorce.

Hey, dunno if it's your thing but I'd recommend listening to Antipop Consortium if you're looking for something new to get your ears around. I'm not really comfortable with the conscious rap tag thing but if you're interested in some more creative/thoughtful lyrics they are really good. Fluorescent Black & Arrhythmia are amazing albums, IMO.

Qasiel

I got linked to a Daily Mail (yes, I know) video this morning showing some idiots in Romania picking up an old woman and swinging her around for a "joke". It's pretty awful if I'm honest but I can't stop watching it.

jimbor

Banned
I got linked to a Daily Mail (yes, I know) video this morning showing some idiots in Romania picking up an old woman and swinging her around for a "joke". It's pretty awful if I'm honest but I can't stop watching it.

It took me two views before I laughed.

Still sub hymen scum though.

Qasiel

It took me two views before I laughed.

Still sub hymen scum though.

I think the thing I find so fascinating about it is the gentle way in which he puts her back on the ground. If it was some SE London chavs doing it, they'd have let her go mid-swing and stolen her handbag.

Damn right on the scum front.

Chinner

Banned
rip thread.

remember when we used to have fun.

remember when we used to take the piss.

remember when we used to make jokes and rebel against the mods.

remember when the clique entrapped the thread so they could use it for escapism for living in london.

remember when the clique used to post about how they getd get drunk on j20 and jeagerbombs and dance to rhianna and will.i.am

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
rip thread.

remember when we used to have fun.

remember when we used to take the piss.

remember when we used to make jokes and rebel against the mods.

remember when the clique entrapped the thread so they could use it for escapism for living in london.

remember when the clique used to post about how they getd get drunk on j20 and jeagerbombs and dance to rhianna and will.i.am

Oh, bollocks Chinner.

Remember way back when, before all this new wave stuff, when we could just pop into this thread for a nice cup of tea?

er, no, neither do I.

EDIT: Notice SonofD's railway line is now open again, so planning on a (probably very small) BritGaf meet in Dawlish sometime this summer.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
(8bit thanks for the recommendation. Will check them out.)

So...we saw Cap USA 2 and Noah...

I thought USA 2 was solid and chunky. It was better than Thor 2 but it's all getting a bit sloppy. How many new characters do we need? How many more loose ends? The films are like cockroaches. They end and lay 1000 eggs. The madness must stop.

As fer Noah, I thought it was worth watching but not great. It's definitely brave, the visuals are great and it's much more violent than I expected. But it's also definitely a film of two halves.
First half whizzes along with bucketloads of interesting ideas and visual splendour. Second half is basically Captain Phillips on an Ark.
It was very crunchy. Lots of axes and trampling. Wish we'd gone to see Under The Skin to be honest.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
'evening folks.

Chilling out after a long three weeks paperwork that is *nearly* done (it's always "nearly").

In the last 3 weeks have done legal consulting for medical negligence, a bit of probate, a load of benefits stuff, some minor representation in coroners court and witness statement for a potential murder trial. Also sorting out 20 years worth of paperwork of an (apparently and allegedly) inveterate hoarder.

And I had thought I'd retired to be a plain ornery shopkeeper.

On a related matter - anyone out there want to make an offer for a collection of about 150 swords?

jimbor

Banned
'evening folks.

Chilling out after a long three weeks paperwork that is *nearly* done (it's always "nearly").

In the last 3 weeks have done legal consulting for medical negligence, a bit of probate, a load of benefits stuff, some minor representation in coroners court and witness statement for a potential murder trial. Also sorting out 20 years worth of paperwork of an (apparently and allegedly) inveterate hoarder.

On a related matter - anyone out there want to make an offer for a collection of about 150 swords?
I'll give you a fiver.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'll give you a fiver.

Hmmm. Needs to be a little bit more than that. Haven't got all the way through the collection yet but there's at least 3 nice-looking Katanas amongst a bunch of (probably fake) Toledo stuff.

If you spin it out over time and car boots and markets and suchlike you might be able to wangle £1500 for the lot.

So (and bear in mind this is not a firm offer because the seller is not me and she's asleep now) what, £700 for the lot? £500 at a pinch? Can't go any lower than that.

Found out today that I guy I went to primary school with just got life in prison for murder.

He was never a close friend but I was friendly with him if that makes sense.

The way it happened was really fucked up though. Him and another guy, both my age, broke into a jewelers house while he was in and tortured him, trying to get him to open his safe, which they knew contained precious stones. The man, who was 59, refused. It seems the two gave up and left, but not before burning down the house while the man was still tied up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26529608

I went to school with the guy on the left.

EDIT

Shit a lot of murder talk in the thread, that was not intentional

Reknoc

It was Origins on the Vita that won me over (although it took about a year of playing it on and off before I admitted that I could like a happy game)! They're amazing games, aren't they? I wish they sold more. I love the art and the music (especially the music).

Yea, at least they seem to be doing well enough to keep on going.

And yea the music is amazing, Rayman is a real audio/visual treat while managing to also be a good game!

Argh why do UK newspapers write up about a TV show when it hasn't aired in the UK yet?!

I'm going to have to go on a total lockdown at this rate.

8bit

Knows the Score
Argh why do UK newspapers write up about a TV show when it hasn't aired in the UK yet?!

If it's the Metro I think the only reason that paper exists is to troll anyone that watches Game of Thrones.

'evening folks.

Blimey phi, the beads not keeping you busy enough?

Also re summer Dawlish meet up, I'd be up for that.

Which show?

Ashes

Banned
Goddamn those cunts!

(Still miles behind, I stopped watching it the last time those twats spoiled it.)

Game of Thrones is worth watching even if it is spoiled.

Spoiler: lots and lots and lots of characters from the very first episode to the very last [that will ever be]
will die sooner or later. I think.

Edit: Not that I don't like the Metro. It's just the Daily Mail in disguise.

jimbor

Banned
Found out today that I guy I went to primary school with just got life in prison for murder.

He was never a close friend but I was friendly with him if that makes sense.

The way it happened was really fucked up though. Him and another guy, both my age, broke into a jewelers house while he was in and tortured him, trying to get him to open his safe, which they knew contained precious stones. The man, who was 59, refused. It seems the two gave up and left, but not before burning down the house while the man was still tied up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26529608

I went to school with the guy on the left.

EDIT

Shit a lot of murder talk in the thread, that was not intentional

A kid I went to school with (also beat him up in a fight) smashed his own dad's head in with a baseball bat. Fucked up shit and it made me paranoid that it was somehow my fault for a while.

NinjaBoiX

Game of Thrones is worth watching even if it is spoiled.
Oh, I absolutely love GoT, I just got season 3 spoiled by Metro (The Red Wedding I believe) ages ago and chose to leave it alone for a while hoping I'd maybe forget the spoiler. No such luck.

I'll pick up the season 3 bluray fairly soon and catch up before I walk headlong into more spoilers. The FakeGAF skype chat was rampant last night, I had a quick browse this morning before quickly closing it!

My housemate Pats totally spoiled it for my pal Paulie Mac. I was hyping it up saying how much he should watch it, then Pats is like "oh, the show where
Sean Bean dies
at the end of the first season?"

:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom