• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Laughing heartily at the recent developments here. Just call me when you need help with any American quests.
This is a fair point.

As is this.

Everyone watch Exit Through The Gift Shop please. Thanks.

Edit: Link to full movie.
It could be that I'm not remembering it well, as it's been a few years since I've seen it, but I don't think that documentary will change their view points and are still valid.

edit: sploats would Green Scar make more sense to you?! WOULD IT?!

Slowdive

Banned
Whoever he is, I don't trust him. Hot...cold...man?! What can it mean!!?!!

Introducci%C3%B3n_-_MGSPW_-_Coldman.png

NinjaBoiX

It could be that I'm not remembering it well, as it's been a few years since I've seen it, but I don't think that documentary will change their view points and are still valid.
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion and I don't think the film will, I agree with what people said in the main. His art is cool, but the wave of hype has kind of passed. It's just a really enjoyable watch, I was just plugging it again more than anything.

It was released four years ago to be fair, kind of at the height of his fame. But it's quite refreshing that it's not really about him, and he seems like a fairly humble, self-effacing kind of dude. Really funny to boot.

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion and I don't think the film will, I agree with what people said in the main. His art is cool, but the wave of hype has kind of passed. It's just a really enjoyable watch, I was just plugging it again more than anything.

It was released four years ago to be fair, kind of at the height of his fame. But it's quite refreshing that it's not really about him, and he seems like a fairly humble, self-effacing kind of dude. Really funny to boot.
Yeah had a feeling that was the case. It is good, and it gets to a weird place towards the end. It felt like a mockumentary at a certain point. I liked that it wasn't what I expected definitely. Still not entirely sure if that goofy guy was for real or a made up character.

I had no idea that Banksy was still drawing huge attention when he tags somewhere. How do they know it's even his work to begin with? While his work is nice and good, it's hardly stuff that a copy cat couldn't do. It's mostly stencil work right?

I was playing Mark Ecko's Getting Up a few weeks ago, which uses graffiti in the way I originally imagined it. Interesting game, but clunky and old.

NinjaBoiX

I loved that Mark Ecko game! It was a bit wonky, but I had fun with it.

I'm pretty sure Thierry Guetta is the real deal. He's worth around $10 million now. Massively derivative, but clearly a shrewd businessman.

And I have no idea how they tell a real Banksy from a copycat anymore, his style is so ubiquitous nowadays. But some of his best work is so clearly him; that inimitable mix of striking imagery and astute social satire. I love this one:

zs7ojZ7.jpg

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
If there's a JRPG I wanna be the shopkeeper guy. Sell you anything in exchange for debt.

MEAT I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU USED THE TERM MULTI NODAL IN AN INTERNAL COMMUNICATION! AND A PARTNER WAS COPIED IN TOO! THEY WILL BOTH READ THE EMAIL AND CARE! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THE PRESSURE I AM UNDER! YOU SIMPLY DON'T WRITE MULTI NODAL WHEN YOU EMAIL A (GASP) PARTNER! A PARTNER! I WILL REMEMBER THIS FOREVER! PLEASE PASS EVERY ONE LINE EMAIL TO ME PRIOR TO SENDING FOR MY REVIEW.

this stuff really happens

Goodness, I am so glad to be free of all this sort of crap at last.

Meanwhile, where is Jimbor? Got a bone to pick with that guy. "Boring old fart" indeed. Step outside and say that and I shall bore you to death.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not to be a party pooper, but are we saying that when one wins a battle you win debt?

Would we be pushing it if we called the baddies "The Red Names"? ;)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I'm on the 'right' side of it now I'm a boss lady but you can never really escape. Bosses have bosses. And those bosses have bosses. It's like a gigantic mountain of neurosis and fear.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm on the 'right' side of it now I'm a boss lady but you can never really escape. Bosses have bosses. And those bosses have bosses. It's like a gigantic mountain of neurosis and fear.

And stupidity. It's easy for stupid to float upwards.

(Not that I'm suggesting all bosses are stupid, but I've bounced off some really amazingly idiotic people in high places.)

NinjaBoiX

(Not that I'm suggesting all bosses are stupid, but I've bounced off some really amazingly idiotic people in high places.)
The Peter Principle.

Wikipedia said:
The Peter Principle is a concept in management theory in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on their performance in their current role rather than on their abilities relevant to the intended role. It is named after Laurence J. Peter who co-authored the humorous 1969 book The Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong with Raymond Hull. The authors suggest that people will tend to be promoted until they reach their "position of incompetence".

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

It is. And there's no "right" side. Well, not mostly - not unless you cut through all the crap.

Did that big time once. Had a huge row with my own board (and the several layers of management in between stood aside to watch, shame on them). Trouble is, I won the argument and saved the company millions. But winning that particular argument that publicly was apparently unforgiveable.

Quit the job soon after, but I was pretty damn proud of what I did.

If you ever need layers of crap cutting through, then I am your man. Usually takes only about 3-6 days work, as I am pretty bloody ruthless. Comes expensive these days, as it is much nicer having a shop.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Can I please be the princess you have to rescue only when you get to the meet up venue I've been taken elsewhere?

omg reinforcing gender roles damsel trope misogyny

You should be the damsel that the player thinks they're going to rescue but then they have to fight you as a boss and only when they win can they have you as a party character.

Boom. Come on, that's gold that is.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
omg reinforcing gender roles damsel trope misogyny

You should be the damsel that the player thinks they're going to rescue but then they have to fight you as a boss and only when they win can they have you as a party character.

Boom. Come on, that's gold that is.

Let me get this straight: to avoid reinforcing a misogynistic gender stereotype, we make her character conniving and duplicitous, and the only course of action involves beating her up and enslaving her?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Let me get this straight: to avoid reinforcing a misogynistic gender stereotype, we make her character conniving and duplicitous, and the only course of action involves beating her up and enslaving her?

Stereotype Musha at your peril. You have been warned.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

This is true.

Can I please be the princess you have to rescue only when you get to the meet up venue I've been taken elsewhere?

You see, I'd grow up wanting to be the princess and then realise I was in fact the kindly old and slightly strange lady living in the cottage with her 'good friend'.

The Peter Principle.

Truth.

It is. And there's no "right" side. Well, not mostly - not unless you cut through all the crap.

Did that big time once. Had a huge row with my own board (and the several layers of management in between stood aside to watch, shame on them). Trouble is, I won the argument and saved the company millions. But winning that particular argument that publicly was apparently unforgiveable.

Quit the job soon after, but I was pretty damn proud of what I did.

If you ever need layers of crap cutting through, then I am your man. Usually takes only about 3-6 days work, as I am pretty bloody ruthless. Comes expensive these days, as it is much nicer having a shop.

You sound almost exactly like a close friend of mine. He was very senior at bizness and decided it was too much nonsense. He has a gorgeous flat though. And goes on all-gay round the world cruises. That's success, if you ask me.

Just finished now. Waiting for train. First class return! Multipack biscuits await!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So homework is to look into RPG Maker(s) so you understand what can be done with them and to write a brief scenario.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Oh shit, Austria to win Eurovision. The bearded lady has a smashing voice and the song is pretty decent too!

I've only seen pics (and think I mentioned before) but she (is it she? I don't know (ps not being transphobic I just don't know)) looks pretty and makes me confused.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I've only seen pics (and think I mentioned before) but she (is it she? I don't know (ps not being transphobic I just don't know)) looks pretty and makes me confused.

Just followed through on this (never heard of it before). Originally male I think, though I have no idea what is going on. But whatever, the song is pretty crap.

EDIT: Oops. Musha disagrees - maybe I am wrong? Or maybe the other songs are just more crap?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Just followed through on this (never heard of it before). Originally male I think, though I have no idea what is going on. But whatever, the song is pretty crap.

EDIT: Oops. Musha disagrees - maybe I am wrong? Or maybe the other songs are just more crap?

This is going to make me sound even more pathetic than I usually do, but I've become so hermited that I now think of anyone out drinking at the weekend (or anyone that looks like they belong in a club) as a different species to me. I call them 'night people'. I have no idea about anything to do with night people at all. If I'm not wasting my life on games, I like my comfy chair, a fresh pot of tea, my knitting and a record on. Maybe a ren and stimpy DVD if I'm feeling wild.

AcridMeat

Banned
This is going to make me sound even more pathetic than I usually do, but I've become so hermited that I now think of anyone out drinking at the weekend (or anyone that looks like they belong in a club) as a different species to me. I call them 'night people'. I have no idea about anything to do with night people at all. If I'm not wasting my life on games, I like my comfy chair, a fresh pot of tea, my knitting and a record on. Maybe a ren and stimpy DVD if I'm feeling wild.
Hi best friend.

this is all stuff to do after night out drinking tbh

jimbor

Banned
If there's a JRPG I wanna be the shopkeeper guy. Sell you anything in exchange for debt.

Meanwhile, where is Jimbor? Got a bone to pick with that guy. "Boring old fart" indeed. Step outside and say that and I shall bore you to death.

Man I crack me up.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

We are probably all of a oneness here. Or at least I am.

I'm with you at least on the comfy chair. Switch the tea for coffee, the knitting for a banjo (it is pretty well the same rhythmic technique except the one makes sounds and the other makes scarves) and the record for a radio with Test Match Special and I am all yours Sploat.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi best friend.

this is all stuff to do after night out drinking tbh

Look I used to have a social life. Alright? ALRIGHT? I COULD IF I WANTED TO ALRIGHT?!

We are probably all of a oneness here. Or at least I am.

I'm with you at least on the comfy chair. Switch the tea for coffee, the knitting for a banjo (it is pretty well the same rhythmic technique except the one makes sounds and the other makes scarves) and the record for a radio with Test Match Special and I am all yours Sploat.

Yay! NicerelaxingGAF unite!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Where to start...

Pls don't kick off with me. It was meant to be complimentary. If she identifies as she I'm ok with that. If he identifies as he I'm ok with that. If ze / hir identifies that way I'm ok with that.

I haven't been following Eurovision is all.

Then again if you are spoiling for a rumble you know I'm good for it.

Actually, you've wound me up now just by posting that. God damnit Stormtrooper you are my kryptonite.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

He calls the people he holds dearest by the worst names, not trying to brag but he calls me a cunt all the time

To be fair sploat I'm not sure what he/she is either, is he a transvestite or is she transsexual? Was trying to work it out earlier. Doesn't have boobs so hasn't had surgery and isn't on any hormone therapy, so I'm going with transvestite. Plus no ladies I know would have a beard on purpose (except me, I always wanted a long beard like the dude off Kill Bill which I could stroke when I'm thinking. But I digress). But yeah, is also very beautiful, I can't stop looking at herm!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That's practically a marriage proposal in his culture

You speak the language of the night people.

To be fair sploat I'm not sure what he/she is either, is he a transvestite or is she transsexual? Was trying to work it out earlier. Doesn't have boobs so hasn't had surgery and isn't on any hormone therapy, so I'm going with transvestite. Plus no ladies I know would have a beard on purpose (except me, I always wanted a long beard like the dude off Kill Bill which I could stroke when I'm thinking. But I digress). But yeah, is also very beautiful, I can't stop looking at herm!

God bless the androgynous for being so attractive they can present however they want.

Right. I've defrazzled from work and I'm off to bed. My post count must be stratospheric tonight. Night night BritGAFfers.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yeah love him, almost feel like he is severely underrated. Definitely needs more kudos for the depth he brings to his roles. I feel like the guy he plays in Way Way Back could easily be on some Dane Cook level shit but he makes it way better in giving his character a realism beyond just being goofy for the sake of it.

Have you seen Perks of Being a Wallflower yet?

Definitely. He's just so fun to watch in serious and funny roles. He can be laid-back, he can be psychotic (Seven Psychopaths) or he can carry serious films entirely on his back (Moon). I particularly adore his performance in The Assassination of Jesse James. Also, they really do try and crowbar in his dancing into as many films as possible haha.

So weird that the Way Way Back was written and directed by the Dean from Community. Who also happens to have an Oscar. Because why not?

Perks has been on my watchlist since I missed it in the cinemas. I just noticed that it is on Amazon streaming so that will be next up I think, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom