• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I missed that one, the music wasn't my only issue with GTAV, I didn't like the characters, and things like playing as the dog and the marijuana experience were all really off-putting.

Haha! Yeah, R* do have a juvenile streak a mile-wide. It had about as accurate a representation of marijuana use as Breakfast Club did. Still, it gave me a chuckle.

I dunno, I found the characters were really interesting, except Franklin, he didn't seem nearly as well developed as Trevor or Michael. The whole story did end a bit... suddenly too.

I'm one of those weirdos who thinks Niko Bellic was a brilliantly drawn character, so my judgements on such matters shouldn't be trusted XD.

8bit

Knows the Score
Haha! Yeah, R* do have a juvenile streak a mile-wide. It had about as accurate a representation of marijuana use as Breakfast Club did. Still, it gave me a chuckle.

I dunno, I found the characters were really interesting, except Franklin, he didn't seem nearly as well developed as Trevor or Michael. The whole story did end a bit... suddenly too.

I'm one of those weirdos who thinks Niko Bellic was a brilliantly drawn character, so my judgements on such matters shouldn't be trusted XD.

I'd agree about Niko, I felt that watching his life fall to pieces in such a crushing fashion made for a more compelling game.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I found the end of GTA4 very emotionally strong actually. I had it where Roman died and I was legit upset. That final mission was fuelled by an urgency and anger that few games manage to capture. Glad I didn't have Kate die first since I didn't give two shits about her.

I honestly think R* stripped a few heists and several other story missions out of the final game. The ending came on so abruptly, given how long V took to set everything up in the first third of the game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I found the end of GTA4 very emotionally strong actually. I had it where Roman died and I was legit upset. That final mission was fuelled by an urgency and anger that few games manage to capture. Glad I didn't have Kate die first since I didn't give two shits about her.

Aww, man, Roman was brilliant, he reminds me of a mate of mine. Kate died on my first playthrough. She wasn't fleshed out very well, but I could see that she represented a semblance of stability/a normal life to Niko. I felt really bad for him more than anything.

I honestly think R* stripped a few heists and several other story missions out of the final game. The ending came on so abruptly, given how long V took to set everything up in the first third of the game.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. It was all a bit "and now they hate each other". Maybe they ran out of space or time...? I could've done with another 3 or 4 hours of story gameplay to get it to that point.

The fact that you don't make money on half the heists was pretty cheeky too.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. It was all a bit "and now they hate each other". Maybe they ran out of space or time...? I could've done with another 3 or 4 hours of story gameplay to get it to that point.

The fact that you don't make money on half the heists was pretty cheeky too.

It's either that they ran out of time, or they had to move resources to GTA Online.

8bit

Knows the Score
tazos-tazos-de-los-looney-tunes-cuales-te-faltan-4140-MLM4895453777_082013-F.jpg

Hello BritGaf, I'am studying abroad next year in England and I was wondering if you guys could answer some of my question about university there.

I am in my last year of college so I'd be taking third year courses there, My major is Econ and i'd only be there in the fall, so my question is how hard is the final year of school there? and as a foreign exchange student would you guys recommend taking 3 or 4 courses? or do you think the work load would be too much?

Thanks in advance.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Tazos were just pogs for fat kids. Hated it when someone would try to sneak in some tazos into a pog deck or palm them off in a swapsie.

Lirlond

Hello BritGaf, I'am studying abroad next year in England and I was wondering if you guys could answer some of my question about university there.

I am in my last year of college so I'd be taking third year courses there, My major is Econ and i'd only be there in the fall, so my question is how hard is the final year of school there? and as a foreign exchange student would you guys recommend taking 3 or 4 courses? or do you think the work load would be too much?

Thanks in advance.

In the UK your final year is fourth, a designated degree is pretty much worthless here. In third year though the majority of students are only doing the one course, it may be split across modules, but typically it's the one course. Third year is where uni got really difficult in my experience. First and second year were a doddle comparatively.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
In the UK your final year is fourth, a designated degree is pretty much worthless here. In third year though the majority of students are only doing the one course, it may be split across modules, but typically it's the one course. Third year is where uni got really difficult in my experience. First and second year were a doddle comparatively.

Third year was a real grind but I loved it. I was probably the nerdiest girl on the course. "Of course I've done the extra reading! How can ANYONE appreciate Wilde without an appreciation of Pater?" (audible sighs from rest of class)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
8bit that sucks. What a beautiful building.

-

Vashetti / JRPG parsons - 1 and a half hours into FFX so far it's quite sweet and charming. I like this Wakka guy.

lol my mistake in the US, course = modules, in the UK I think course = major. So I meant to say modules instead of course. Also would you say that your autumn term was easier or harder than your spring term?

I asked this of footyGAF, assume most here play games as well considering the site, so what is your top ten games of last gen?

You have a Rick Dagless avatar so I feel compelled to respond:

- Galaxy
- Galaxy 2
- The World Ends With You
- Super Meat Boy
- Spelunky HD
- The Last of Us
- Portal
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Sleepy Dawgz

Thanks in advance.

Since I did the sane degree I'll comment after work if you like!

Vashetti

Banned
I guess?! I'm not a good judge of these things, I don't really have an eye for graphics, just the art style. And my only comment on that is that I think Tidus has good hair.

Oh of course, you've never played the PS2 version so can't fully appreciate the upgrade, plus the whole "wow" factor of playing the game on a portable :(

I asked this of footyGAF, assume most here play games as well considering the site, so what is your top ten games of last gen?

Had to make it eleven, because I'm awkward

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Bastion
Burnout Paradise
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Darksiders
Dead Space
FTL: Faster Than Light
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Street Fighter IV
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Here's my list, I had to split it into three categories to fit all the games:

Console and PC Single-player
  • Dark Souls
  • Mass Effect
  • Journey
  • Catherine
  • Half Life 2
  • The Witcher
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Fallout 3
  • Portal
  • Dragon Age: Origins

Multiplayer
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Borderlands 2
  • Planetside 2
  • Starcraft 2
  • Diablo 3
  • Portal 2
  • Minecraft
  • Mario Kart
  • Rock Band
  • Left 4 Dead

Handheld & Indie Games
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • The World Ends with You
  • Pokemon: Heart Gold
  • Dungeons of Dredmor
  • Plants vs Zombies
  • Machinarium
  • Binding of Isaac
  • Hotline Miami
  • Hotel Dusk
  • FTL

Disclaimer and Discussion

Games I own but have yet to play: The Last of Us, Uncharted Series, MGS4, GTA5, Spelunky, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Red Dead Redemption, Nier, Fez, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Katamari Forever.

For Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2, the only redeeming qualities were the fun I had in multiplayer, otherwise the games were majorly disappointing. Mass Effect blew my mind as a first entry into the series and the subsequent games proceeded to disappoint me, Mass Effect 2 deserves an honorable mention at least. I hated the puzzle gameplay of Catherine but the story made it worth playing as it explored some very interesting adult themes most games are afraid to touch (Atlus rules).

NinjaBoiX

Top 10 last-gen games:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Gears of War
4. Trials Evolution
5. Portal 2
6. Skate 3
7. Pure
8. Geometry Wars 2
9. Dead Space 2
10.Bayonetta

Man, that's really tough. I rewrote it like 5 times. Uncharted 2 kept moving around the list but had to be eschewed in the end, the core mechanics aren't good enough to stand up there with those other games (having said that, RDR is a bit janky, but it offers so much). I could probably still write an entirely different list tomorrow.

Mikeside

Top 10 last-gen games:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Gears of War
4. Trials Evolution
5. Portal 2
6. Skate 3
7. Pure
8. Geometry Wars 2
9. Dead Space 2
10.Bayonetta

Man, that's really tough. I rewrote it like 5 times. Uncharted 2 kept moving around the list but had to be eschewed in the end, the core mechanics aren't good enough to stand up there with those other games (having said that, RDR is a bit janky, but it offers so much). I could probably still write an entirely different list tomorrow.

I keep forgetting how much fun I had with Gears of War because I got so bored of its whole schtick by the time I finished #2.

I also keep forgetting that Dead Space was only last gen. I'd like to knock Red Dead off my list and replace it with Dead Space.

Mikeside

not a single nier mention other than my own OTL

I always wanted to play Nier, but it seemed like a game that would demand more of my time than I really have to dedicate to any single game.

How long would it take for me to complete it the however many times you're supposed to complete it to get the whole story? (bearing in mind that games usually take me a good few hours extra to complete compared to normal people)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Hey, I at least mentioned it in my listed of "Owned by not played". I actually have quite a few heavily praised games in that list that I just haven't gotten around to playing. Some day...

Top 10 last-gen games:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Gears of War
4. Trials Evolution
5. Portal 2
6. Skate 3
7. Pure
8. Geometry Wars 2
9. Dead Space 2
10.Bayonetta

I loved the shit out of Geometry Wars. Playing that game was amazing, it was like asteroids on PCP, a hit of acid visually and a neon rave aurally. The way you could use power-ups and get different enemy types to work against each other (such as using black holes tactically to increase your high score) was extremely creative. Fucking shame Bizarre Creations was shut down, they had a brilliant grasp of SFX and use of arcade visuals (the rockets literally "ripped" through the fabric of space when you shot them), hopefully the people involved moved on to greater things.

The theme tune is godlyk. The one for GW2 is good too.

Mikeside

Hey, I at least mentioned it in my listed of "Owned by not played". I actually have quite a few heavily praised games in that list that I just haven't gotten around to playing. Some day...

I loved the shit out of Geometry Wars. Playing that game was amazing, it was like asteroids on PCP, a hit of acid visually and a neon rave aurally. The way you could use power-ups and get different enemy types to work against each other (such as using black holes tactically to increase your high score) was extremely creative. Fucking shame Bizarre Creations was shut down, they had a brilliant grasp of SFX and use of arcade visuals (the rockets literally "ripped" through the fabric of space when you shot them), hopefully the people involved moved on to greater things.

Geometry Wars 1/2 are still unsurpassed by other twinsticks if you ask me.
As you say, Bizarre just mastered everything about the mechanics of it.

My only complaint is that GW2 never came out on PC - I have the first one on Steam, but I'd kill to get to enjoy all the different modes from the sequel all over again

Reknoc

I always wanted to play Nier, but it seemed like a game that would demand more of my time than I really have to dedicate to any single game.

How long would it take for me to complete it the however many times you're supposed to complete it to get the whole story? (bearing in mind that games usually take me a good few hours extra to complete compared to normal people)

I'm not sure since it's been a while since I completed it and my current play through isn't indicative of a normal play time as I'm OCDing all the side quests and trying to get some misc trophies but I'd say, probably no longer than 10 hours? depending on how many sidequests you get done and you should never really need to grind. Also NG+ isn't the full game but after a certain part, so to get to each ending from their shouldn't take a crazy amount of time.

edit: actually the last ending could be quite time consuming as you have to obtain and max all weapons iirc

edit2: the fact that I actually managed to complete it should show that its not a very long game as I generally never complete anything longer than a typical shooter lol unless its a R* game

Okay I did miss that, now you know what to bump to the front of the queue!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Will do, Reknoc. Also sploatee, quick question, does mrs. sploatee like video games?

My only complaint is that GW2 never came out on PC - I have the first one on Steam, but I'd kill to get to enjoy all the different modes from the sequel all over again
Imagine if they had a multiplayer mode. Well I guess passing the controller is good enough, I just rarely ever get the chance to sit down with people in real life to play games. Need to work on fixing that, local co-op > online IMO, it's just a matter of getting people together which can be a pain.

Reknoc

I gotcha back on Rayman Origins though.

*rayman brofist*

*whichiguesswouldrequirehavingnoarmswhichwouldntbephysicallypossible*

edit: also sploatee; had smite updating before i left for work so assuming my pc or router hasn't blown up i should be ready for smiting during the weekend.

NinjaBoiX

Fucking Bobby Kotick man, killing one of the best British devs ever. I can't think of a single Bizarre game not dripping with polish. Even The Club, a predominantly racing dev tackling a TPS was well coded (no way to turn up the aiming was a crime though, your reticule moved as though through syrup when ADS).

And ditto on the amazing mechanics in Geo Wars. My personal favourite was probably the black hole thing like JB said. Feeding it just enough to have a decent pull, but not so much that it pops was a delicate balance. When you heard that beep beep warning that it was going to go, aww shit!

Or the gates that acted like a little bomb when you passed through them but also as a floating surface to bounce shots off. Or that thrill of waiting until the very last second to fire off a screen clearing smart bomb. Genius game, still play it.

Fuck you Pacifism.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
*rayman brofist*

*whichiguesswouldrequirehavingnoarmswhichwouldntbephysicallypossible*

edit: also sploatee; had smite updating before i left for work so assuming my pc or router hasn't blown up i should be ready for smiting during the weekend.

Bon! The two Rayman reboot games are so so underappreciated. I know critics love them, but they should be as known as the Mario games. So much care went into them.

I will look out for ye! It'll be me and a friend from work. We go smiting. :)

---

NON GAME STUFF

SO I HAD TO BOLLOCK ONE OF MY JUNIORS TODAY FOR DELIVERING BAD WORK WHICH MEANS 2 HOURS OF MY TIME WHICH IS ABOUT £1000 AND THEN ANOTHER DOESN'T FINISH IN TIME WHICH MEANS I HAVE TO PICK UP THE SLACK WHICH MEANS THE CURRY I WAS GOING FOR NEEDS TO BE CANCELLED WHICH MEANS I'M GONNA BE WORKING TILL LATE LATE LATE GRRRRR

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Started hanging out with this Israeli lass, she's pretty cool

Tash has joined Fakegaf where the kids hang out
I'm a drifter, a lone-wolf, a mere shadow of my former self. You don't want me here
I'd never return
what even is fakegaf
Nothing, you'd hate it, it's rubbish

the clique ruined this thread.
I think you'll find that I ruined the thread single handedly
I got kind of a rearguard action here, as in - what the fuck is whatsapp?
Fave post in this OT so far
I think this page is proof that the supporting cast cannot carry the show without the series regulars. If you want the thread to be better, post something interesting you boring fucks. .
Indeed, it's like being polite and courteous to a girl and expecting them to jump in bed with you
...and Tash's balls, of course.
I've got a sequel to that coming very soon

So having said all that, how is everyone?
I'm excellent, although I have work in an hour and a bit, it's going to be fucking buuuusy
Pls respond
1.Bioshock Infinite
2.The Last of Us
3.Uncharted 2
4.L4D2
5.Skyrim
6.Fallout:3/NV
7.Borderlands 2
8.GTA V
9.Metro Last Light <-Fucking loved this game
10.Battlefield 3
SO I HAD TO BOLLOCK ONE OF MY JUNIORS TODAY FOR DELIVERING BAD WORK WHICH MEANS 2 HOURS OF MY TIME WHICH IS ABOUT £1000 AND THEN ANOTHER DOESN'T FINISH IN TIME WHICH MEANS I HAVE TO PICK UP THE SLACK WHICH MEANS THE CURRY I WAS GOING FOR NEEDS TO BE CANCELLED WHICH MEANS I'M GONNA BE WORKING TILL LATE LATE LATE GRRRRR
Invoice them for £2000

AcridMeat

Banned
Transistor is pretty good. :D Happy to finally have it and play it. Can't wait for Galak-Z later this year too.

Friend visited for a few days, was pretty darn great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom