• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So Destiny seems cool. I like how when you find other people they don't just try and kill you. But I can only remote play as E is not so good and the remote play controls don't work properly. Grrrrrr. This weekend I swear. If anyone would like to join a 'fireteam' and go on a 'strike' around 'old Russia' let me know.

Hystzen

Played some Destiny aka it totally not Halo guys honest for past 30 mins.

It really is halo from elites to flood and gunplay with a tired sounding peter dinklage as your guide

NinjaBoiX

Happy Birthday duck.

It really is halo from elites to flood and gunplay with a tired sounding peter dinklage as your guide
Peeps need to learn to use inverted commas man, I had to read the bolded part three times before it made any sense. Hystzen's inimitable posting style is difficult to parse at the best of times.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Does that mean you don't like it? I will add you when I am back in front of the ps4.

Happy Birthday duck.

Peeps need to learn to use inverted commas man, I had to read the bolded part three times before it made any sense. Hystzen's inimitable posting style is difficult to parse at the best of times.

Parse is such a good word.

Hystzen

Does that mean you don't like it? I will add you when I am back in front of the ps4.

It done opposite to me from zero interest to actually enjoying it. Well put some more time into it tomorrow with the free roam and PVP. Character creation was wonky with me also could not see what making due to helmet being on no matter what.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
VaysBL3.jpg

Anybody else think Deal or No Deal is fucking abysmal? Caught my mum watching it the other day and it's easily one of the worst things I've seen in a long time. How they get an hour long show out of opening random boxes is beyond me. Noel Edmonds is an annoying sack of crap too. Trying to make the game seem more complex than it actually is by informing contestants who appear to have the brain capacity of a nat that every opening of the boxes is a tactical decision, the contestants do all kinds of stupid bullshit like holding hands and chanting too.

It's a 3 way draw between this, Big Brother, and TOWIE for worst UK show at the moment for me.

8bit

Knows the Score
Anybody else think Deal or No Deal is fucking abysmal? Caught my mum watching it the other day and it's easily one of the worst things I've seen in a long time. How they get an hour long show out of opening random boxes is beyond me. Noel Edmonds is an annoying sack of crap too. Trying to make the game seem more complex than it actually is by informing contestants who appear to have the brain capacity of a nat that every opening of the boxes is a tactical decision, the contestants do all kinds of stupid bullshit like holding hands and chanting too.

It's a 3 way draw between this, Big Brother, and TOWIE for worst UK show at the moment for me.

I've never quite understood it, people stand beside boxes and then Mr. Blobby phones Noel Tidybeard to tell him what he'd like to do sexually to the contestants or something.

However, my parents were visiting a while back and insisted on watching something on ITV which seemed more stupid, it was a version of the penny waterfall things found in arcades but with questions but you couldn't win packets of fags or anything cool.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've never quite understood it, people stand beside boxes and then Mr. Blobby phones Noel Tidybeard to tell him what he'd like to do sexually to the contestants or something.

However, my parents were visiting a while back and insisted on watching something on ITV which seemed more stupid, it was a version of the penny waterfall things found in arcades but with questions but you couldn't win packets of fags or anything cool.

Oh Jesus, with Ben Shepard? I'd rather be vigorously humped in stab wounds by a pack of wild dogs than watch that shit. Also: Gogglebox.

NinjaBoiX

The worst thing about Deal or No Deal is how much Noel wanks on about their "game plan" and how they've played a "really smart play".

Dude, they're opening numbered boxes randomly, it's not exactly Mastermind.

Also, lol at Noel Tidybeard.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh Jesus, with Ben Shepard? I'd rather be vigorously humped in stab wounds by a pack of wild dogs than watch that shit. Also: Gogglebox.

I quite like Gogglebox, it's an interesting look into how normies think. And it also means I don't need to watch crap telly because it recaps it all for me, very considerate. It's the kind of show where it's fun to make up horrible lies about the people on the screen and imagine them being terrible morally corrupt arseholes.

Big Brother continues to be great this year so far. It's just so cunty.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I quite like Gogglebox, it's an interesting look into how normies think. And it also means I don't need to watch crap telly because it recaps it all for me, very considerate. It's the kind of show where it's fun to make up horrible lies about the people on the screen and imagine them being terrible morally corrupt arseholes.

Big Brother continues to be great this year so far. It's just so cunty.

Gogglebox is the beginning of the end. It's navel gazing of the worst kind. A cultural Ouroboros. It's humanity getting high off the smell of it's own cold, grey farts. Eventually, we will be swallowed up by our own yawning arseholes and all that will remain among the decaying buildings and cracked streets are huge mountains of rotting celebrity autobiographies, copies of Heat flapping through the windy sky like deformed, ill-informed birds, and our arseholes.

These are the end times.

SteveWD40

The worst thing about Deal or No Deal is how much Noel wanks on about their "game plan" and how they've played a "really smart play".

Dude, they're opening numbered boxes randomly, it's not exactly Mastermind.

Also, lol at Noel Tidybeard.

I hate it when they are "getting a feel" from a box.

It's random you muppets.

8bit

Knows the Score
The posho drunks from that come dine with me alike things about bed and breakfasts are kind of funny but I don't watch enough TV to know what they're watching.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Gogglebox is the beginning of the end. It's navel gazing of the worst kind. A cultural Ouroboros. It's humanity getting high off the smell of it's own cold, grey farts. Eventually, we will be swallowed up by our own yawning arseholes and all that will remain among the decaying buildings and cracked streets are huge mountains of rotting celebrity autobiographies, copies of Heat flapping through the windy sky like deformed, ill-informed birds, and our arseholes.

These are the end times.

I see and understand what you are saying, and yes at times it is totally populist pandering wank (why are they ALL watching Britain's Got Talent and fawning over Ant and Dec doing a stunt? Are people really that easily impressed??). But the way I look at it is that TV takes up a large part in most people's lives, and I think it's an interesting window into one's mind when you can see what people watch and their reactions to it, much as with other forms of media. Also, I think that 'normal' people are grossly underrepresented on TV, so it's nice to see some people who are essentially very nice and good people just relaxing and shooting the shit. It's also a fairly good conversation starter, their views will often spark off a good debate in my living room too.

/contrarian mofucka

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Being dragged off to see Oculus at the cinema tonight, have no idea if it'll be good or not, mrs just saw an ad last night and said we're going to see it. Karen Gillen on the big screen can't be all bad though can it?

I hate it when they are "getting a feel" from a box.

It's random you muppets.

I used to watch the show religiously back in uni (I think, like Millionaire, I just wanted to see someone win the top prize). One time, a guy went on and just opened them from left to right because he, rightly, reasoned that that combination was as likely to get him a good deal as any other.

It was a real challenge for Noel to string it out because he basically had nothing to talk about. He went into maximum bullshit overdrive mode for that one (I think drama students should watch it for an example of how to do improv or something, how the fuck does he string it out to full episode length every single day??). Unfortunately, the guy didn't win much money if I remember rightly :-(

SmokyDave

These are the end times.
I have no idea what Gogglebox is, but you've made me want to find out. I hope you're happy.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I see and understand what you are saying, and yes at times it is totally populist pandering wank (why are they ALL watching Britain's Got Talent and fawning over Ant and Dec doing a stunt? Are people really that easily impressed??). But the way I look at it is that TV takes up a large part in most people's lives, and I think it's an interesting window into one's mind when you can see what people watch and their reactions to it, much as with other forms of media. Also, I think that 'normal' people are grossly underrepresented on TV, so it's nice to see some people who are essentially very nice and good people just relaxing and shooting the shit. It's also a fairly good conversation starter, their views will often spark off a good debate in my living room too.

/contrarian mofucka

XD

It doesn’t bother me that the show or its content panders to the popular. The success of the show depends on them talking about stuff that lots of people have seen. I can’t imagine the drunk couple discussing Jodorowsky's version of Dune going down all that well.

It’s the whole concept of the show, it genuinely scare me! The idea of sitting and watching people on TV sitting and watching TV is one thing, but imagine if the people on Gogglebox started watching Gogglebox. We’re only a few steps away from sitting and watching people on TV sitting and watching people on TV sitting and watching people on T---

Exploding-Head.gif

It’s like the nightmarish ending of a PKD novel. Nothing new comes from it. It has the same cultural value as those Top 100 shows that dominated the airwaves around the millennium.

I have no idea what Gogglebox is, but you've made me want to find out. I hope you're happy.

NOOOO THAT WAS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF MY INTENTION

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've never seen Gogglebox. Games are my TV it seems. My capacity for any form of non hame conversation is scarily low now though. Although We've made a pact this weekend to watch at least one episode of House of Cards and one episode of Breaking Bad without any gadgets (ie no vita for me, no ipad for her).

NinjaBoiX

Life news:

Ross just split up with Michelle which is a bit of a spanner in the works. Need to rejig the plans, find a place to live, yadda yadda. Issues and stuff.

Drink news:

I just tried some of that flavoured coconut water that sploatee was bigging up, tasted like someone put a pinch of salt in some Ribena.

Gross.

Hystzen

Man that thread with Aisha Taylor answering questions is cracking me up. Amount of salt some people got due to her saying no wii or wii u was amazong

SteveWD40

Life news:

Ross just split up with Michelle which is a bit of a spanner in the works. Need to rejig the plans, find a place to live, yadda yadda. Issues and stuff.

Your bro? bummer.

This must affect the plans a fair bit, there are plenty of house / flat shares about in the city or just outside it. If you want an opinion on anywhere let me know.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks a lot Steve, appreciate it bro. I might call on your help but I think Ross has it covered. Going to have a long chat tonight and get stuff sorted.

He seems fine, he's been wanting out for a while to be honest. It's just I'd currently planned to move very little stuff down, sell a lot of the other stuff, and live there for very little rent for a while, kind of like a soft transition.

But shit just got very real very quickly! I'll be alright, just need to process shit and give my head a shake.

Edit: cheers sploatee.

But not for the coconut water. :)

Hystzen

My current drink when out in Manchester is go M&S for a Moroccan Mint And white Tea . Have it in bottles near sandwiches and the best supermarket sushi sets

Had a good time on Destiny last night. In a way it raised more questions than answers in regards to how certain things work. What's more important though is just how the moment to moment game feels, and I like it quite a lot. Gunplay feels quite good, as does moving around the world, which feels fairly open. The visuals aren't mind blowing but I like the aesthetic and it's sufficiently different in look and feel to other shooters.

I went for the Titan class and Exo race and made a mean looking robot. For me it sort of feels like a missed opportunity not giving Humans, Awoken and Exos unique characteristics like the racial bonuses in Elder Scrolls games. It wouldn't need to be constrictive, just a few passive buffs in certain areas. Without any of that it seems like a purely cosmetic choice, which is odd considering you can only see players with their helmets off in the Tower. I doubt your chosen race will affect side quests or anything like that either.

There are mechanics in the game that I didn't know about before playing and couldn't find a lot of information on in game. There are these called engrams which are a kind of loot that needs to be decoded before you can see what it is and equip it. Decoding it of course costs money. It seems like you're more likely to find high quality stuff in an engram than at a vendor; I decoded one and got a chunky belt fed machinegun as a heavy weapon (I don't think vendors sell those.) Heavy weapons are obviously more potent than your primary but it's rare you'll find ammuntion for them so (as I suppose is intended) you'll want to cling onto that heavy ammo until you need it against a tougher enemy or boss.

Another mechanic I'm still not 100% on is Crucible Marks (there's a second one too, I forget the name). They seem to act like a sub currency you need to get higher quality kit. Along side that I think there's some kind of reputation score you can gain which again allows you to get better equipment. I'm still none the wiser about the factions, which have interested me from the start. I found NPCs representing all of them in the Tower, and they all sell exclusive stuff but there seems to be no other interaction with them; it doesn't seem like you can go up to a guy from New Monarchy or Seven Seraphs and ask for a quest.

Most of the time I spent outside of the Tower was just exploring. There are beacons dotted around the map that offer you small quests like go to this place, hack that, kill this many enemies, collect x amount of y from z enemies etc. These seem like mini quests which will refresh often but have no impact outside of doing them and getting a reward, so you'll always have something to do. I performed a number of these and they give you a suitable amount of purpose in your exploration; I might have missed a chunk of the map if a quest hadn't taken me there.

Overall I'm enjoying myself and, while I always suspected I'd get Destiny, now I know I want the full thing. Before my interest had been fluctuating as I was at turns intriqued by the promise and frustrated by the vagueness of the information surrounding it. My lasting memories of my first session were three things; being pleasantly reminded of S.T.A.L.K.E.R in some of the dark sub-terranean sections, dancing with 10 other players in the Tower: you can use buttons on the D-Pad for gestures, so you can wave, sit down and yes, dance. Lastly, I had en enormous amount of fun instantly killing low level aliens by punching them hard in the face (which is how the Titan class seems to melee.)

Will be on again tonight but only for so long before I go out to watch Spain vs Holland.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've tried coconut water as well. Hopefully that is as close as I get to finding out what semen tastes like.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Thanks for writing that up. Looking forward to giving it a try when I finish a very long day. I decided to go back to Borderlands on the Vita for lunch hours. I'm not hating it as much now. In fact it's hard to stop grinding and go back to work. It's still shonky, but I guess the underlying design just works. 3 more hours...

Edit - not to Jb, ovs. And Jb, semen is much harder to swallow.

NinjaBoiX

NinjaBro, this is your favourite new band: Signals - Sleep Talk
Really nice Jed, ta for the link. Those time signatures are so sporadic, love it! Lush voice too, good stuff breh.
I've tried coconut water as well. Hopefully that is as close as I get to finding out what semen tastes like.
I was so thirsty so I wanted to just down something sweet and wet. Took a mouthful and immediately tasted salt. It's like when something doesn't taste how you expect so you think it's off or something.

I took another sip, knowing what to expect, still didn't dig. I would drink it on a desert island so I didn't die, but yeah, not a fan!

I thought the stuff that comes out of coconuts was known as coconut milk, unless coconut water is some kind of new age spin off.

Also yes I realised halfway through relating my Destiny adventures that it might be better off in the Destiny Alpha impressions thread so I cross posted it there for maximum existence-justifying-replies.

Hystzen

Had a good time on Destiny last night. In a way it raised more questions than answers in regards to how certain things work. What's more important though is just how the moment to moment game feels, and I like it quite a lot. Gunplay feels quite good, as does moving around the world, which feels fairly open. The visuals aren't mind blowing but I like the aesthetic and it's sufficiently different in look and feel to other shooters.

I went for the Titan class and Exo race and made a mean looking robot. For me it sort of feels like a missed opportunity not giving Humans, Awoken and Exos unique characteristics like the racial bonuses in Elder Scrolls games. It wouldn't need to be constrictive, just a few passive buffs in certain areas. Without any of that it seems like a purely cosmetic choice, which is odd considering you can only see players with their helmets off in the Tower. I doubt your chosen race will affect side quests or anything like that either.

There are mechanics in the game that I didn't know about before playing and couldn't find a lot of information on in game. There are these called engrams which are a kind of loot that needs to be decoded before you can see what it is and equip it. Decoding it of course costs money. It seems like you're more likely to find high quality stuff in an engram than at a vendor; I decoded one and got a chunky belt fed machinegun as a heavy weapon (I don't think vendors sell those.) Heavy weapons are obviously more potent than your primary but it's rare you'll find ammuntion for them so (as I suppose is intended) you'll want to cling onto that heavy ammo until you need it against a tougher enemy or boss.

Another mechanic I'm still not 100% on is Crucible Marks (there's a second one too, I forget the name). They seem to act like a sub currency you need to get higher quality kit. Along side that I think there's some kind of reputation score you can gain which again allows you to get better equipment. I'm still none the wiser about the factions, which have interested me from the start. I found NPCs representing all of them in the Tower, and they all sell exclusive stuff but there seems to be no other interaction with them; it doesn't seem like you can go up to a guy from New Monarchy or Seven Seraphs and ask for a quest.

Most of the time I spent outside of the Tower was just exploring. There are beacons dotted around the map that offer you small quests like go to this place, hack that, kill this many enemies, collect x amount of y from z enemies etc. These seem like mini quests which will refresh often but have no impact outside of doing them and getting a reward, so you'll always have something to do. I performed a number of these and they give you a suitable amount of purpose in your exploration; I might have missed a chunk of the map if a quest hadn't taken me there.

Overall I'm enjoying myself and, while I always suspected I'd get Destiny, now I know I want the full thing. Before my interest had been fluctuating as I was at turns intriqued by the promise and frustrated by the vagueness of the information surrounding it. My lasting memories of my first session were three things; being pleasantly reminded of S.T.A.L.K.E.R in some of the dark sub-terranean sections, dancing with 10 other players in the Tower: you can use buttons on the D-Pad for gestures, so you can wave, sit down and yes, dance. Lastly, I had en enormous amount of fun instantly killing low level aliens by punching them hard in the face (which is how the Titan class seems to melee.)

Will be on again tonight but only for so long before I go out to watch Spain vs Holland.

Obamanotbad.jpg

I still not done tower I just soloed the story mission and did a few the free roam missions. Rolled hunter that double jump is boss to use other power incendiary grenade

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Coconut water is different, it's water with coconut flavor and sometimes shavings in it. Coconut milk is much nicer IMO, my girlfriend puts it in her coffee.
Thanks for writing that up. Looking forward to giving it a try when I finish a very long day

Edit - not to Jb, ovs. And Jb, semen is much harder to swallow.
Haha, this made me laugh when you pointed out the context. And yeah, I believe it...

Hey can Vita borderlands 2 play multiplayer with PS3 borderlands 2? If so I might load it up to play with you guys sometime, I've been itching for some multiplayer and L4D2 isn't cutting it lately. Also tried Terraria, got irritated at the interface and quit after 5 minutes.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Coconut water is different, it's water with coconut flavor and sometimes shavings in it. Coconut milk is much nicer IMO, my girlfriend puts it in her coffee.Haha, this made me laugh when you pointed out the context. And yeah, I believe it...

Hey can Vita borderlands 2 play multiplayer with PS3 borderlands 2? If so I might load it up to play with you guys sometime, I've been itching for some multiplayer and L4D2 isn't cutting it lately. Also tried Terraria, got irritated at the interface and quit after 5 minutes.

No, it can only cross save, unfortunately.

Multiplayer wise the only games I play at the mo are Smite and Hearthstone, and I'm trying to cut down on Smite because it makes me a bit crazy and aggressive.

AcridMeat

Banned
Crosspost because you all deserve music too.
I feel like posting a grouping of various genres.

For the big beat/groovy goods: Gramatik - We Used To Dream

For the electro computer boppers: Metronomy - How Say

To just chill out on Friday: Boris Blenn - Mellow

Deep house bidnuss: Apex - By The Way

Sci fi exploration shit innit: Bjorn Lynne - Over Distant Shores

Sunny driving music: The War On Drugs - Under The Pressure

Some goht damn SOUL: Lee Moses - Bad Girl (part 1 & 2)

Song with one of the best jams at the end ever: Jimi Hendrix Experience - Bold As Love

And because it's just one of the best ever: Joy Divsion - Disorder

Because it's fire: Radiohead - Optimistic

For the FONK-AYyyy: Sly and the Family Stone - If You Want Me To Stay

Great hip hop funk: DJ Shadow - Stay The Course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom