• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbor

Banned
send a reply

"Bitch,
2 options:

1 - Move house
2 - shove a hand blender up your slut-widened chuff and keep pushing it in until it's deep enough to scramble the tiny brain in your head

Love from
Ninja & Ross"

No need for the slut mane. Cunt is the chosen word round these parts.

Lucky you! E has a grudge against Rayman so we only get to co-op Lego games.

Yup, played loads of the Alpha. It was fantastic and I know I'm going to love the full game, so in two minds about spending too much time in the Beta, especially as all the grinding won't carry over to the full game (probably). I bet I completely change my tune once it's out though!

I don't like to admit this too much, but she is so much better at platformers of any kind than me it's scary.

No I can see your logic on not wanting to go too crazy with Destiny this time, it's not far off after all!

8bit

Knows the Score
"It's too awkward with you working so close to me, I think you should find somewhere else to work from."

Reply > Unsubscribe.

Or in more words, "Our relationship is over. If you have a problem with my chosen workplace either move or black out your windows."

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hi folks. Been kind of busy, being as it is summer and all that (also doing important stuff like protesting at the council offices tomorrow).

Anyway, I am suffering technology shock.

Got away spoofing it for years being as I've been doing computers since about 1974, and windows/mice etc since the first Macintosh. So fairly tech-savvie for an oldie.

But my daughter got me an iPad as an early birthday present, and it is proving a bit bloody hard to get my head around how it works (fuckin' Apple junkies: "it's all completely intuitive" - er, no it isn't).

It's NOT just like writing (because I get a problem with a trailing little finger), it's NOT just like guessing (who would guess you press the little button twice and swipe upwards to close something down - NOBODY, that's who).

Besides it irritates me greatly - well no, much more than greatly, that they don't have the courtesy to include the 70-page manual with the device but they DO have the absolute gall to include the 70-page terms and conditions - and make you say (falsely) that you agree to them. Why don't they do the same with the manual huh? Because they want to look cool, that's why.

(EDIT: That might - just might - make the bones of a decent defence if you're ever in court versus Apple over something in the Ts&Cs)

I shall probably be an Apple junkie myself in about 4 days the way it is going. But I need to post this anyway to remind myself what it felt like when it comes my turn to indoctrinate somebody.

Meanwhile, any good tips or (genuinely) cool apps for an iPad newbie?

NinjaBoiX

Yup, I'm with you guys. She's being a bellend, and she needs to go and give her head a shake.

The really annoying thing is, we've had a tough week or so with moving in, kitting the flat out, cashflow and whatnot. But this last few days, we've come out the other side and things were absolutely buzzing. Business is booming, money isn't an issue anymore, the flat is sorted, we were right.

Now this childish bullshit. She's really fucking things up, selfish arsehole.

Anyway, vent over, just needed to air my laundry with my peeps. It's all good.

pewpew.gif

Apple hating blurb

To be fair, when you've used an iPhone or iPad for a while then of course it makes sense, it's intuitive, etc etc. but I think most of us do forget what it was like the very first time when we had to blindly figure it out.

I don't use an iPad much myself, just borrow Andy's every now and then to order take away. But I did learn some cool stuff not so long ago on my iPhone, like in camera mode you can use the volume button to take the picture.

Fake edit: I found this for you, might be helpful

http://ipad.appstorm.net/roundups/utilities-roundups/40-super-secret-ipad-features-and-shortcuts/

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
To be fair, when you've used an iPhone or iPad for a while then of course it makes sense, it's intuitive, etc etc. but I think most of us do forget what it was like the very first time when we had to blindly figure it out.

I don't use an iPad much myself, just borrow Andy's every now and then to order take away. But I did learn some cool stuff not so long ago on my iPhone, like in camera mode you can use the volume button to take the picture.

Fake edit: I found this for you, might be helpful

http://ipad.appstorm.net/roundups/utilities-roundups/40-super-secret-ipad-features-and-shortcuts/

Ah, now, that's exactly the sort if thing that I needed! Thanks Musha.

EDIT: Paper 53 is a definitely cool app.

BTW, it wasn't exactly Apple-hating blurb - more the assumption that (a) I couldn't be bothered to read a manual and (b) I could be bothered to read interminable T&Cs that irritated me!

Ta muchly. I shall be a zealot shortly.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I don't like to admit this too much, but she is so much better at platformers of any kind than me it's scary.

No I can see your logic on not wanting to go too crazy with Destiny this time, it's not far off after all!

Actually, sod it. I probably will play it :D

Reply > Unsubscribe.

Or in more words, "Our relationship is over. If you have a problem with my chosen workplace either move or black out your windows."

This. She has no right to say this anymore.

Hi folks. Been kind of busy, being as it is summer and all that (also doing important stuff like protesting at the council offices tomorrow).

Anyway, I am suffering technology shock.

Got away spoofing it for years being as I've been doing computers since about 1974, and windows/mice etc since the first Macintosh. So fairly tech-savvie for an oldie.

But my daughter got me an iPad as an early birthday present, and it is proving a bit bloody hard to get my head around how it works (fuckin' Apple junkies: "it's all completely intuitive" - er, no it isn't).

It's NOT just like writing (because I get a problem with a trailing little finger), it's NOT just like guessing (who would guess you press the little button twice and swipe upwards to close something down - NOBODY, that's who).

Besides it irritates me greatly - well no, much more than greatly, that they don't have the courtesy to include the 70-page manual with the device but they DO have the absolute gall to include the 70-page terms and conditions - and make you say (falsely) that you agree to them. Why don't they do the same with the manual huh? Because they want to look cool, that's why.

(EDIT: That might - just might - make the bones of a decent defence if you're ever in court versus Apple over something in the Ts&Cs)

I shall probably be an Apple junkie myself in about 4 days the way it is going. But I need to post this anyway to remind myself what it felt like when it comes my turn to indoctrinate somebody.

Meanwhile, any good tips or (genuinely) cool apps for an iPad newbie?

You will get there. I believe in you!

I'm not sure what your gaming tastes are, but it's a great device for card / board / strategy games. I lost lots of time to Carcasonne, Hearthstone and Civilization Revolution.

The_Poet

Banned
Yup, I'm with you guys. She's being a bellend, and she needs to go and give her head a shake.

The really annoying thing is, we've had a tough week or so with moving in, kitting the flat out, cashflow and whatnot. But this last few days, we've come out the other side and things were absolutely buzzing. Business is booming, money isn't an issue anymore, the flat is sorted, we were right.

Yeh ignore her man, glad its all goin well!

NinjaBoiX

I have a Nexus 7 and my mother has an iPad Mini.

Android > iOS it has to be said.
Having used both, I'd say iOS is slicker, less prone to crashing and easier to use, but Android is just a far more capable, flexible and powerful OS.

Also, fuck Apple with their overpriced devices, shit batteries and overbearing ecosystem.

I wouldn't go back, even though I can appreciate the advantages.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Hmm watched an episode of the Mindy Project. It has got me intrigued.

It is really good; Mindy Kaling is brilliant, the 'next' Tina Fey in my opinion. Very underrated. It is well known by those in the know that she was the best writer on The Office and this translates over to her show.

Having used both, I'd say iOS is slicker, less prone to crashing and easier to use, but Android is just a far more capable, flexible and powerful OS.

Also, fuck Apple with their overpriced devices, shit batteries and overbearing ecosystem.

I wouldn't go back, even though I can appreciate the advantages.

Well iOS will always be less prone to crashing compared to Android, as there's a smaller variety of hardware to support, no handset makers creating their own spin off versions of the OS (i.e. a unified design approach and philosophy, which leads to the 'slicker' aspect), only one version of iOS on the majority of handsets, I imagine tighter restrictions how apps are coded and moderated post release, and there's a lot less you can tinker and personalise on an iphone that could lead to problems.

With Apple products if you love the approach they offer then you'll love the product. If you want to stray from the garden path, then good luck unless you jailbreak it.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
iOS > Android for me. Although it could be because my phone is horrendous.

Good morning barophobics!

It'll be ok, gravity won't kill you!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

pewpew.gif

Glad shit is working out for you, Ninj (minus your brother's distraught Ex). Don't let the swine grind you down!

NinjaBoiX

iOS > Android for me. Although it could be because my phone is horrendous.
Both OS's def have their advantages.

If you don't expect much from your phone, iOS will do the simple stuff better than Android IMO, but you can do a lot more with Android.

But the main issue for me is the device itself. iPhone's are pretty and well made, but they're too small and the battery is pants. I much prefer my Z1 Compact, and it looks fly as fuck with the red cover I have on it.
Glad shit is working out for you, Ninj (minus your brother's distraught Ex). Don't let the swine grind you down!
It's OK boss, me and the bro sat and got pissed last night and had a good moan about the crazy ladies in our life, got it all out in the open!

After a good kip we're back on it, heading to the market now to get some stock then cooking up a storm all day.

Life is good breh, gotta keep smiling innit!

:D

Have a good one peeps.

day trippin' to the proverbial home of ringo starscream, john lenin, george best and paul mchogan (better known as the monkees); manchesteringtonville.
are there any customs i should be aware of? any handshakes you use to indicate you're 'local'? i need to adapt quickly.

The_Poet

Banned
day trippin' to the proverbial home of ringo starscream, john lenin, george best and paul mchogan (better known as the monkees); manchesteringtonville.
are there any customs i should be aware of? any handshakes you use to indicate you're 'local'? i need to adapt quickly.

Are you a blue or a red.

Whichever you pick is going to be wrong

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Top up oyster card and receipt says to get a free Graze box.

Go on GAF and advert says get a free Graze box.

Bugger off Graze. Stop haunting me today!

The_Poet

Banned
Top up oyster card and receipt says to get a free Graze box.

Go on GAF and advert says get a free Graze box.

Bugger off Graze. Stop haunting me today!

Everytime I go to get a 'free' graze box its just the like the first one free if you sign up for 6 months.

Thieving bastards

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

You say thanks when somebody helps you with advice on Oxford Road.

:mad:

8bit

Knows the Score
Watch_Dogs no good? I'm thinking about picking it up instead of Wolfenstein :(

It's kind of bland. It's got some compelling activities, but the game goes out of the way to stop you from advancing in a mission by alerting you to a nearby crime in progress and keeps doing this so you end up lost. The music is roundly awful and the characters are dicks. It's just not much fun unless you love just dossing about in a sandbox.

Wolfenstein has a great story underlying it as well as being fun. IMO.

The_Poet

Banned
The only redeeming factor about Watch_Dogs (or so I've heard) is the multiplayer. I really like the idea of a guy invading your world which looks like an NPC trying to complete an objective against you. Sounds tense

8bit

Knows the Score
The only redeeming factor about Watch_Dogs (or so I've heard) is the multiplayer. I really like the idea of a guy invading your world which looks like an NPC trying to complete an objective against you. Sounds tense

From my experience it's not, human players cannot move like NPCs. Not quite at the level of bouncy soldiers but they're too twitchy and erratic. I had to turn off invasions after a few.

SKINNER!

Banned
It's dire.

this was always going to be the wrong choice even if by some miracle watch_dogs didn't end up an ubisoft openworld game.

It's kind of bland. It's got some compelling activities, but the game goes out of the way to stop you from advancing in a mission by alerting you to a nearby crime in progress and keeps doing this so you end up lost. The music is roundly awful and the characters are dicks. It's just not much fun unless you love just dossing about in a sandbox.

Wolfenstein has a great story underlying it as well as being fun. IMO.

Damn, might pick up Watch_Dogs on the cheap then at some point if it's not worth full price. Loved the previews and thought it would be a really cool cyberpunk hacky kinda game but sounds like it's just Assassins Creed set in another universe....not that I don't like Assassins Creed but I thought it would be special.

Will check out Wolfenstein. Really didn't appeal to me because it's an FPS but if the story is captivating then I might give it a go :)

Woo, managed to get a copy of Uncharted on the Vita for under a tenner. Now to just find a cheap copy of Ground Zeroes for the PS4 so I can give the remote play a go (and prepare myself for Phantom Pain).

Also Glasgow-GAFfers, mini "last minute" meetup happening on Thursday. Mostly visiting Glasgow's rock bar/clubs since special London VIP guest (Musha) and I are into that cool shit. Come out, meet gaffers and have a laugh.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
OH SNAP
yeah, sorry about that. thank you sploats and ninj as well i think. cheers!

You're welcome :p

On Wolfenstein - I really wasn't expecting much but the two things it does really, really well are story (and this coming from a snob who thinks most game writing is at a GCSE level - it's got real, sympathetic characters who interact with each other as adults would and while there are the odd cheesy bits, they're done with a sense of humour and/or knowing charm) and just pure game 'feel ' it just feels fantastic to blast people, it's fluid and satisfying.

Ignore grammar pls!

The_Poet

Banned
Come
Come

On
On

Britgaf!

Where is everyone?

I'm here!

I left my earbuds at home so I'm rocking some £5 logitech headphones from the 90's that I found in the supply cupboard at work.

There isn't a song that they cant ruin with their tinny highs and non-existent bass

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm here!

I left my earbuds at home so I'm rocking some £5 logitech headphones from the 90's that I found in the supply cupboard at work.

There isn't a song that they cant ruin with their tinny highs and non-existent bass

Yay! I feel the same about mp3 music generally. I get home and put on a record and even with my fairly standard wireless headphones it just sounds better and more alive.

You should listen to some Lightning Seeds and Echobelly and make the journey complete!

in that Rihanna FIFA World Cup thread. Maaaaan, Pop-GAF are some salty crazy users.

I've heard of this subset of gaf but never encountered them. I will read later!

I'm having a good day today. A proper client meeting with real commercial bizness talk and then an afternoon of actual lawyering with all of the legislation in front of me. Chunky and satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom