• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Gomez! Fucking great band, so my jam in school. My mates took the piss and called it dad-rock, lol. Bring It On is such a mint record man. The lead guitar on this track sounds incredible:

Gomez - Get Myself Arrested

I have no idea what pedals/filters he uses but it sounds so boss. Love this tune, love that riff.

Mikeside

Listening to the Jed tape while out and about. It's good, this one. Nothing I don't like. I don't even mind Conor Oberst! I think if I had to pick early faves it would be Boris Bike, Tall Ships and the Bill Callahan one. It's very epic! Oh the Cave In song is marvellous too. Mikeside you are up next, once I've given this one a good few more listens.

ps the Parachute for Gordo BBC session vids are great.

Belated happy birthday! Enjoy the mix, I think it's choppy but soppy and fun

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Gomez! Fucking great band, so my jam in school. My mates took the piss and called it dad-rock, lol. Bring It On is such a mint record man. The lead guitar on this track sounds incredible:

I have no idea what pedals/filters he uses but it sounds so boss. Love this tune, love that riff.

Aye, they were a proper top band, one of my obsessions at age 14-16. For a time I had (and still have as MP3s) every single and B-side they ever did. Probably more mint stuff in the offcuts than is even on the albums.

Looking back at them it's hilarious all the weed references that went right over my head at that age. I thought when he was singing about "only growing for me" it was a gay thing and he was talking about his cock. Which shows how not-homophobic I was as a 15 year old in 1998 /proud

Also, how awesome is my boss? I just got the following email: "Are we kicking ass or what – what could possibly go wrong over the next couple of months?" which was very nice of him because I've been working my arse off lately (lots and lots that can go wrong with Exams). His daughters bake cakes too and he bought me blueberry muffins in last week too. What a bro.

NinjaBoiX

Phew! Birthday. Shopping done! You can expect to see photographs of wot I got shortly.
Sweet! Glad you've had a nice time mate.
Looking back at them it's hilarious all the weed references that went right over my head at that age. I thought when he was singing about "only growing for me" it was a gay thing and he was talking about his cock. Which shows how not-homophobic I was as a 15 year old in 1998.
Oh god! I haven't listened to them in years, I never put that together either. Teenage me:

tumblr_mgdkf0Kjt01qf9jkto1_400.gif

Me and my mates all thought the same, that it was some homosexual euphemism. Of course, being a shortarse, I always got "he never grows, for guys he knows and me". :/

And yeah, your boss sounds like a swell guy!

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh man I just found this song on my random that I had entirely forgotten about, now I kinda wish I'd put it on my mix.

Gomez - Rie's Wagon

Awesome tunes guys, hadn't heard them before. I'm working on a playlist focused on rock and hip hop now. Will check out the mixes I haven't heard yet in the meantime.

AcridMeat

Banned
The hell Mike's playlist is the exact same as mine, 16 songs, 61 minutes. Funny that. Only just at the beginning but enjoying so far.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've made a mixtape and posted it over on my blog : http://globalvariables.net/audio.out/2014/04/29/butyouregettingdryer/

It wasn't directly for this but coincidentally timed, however I'm particularly pleased that I've been able to restore the old posts from 2006-2009 ish when I actually had an audience and I'm kind of enjoying reading my old posts.

To be fair I don't think any of you really care for early 90s techno/pop/indie crossover stuff but I had fun dammit!
I'm not an audiophile by any means so maybe I'm just easily impressed but the sound quality felt great on this.

- There's something wrong with 8bit's nature!

- I'm not a politician, I'm a business-man!

Good stuff.

ALSO:

=,(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QKMFBiA1oA

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sweet! Glad you've had a nice time mate.

Ta! I can't be bothered faffing with photos but I got some good comic books, a big chunky fashion illustration book, some earrings and some nice records. There you go.

Perhaps of more interest, there's a Trials Fusion demo on PSN, so I tried it. Not easy, is it?! I did laugh out loud quite a lot though, it's great fun watching your poor little driver get bashed about. The "Cindy" voice is very annoying though. Judging by how far everyone else is ahead of me, I doubt I'll ever get into it, but it's obviously pretty good.

I'm wondering about Child of Light - the reviews are a bit mixed so I dunno. I'm about 160 odd percent into Fez but the puzzles that are left are the really hard ones (at least to me).

AcridMeat

Banned
Which comics? Which records? Glad to hear it was a good time.

Played Trials Fusion at PAX East and had a good time. Thing is I still have a lot of the last game to get through, so don't know if it's worth picking this one up just yet. Did you try the trick system at all? That's new and makes for some hilarious wipeouts.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Got Acrid's mix on the go. Tighten Up is a damn AMAZING song, if nothing else this mix has put that in my life. Only on track 2 but holy damn is that loud compared to the first track lmao. Loudness wars just dropped a nuke.

AcridMeat

Banned
Got Acrid's mix on the go. Tighten Up is a damn AMAZING song, if nothing else this mix has put that in my life. Only on track 2 but holy damn is that loud compared to the first track lmao. Loudness wars just dropped a nuke.
Yeah unfortunately I didn't do anything to the levels of each track. It happens again (this time from consistent volume to lower). The plights of having new recordings in the last 10 years and recordings from 40+ years ago. :/ As such headphones aren't really good for it. I'm bad.

I kind of threw some random shit in the end there, which is why I'm working on another I want to be a lot tighter.

edit: Was originally going to throw all of the tracks in audacity and have one big track, would have equalized then. Oversight on my part when I didn't.

Mike, Brand New :D. Liking this mix a lot.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Which comics? Which records? Glad to hear it was a good time.

Played Trials Fusion at PAX East and had a good time. Thing is I still have a lot of the last game to get through, so don't know if it's worth picking this one up just yet. Did you try the trick system at all? That's new and makes for some hilarious wipeouts.

Bon. It doesn't take much encouragement..

These two Drawn & Quarterly books (White Cube is hilarious, it's about two pink-headed twins who go around doing 'art' in real life):

yMoDaNH.jpg

More books:

6uLwpeC.jpg

I like outsider art and music and this sounded good:

y7VuHqz.jpg

Josephine Foster is one of my favourite musicians ever:

lwdTqbs.jpg

From what I listened to, this is Welsh folk music but played with Chinese musicians in China:

a7DQWTN.jpg

AcridMeat

Banned
Mike this Twin Peaks cover is so good. All I need too B|.
(White Cube is hilarious, it's about two pink-headed twins who go around doing 'art' in real life):

yMoDaNH.jpg

From what I listened to, this is Welsh folk music but played with Chinese musicians in China:

a7DQWTN.jpg
These two (White Cube & The Gentle Good) covers are very enticing. White Cube sounds like fun I'll have to keep an eye out. Looking at google images this is pretty funny.

edit: Hahahahahaha

NinjaBoiX

Onto Jed's mix. Intro track is balls to the wall fun.
Blew me away. Those riffs are just thunderous.

Amazing track.
Ta! I can't be bothered faffing with photos but I got some good comic books, a big chunky fashion illustration book, some earrings and some nice records. There you go.

Perhaps of more interest, there's a Trials Fusion demo on PSN, so I tried it. Not easy, is it?! I did laugh out loud quite a lot though, it's great fun watching your poor little driver get bashed about. The "Cindy" voice is very annoying though. Judging by how far everyone else is ahead of me, I doubt I'll ever get into it, but it's obviously pretty good.

I'm wondering about Child of Light - the reviews are a bit mixed so I dunno. I'm about 160 odd percent into Fez but the puzzles that are left are the really hard ones (at least to me).
Sounds like you got some decent goodies Sploat, happy days. And yeah, Trials is a cruel mistress, it's got more a learning cliff than a curve. I like the look of Child of Light, Eurogamer seemed impressed, and it's built on that UbiArt engine they used for Rayman if that convinces you!
Is that Tighten Up by The Black Keys? Choice if so.

Yours won't load Acrid, just says so in a pop-up box. How do I play rar files? Will they not play in VLC?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You have to unzip rar files, you can't just play the .rar, ninja. lol

Google winrar and you should be able to install a trial version to unpack the files.

AcridMeat

Banned
Forgot Ninja doesn't own a computer. Christ almighty I'll need to upload the tracks individually, doing so now. Not sure if the tags will work for ninja, hopefully they do. Jed did they appear as the track listing has them? If it had Tighten Up then Space Wax America then solid.

edit: Kudos on the Shellac by the way.

why don't you fill in the OP questionnaire so people can take the michael

i am pretty sure i filled it in a while back but i've actually subscribed to this thread now & will/might put the effort in to be social so...

When is your birthday: 18th of may.
Where do you live: brighton.
Where are you from: yeovil, somerset.
What do you do: sales team leader at maplin electronics, compose freelance for games n' stuff.
What is your quest: bring back the girl, pay off the debt.
Favourite actor/actress: daniel day lewis.
Favourite band/artist: mastodon/ garry schyman.
Favourite TV show: game o' thrones, stop it & tidy up.
Favourite crisps: beefy monster munch.
Favourite biscuit: all of them. every single one.
Least favourite Pokémon: anything that isn't either koffing or psyduck.
Stalactites or stalagmites: volcano.
How do you cut your sandwiches: a man does not cut, a man tears apart.

AcridMeat

Banned
Whose mix is By Unpopular Demand again? Digging it.

Oh fuck me Love Train just came on. One of my dad's favorite songs, grew up with this blasting in the living room and car. Hell yeah!

edit: MOTHER FUCKING CENTERFOLD ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I love you.

Just saw Kool & The Gang is on here too, you sly mother yucker.

8bit

Knows the Score
- I'm not a politician, I'm a business-man!

Fuck, that's Bob Hoskins is't it? :(

Thanks for listening to it, writing that up and getting the old posts restored to the blog has been a remarkably enjoyable experience and has helped diffuse some frustrations I've had this year.

I'll try to get on with listening to some of the other mixes soon, promise!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Fuck, that's Bob Hoskins is't it? :(

Thanks for listening to it, writing that up and getting the old posts restored to the blog has been a remarkably enjoyable experience and has helped diffuse some frustrations I've had this year.

I'll try to get on with listening to some of the other mixes soon, promise!
Yeah it's a cool little blog. I'd definitely follow your posts since your musical recommendations on here have always been top shelf.

Mikeside

Mike, Brand New :D. Liking this mix a lot.

Mike this Twin Peaks cover is so good. All I need too B|.

Glad you enjoyed, buddy - Brand New are my favourite band right now, they're great recorded and they're fucking AMAZING live.

Field Mouse are exciting too - I'm waiting for them to finish up their debut album & get it out there.

There's something about fresh, new bands in the early days of putting out content, isn't there? It's all so dangerous & unpredictable.

Glad you enjoyed, buddy - Brand New are my favourite band right now, they're great recorded and they're fucking AMAZING live.
Any idea how enjoyable they'd be for someone who has only vaguely listened to them? I'm probably gonna watch them when they play on Friday (might be Saturday, I forget), but can only really remember a couple of songs.

Mikeside

Any idea how enjoyable they'd be for someone who has only vaguely listened to them? I'm probably gonna watch them when they play on Friday (might be Saturday, I forget), but can only really remember a couple of songs.

I think they'll still be really enjoyable - it's an intense set they're playing right now and they play a lot of their old songs in interesting and fun ways but the main thing is that they sound great, they've got a quiet/loud dynamic that's awesome live & a lot of showmanship.

I'd say give a listen to Deja Entendu and The Devil & God Are Raging Inside Me to see what you think & get a bit more familiar with their stuff.

Either way you're in for a treat.

AcridMeat

Banned

Field Mouse are exciting too - I'm waiting for them to finish up their debut album & get it out there.

There's something about fresh, new bands in the early days of putting out content, isn't there? It's all so dangerous & unpredictable.
Need to listen again but the Los Campesinos track may be my favorite.

It was hot as a mother today so I decided to make the drive here and veg out a bit with some playlists and reading.
Love the drive to that beach in particular, it's like our own Akagi for anyone who knows Initial D. Nice long windy road with a lot of elevation change for those who don't.

SKINNER!

Banned
Need to listen again but the Los Campesinos track may be my favorite.

It was hot as a mother today so I decided to make the drive here and veg out a bit with some playlists and reading.

Love the drive to that beach in particular, it's like our own Akagi for anyone who knows Initial D. Nice long windy road with a lot of elevation change for those who don't.

Maaaan, should've snuck into your luggage and stayed in San Fran :p Dat sunshine/beach combo yo!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Whose mix is By Unpopular Demand again? Digging it.

Oh fuck me Love Train just came on. One of my dad's favorite songs, grew up with this blasting in the living room and car. Hell yeah!

edit: MOTHER FUCKING CENTERFOLD ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I love you.

Just saw Kool & The Gang is on here too, you sly mother yucker.

Papa BBW's.

I think I've successfully managed to convey that I do actually listen to stuff outside of Mario theme tunes. ;)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi everyone...what's new?

Back in work today (albeit working from home) and that crushing feeling that I should've just taken the whole week off. Hoping to finish what I need to today so I can take tomorrow off. Bah.

Since the hard drive in my laptop died I've been curiously not upset by the whole thing. I can still get the internet at home via the PS4's dogshit browser or on my phone but generally I've been getting along by doing things like watching programmes on iPlayer (I don't have a TV, there is no communal space with a TV). So i've been watching things I haven't seen in a while like Pointless which I really enjoy, Richard Osman ftw.

I've been getting to bed at better times and I've actually been reading for the first time in months since my evenings are usually split between PS4, general browsing and eating.

The only thing I miss is being able to watch GoT as it comes out (after getting around Virgin's blocking). As of now I have no way to watch the new episodes so I'm stuck at three episodes in.

Another prime concern is me time. Nuff said.

I've investigated the laptop and removing the hard drive won't be complicated. I plan to just replace the hard drive but I'm wondering if I need to look beyond size (2.5 inch) and size (500GB) for compatability.

i am pretty sure i filled it in a while back but i've actually subscribed to this thread now & will/might put the effort in to be social so...

Favourite band/artist: mastodon

I like you.

sportsfriends_launch_london_by_digi_matrix-d7glvav.png

http://gutefabrik.com/blog/?p=2520

Ooh this looks like a cool event, never been to the Loading Bar but they're going to have the launch of Sportsfriends. That cool looking indie sports game collection. Sister is up for it, would be nice to have fun after my final day of exams.

This is why you should come to more meets, we went to Loading after Eurogamer last year, although that was in it's previous location. I've not been to the new site yet, will be checking it out soon at some point no doubt.

FakeGAF and BritGAF are gradually coalescing.

I'm not sure I like it.

What the hell is Fakegaf?

Hi everyone...what's new?

Back in work today (albeit working from home) and that crushing feeling that I should've just taken the whole week off. Hoping to finish what I need to today so I can take tomorrow off. Bah.

Hi sploat! Sounds like you had some nice time off, it's always sucky going back to work after.

I'm off to a script meeting with my comic book guys later, should be a blast!

Since the hard drive in my laptop died I've been curiously not upset by the whole thing. I can still get the internet at home via the PS4's dogshit browser or on my phone but generally I've been getting along by doing things like watching programmes on iPlayer (I don't have a TV, there is no communal space with a TV). So i've been watching things I haven't seen in a while like Pointless which I really enjoy, Richard Osman ftw.

Pointless is brill. Classic 'shout-answers-at-the-telly' stuff.

I think I've only ever got two pointless answers though: one about Beach Boys singles, and one about US state capitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom