• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy birthday Reknoc!

Happy birthday Jedeye Sniv!

Happy birthday Volotaire!

And happy belated birthday for Saturday to CyanideStrike, wherever you may be, you'll always be in our hearts and thoughts :'(

NinjaBoiX

e7dAnL6.jpg

Happy Birthday all

Stayed up to watch GoT last night.

Really rather good, happy the show is back. I love the guy who plays the Hound (who also played Yarp in Hot Fuzz). The script is great but the edge he gives it is so good.gif

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Happy birthday ye all!

It's all me, me, me: my green vita arrived this morning! It's going to be just like my vita. But GREEN. Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh, I absolutely love GoT, I just got season 3 spoiled by Metro (The Red Wedding I believe) ages ago and chose to leave it alone for a while hoping I'd maybe forget the spoiler. No such luck.

I'll pick up the season 3 bluray fairly soon and catch up before I walk headlong into more spoilers. The FakeGAF skype chat was rampant last night, I had a quick browse this morning before quickly closing it!

My housemate Pats totally spoiled it for my pal Paulie Mac. I was hyping it up saying how much he should watch it, then Pats is like "oh, the show where
Sean Bean dies
at the end of the first season?"

:|

Dude I knew what was coming beat for beat and it's still one of the most harrowing things I ever saw on TV. Catch up boyo!!

New episode today is the best pressie ever (shhh don't tell Ellie)

Oh yeah I saw Noah on the weekend.

I recall Son of D asking for my thoughts, boy that film is a bit of head scratcher.

First thing I would say is that, for a Biblical tale, I would stress that it get's quite creative with some of the implied things in different versions of the Bible; be prepared for some stuff that just looks like straight up Fantasy.

If you're apprehensive about the religious themes, I would say the film is, in a modern, self-aware way, very accomodating of various conflicting theories. The big-bang and evolution feature. The word God is not used once in the film. One thing I would say is that the film is very concerned, if not obsessed, with the concept of human coupling and reproduction albeit without much in the way of on screen hank panky. Much is made of a man needing a woman, and having a woman makes a man a man and this makes him happy et cetera. Although there is a certain kind of simple but essential reasoning behind this.

In terms of just how it is as a movie and not how it might be controversial, most of the performances are good. Russell Crowe plays quite a complex Noah (there's a good chunk of the film where you'll end up despising him.) Ray Winstone is also good but the rest of the cast is so-so. Noah's wife is played by Jeniffer Connelly, an actress I've never taken to personally. There's not a lot of on screen chemistry between her and Noah, their relationship lacks a certain warmth. Emma Watson is pretty good.

The film isn't boring by any means, but it would be very easy to divide the film into parts where the pace and tone changes quite a lot. The first half hour reminded me a little of The Road, later on it really gets quite dark in a different way. The flaw with the film I think is that there's a clear bit in the movie where there could have been a resolution and then an ending. Instead the film does something different which isn't entirely satisfying and adds unnecessary running time.

Overall it's a film that takes quite a dry fable in a lot of unexpected directions and is interesting for doing that. But whether or not you'll enjoy it or not is not for me to say. For me it's a 3/5 that conjures up some interesting discussion.

8bit

Knows the Score
I've never seen Game of Thrones. Or Breaking Bad.

Question Time rules. David Dimbleby > all.

Question Time is Jeremy Kyle for people with jobs.

I've not seen it in some time, but I don't expect it have changed much if Farage is on it as often as I've heard.

I haven't seen more than 20 minutes of Breaking Bad, just enough to form the opinion that the lead character was a wank and I didn't care what happened and I've never been able to enjoy fantasy so very little point in trying Game of Thrones.

Reknoc

Thanks guys

My housemate Pats totally spoiled it for my pal Paulie Mac. I was hyping it up saying how much he should watch it, then Pats is like "oh, the show where
Sean Bean dies
at the end of the first season?"

:|

Possibly the least spoilery spoiler around.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I recall Son of D asking for my thoughts, boy that film is a bit of head scratcher.

First thing I would say is that, for a Biblical tale, I would stress that it get's quite creative with some of the implied things in different versions of the Bible; be prepared for some stuff that just looks like straight up Fantasy.

If you're apprehensive about the religious themes, I would say the film is, in a modern, self-aware way, very accomodating of various conflicting theories. The big-bang and evolution feature. The word God is not used once in the film. One thing I would say is that the film is very concerned, if not obsessed, with the concept of human coupling and reproduction albeit without much in the way of on screen hank panky. Much is made of a man needing a woman, and having a woman makes a man a man and this makes him happy et cetera. Although there is a certain kind of simple but essential reasoning behind this.

In terms of just how it is as a movie and not how it might be controversial, most of the performances are good. Russell Crowe plays quite a complex Noah (there's a good chunk of the film where you'll end up despising him.) Ray Winstone is also good but the rest of the cast is so-so. Noah's wife is played by Jeniffer Connelly, an actress I've never taken to personally. There's not a lot of on screen chemistry between her and Noah, their relationship lacks a certain warmth. Emma Watson is pretty good.

The film isn't boring by any means, but it would be very easy to divide the film into parts where the pace and tone changes quite a lot. The first half hour reminded me a little of The Road, later on it really gets quite dark in a different way. The flaw with the film I think is that there's a clear bit in the movie where there could have been a resolution and then an ending. Instead the film does something different which isn't entirely satisfying and adds unnecessary running time.

Overall it's a film that takes quite a dry fable in a lot of unexpected directions and is interesting for doing that. But whether or not you'll enjoy it or not is not for me to say. For me it's a 3/5 that conjures up some interesting discussion.

Very nicely put. I thought the first half was great gonzo cinema and the second half was Captain Phillips on an Ark (I'm repeating myself). Noah 's two eldest sons were very easy on the eye though.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
How about The Wire?

Love, I read the Wire. I don't watch it. BURN

Seriously though, I just don't watch that much TV to be honest. For the past however many years my diet has just been Simpsons, Futurama and Question Time. I tried once to branch out but I can't make the commitment.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Question Time is Jeremy Kyle for people with jobs.

I've not seen it in some time, but I don't expect it have changed much if Farage is on it as often as I've heard.

That's why I love it! It's very therapeutic. I love it when you get some random moron in the audience who begins ranting too. It's great.

The last time it had an effect on me was when Saddam Galloway was on it and did nothing but make sense. It was unnerving but I ended up liking him.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Love, I read the Wire. I don't watch it. BURN

Seriously though, I just don't watch that much TV to be honest. For the past however many years my diet has just been Simpsons, Futurama and Question Time. I tried once to branch out but I can't make the commitment.

Sweetie, that has to be the single most cultured burn I've ever encountered. Bravo!

I think you'd like The Wire. It's very thoughtful. Incredibly ambitious too, without sacrificing the personal tales of the characters. Most people say it is The Best Television Show Of All Time... but I think they're under selling it a bit. :)

Futurama is a damn fine show.

"All I know is my gut says, maybe."

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sweetie, that has to be the single most cultured burn I've ever encountered. Bravo!

I think you'd like The Wire. It's very thoughtful. Incredibly ambitious too, without sacrificing the personal tales of the characters. Most people say it is The Best Television Show Of All Time... but I think they're under selling it a bit. :)

Futurama is a damn fine show.

"All I know is my gut says, maybe."

:D

It's so good!

(imagine I'm posting a hypnotoad gif)

My last boss tried to get me to watch it. It didn't work out though, although I did find out about Steve Earle because of it.

That's why I love it! It's very therapeutic. I love it when you get some random moron in the audience who begins ranting too. It's great.

The last time it had an effect on me was when Saddam Galloway was on it and did nothing but make sense. It was unnerving but I ended up liking him.

QT can be really good but it's at its best when there's someone like Peter Hitchens on to rile things up, or just someone getting slaughtered in general. The last episode I watched was hilarious. One of the questions that came up was about racism in the police. This Scottish woman stood up and started talking and every time she used the words "police station" it sounded like she was complaining about Playstation.

Obligatory video on the topic of QT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tUqRBiMVo

NinjaBoiX

My last boss tried to get me to watch it. It didn't work out though, although I did find out about Steve Earle because of it.
Ah, Steve Earle fan eh? You should check out Treme, another David Simon HBO show. He plays Harley Watt in it.

xSadmAC.jpg

It's set in New Orleans shortly after Hurricane Katrina as people try to come to terms with it and put their lives back together. So so good man, and the music is phenomenal as you'd expect from the setting. Watch it!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm sorry both of you, I'm a waste of time. It could be the most magical programme in the world, but I can't break my habit.

jimbor

Banned

That's an awful lot of writing for a terrible pun.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
RIP Jimbor. Getting yourself banned over Peaches, c'mon lad. That was a a bit silly now wasn't it?

Son Of D

EDIT: Notice SonofD's railway line is now open again, so planning on a (probably very small) BritGaf meet in Dawlish sometime this summer.

Also re summer Dawlish meet up, I'd be up for that.

I might be up for that. The trains look pretty good from Bristol.

Well there's a few quotes that I never thought to have seen on GAF... or any gaming forum. Not that I'm complaining mind.

Noah thoughts

Thanks for the write up. Seems interesting still, I'll consider seeing it myself.

Pretty good opening ep to the season. I won't say anymore for you slowpokes who haven't watched it yet, but I am excited for what's to come!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Holy shit Filth is a hilarious movie. Watching James McAvoy snort cocaine, fuck anything, drink everything, be racist and swear at children could not be more fun. I'd definitely recommend it for a fun, trippy watch.

8bit

Knows the Score
Holy shit Filth is a hilarious movie. Watching James McAvoy snort cocaine, fuck anything, drink everything, be racist and swear at children could not be more fun. I'd definitely recommend it for a fun, trippy watch.

I had some doubts about McAvoy as Robertson was a bit older in my mind, but his performance is fantastic. Also, the early sequence where Robertson & partner bust the dealer with the underage girlfriend was filmed 5 minutes walk from where I used to live in Glasgow so I was delighted to see that area again.

Moss_heights_morrsion.jpg

Still, at least the council aren't blowing these ones up for a few seconds of entertainment when opening the Commonwealth Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom