• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
I like that though. The Elseworlds style "what-if" comics are some of the best, like Red Son: "It's Superman! But he's a commie and works for Stalin!". Earth 2 Batman is the nuts, too.

Yeah, that's true. When someone does make it work it's usually great but there are an awful lot of crappy takes too. See the Justice Legion from 1,000,000 vs. Stan Lee Imagine's as extremes of this idea.

I've got a penny black!

that makes me a millionaire right?

I've got a penny. :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, that's true. When someone does make it work it's usually great but there are an awful lot of crappy takes too. See the Justice Legion from 1,000,000 vs. Stan Lee Imagine's as extremes of this idea.

I've got a penny. :(

I thought the Legion 1 Mil was pretty dope. barely any shitter than normal Legion.

This is also my required monthly post saying that DC One Million was the best crossover ever.

Wrong thread for it perhaps.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yo BGBW, not long before I jet off to Tokyo. Give me some weird cool places to check out son!

Nakano Broadway for lots of shops that sell collectables.
Kappabashi to see lots of catering based shops including shops that sell the wax food you see in the front of restaurants.

NinjaBoiX

Ah *adjusts glasses*

Given a long enough timeline, all stories are ephemeral, my friend. Like music, they are living entities in a constant state of flux and ever evolving. You see, with each telling around the "social campfire" (so to speak), stories are adapted and altered by each successive generation with only key resonant elements staying the same as they are passed to the next.

In that sense, comic book canon is very much a modern mythology. Or summink.

Interesting, no?
Fair enough, I guess that's true.

Too-shay.
We could make things even cooler in this thread if we started talking about our stamp collections
What about if I post this track from this super hip band? It's the closer from the latest record, took me a while to warm to it but I'm digging.

(Seriously, give it a whirl. It's a million miles away from their usual bubblegum pop punk, they sound like a different band, it all goes a bit shoegazing prog-rock around the 3 minute mark tbh. Also, it doesn't end at 5:30, it just a wanky, pretentious volume dip. Paramore and "wanky and pretentious" in the same sentence, who'd have thunk it!)

Paramore - Future

The lyrics are very apt for me at the minute too. (Got the house, yiss!)

What about if I post this track from this super hip band? It's the closer from the latest record, took me a while to warm to it but I'm digging.

(Seriously, give it a whirl. It's a million miles away from their usual bubblegum pop punk, they sound like a different band, it all goes a bit shoegazing prog-rock around the 3 minute mark tbh. Also, it doesn't end at 5:30, it just a wanky, pretentious volume dip. Paramore and "wanky and pretentious" in the same sentence, who'd have thunk it!)

Paramore - Future

The lyrics are very apt for me at the minute too. (Got the house, yiss!)

I raise you one Frank Turner being fucking loud

MAKE WAY FOR THE MONGOL HORDE
COMING BACK TO FUCK YOU UP
MAKE WAY FOR THE MONGOL HORDE
COMING BACK TO FUCK YOU UP

NinjaBoiX

Frank Turner's earlier stuff was alright, he's a bit of a sellout chump nowadays. Not really a fan of that though.

Also, I think we shot the thread in the head.

Edit: praise be to sploat.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
He's a tory isn't he? A tory punk, right?!

Awww don't break my heart Sploats :(

Million Dead were pretty right on and he didn't seem very right wing then. His newer albums have been a bit shit, but he does write some great love songs to rock and roll.

He should have never got in on Mumford's waistcoat look though

The_Poet

Banned
Frank Turner's earlier stuff was alright, he's a bit of a sellout chump nowadays. Not really a fan of that though.

Also, I think we shot the thread in the head.

Edit: praise be to sploat.

hipster-barista.jpg

Blink Me

I don't listen to Frank Turner but I remember reading an interview where he said he didn't support the conservative party he just hated the left wing know it alls he grew up with who thought that the USSR was a good thing.

He's a tory isn't he? A tory punk, right?!

Funny story about that, one of the interviews that started that whole mess was written by my friend, who then spent the entire day after that Guardian article went up totally freaking out because he thought he'd made a mistake due to alcohol. It was pretty great.

On his politics: Not a tory, but he does have some fiscally right wing beliefs. I think it's all been blown out of proportion a bit, just because punk is so left wing. I dunno. We may not agree personally about what the best way of going about it is, but none of his core beliefs really seem to be as awful as they were made out to be. But then this is all second hand information so I dunno.

Also he agrees that Cameron is a shit. So he's got that going for him at the very least.

I don't listen to Frank Turner but I remember reading an interview where he said he didn't support the conservative party he just hated the left wing know it alls he grew up with who thought that the USSR was a good thing.

That was my friend's interview! :D

Moon and Back right?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Funny story about that, one of the interviews that started that whole mess was written by my friend, who then spent the entire day after that Guardian article went up totally freaking out because he thought he'd made a mistake due to alcohol. It was pretty great.

On his politics: Not a tory, but he does have some fiscally right wing beliefs. I think it's all been blown out of proportion a bit, just because punk is so left wing. I dunno. We may not agree personally about what the best way of going about it is, but none of his core beliefs really seem to be as awful as they were made out to be. But then this is all second hand information so I dunno.

Also he agrees that Cameron is a shit. So he's got that going for him at the very least.

That was my friend's interview! :D

Moon and Back right?

I have a tory friend. I'm totally cool with people's lifestyle choices!

Tbh it probably is all guff. It's one of those things that sticks though. Maybe cos right wing punk (afaik) is a pretty scary business.

SKINNER!

Banned
Smile, man! We're on our way to paying off the deficit!

Only deficit I want to pay off is my attention.

Nakano Broadway for lots of shops that sell collectables.
Kappabashi to see lots of catering based shops including shops that sell the wax food you see in the front of restaurants.

Mmm. waxy foods. Never knew about Nakano Broadway so I'll check out that place :) Cheers

It's just a fashion accessory. Girls do it all the time, it's really attractive to me.

*rolls eyes*

There have also been right wing punks before. Jonny Ramone, the Vandals and Ben Weasel have supported the Republican party.

Probably it was a while ago when I read it.

Fair enough, it's like 3 or 4 years old now I think.

And to be fair, Ben Weasel is a fucking arsehole. I watched part of Screeching Weasel's set at Groezrock and actually had to leave because he legitimately shilled for Monster. On stage. He tried to make it jokey but that just made it more embarrassing. Had to leave after that, couldn't be dealing with the bullshit. Not to mention the whole thing that happened with The Max Levine Ensemble. Though that did cause the best diss EP ever.

Makes me sad though, because Boogadaboogadaboogada and My Brain Hurts are really fucking good albums. The Science Of Myth probably should've been a warning though.

Blink Me

Fair enough, it's like 3 or 4 years old now I think.

And to be fair, Ben Weasel is a fucking arsehole. I watched part of Screeching Weasel's set at Groezrock and actually had to leave because he legitimately shilled for Monster. On stage. He tried to make it jokey but that just made it more embarrassing. Had to leave after that, couldn't be dealing with the bullshit. Not to mention the whole thing that happened with The Max Levine Ensemble. Though that did cause the best diss EP ever.

Makes me sad though, because Boogadaboogadaboogada and My Brain Hurts are really fucking good albums. The Science Of Myth probably should've been a warning though.

Yeah Ben Weasels a cunt he punched two women in the face at one of the Screeching Weasel reunion shows. Was kind of worrying how many people on punk websites were defending him. I always thought the Queers were the better band of the two (when they actually want to be good). But I've got Boogadaboogadaboogada and Anthem for A New Tomorrow. And some other random songs by them.

NinjaBoiX

So as I say, we got accepted for the house, done deal. So we'll likely be having some sort of housewarming thingy in a week or two. Just wanted to invite you peeps to come and have a few drinks and stuff, maybe a game of charades or something if we're feeling crazy.

Deets to follow.
She actually looks really cute there.
You sound surprised. Embrace the crush sploatee, don't be ashamed.
Haha, there is some hilarious fanart around.
Dat anal thread is the best thing this week. So much funs.
Yeah, it's good stuff. That Art dude is so butthurt. Teehee.
Football talk, hipsters and abundant Hayley Williams. This thread fell off hard. Bring back KP.
Such a minge these days.

SKINNER!

Banned
Fuck you "shorty" (which is a lie, you're tall, I just outed you).

Topic.

Give me one.

Motherfucker.

Low blow man..low blow.

Topic: Yo-yos or Tazos?

it's that fucking avatar thread

ninj thinks he can just dominate every thread with that banshee now

it's not right, I tell you

I like you Hot Coldman. You're one of the guys in this thread alongside the great Chinner. You watch out for that Jedeye now...He'll poke you in the Jedeye when you least it.

NinjaBoiX

You guys act like it's a recent thing, I've been a creepy fanboy for years. Also, it's often ironically playing up to stereotype.

Don't try to change me.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So as I say, we got accepted for the house, done deal. So we'll likely be having some sort of housewarming thingy in a week or two. Just wanted to invite you peeps to come and have a few drinks and stuff, maybe a game of charades or something if we're feeling crazy.

Deets to follow.

You sound surprised. Embrace the crush sploatee, don't be ashamed.

Haha, there is some hilarious fanart around.

Yeah, it's good stuff. That Art dude is so butthurt. Teehee.

Such a minge these days.

You know I am in. Will see if E is up to it. Will bring some teabags. Ho Ho Ho.

Low blow man..low blow.

Topic: Yo-yos or Tazos?

I like you Hot Coldman. You're one of the guys in this thread alongside the great Chinner. You watch out for that Jedeye now...He'll poke you in the Jedeye when you least it.

TAZOs!

SKINNER!

Banned

Tazos were cool and so were the slammers. Shiny pieces of cardboard and plastic with glitter and fluorescent colours. Looks so nice. Thing is, I always felt it was ridiculously easy to master as a game. With yo-yos, you can buy the cool ones that glow in the dark, light up or whatever and then still take a good while to master all the tricks and show them off to your crushes in the playground...assuming you had the patience to stick with it.

EDIT: Those tazos that had slits at the end of them so you can connect to other tazos were cool.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Tazos were a flash in the pan Pog clone. Yo-Yos are an evergreen toy relying on the wonders of gravity and string. People will still be using Yo Yos in a thousand years.

Tazos were cool and so were the slammers. Shiny pieces of cardboard and plastic with glitter and fluorescent colours. Looks so nice. Thing is, I always felt it was ridiculously easy to master as a game. With yo-yos, you can buy the cool ones that glow in the dark, light up or whatever and then still take a good while to master all the tricks and show them off to your crushes in the playground...assuming you had the patience to stick with it.

EDIT: Those tazos that had slits at the end of them so you can connect to other tazos were cool.

I had some of those. Never quite understood the point of joining them together though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom