• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone here excited for Watch Dogs? And if so how / why?

Got a text an hour ago that my pre-order will be ready on Tuesday. I must've done that a year ago at least and I have no idea why. It's going to be a boring game with a mildly interesting premise, so just like Assassin's Creed. I'm going to cancel and get a Steam voucher instead.

Mr. Sam

That the Watch_Dogs trailer is entirely CG - and that videogame trailers can be entirely CG - never fails to confound me. You're deliberately obscuring the product. Why?

SO I HAD TO BOLLOCK ONE OF MY JUNIORS TODAY FOR DELIVERING BAD WORK WHICH MEANS 2 HOURS OF MY TIME WHICH IS ABOUT £1000 AND THEN ANOTHER DOESN'T FINISH IN TIME WHICH MEANS I HAVE TO PICK UP THE SLACK WHICH MEANS THE CURRY I WAS GOING FOR NEEDS TO BE CANCELLED WHICH MEANS I'M GONNA BE WORKING TILL LATE LATE LATE GRRRRR

hold up (and forgive the question if it's a bit too personal) but you make £500 an hour? :0

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That the Watch_Dogs trailer is entirely CG - and that videogame trailers can be entirely CG - never fails to confound me. You're deliberately obscuring the product. Why?

See this is an example of why Watch Dogs is winding me up.

Fake reveal
Unrealistic launch date and delay
Far too many 'special edition's
General air of desperation (with the Division delayed we need this for our FY14 results guys!)
'edgy' premise
same old same old open world design

I will eat crow if I am wrong, but it smells really stinky to me. And I'm on a mission to singlehandedly ensure that Ubi stop with this AAA piffle and make more Rayman and Child of Light.

hold up (and forgive the question if it's a bit too personal) but you make £500 an hour? :0

It's all a bit commercially sensitive. PM me if you want a discussion on the gearing of professional services firms. I don't make that much.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

monopoly-man-costume-mid-cane-money-bag.jpg

Son Of D

Top 10 games of previous gen:

1. Mario Galaxy 2
2. Bayonetta
3. Deus Ex Human Revolution
4. Uncharted 2
5. Rayman Origins
6. Bioshock
7. Devil May Cry 4
8. Portal 2
9. Vanquish
10. Dead Space

I still haven't played Last of Us. Might just wait until I get a PS4 and buy it there. As for GTAV, waiting patiently for the PC version.

I was looking forward to it last year but lost interest around October last year. I'll probably just get it when it's incredibly cheap just to see what it's like.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Get him one of those out of date ones from the back with the battered box, "oops!" sticker and gross condensation/cheese sweat on the plastic window.

Love that sticker!

And not even home from work yet. No curry tonight. Didn't cancel the booking, hope I don't get banned

Thanks, appreciate it.

Hello BritGaf, I'am studying abroad next year in England and I was wondering if you guys could answer some of my question about university there.

I am in my last year of college so I'd be taking third year courses there, My major is Econ and i'd only be there in the fall, so my question is how hard is the final year of school there? and as a foreign exchange student would you guys recommend taking 3 or 4 courses? or do you think the work load would be too much?

Thanks in advance.

Well outside of perhaps Oxbridge, or a few other quirky institutions there's generally a lot less variation over here in how your course is put together, certainly for economics, than other systems like the US.

Most courses for Economics are three years, with four year courses involving a one year work placement (usually paid), between your second and third years of studying, aka sandwich courses.

For my course, the module system was changed after my second year, apparently to be more in line with other universities. Essentially, you have two semesters, one from Sep- Feb, the other Feb- June. Four modules per semester, each worth 15 credits, totalling 120 credits for the year (all of which must be gained to progress through to the next year/graduate). Prior to this, different modules had different credit weightings on your year average. Most modules marks are a 70/30 split between a final exam, and in class tests/coursework respectively.

Each semester, we had one fixed module (Micro in Semester 1, Macro Semester 2), and the other three we had to pick from a fixed list of optional modules. Now I gather in some countries you can do all sorts of hippy dippy shit, but here the modules were all run by the Economics department, and so were properly related to the degree. E.g. Time Series Econometrics, International Trade, International Finance, Energy Economics, and so on.

My course differed in that the final year dissertation was optional (most are compulsory). Not only that, but it was only worth 15 credits, so in semester 2 you had three modules, plus a dissertation to complete (most degrees have less modules in this semester to allow you to work on it, i.e. it is worth say 30 or 45 credits).

Regarding what you asked, I don't know of any degree in which you could decide on how many modules you took, that was always fixed here, you just got to pick the specific content in second and third year.

In terms of failing, the pass mark is 40% for each module which had to be met. If you failed to make the grade, exam resits allowed you a second chance, but were pegged at 40%, no matter how well you performed in it (aka fucking up your average mark for the year). Also no bell curve gradings or any shenanigans over here either.

Hope that helps!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Musha banned?

Bloody hell. One of the nicest people from GAF that I have ever met. Well, one of the people from GAF that I have ever met. Well, the person from GAF that I have met, ever. And nice too.

I guess it was that tight skirts thread wot did it.

Anyhow, Thread Momma is away for now. So you have wicked uncle instead. So what the fuck has been going on, eh? Well, except for Chinner bleating of course, I caught that one (Clique, Clique, Whatsapp, Whatsapp, blah, blah). But on the other hand zomg is keeping the Tories entertained in the PoliGaf thread.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So at work tonight there was a fucking ten man brawl and one bouncer took on the entire fucking bunch, it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen

One day you'll just post a pic of your entire junk and I'll laugh so hard my spleen will fall out. It will be glorious.
I've got one prepped

it's just waiting for the right time to post it
Mildly interested but will wait for some reviews to appear before jumping in.

Pfunk? Is that some amalgam of Parliament & Funkadelic?
It's PEEE FUUUUNK muthafucka'

me, because it looks fucking awesome

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You have a cool website Jonathan. And I like all your mini projects, they are well funny.

I like the BBC3 programme generator!

Musha banned?

Bloody hell. One of the nicest people from GAF that I have ever met. Well, one of the people from GAF that I have ever met. Well, the person from GAF that I have met, ever. And nice too.

I guess it was that tight skirts thread wot did it.

Anyhow, Thread Momma is away for now. So you have wicked uncle instead. So what the fuck has been going on, eh? Well, except for Chinner bleating of course, I caught that one (Clique, Clique, Whatsapp, Whatsapp, blah, blah). But on the other hand zomg is keeping the Tories entertained in the PoliGaf thread.

All is as it always is around here Mr Sheep. E struggling with constant pain and inability to move, me working all hours because you can never have enough material goods or financial security (or any financial security, bloody law school debts), playing far too many video games instead of going out in the world and doing things and reading and 'being creative' whenever I can stop wasting my life making artificial progress in a computer program. Oh, and since I got home late, I've decided to stay up all night because we're not going anywhere tomorrow (that sounds bleak, but I actually quite like the 'quiet hours' ,it's a nice time to sit and listen to records and knit) What's new with you?

So at work tonight there was a fucking ten man brawl and one bouncer took on the entire fucking bunch, it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen

me, because it looks fucking awesome

Blimey.

And no, I do not agree with this. Change your tastes please.

Lirlond

Yo 8bit I work right next to the School of Art and yeah, it's totally fucked. Burning for a good 6/7 hours, firefighters stationed all night. We'll be lucky if it doesn't collapse. Big blow for the city of architecture, seeing that ancient building across the road from the super modern new union was amazing.

Danj

So what's everyone doing this Bank Holiday weekend? The only thing I've got on my calendar is a board games meet on Sunday. Also I'm skint until Wednesday because that's when I get paid.

So what's everyone doing this Bank Holiday weekend? The only thing I've got on my calendar is a board games meet on Sunday. Also I'm skint until Wednesday because that's when I get paid.

What board games are you going to be playing?

I'm working this Sat/Sun but I'm planning to go see the new X-Men film on Monday. Might have a BBQ too if the weather isn't shite.

8bit

Knows the Score

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Mornin'

You just don't fuck with bouncers.

We've got one from around my way who goes by the name of Kato. He looks like a little Japanese Penfold (from Danger Mouse). He can't be much over 5 foot tall. He's articulate, cultured, genteel, a very calming demeanour... and possibly the hardest bastard I've ever met. I've seen seen him "deal" with 5 guys (oo er), all of whom were a good deal taller and broader than him, without breaking a sweat. Other bouncers are scared of him because when he kicks off (and it takes a lot), he really kicks off and the others have a hard time reeling him back in. It's like watching Mr Myagi take on the Cobra Kai. If he's on the job and you see him take off his little glasses (and he's not looking in your direction), you're in for a master class in crowd control.

playing far too many video games instead of going out in the world and doing things and reading and 'being creative' whenever I can stop wasting my life making artificial progress in a computer program.

This is getting ridiculous.

Dear Sploatee

Please stop stealing my thoughts and insecurities. They are all I have left.

Yours

Meat

PS sorry to hear E isn't feeling great :(

NinjaBoiX

Today is a BBQ at my mates then his stag do tonight, tomorrow is seeing the old's and probably doing some shopping and shit, then Monday I'm helping my mate wire out his loft.

Also, the joyous housemate meeting is required at some point this weekend. I'm off down Manchester next month and Lee is moving in with his missus, so that just leaves Pats and Glen holding up the fort unless they find someone else. I hope they decide to move out, purely so we can split the pot of money four equal ways rather than fucking about. I wouldn't care, but after what's left in the account, the deposit to be returned and a rebate from the energy company we're due about £300 each.

Mikeside

I'm taking the other half to my nan's where half the Welsh family are visiting so she can meet them, then we're going to Jedeye's BBQ.

Might be taking my cousins swimming tomorrow, but we might do cinema or something instead.

Monday I'm starting some private work that could rake me in a fair bit of cash over the next couple of weeks. Exciting!

Wish I could get more private work.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I'm hanging out with mike, tash and jimbor attempting to cook food between raindrops. Fun!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Mostly looking after Emma and playing games. Cinema maybe? No ideas. I think it's gonna be a hermit and recharge.

You have a cool website Jonathan. And I like all your mini projects, they are well funny.

I like the BBC3 programme generator!

Ta! My next thing I want to do is a 'Break Your Own News' thing. You upload a pic, write a line of text and it spits it out looking like Sky News. Mainly as I did this manually in the office when someone finally got round to doing the tea round an hour late and it seems like an amazing idea. Just need to think it through how it will say, not save anything to my server and not be a security risk. Etc.

Been a bit crappy so not much. WiiU, being sad and watching election night results... there's a food fest on in Sheff but it's all wet so that's much less fun.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm at home with the two children while Mrs. 8bit is in Glasgow buying cheap clothes for the children to take on holiday. It's raining and we're not going to get very far, so it's a weekend of Disney, Nintendo, Apple & Lego. Dunno what the children are going to do.

It's a working day here on Monday and as most of my customers are in the UK I'm not likely to be very busy but I've got an exam scheduled for Monday that I've done almost no revision on, then Wednesday through to Friday are holidays here.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
8bit, ages and ages and ages ago you asked me to recommend a good Zero Punctuation - his SimCity review is hilarious. I absolutely love Yahtzee and would marry him.

Mr. Sam

Don't tell anyone, it would ruin me, but I find Yahtzee's reviews to often be very insightful. He gets ghettoised because he's 'just trying to be funny' but I find that humour and insight are normally anything but mutually exclusive - hence why I'm neither funny nor insightful.

1. Mario Galaxy 2
2. Bayonetta
3. Deus Ex Human Revolution
4. Uncharted 2
5. Rayman Origins
6. Bioshock
7. Devil May Cry 4
8. Portal 2
9. Vanquish
10. Dead Space

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Super Mario Galaxy
  3. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
  4. Halo 3
  5. Rayman Legends
  6. Portal 2
  7. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  8. Bioshock
  9. Pokemon Black 2
  10. Binary Domain

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That happened to me more often on busses. And I guess Red Dead Redemption was pretty good? It has been on most of the lists. I should play it and Nier after I beat Dark Souls 2.

AcridMeat

Banned
Don't tell anyone, it would ruin me, but I find Yahtzee's reviews to often be very insightful. He gets ghettoised because he's 'just trying to be funny' but I find that humour and insight are normally anything but mutually exclusive - hence why I'm neither funny nor insightful.

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Super Mario Galaxy
  3. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
  4. Halo 3
  5. Rayman Legends
  6. Portal 2
  7. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  8. Bioshock
  9. Pokemon Black 2
  10. Binary Domain
My fucking dude right here!

Here's what I cut from the big list I had.

Fallout: New Vegas
Borderlands 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Saints Row The Third
The Walking Dead Season 1
The Stanley Parable
Brothers A Tale of Two Sons
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Here's my list I made in about 10 minutes. Sleeping Dogs and Halo 3 are super fucking close to being my favorite. My number 1 doesn't count because it's addiction.

10. Binary Domain
9. Portal 2
8. Journey
7. Team Fortress 2
6. Left 4 Dead 1
5. Battlefield Bad Company 2
4. Dark Souls
3. Sleeping Dogs
2. Halo 3
League of Legends :(

had work today, which was rubbish because work is rubbish. the next three days are all mine though which is fantastic. getting a chinese as a late-birthday present and currently trying to finish my entry for this month's gafwriting challenge. any other brit-ers entering?

Marc

Thanks for all the game responses guys, good read! Most of you are correct as you put RDR. But the lack of Dragons Dogma (apart from JackBen who missed out on RDR!!!) means I can never buy you cars if I won the lottery. Soz.

I had to goto the third page to find this thread, da fuck guys.

You have a Rick Dagless avatar so I feel compelled to respond:

It's Dr. Sanchez you Lady Gaga thong! :p

So NIN was awesome, but the crowd in my area were erm... a bit shit. There were like 3 guys standing, some people complained about them standing. I stood up for most of it to have fun but felt a bit awkward about it, had to ask the people behind if it was alright and stood on the stairs when I could. Why would you go to a NIN concert, get tickets close to the action and then sit? Some weren't even like head nodding. Would have gone to the standing section but my wife is small and don't want to lose her or get her hurt. Plus its nice to sit for the slow songs at least. It kicked off near the end which was good at least.

Picture:

I have been sick lately so woke up with little sleep on Saturday feeling like shit and deaf in one ear. Apparently loud music and infections don't get on. My throat was on fire and could barely talk either. Heading to comic con with a mask I couldn't see out of. So was blind, deaf and mute...

Anyway, pic of me and my daughter looking embarrassed.

Had a CEX picture as well:

https://www.facebook.com/CeX/photos...68287223/10152632539757224/?type=3&permPage=1

Was with my mrs, a friend and their daughter as well and they all got tired pretty quickly after the general admission (the crowd was massive this year, way more than before I am sure) tidal wave. So ended up leaving early which is a shame, would rethink wearing a costume with a mask as I barely saw anything. :( Still, my daughter absolutely loved seeing all her favourite characters (Frozen, Tinkerbell, Belle, Spider-Man, Superman, Wolverine, Batman etc.) which was the main reason for going anyway. Had a laugh at least, got some nice comments on my costume too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Always had a niggling thought to try out cosplay and attend a con but then a remember all the horror stories and terrible images I've seen and repress those thoughts.

Always had a niggling thought to try out cosplay and attend a con but then a remember all the horror stories and terrible images I've seen and repress those thoughts.

I've never had any of those horror stories, but then I'm not a child, going to the weird hotel parties or around creepy people so am less likely to experience them I guess.

I did MCM a few of times and it was fun, but not hugely driven to go back. Went with a large group of friends which was good as you could split up and go in different groups, switch throughout the day a bit - but in terms of stuff to do it's mostly the same expensive stools and if you're not buying stuff due to brokeness well not much fun there. The costumes are cool, good to chat but it's too big to really settle down and enjoy it.

Done cosplay twice for expo, once as Ramona Flowers and another as the Eleventh Doctor, in a time I got slightly mobbed for photos and was a bit overwhelming at times, couldn't really walk round for a bit. But fun. But mental.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
On the train home after a nice bbq with gafbros

Aldershot is proof that the further north you go, the shitter it gets, Jedeyes pad excluded ofc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom