• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
For loveable taxi drivers you need to try Dublin. Charm personified, but no sense of direction unfortunately. One I had kindly turned off the meter while we searched for a police station to ask directions from (satnav hadn't been invented then either).

I love that! I always tip taxi drivers and I swear it's helped me build up my taxi karma. I left my phone in a taxi once (I was stressed and panicking as usual) and the driver actually drove back to give it to me a few hours later and refused my 'thanks!' payment. What a nice person.

I love phi's tales of yore, they really put things in perspective. It was a simpler time.

sploatee, I'll come round for a cuppa at the end of the month when I move down. I feel like you need a hug brah, let's have a slice of cake and a nice natter.

Fab-O. Hopefully I won't have used up all of the good tea. I'll try and save some!

Reknoc

Hey, just trying to prevent fellow gaffers being spoiled.

Oddly enough, it made up nearly nothing of the conference.

yea, sorry. that post was more aggressive than it needed to be, was supposed to be about GAFs ridiculous spoiler culture but i guess i was too hot and bothered from work and it seeped in :(((

but its cool, i watched a kirby trailer now so i'm chill

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Nintendo keep announcing interesting things, don't they?

I might end up getting a wii u at some point. Remote play is very nice to have.

Now I've slept and caught up a bit there are quite a few games which I'm looking forward to. None of which are coming out this year. Bugger! Tried to be positive!

NinjaBoiX

Bayonetta 1 bundled with 2, Splatoon, that Zelda trailer, Mario Level Maker then the games I haven't played like Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart 7, I'd love a Wii U.

I'll wait until the next proper Mario comes out, the library isn't going anywhere.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I know! It's all happening, isn't it? I quite fancy Wonderful 101 too. They're just that bit too dear at the moment.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Bayonetta 1 bundled with 2, Splatoon, that Zelda trailer, Mario Level Maker then the games I haven't played like Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart 7, I'd love a Wii U.

I'll wait until the next proper Mario comes out, the library isn't going anywhere.

I told you all. The Wii U is the place to be ;)

NinjaBoiX

Also:

Cuphead

...looks crazy, and...

Inside

...looks morbidly beautiful (loved Limbo), but...

No Man's Sky

...looks amazeballs. So ambitious, so unique, so pretty, probably one of the games I'm most excited for.

There was loads of stuff that looked cool, the new Rainbow 6, Evolve, Far Cry 4, Batman Arkham Knight, Mirror's Edge 2, The Witcher 3, and holy shit, did you see Criterion's new game? Super early footage and there was very little of it but man, it looked sweet! They have some great ideas going on by the sounds of it.

Then TLoU and GTA5 HD, a nice little sprinkling of primo ports on top. Noice.

Good E3 I thought, medium to high levels of excite.

8bit

Knows the Score
sploatee! I think you might like pixeljunk shooter or whatever the freebie PS4 game is this week, it's kind of reminiscent of Thrust by Firebird on the C64 but a bit modern. Neat anyway.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Also:

Cuphead

...looks crazy, and...

Inside

...looks morbidly beautiful (loved Limbo), but...

No Man's Sky

...looks amazeballs. So ambitious, so unique, so pretty, probably one of the games I'm most excited for.

There was loads of stuff that looked cool, the new Rainbow 6, Evolve, Far Cry 4, Batman Arkham Knight, Mirror's Edge 2, The Witcher 3, and holy shit, did you see Criterion's new game? Super early footage and there was very little of it but man, it looked sweet! They have some great ideas going on by the sounds of it.

Then TLoU and GTA5 HD, a nice little sprinkling of primo ports on top. Noice.

Good E3 I thought, medium to high levels of excite.

file.php

...or indeed this post.

NinjaBoiX

In case anyone missed it:

Criterion's New IP

Really early stages and the video has next to no actual game footage but this was one of the most exciting announcements of the show for my money. Criterion going completely off script and making a game that basically sounds like the inside of an 8 year old boy's head, I have every faith that it'll be balls to the wall fun.
...or indeed this post.
Yeah, I remember you waxing lyrical about No Man's Sky too. The idea that everyone has their own home planet, and you can just hop in your ship and pop from planet to planet, and the rest of the world is procedurally generated and basically infinite...

UmpOi.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I remember you waxing lyrical about No Man's Sky too. The idea that everyone has their own home planet, and you can just hop in your ship and pop from planet to planet, and the rest of the world is procedurally generated and basically infinite...

UmpOi.gif

Absolutely. All that and they've managed to wrap such a fresh art/music direction to it. It feels like old-school optimistic Sci-Fi. I hope it plays like they say it does.

8bit

Knows the Score

Also, sounds like you can influence(raid?) parallel universes. Boom.

NinjaBoiX

The dude was nearly crying on stage presenting it, he was visibly bursting with pride. Hello Games man, remember that cutesy little Trials clone Joe Danger? It was pretty good and solid as a rock, really well coded.

But that to this in one bound, fuck...

I really hope it's amazing.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
We are so easily entertained that even when EA basically had a whole conference with nothing to show, we still eat it up like good little consumer piggies at a trough.

sploatee! I think you might like pixeljunk shooter or whatever the freebie PS4 game is this week, it's kind of reminiscent of Thrust by Firebird on the C64 but a bit modern. Neat anyway.

I like the water / magma physics. The Vita version is a bit....janky though? Feels like it has kind of a low frame rate after the silky smooth PS4 version.

We are so easily entertained that even when EA basically had a whole conference with nothing to show, we still eat it up like good little consumer piggies at a trough.

I watched EA after it was shown live in about 20 minutes. A grim conference to say the least, the highest point was right at the start,

8bit

Knows the Score
I like the water / magma physics. The Vita version is a bit....janky though? Feels like it has kind of a low frame rate after the silky smooth PS4 version.

Haven't tried the Vita version yet, although I suppose it could work as Remote Playable if it's a bit wonky.

Mikeside

So the summer meetup is looking like it'll be gorgeous weather

Has anyone not signed attendance yet? Looks like we might only have about 12 of us there!

Get your arses to the thread.

I'm disappointed that I've not heard from:
8bit
No Angel (where IS that guy, anyway? surely babies can't be all THAT time-demanding)
Little Old Man
Tashbrooke
QuicheFontaine
Hyst
Reknoc

and where's the false promise from Steve that he'll finally make this one?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The dude was nearly crying on stage presenting it, he was visibly bursting with pride. Hello Games man, remember that cutesy little Trials clone Joe Danger? It was pretty good and solid as a rock, really well coded.

But that to this in one bound, fuck...

I really hope it's amazing.

Saw that last night, I almost cried for him! He was properly choking up, wasn't he? I loved the music in the trailer. I hope it all works, it looks too good to be true at the moment. 2015 ahoy! Maybe even 2016?

After watching the first hour and then getting bored during Far Cry and falling asleep, i like the look of all the arty games that nobody is talking about - I might try Entwined and Abzu looked beautiful. Bro force looks fun too. LBP3 looks a bit too familiar though although Toggle is very, very cute. I'm getting more and more excited about Destiny too - +teamwork -aggro = happy. I've put my name in for the Alpha ...

Saw the cod trailer (well one minute of it). Looks poopy. The order looks great (2015!). So does beast souls (I'm not calling it Bloodborne because that's a rubbish name) (2015!). Not sure about the Suda game, but will wait and see. He's a bit too dribbly I AM XTREME for me. Gonna try and watch a bit more while doing jobs around the flat and running errands.

Haven't tried the Vita version yet, although I suppose it could work as Remote Playable if it's a bit wonky.

Hallo! Yes I tried it on PS4 and liked it! And then promptly downloaded it for Vita and was really disappointed. It's very very bad compared to the ps4 version. Vita can't catch a break at the moment. Looking forward to playing it more and I think the RP will prob work better than the port, which is a bit backwards.

Mikeside

Saw that last night, I almost cried for him! He was properly choking up, wasn't he? I loved the music in the trailer. I hope it all works, it looks too good to be true at the moment. 2015 ahoy! Maybe even 2016?

After watching the first hour and then getting bored during Far Cry and falling asleep, i like the look of all the arty games that nobody is talking about - I might try Entwined and Abzu looked beautiful. Bro force looks fun too. LBP3 looks a bit too familiar though although Toggle is very, very cute. I'm getting more and more excited about Destiny too - +teamwork -aggro = happy. I've put my name in for the Alpha ...

Saw the cod trailer (well one minute of it). Looks poopy. The order looks great (2015!). So does beast souls (I'm not calling it Bloodborne because that's a rubbish name) (2015!). Not sure about the Suda game, but will wait and see. He's a bit too dribbly I AM XTREME for me. Gonna try and watch a bit more while doing jobs around the flat and running errands.

Hallo! Yes I tried it on PS4 and liked it! And then promptly downloaded it for Vita and was really disappointed. It's very very bad compared to the ps4 version. Vita can't catch a break at the moment. Looking forward to playing it more and I think the RP will prob work better than the port, which is a bit backwards.

a hundred times this

Inside
Valiant Hearts
Below
ABZU
Cuphead
No Man's Sky
Ori and the Blind Forest
Magicka 2

this really is the E3 of smaller budget games.

Of course I'm also at fever pitch for Witcher 3, MGS V, The Division, Destiny and Rise of the Tomb Raider so I guess I'm not one of those floaty indie-only fart sniffers, but still.

SteveWD40

Most exiting E3 announcment: MH iOS out in the west soon.

Yep, I am officially no longer a core gamer, I live on the fringe playing on my iPad like someone's gran (except I play good shit like Hearthstone, Wayward and Warhammer Quest, not TAPLOLCANDYWARZ).

8bit

Knows the Score

Entwined is simplistic and shallow, but very pretty. I didn't think it was worth the 5 quid or whatever it cost as the gameplay didn't seem to change much when starting the second level and it was beginning to hurt my thumbs.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So the summer meetup is looking like it'll be gorgeous weather

Has anyone not signed attendance yet? Looks like we might only have about 12 of us there!

Get your arses to the thread.

I'm disappointed that I've not heard from:
8bit
No Angel (where IS that guy, anyway? surely babies can't be all THAT time-demanding)
Little Old Man
Tashbrooke
QuicheFontaine
Hyst
Reknoc

and where's the false promise from Steve that he'll finally make this one?

There is no way that we have a forecast for the end of the month already, is there??

I shall be there rain or shine. Party tiiiiiime!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Most exiting E3 announcment: MH iOS out in the west soon.

Yep, I am officially no longer a core gamer, I live on the fringe playing on my iPad like someone's gran (except I play good shit like Hearthstone, Wayward and Warhammer Quest, not TAPLOLCANDYWARZ).

You and me both brah :)

BGAF has been an alienating place this week. I have written and deleted several snarky posts in the past few days. See, I think about my community.

SmokyDave

I bought Watch_Dogs about a fortnight ago. I've played about twenty minutes of it. Babies eat up a crazy amount of time.

Mine has learnt to raise her head and chest up now. She likes to show me her new trick when I'm trying to put her to sleep. Debating strapping weights to her head.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Entwined is simplistic and shallow, but very pretty. I didn't think it was worth the 5 quid or whatever it cost as the gameplay didn't seem to change much when starting the second level and it was beginning to hurt my thumbs.

I've just played it for a while (and streamed it to one kind viewer, I am 2014), I like the concept and the symbolism, but the main story mode seems a bit superfluous, like its a concept looking for a game. Have you tried the challenge mode? Based on my extensive play through I think i prefer the score chasing part, surprisingly. I was hoping the music would be a bit less ambient too. I guess I just want Rez.

Ps pixeljunk is good - played a bit more and I like it. I wish the vita version was better, it'd be perfect at lunchtime.

You and me both brah :)

BGAF has been an alienating place this week. I have written and deleted several snarky posts in the past few days. See, I think about my community.

Why?!? Your snark is one of this thread's best bits!

Mikeside

I bought Watch_Dogs about a fortnight ago. I've played about twenty minutes of it. Babies eat up a crazy amount of time.

Mine has learnt to raise her head and chest up now. She likes to show me her new trick when I'm trying to put her to sleep. Debating strapping weights to her head.

I played a little of this game at a friend's house last week.
I'm utterly disappointed. Jedeye has ruined non-Rockstar open world games for me. It's just so lifeless.

NinjaBoiX

Literally everyone I know playing Watch Dogs says it's a blast. Sure it might not have "lived in tarmac" or whatever but that's R*'s thing. The incredible can coexist with the merely excellent you know.

How dull would life be if Josh Davis was the only DJ working because all the rest aren't as good? Variety is the spice of life yo.

Mikeside

Literally everyone I know playing Watch Dogs says it's a blast. Sure it might not have "lived in tarmac" or whatever but that's R*'s thing. The incredible can coexist with the merely excellent you know.

How dull would life be if Josh Davis was the only DJ working because all the rest aren't as good? Variety is the spice of life yo.

The problem for me is that it seems to be a game that would be really fun in a more dynamic world with more interesting things to do with hacking OR be a more concise game that isn't in an open world at all.

As it stands, I think the gunplay is half-baked, the driving physics are horrible (not that GTA IV wasn't bad) and the hacking stuff seems fairly shallow and gimmicky.

Variety is the spice of life, but this seems like a game that would have benefitted from being a more scripted experience.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've just played it for a while (and streamed it to one kind viewer, I am 2014), I like the concept and the symbolism, but the main story mode seems a bit superfluous, like its a concept looking for a game. Have you tried the challenge mode? Based on my extensive play through I think i prefer the score chasing part, surprisingly. I was hoping the music would be a bit less ambient too. I guess I just want Rez.

Ps pixeljunk is good - played a bit more and I like it. I wish the vita version was better, it'd be perfect at lunchtime.

Why?!? Your snark is one of this thread's best bits!

Nah, I think it was coming off as sulky pouty and that ain't fun.

I still like/love gaming but the whole press conference/E3/armchair Pachter stuff leaves me cold at best and outright annoys the shit out of me at worst. I will condense my thoughts into a single post aimed at everyone/no-one:

You do not work at Sony/MS/Nintendo. Your thoughts on their business strategies, the quality of their announced games (that you know next to nothing about) or whatever corporate monolith 'won' are meaningless cheerleading for big business. Get hype about the Tesco quarterly earnings report, it's at about the same level of meaning.

And more besides, our little corner of the internet is aging. We (with exceptions) aren't that young any more. These games and shows are not really for us. They're for easily impressed 18 year olds. That hollow feeling, it's not that it was a bad E3 necessarily, it's more that this isn't for you any more. if you're nearer 30 than 20 and still care about Call of Duty or Smash Bros, chances are you were dropped on your head as a child.

Ahhh, that feels way better. I will try not to throw any more SHADE at you gamer folks, I look forward to next week when we can go back to talking about the weather, paedophiles and how misogynistic Musha is again.

I played a little of this game at a friend's house last week.
I'm utterly disappointed. Jedeye has ruined non-Rockstar open world games for me. It's just so lifeless.

yissssssss! It's so true. It's all about the attention to detail in the road surfacing for me. If that's good, everything else will follow.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It really doesn't appeal to me for three reasons -

1 I don't want to play as a 'wronged white male vigilante' - yawn
2 it's gonna be a ubisoft open world
3 it looks far too EDGY - same thing that put me off infamous. It's like. 90s rebellion. Like that film with Robert Redford where they hack the Net.
Oh and the polygon review where they talked about its depiction of minorities kind of put me off too.

Just not my thing, I guess. I'll stick with BJ Blasckownicz, who I have a sort of crush on.

Oh and Sign o the times by Prince is like the best R and B album. It's as good as all of those 70s Stevie Wonder albums. Hope I can find a vinyl of it when I nip out later, the Cd sounds awful.

NinjaBoiX

Fair enough Mike.

I personally can't wait to play Watch Dogs and GTA5. I'd imagine GTA5 will prove to have longer legs and be the better game, but I'll still have fun with Watch_Dogs. They're different enough to both be relevant.

Not like those weirdos that play both FIFA and Pro Evo. Those people are nihilists.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You do not work at Sony/MS/Nintendo. Your thoughts on their business strategies, the quality of their announced games (that you know next to nothing about) or whatever corporate monolith 'won' are meaningless cheerleading for big business. Get hype about the Tesco quarterly earnings report, it's at about the same level of meaning.

And more besides, our little corner of the internet is aging. We (with exceptions) aren't that young any more. These games and shows are not really for us. They're for easily impressed 18 year olds. That hollow feeling, it's not that it was a bad E3 necessarily, it's more that this isn't for you any more. if you're nearer 30 than 20 and still care about Call of Duty or Smash Bros, chances are you were dropped on your head as a child.

Grumpy Jed is best Jed.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It really doesn't appeal to me for three reasons -

1 I don't want to play as a 'wronged white male vigilante' - yawn
2 it's gonna be a ubisoft open world
3 it looks far too EDGY - same thing that put me off infamous. It's like. 90s rebellion. Like that film with Robert Redford where they hack the Net.
Oh and the polygon review where they talked about its depiction of minorities kind of put me off too.

Just not my thing, I guess. I'll stick with BJ Blasckownicz, who I have a sort of crush on.

Oh and Sign o the times by Prince is like the best R and B album. It's as good as all of those 70s Stevie Wonder albums. Hope I can find a vinyl of it when I nip out later, the Cd sounds awful.

Yeah I feel similarly after watching some vids and hearing some podcasts about it. The dude seems super generic and scratchy voiced, the whole aesthetic seems bland and it doesn't seem to have any of the lightness of touch of a GTA. Got some neat ideas in there, but it seems cynical and artless.

I'm really tempted by Wolfenstein - has anyone seen the PS3 version running?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Grumpy Jed is best Jed.

Innit! I actually lolled at this

"If you're nearer 30 than 20 and still care about Call of Duty or Smash Bros, chances are you were dropped on your head as a child." I'll be sure to tell that to everyone I know who likes those two games :D

Reminds me of E's opinions on most films I get her to watch (e.g. the Tarkovsky Solaris, anything by Terrence Malick, Un Chien Andalou (although she did like the Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and the Three Colours films). You either get a "big pile of wank" or a "small pile of wank" depending on how much she liked it :D

I've got to say that reading the responses to some of the announcements over on gaming side makes me feel like I'm 80, not 30 odd.

"OH MY GOD YES"
"I AM SHAKING"
"YES YES YES YES"
"I ACTUALLY CRIED"
"YESYEYESYEYSYSYESYESYE`Y28E9HP13URN"

Etc etc etc. It's a corporate announcement!?!?!?! With a CG trailer!?!?

I like the fact Andrew House is named after a thing though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Anyway, on topic - back into the boredom zone at work today. After cracking the whip like a loon for the past month the whitewater of freakouts and panic has slowed to a trickle and is now a rapidly evapourating puddle of nothin' doin'. And to add to my woes I've got to be here till 6 so I can wait for a 3hr45 physics exam to finish up.

Considering busting out the iPad to have a read, I think I've consumed at least two thirds of GAF today.

Entertain me you bastards.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Innit! I actually lolled at this

"If you're nearer 30 than 20 and still care about Call of Duty or Smash Bros, chances are you were dropped on your head as a child." I'll be sure to tell that to everyone I know who likes those two games :D

Reminds me of E's opinions on most films I get her to watch (e.g. the Tarkovsky Solaris, anything by Terrence Malick, Un Chien Andalou (although she did like the Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and the Three Colours films). You either get a "big pile of wank" or a "small pile of wank" depending on how much she liked it :D

I've got to say that reading the responses to some of the announcements over on gaming side makes me feel like I'm 80, not 30 odd.

"OH MY GOD YES"
"I AM SHAKING"
"YES YES YES YES"
"I ACTUALLY CRIED"
"YESYEYESYEYSYSYESYESYE`Y28E9HP13URN"

Etc etc etc. It's a corporate announcement!?!?!?! With a CG trailer!?!?

I like the fact Andrew House is named after a thing though.

Oh man totally, the hyperbole does my nut in. I know that I should have empathy and respect others' passions but jesus fuck YOU'RE DOING LIFE WRONG YOU WANKERS. "That looks cool" or "wow graphics" is about as far as I go.

And re movies, I'm lucky in that me and mrs H have similarly indulgent tastes, we hardly ever have opposite opinions on a film and can watch some fairly out there stuff and give it the benefit of the doubt. I like a good arty film, makes me feel all spesh and culchard. It's sweet that E indulges you even though she doesn't sound particularly interested in it. That's love that is.

8bit

Knows the Score

I can't agree, it's not very good. It keeps trying to divert you from doing anything by alerting you to an evil thing going on when you reach a story target. One example recently was some guy was accused of being a rapist as soon as I got near a mission, so it distracted me to go and kill the rapey monster. The cars are mostly terrible to drive, CTos seems to find you really easily so even trying to get across the map turns into a chase. The distractions such as Chess, AR shooting, Poker are unrewarding if competent and the music is mostly terrible (IMO, but the only tracks I've heard so far that I liked were Tortoise & Curtis Mayfield).

Disclaimer, I hated GTAV mostly.

Reknoc

I have no interest in Watch Dogs as I can only stomach Ubisofts open world garbage in one series and that's Far Cry for me.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Oh man totally, the hyperbole does my nut in. I know that I should have empathy and respect others' passions but jesus fuck YOU'RE DOING LIFE WRONG YOU WANKERS. "That looks cool" or "wow graphics" is about as far as I go.

And re movies, I'm lucky in that me and mrs H have similarly indulgent tastes, we hardly ever have opposite opinions on a film and can watch some fairly out there stuff and give it the benefit of the doubt. I like a good arty film, makes me feel all spesh and culchard. It's sweet that E indulges you even though she doesn't sound particularly interested in it. That's love that is.

Yeah definitely! We're complete opposites in so many ways. I'm all floaty and daft, uber-fickle (seriously, I have no strong opinions about anything, I have an awful habit of agreeing with whatever the last person said) and neurotic and she's totally grounded, practical and sensible. I like anything pretentious and she likes Transformers. Bloody Transformers. Transformers!!! - but most important thing is that we can take the piss out of each other and make each other laugh. I like it when people disagree with me in funny ways, it makes me happy :)

Although I am a bit jealous, I bet you can go to see arthouse films and everything! I'm still working on E watching Solaris again. I'm five years in now, but I'm not giving up.

This is distracting me from doing the housework!!

Are you a bog door open couple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom