• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I feel I may have missed out on something.

But please don't tell me what it is. I am probably happier not knowing.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I'm convinced GRRM starves himself to kindle his imagination and give himself the inspiration to write descriptions of feasts that go for several pages.

Then he rewards himself by eating twenty big macs and hibernating for six months. This is why his books take so long to write.

Whenever I read the sex scenes and the food scenes, I can't escape the image of him sitting on a throne furiously wanking with one hand and typing into his DOS computer with the other. Yet I keep reading. Well, mostly waiting.

That's not DQ5 maaaaaan.

DQ5 is the shit. You start as a little kid, you make a friend and go off on adventures. Then you grow up and meet your friend again and you can marry her (or some other slag respectable lady) and then you have babies and then shit goes down and then your babies SAVE YOU and then as a family you go off and fight the big bad.

And that's just the tentpoles of the story. I thought it was super well executed in comparison to a lot of other emotionally tone deaf Japanese stuff I've played.

Damn right. Dragon Quest usually nails the small, emotional moments, but V is on another level. The entire narrative arc is perfectly constructed and is quite unlike any other game I can think of. Earthbound is probably the closest thing to it, in terms of capturing touching, character moments, though it is tonally very different.

8bit

Knows the Score
Trying to get a software company that massively over-promised and under-delivered to at least tell us when they might start to resolve one major bug. Can't say I'm entirely delighted to be the internal face of a million dollar paper weight when everyone involved in the project phase has now disappeared. Whoever it was that thought contracting helicopter project managers was a good idea needs a good going over.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This morning is the last 'proper' day of summer exams and lo and behold there's a rather serious problem. We've fixed it but it involves the Headmaster (a chap I've never met) coming to my office. I do not like this at all, makes me nervous.

T minus 24 minutes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Heyyyyyy it went fine, HM is very nice. Was impressed by the art on my walls and was generally jovial and friendly. And that is that. One more day of exams and then that's another year's work done. Feels anticlimactic.

SmokyDave

I sometimes feel like the only living human that couldn't give a fuck about football. Listening to conversations about football is somewhat surreal. People live this shit like they were actually there on the pitch.

I mean, I watch the BTCC religiously and have done for years, but I'd never say 'I reckon I can win this one' when I actually meant 'I reckon my favourite driver can win this one'.

Eh, maybe I'm missing out on something. It evidently brings an awful lot of joy to an awful lot of people. I just find the 'tone' of football discussions to be a bit weird. World Cup time involves me smiling and nodding through a lot of conversations whilst playing generic hold music in my head.

Reknoc

I sometimes feel like the only living human that couldn't give a fuck about football. Listening to conversations about football is somewhat surreal. People live this shit like they were actually there on the pitch.

I mean, I watch the BTCC religiously and have done for years, but I'd never say 'I reckon I can win this one' when I actually meant 'I reckon my favourite driver can win this one'.

this is what gets me as well. During league time or whatever and people are all "well we lost this one but we can still make up the points" and i'm just like "who is this we, you didn't do shit" unless football is more like inazuma eleven than I thought and during the match players do some sort of spirit bomb shit that takes the energy from the fans.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm with Team Smoky on this one. The whole tone of football conversations is so blokey and dumb, it's almost as bad as people talking about strategic moves in the console business. I bet they're just regurgitating whatever some mumbley fuck was saying on the post-game last night, or constantly referring to the three or four names they actually know.

But I guess these are the choices we make or are made for us. I have no room in my head for football, i'm too awesome already.

jdw_b

I tend to find people revert to football talk as a way of filling a gap in conversation...

"So did you see xxx game last night?"

"No I didnt watch it"

Just like I didn't watch the last 50 games you asked me about either

NinjaBoiX

I'm weird with football. I don't really take an interest in it, but I find myself thoroughly entertained when I watch it. But it's just so deep, and requires such an in depth knowledge to really partake in conversation.

I often try and wing it when someone I don't have a lot in common with starts a footy conversation. But it usually last around a minute or so of me nodding appreciatively and saying "oh yeah, def" occasionally before I get asked something specific.

Then I just fess up and bail. :|
The whole tone of football conversations is so blokey and dumb, it's almost as bad as people talking about strategic moves in the console business. I bet they're just regurgitating whatever some mumbley fuck was saying on the post-game last night, or constantly referring to the three or four names they actually know.
I don't think this is true at all, at least not in my experience.

SKINNER!

Banned
I tend to find people revert to football talk as a way of filling a gap in conversation...

"So did you see xxx game last night?"

"No I didnt watch it"

Just like I didn't watch the last 50 games you asked me about either

obligatoryWengerputtingonWolcottearlyresponse

EDIT: GODDAMMIT

SKINNER!

Banned
Sooooo England are playing tonight....against Uruguay...who are also desperately in need of a win...in order to stay alive in this tournament...just like England...but they have a history of choking under pressure....

7Q8kNxF.gif

Loooord have mercy.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm weird with football. I don't really take an interest in it, but I find myself thoroughly entertained when I watch it. But it's just so deep, and requires such an in depth knowledge to really partake in conversation.

I often try and wing it when someone I don't have a lot in common with starts a footy conversation. But it usually last around a minute or so of me nodding appreciatively and saying "oh yeah, def" occasionally before I get asked something specific.

Then I just fess up and bail. :|

I don't think this is true at all, at least not in my experience.

Waaaaait a sec, you just recounted your experience and it sounds a lot like my spiky hyperhole. Your football talk needs to fall back on generalisations and the few nuggets that you do know about.

Nothing to worry about chap, you're in good company with most English males.

So how about that last issue of Batman eh? We totally beat up the bad guy.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Fing about Microsoft is, they always try an' walk it in.

I've recent ranted about this, but Sony and Microsoft don't hate each other! They're just offices with office drones doing office things! I bet they have IT problems and everything! And I bet half the people who work at Sony's computer / games bit once worked at Microsoft! Etc! Ahem

SmokyDave

Cheers chaps and chapesses. Good to know I'm not alone.

Maybe I should print and laminate a cheat-sheet of generic football phrases.

Three Lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming, 48 years of hurt, Never stopped me dreaming
I read this post as the lines were being sung (as we obviously need football songs in the office at the moment). Surreal.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
this is what gets me as well. During league time or whatever and people are all "well we lost this one but we can still make up the points" and i'm just like "who is this we, you didn't do shit" unless football is more like inazuma eleven than I thought and during the match players do some sort of spirit bomb shit that takes the energy from the fans.

That IS irritating. It's like if I saw a band I was into and said "Well, we played a corker tonight."

NinjaBoiX

Waaaaait a sec, you just recounted your experience and it sounds a lot like my spiky hyperhole. Your football talk needs to fall back on generalisations and the few nuggets that you do know about.

Nothing to worry about chap, you're in good company with most English males.

So how about that last issue of Batman eh? We totally beat up the bad guy.
Well yeah, but that's me, I don't really take an interest. But most of my mates love it and seem to really know their stuff. They have heated disagreements and everything!

Unless they are just the best wingers in the world, like that Theo Walcott. :p

And meh, comic talk. The lore of comics is so transient and ever changing that it seems kind of pointless to even get up to speed. Don't they basically just rewrite the stories every now and then they get bored/realise they've left gaping plot holes?

Blink Me

I read this post as the lines were being sung (as we obviously need football songs in the office at the moment). Surreal.

Awesome did they sing 48 years of hurt or stick to 30?

Euro 2016 we'll be able to sing 50 years of hurt. And it will be 20 years since we've reached even a Semi-Final.

SKINNER!

Banned
Awesome did they sing 48 years of hurt or stick to 30?

Euro 2016 we'll be able to sing 50 years of hurt. And it will be 20 years since we've reached even a Semi-Final.

Pffft, count yourselves lucky. In 2016, it'll be 18 years since Scotland last qualified for a major tournament.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
And meh, comic talk. The lore of comics is so transient and ever changing that it seems kind of pointless to even get up to speed. Don't they basically just rewrite the stories every now and then they get bored/realise they've left gaping plot holes?

Ah *adjusts glasses*

Given a long enough timeline, all stories are ephemeral, my friend. Like music, they are living entities in a constant state of flux and ever evolving. You see, with each telling around the "social campfire" (so to speak), stories are adapted and altered by each successive generation with only key resonant elements staying the same as they are passed to the next.

In that sense, comic book canon is very much a modern mythology. Or summink.

Interesting, no?

Guys...?

...guys?

Fuck it.

ROOOONEY! OOO R YA! FUTBUUUULLL! DION DUBLIN IS A WANKA! etc.

The World Cup is great so far. Lot's of goals, not many draws. No fucking vuvuzelas.

My mate is fuming because he'd put money on Spain winning it. They got knocked out by Chile last night. Winners of the last world cup couldn't even get out of the group stages. *laughs audibly*

Big game tonite; England vs Uarergay. Hopefully we demolish them otherwise I might have to solemnly remove the St George's flag I have up in my window. It'd be a real shame if I can't continue to engage with my fellow patriots in the pub. Many pints will be had with white van men and Sun readers ce soir. Uregouy are supposed to be quite a good team but I'm sure we'll burn their dreams to ashes.

Death to Uregaoy.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ah *adjusts glasses*

Given a long enough timeline, all stories are ephemeral, my friend. Like music, they are living entities in a constant state of flux and ever evolving. You see, with each telling around the "social campfire" (so to speak), stories are adapted and altered by each successive generation with only key resonant elements staying the same as they are passed to the next.

Interesting, no?

Guys...?

...guys?

Fuck it.

You got it brudda. That's the best thing about comics, they change with the times. DC are just redoing Batman's origin and it's dope as fuck.

The_Poet

Banned
The World Cup is great so far. Lot's of goals, not many draws. No fucking vuvuzelas.

My mate is fuming because he'd put money on Spain winning it. They got knocked out by Chile last night. Winners of the last world cup couldn't even get out of the group stages. *laughs audibly*

Big game tonite; England vs Uarergay. Hopefully we demolish them otherwise I might have to solemnly remove the St George's flag I have up in my window. It'd be a real shame if I can't continue to engage with my fellow patriots in the pub. Many pints will be had with white van men and Sun readers ce soir. Uregouy are supposed to be quite a good team but I'm sure we'll burn their dreams to ashes.

Death to Uregaoy.

I've got a tenner on Lambert to score at any time in the world cup.
G'WAN RICKY

Reknoc

Ah *adjusts glasses*

Interesting, no?

Guys...?

...guys?

Fuck it.

this is a pretty good way to say that DC and Marvel are too afraid to drop their ancient characters.

Blink Me

South Americans to cheat

To be expected although at Euro 2012 Ashley Young was a cheating bastard as well. Thankfully he's not in the England squad. I just want England to play well and if we lose I want Uruguay to win fairly none of the disallowed goals/Rooney sent off bollocks which happened at 2004 and 2006 with Portugal.

I do wonder how well a British national team would do. In the 60's we could have Geroge Best, 80's Dalglish and Rush, 90's Giggs, now Bale.

8bit

Knows the Score
this is a pretty good way to say that DC and Marvel are too afraid to drop their ancient characters.

Don't think Marvel is quite as bad, but DC keep reinventing their lot be new people under the hood or new versions of the character but I can't think of any new characters of late that have stuck.

Established hero & quirk = new take

It's the Flash! But he's african-american!
It's Batman! But he's in the future and mentored by an old version of Bruce Wayne!

It's all a bit everything's a remix.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You got it brudda. That's the best thing about comics, they change with the times. DC are just redoing Batman's origin and it's dope as fuck.

They are? Who's on writing duties?

Why fix what ain't broke?

Don't think Marvel is quite as bad, but DC keep reinventing their lot be new people under the hood or new versions of the character but I can't think of any new characters of late that have stuck.

Established hero & quirk = new take

It's the Flash! But he's african-american!
It's Batman! But he's in the future and mentored by an old version of Bruce Wayne!

It's all a bit everything's a remix.

I like that though. The Elseworlds style "what-if" comics are some of the best, like Red Son: "It's Superman! But he's a commie and works for Stalin!". Earth 2 Batman is the nuts, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom