• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
This lunch hour I killed a bunch of athenians and stole their life energy, ripped apart lots of monsters with my bare hands and called a man on a bridge a coward.

HURRRUUUAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHH ME SMASH ALL YOUR HEADS

SKINNER!

Banned
This lunch hour I killed a bunch of athenians and stole their life energy, ripped apart lots of monsters with my bare hands and called a man on a bridge a coward.

u5jE3J6.gif

SmokyDave

Yup, sounds about right.

I fucking love the GoW games. Unashamedly full of sex, violence and unbridled anger. Probably one of my favourite franchises in gaming.

I can't imagine we'll see another in the same vein though, not in a post-Sarkeesian / Polygon world. At the very least they'll need to lose the sex and after the whiny reaction to Helios getting his shit wrecked in the third game, I wonder if they'll tone down the violence too.

GoW: Ascension should have been on Vita.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yup, sounds about right.

I fucking love the GoW games. Unashamedly full of sex, violence and unbridled anger. Probably one of my favourite franchises in gaming.

I can't imagine we'll see another in the same vein though, not in a post-Sarkeesian / Polygon world. At the very least they'll need to lose the sex and after the whiny reaction to Helios getting his shit wrecked in the third game, I wonder if they'll tone down the violence too.

GoW: Ascension should have been on Vita.
Maybe you'll have to hope for something Japanese since the media tends to ignore them and the Japanese developers in turn ignore them back. They wouldn't be making more Senran Kagura games otherwise.

Koriandrr

@sploatee

Your avatar reminded me of my argument with a colleague the other day.
Someone decided to jump under the train (again), maybe you know, on Wimbledon. It took me 3 hours to get to work and there were people who were far worse.

Obviously quite frustrated I just keep thinking how these people jump there, in rush hour, on purpose, just to make everyone's day miserable with their last breath. Then my colleague said they don't do it on purpose, they just have a lot of issues and see the train coming and just do it without thinking twice.

I can see the argument and I can totally understand how this can happen and maybe he's right, but I still think and in most cases people plan this and just hate everything about this place and these people.

If you ever stand still in rush hour, on central line for example and have a good look around - I've seen people stepping on kids, older people trying to carry a large bag on the stairs, slowing down everybody and instead of helping them people just swear at them and push them, people passing out and no one even paying attention... this is the kind of thing London does to you over time, you eventually become one of these people, blind to what's around you and that's sad. I can see how someone with suicidal intents can just take this to the next level... or something. :p

SmokyDave

Maybe you'll have to hope for something Japanese since the media tends to ignore them and the Japanese developers in turn ignore them back. They wouldn't be making more Senran Kagura games otherwise.
I like Japanese games, but I can't imagine a Japanese dev nailing the raw anger in Kratos. Not in quite the same way, anyway. They're also increasingly finding themselves in the western spotlight of late.

You know, funny thing is, Senran Kagura (Vita) is actually a really cool arena brawler. It reminds me of Powerstone in many ways.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
@sploatee

Someone decided to jump under the train (again), maybe you know, on Wimbledon. It took me 3 hours to get to work and there were people who were far worse.

Obviously quite frustrated I just keep thinking how these people jump there, in rush hour, on purpose, just to make everyone's day miserable with their last breath. Then my colleague said they don't do it on purpose, they just have a lot of issues and see the train coming and just do it without thinking twice.

I can see the argument and I can totally understand how this can happen and maybe he's right, but I still think and in most cases people plan this and just hate everything about this place and these people.

If you ever stand still in rush hour, on central line for example and have a good look around - I've seen people stepping on kids, older people trying to carry a large bag on the stairs, slowing down everybody and instead of helping them people just swear at them and push them, people passing out and no one even paying attention... this is the kind of thing London does to you over time, you eventually become one of these people, blind to what's around you and that's sad. I can see how someone with suicidal intents can just take this to the next level... or something. :p

Heh. That's why I live in Manchester! Come at me Londoners!

Seriously though, I don't think it gets more British than people's reaction when it happens. Instead of shock/ sympathy people always seem to tut or sigh. I think the feeling is very much "go ahead and kill yourself but don't bloody mess up my 8.13 to work. "

I never know how to feel tbh. It's such a modern experience. Travelling on public transport makes me feel like an alien anyway so I'm usually just on my own little planet.

I do like London and could live there one day but it's a tough city for sure.

NinjaBoiX

Welcome to our clubhouse new person! There is no secret knock, just make sure to wipe your feet when you enter and don't piss on the toilet seat.

Tool and GoT is a very good start in here. You'll do just fine.

:D

jimbor

Banned
@sploatee

As much hatred as he gets, I think David Foster Wallace summed it up quite well, at least relating to my experiences.

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

The main manager where I worked swanned off for over four hours to a meeting, leaving what was already a skeleton crew to struggle even more. Fuck retail man. Two weeks and I'm done with this incompetent company!

Anyway, persuade me to play the Destiny beta, the lovely weather has meant I've played the intro mission and nothing more! How long do I have left to play it?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
To be fair, most threads seem to go to shit quickly. Gaming attracts bams trying to make names for themselves and/or attract tags.

Anyway. Interview multiball for me this week, two interviews yesterday, one with HR and videoconf with people in US, then a local multipanel one today and a exploratory phone call for another role in the same company followed by discussion with the business partners tomorrow. At least by the weekend I'll be ready for holidays starting on Monday or dead.

PS god speed!! It all sounds very exciting...

8bit

Knows the Score
PS god speed!! It all sounds very exciting...

You know, I've never had to wheeze my way through a phone interview while struggling up the hill to my home in a heavy suit and 30° heat before.

"So, Mr. 8bit, what attracts you to Technical Regulatory Document Management Operations?"

"Well. *gasps* There's the Technical. *gasps* And the Regulatory. *gasps* *wheezes* Documents *gasps* *sweats out 1 kilo* and, uh operations."

*collapses in front of home*

"Very good, we'll contact you next week for an interview!"

--

The Commonwealth Games are going to be really Scottish cringy, which is a shame as Glasgow is an amazing city. Missing it right now.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You know, I've never had to wheeze my way through a phone interview while struggling up the hill to my home in a heavy suit and 30° heat before.

"So, Mr. 8bit, what attracts you to Technical Regulatory Document Management Operations?"

"Well. *gasps* There's the Technical. *gasps* And the Regulatory. *gasps* *wheezes* Documents *gasps* *sweats out 1 kilo* and, uh operations."

*collapses in front of home*

"Very good, we'll contact you next week for an interview!"

--

The Commonwealth Games are going to be really Scottish cringy, which is a shame as Glasgow is an amazing city. Missing it right now.

Haha! Summer is not the season for corporate manoeuvres.

I despise summer. I can't wait for it to be over.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Netball, and I'm ill-suited to shooting.

I have no desire to play netball, and I'm pretty handy with a shotgun.

I defy you, test.

Well, the test gave me table-tennis. That's probably what I'm best at anyway.

But hey, netball is a cracking game (I used to play Centre).

No but can I be in it anyway?

What's it about

Well there's this horrific gang rape scene, if you're interested?

Nah, I dunno, there's a few options at the moment. I'm trying to decide how much CG to load myself with, because it takes so damn long to get looking good. But at the same time, expands pretty significantly what it can be about (on basically 0 budget, since I'd be doing it all).

My brother and I have been writing a screenplay about this incompetent Sunday league football team full of colourful characters which I think is genuinely hilarious but I don't think it can really be condensed into, like, a 6 minute short film.

Edit: Thanks, all! I'll have my casting director call you all separately.

jimbor

Banned
Well there's this horrific gang rape scene, if you're interested?

Nah, I dunno, there's a few options at the moment. I'm trying to decide how much CG to load myself with, because it takes so damn long to get looking good. But at the same time, expands pretty significantly what it can be about (on basically 0 budget, since I'd be doing it all).

My brother and I have been writing a screenplay about this incompetent Sunday league football team full of colourful characters which I think is genuinely hilarious but I don't think it can really be condensed into, like, a 6 minute short film.

Edit: Thanks, all! I'll have my casting director call you all separately.

If you need deadpan monotone, I'm your man.

As a fellow film maker (albeit a student) I hope your project goes well for you :D

Thanks! Are you at film school or a production course or what?

I did animation at university where I made a few short films but that's not what I want here - this'll be live action. I work for a company with "Film" in its name, we basically just make short films so I'm very familiar with it. It also means I can boost their gear at the weekends - lights, a Red Epic, a ton of lenses etc. So if this project doesn't get made, it's purely my fault.

Son Of D

Thanks! Are you at film school or a production course or what?

I did animation at university where I made a few short films but that's not what I want here - this'll be live action. I work for a company with "Film" in its name, we basically just make short films so I'm very familiar with it. It also means I can boost their gear at the weekends - lights, a Red Epic, a ton of lenses etc. So if this project doesn't get made, it's purely my fault.

I realised I missed the word future in there :p. I'll be heading to London Southbank this September to start a 3 year course there in Digital Film and Video. My preferences is montage and music video based, but I'm open to all forms of live action. Tried animation in the past but it wasn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom