• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Friday ya lovely bunch of cunts!

What's everyone's plans for the weekend?

It's London Film and Comic Con at Earls Court so I'll be working all of Saturday and Sunday. If anyone's going I'll be at the T Pub Twisted Dark booth in the Comic Zone so pop on by and say hello!

The_Poet

Banned

It's London Film and Comic Con at Earls Court so I'll be working all of Saturday and Sunday. If anyone's going I'll be at the T Pub Twisted Dark booth in the Comic Zone so pop on by and say hello!

Ah, wish I could go! Last time I went to earls court it was for an internet security con for my old work, lamest thing ever .__. I did get a fetching pair of Norton anti virus socks though

I might venture down to Bournemouth beach if its sunny and I'm meeting a friend Saturday night. Pretty chill weekend tbh

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Continuing my rehab!

Tomorrow to the cinema to see the new Apes film, then tea at E's parents because her big brother is back from the USA. Sunday tattoos etc in the morning, take some glasses back to vision express then over to a friends to hang out and be amused by their crazy 4 year old. And see the fish we looked after. I miss them.

Oo ace! That sounds like loads of fun!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Knock knock

Who's there?

Ididup

>D

hahahahaha :D

Update on the inlaws, apparently they can survive on their new stipend, father-in-law had to pay some £10 grand in missed council tax apparently. tbh I have no idea what actually happened there, between his paranoid flair for the dramatic and Mrs Sniv's boundless empathy it's a bit hard to tell what is going on. I reckon they'll survive though.

edit: weekend is gig tonight (Winchester railway if anyone is local?? haha), dying tomorrow and then starting to film our first proper video on sunday. I have this half baked plan for it in my head, explained it to LL (who is actually a film maker herself) and now she's pushing me to get it done in the next month. I've a feeling it's going to be a lot more work than any of us are anticipating. Thankfully, she's doing the editing so really I'm just the 'director' I guess since she keeps looking to me for what to do. I dunno man, my last video was all animated gifs and datamoshing.

Is there a thread for UK housing/mortgages/renting etc.? Wondering if people would be interested in something like that. Discuss what we are paying etc.

Edit: Corrected the "what our paying" to "what we are paying".

Vashetti

Banned
I'll start, I pay £385 a month for my flat in Cardiff.

Has a living-room/bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom and a hall in-between all of them. There's no gas so don't pay for that, we don't get charged for water and electricity is on a meter that we pay for separately.

All decent sized rooms, though we could do with some storage areas. It gets quite cold in the winter so we have to buy gas bottles for our portable fire, and there's a slight mould issue on the ceilings too.

I'll start, I pay £385 a month for my flat in Cardiff.

Has a living-room/bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom and a hall in-between all of them. There's no gas so don't pay for that, we don't get charged for water and electricity is on a meter that we pay for separately.

All decent sized rooms, though we could do with some storage areas. It gets quite cold in the winter so we have to buy gas bottles for our portable fire, and there's a slight mould issue on the ceilings too.

<sigh> I miss Cardiff. I was paying £350/month for my one-bedroom flat over there, and it included council tax!

Now, just across the Severn it's £500/month for a smaller place, excluding council tax :-(

No mould though :)

£395 a month for my share of a student flat in Manchester. That includes heating, electricity, wi-fi, and Sky. Don't have to pay council tax.

Next year when we all go seperate ways I will try and get a one bedroom place with the missus.

Is there a thread for UK housing/mortgages/renting etc.? Wondering if people would be interested in something like that. Discuss what we are paying etc.
£595 for a mould-ridden studio flat in brighton. no bills included. £96 council rate per month. only recently had the option of fibre optic broadband.

in all seriousness brighton is lovely but really, really fucking expensive.

edit: today i am at work, tonight i shall be messing around with a new virtual instrument i bought (shreddage 2x if anyone is interested), tomorrow is my day off which i am sharing with my girlfriend so that is awesome. unfortunately i have to return to work for an hour to notetake a disciplinary, so yeah. other than that, laundry and orange is the new black.

NinjaBoiX

£500 for a 2 bed flat in Old Trafford, Manchester. Decent size bedrooms, spacious sitting room and a large paved outdoor area.

xCOiJ3k.jpg

Edit: Corrected the "what our paying" to "what we are paying".

£550, two double bedrooms, good size space, water included and plenty of storage space. Right in Sheffield city centre. Very happy with that. Last place I had was a two bed house with garden for about the same in Lincoln, and wasn't expecting to nearly match it interior-space wise.

NinjaBoiX

This band man, buzzing off them big time at the minute. Can't wait for the record:

Marmozets - Onemanwolfpack

There's a bit of that screaming/growling that usually rubs me up the wrong way, but she keeps it sporadic and actually just sings most of the time. Fuck if they aren't tight and energetic as hell. To quote Jed, "dynamic shifts up the wazoo".

Musha, here's a soundbite that could've been written for you personally:

"The most exciting young band in Britain" - Kerrang!

:p

7aged

No surprise, you guys got it cheap. No chance getting anything like that in London.

I'm seriously bored right now. Absolutely nothing to do this evening. urrrgh

Mr. Sam

Senna is indeed terrific - my favourite movie of... 2010? I think it was 2010.

However, I'll be watching End of Watch - my favourite movie of 2012.

Edit: Looking at what people are paying, I really need to get the fuck out of London.

NinjaBoiX

Raging bull is on right now on itv 4.
It's not very good.

Deniro is a bit shit in it, and it's in turms dull and overdramitic.

Pesic is of course mint as always
I watch that a while ago, its incredible just how disillusioned someone can be.

Or, if hes gaming the system, just how smart they can be
MBW us a crazy genius. Far play to him.

Swindles some fickle cunts of of dollar. Fuck Em.

NinjaBoiX

Urgh, may have overshared and generally been a bit of a tit on GAF and what'sapp last night guys. Me and Ross got so drunk man, he tried to give me a backer from The Nip and Tipple (sploatee would love that place, heh) and promptly crashed and nearly got ran over in the space of 10 metres. I decided to walk and catch him up at home! It's only 5 minutes.

Busy day today, got to head into Chorlton first thing to this superfly fishmonger and the butcher, then head into Deansgate and help Ross prep at Atlas for a few hours. Then handing out yet more CV's in Spinningfields before heading home for a few hours kip for my trial shift at Mint Lounge tonight.

I'm excited about it actually! Should be fun.
Ninj you're drunk go home
OK, my inebriated prose last night may not have told the whole story. I guess I mean it's not that good for a Scorsese flick. It's still a pretty good movie, but it's certainly got pacing issues and stuff and I really do think that it's in turns dull then overdramatic.

The boxing scenes, while handsomely shot, are laughably implausible:

"Stand completely motionless while I pummel the shit out of you. Right, now you do me."

And I know it's old, but man the punches look so lame and obviously miss by an absolute mile, and when the judge gets sprayed with a massive splat of blood, I genuinely laughed out loud. Ridiculous.

And I really do think Pesci acts De Niro off the screen, I didn't buy La Motta at all. It's easily his weakest performance. So I guess it's a great director and a great actor's worst movie. It's not terrible, just disappointing given the sum of it's parts.
Seriously. He's a lovely guy but a completely daft cunt at times.
Aww mate, warm and fuzzies over here.

:D
I pay £350 for a 4 bedroom semi detached house 2 miles outside Glasgow city centre.
Jesus, who are you sleeping with to get that deal?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
OK, my inebriated prose last night may not have told the whole story. I guess I mean it's not that good for a Scorsese flick. It's still a pretty good movie, but it's certainly got pacing issues and stuff and I really do think that it's in turns dull then overdramatic.

"Stand completely motionless while I pummel the shit out of you. Right, now you do me."

And I know it's old, but man the punches look so lame and obviously miss by an absolute mile, and when the judge gets sprayed with a massive splat of blood, I genuinely laughed out loud. Ridiculous.

And I really do think Pesci acts De Niro off the screen, I didn't buy La Motta at all. It's easily his weakest performance. So I guess it's a great director and a great actor's worst movie. It's not terrible, just disappointing given the sum of it's parts.

It's all worth it for that one dolly zoom though, that's one of the best shots in all of cinema. I saw the movie this year for the first time, thought it was very good. A lot slower than most Scorsese films, but still very good. I wouldn't know good boxing if it bopped me on the nose though.

jimbor

Banned

What in the actual fuck? Have you not seen Wolf of Wall Street, Shutter Island or New York, New York? Meet the Fockers, Analyze This and That? Rocky and Bullwinkle?

NinjaBoiX

It's all worth it for that one dolly zoom though, that's one of the best shots in all of cinema. I saw the movie this year for the first time, thought it was very good. A lot slower than most Scorsese films, but still very good. I wouldn't know good boxing if it bopped me on the nose though.
It is gorgeously shot I can't deny that.

But as for the boxing, I'm far from an expert, but most of the fights were just laughably choreographed. In fact, that's probably an insult to the art of choreography. There was no to and fro, very little in terms of ducking and dodging, just two dudes taking turns to punch fuck out of each other as if training with a dummy.
What in the actual fuck? Have you not seen Wolf of Wall Street, Shutter Island or New York, New York? Meet the Fockers, Analyze This and That? Rocky and Bullwinkle?
I've only seen Shutter Island out of those.

I love Scorsese flicks in the main, but I'm not really a De Niro fan. I find him vastly overrated. Yeah, he's incredibly charismatic and brimming with intensity, but I rarely find him particularly believable.

*shrugs*

He's fantastic in This Boy's Life though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom