• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Poet

Banned
Are they no good pot smoking degenerate beatnicks?

Take them to Amsterdam.

Interestingly me and a few buddies are deliberating over whether to go to Amsterdam or Berlin this September.

Nah we dont smoke, but will if we go there.

Berlin is fantastic. Met so many cool people just walking about and on the subway.

Theres a video of me sleeping on some strangers shoulder coming back from a night out. He seemed ok with it.

I'd like to go to Berlin but for my friends I think the allure of the coffee shops is strong. We've all been before so we'd know our way around too.

Still, I imagine the volk of Berlin would still be in high spirits after Germany inevitably crush Argentina in the final.

I've been listening to this a lot in the last couple of days, I wish it actually played during the game (same with the other songs actually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYDbWza2B6o

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I just got a message from my wife saying her dad has been 'screwed' by the council and I'm trying to figure out where I stand on this. Quick history - her dad is about 76, her mum is about 45 and really quite disabled - lots of mental health problems, spine problems, confined to a wheelchair. Neither of them work, obviously.

I'm not sure the hows and whys of it but somehow (they're very very frugal) he always had a bit too much money in the bank and yearly would have to give the kids about £200 each, probably about a grand a year, I guess so he didn't get taxed on his savings. Now because of new rules he's having to pay a lot more rent than previously and apparently got stung with some kind of council tax bill too. The trouble is, he's a fretful and untrusting old man, and trying to speak with him about it is almost impossible. As an old hippy he'd deeply distrustful of the government and so now it's all about him being attacked and robbed by them.

But in the bak of my head I'm thinking "wait, you're both on benefits (for good reason, but nonetheless), you shouldn't even be able to have savings". Is it cunty of me to have this thought? I have no problem with benefits, I think they are exactly for people in their position - old and disabled, utterly unable to work. But at the same time, you shouldn't have so many benefits that you can have reserve savings of X thousands. I work and I don't have savings. IMO the benefits should be enough to cover rent, bills, food and a little bit beside for quality of life and that's it.

So basically I know that when mrs gets home tonight I'm getting an earful of this. So help me prepare - do I say how I'm feeling, or do I just nod along with general "yeah that's terrible" stuff and not give my actual opinion?

NinjaBoiX

I'm in total agreement with you Jed. Benefits should be a means of getting by for those truly unable to work with a little left over so you don't have to live like a complete recluse.

But these sponging twats that work the system to such an extent that they're living like hogs in a fathouse simply because they have zero shame or self respect can fuck off.

Edit: I'm not suggesting your olds are the "hogs in a fathouse" type by the way, just venting like a Daily Mail reader, like I do occasionally.

I'm in total agreement with you Jed. Benefits should be a means of getting by for those truly unable to work with a little left over so you don't have to live like a complete recluse.

But these sponging twats that work the system to such an extent that they're living like hogs in a fathouse simply because they have zero shame or self respect can fuck off.

NinjaToryx

lol

I agree with you more or less though. I think for some people, legally exploting a lenient system and enjoying life because of it doesn't raise any moral dilemmas.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Vouchers. Food vouchers, rent vouchers, utilities vouchers. Probably a pain to admin but it would benefits can only be used for the needed benefit.

SmokyDave

I'm with ya, Jed. Although I begrudgingly support the welfare state, if you can afford the luxury of 'savings', you shouldn't be living off benefits.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So I just got a message from my wife saying her dad has been 'screwed' by the council and I'm trying to figure out where I stand on this. Quick history - her dad is about 76, her mum is about 45 and really quite disabled - lots of mental health problems, spine problems, confined to a wheelchair. Neither of them work, obviously.

I'm not sure the hows and whys of it but somehow (they're very very frugal) he always had a bit too much money in the bank and yearly would have to give the kids about £200 each, probably about a grand a year, I guess so he didn't get taxed on his savings. Now because of new rules he's having to pay a lot more rent than previously and apparently got stung with some kind of council tax bill too. The trouble is, he's a fretful and untrusting old man, and trying to speak with him about it is almost impossible. As an old hippy he'd deeply distrustful of the government and so now it's all about him being attacked and robbed by them.

But in the bak of my head I'm thinking "wait, you're both on benefits (for good reason, but nonetheless), you shouldn't even be able to have savings". Is it cunty of me to have this thought? I have no problem with benefits, I think they are exactly for people in their position - old and disabled, utterly unable to work. But at the same time, you shouldn't have so many benefits that you can have reserve savings of X thousands. I work and I don't have savings. IMO the benefits should be enough to cover rent, bills, food and a little bit beside for quality of life and that's it.

So basically I know that when mrs gets home tonight I'm getting an earful of this. So help me prepare - do I say how I'm feeling, or do I just nod along with general "yeah that's terrible" stuff and not give my actual opinion?

Having savings shouldn't preclude you from accessing benefits. The benefits should be reduced in line with your saved amounts. If he hasn't declared his savings (?) to the benefits authority that is his error. If the rules are changed to means test benefits because of savings held, then that's fair imo. If that means he has to pay more and receive less, well, tough. Benefits are a privilege, not a right.

The_Poet

Banned
It is a right actually, otherwise why are we contributing to national insurance?

Good point, its a right we all have as citizens. But gaming the system still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I've started drinking a new black tea 'Bai Lin Gong Fu' and that definitely doesn't leave a bad taste. Shits delicious.

SmokyDave

It is a right actually, otherwise why are we contributing to national insurance?
Perhaps it ought to be assessed as a right or a privilege based on NI contributions.

You can have cash right up until you reach your contribution limit. Then you can have vouchers.

7aged

^^
Sploatee,

Wasn't trying to get political, just thought people were getting a little carried away.

Good point, its a right we all have as citizens. But gaming the system still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I've started drinking a new black tea 'Bai Lin Gong Fu' and that definitely doesn't leave a bad taste. Shits delicious.

Sounds lush. I brought back some fancy teas (mostly green) from Japan, but I hardly drink them. Too much effort dealing with strainers and clearing the leaves from the teapot, so it's the lousy teabags mostly. Lazyness beats taste.

edit: damn you, poet. Because of you I've brewed one ft them fancy teas at 7 o'clock in the evening. It's a green tea with toasted rice for extra nutty flavour. It's a cereal and tea 2 in 1

The_Poet

Banned
^^
Sploatee,

Wasn't trying to get political, just thought people were getting a little carried away.

Sounds lush. I brought back some fancy teas (mostly green) from Japan, but I hardly drink them. Too much effort dealing with strainers and clearing the leaves from the teapot, so it's the lousy teabags mostly. Lazyness beats taste.

edit: damn you, poet. Because of you I've brewed one ft them fancy teas at 7 o'clock in the evening. It's a green tea with toasted rice for extra nutty flavour. It's a cereal and tea 2 in 1

Damn me? Sounds like Ive done you a favour! :p

Guys I think my PS3 is haunted, despite my Plus sub running out weeks ago it still turns on to look for updates. Not sure if it downloads any though.

Also, if you haven't, play Gravity Rush. It's fantastic, especially if like me you have a hard on for exploring (flying through) floating multi level sky cities with hobbled together buildings clinging to sheer drops. I'm now patiently awaiting the sequel.

scott-pilgrim-waiting-o.gif

NinjaBoiX

I woke up floorless - she has no floor, hence the void.

I woke up flawless - she's really hot and thus looks great first thing in the morning.

It's not very good like, but that's the gag.

DSN2K

so BritGAF, im bored and thinking of going to Amsterdam tomorrow, how much am I looking for such a random trip for a few days, I'd prefer flights to coaches.

The_Poet

Banned
Torygaf, what do you think of immigrants?

I only get a my opinions on immigrants from the daily mail.

There will soon be so many arriving on the shores of southern England that the whole country will flip under the weight of them all and Scotland will end up somewhere in the south of France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom