• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it just? I don't understand what Peter Jackson is going for with those films. If it's meant to be a light spin on the Lord of the Rings films, then why is it going to be a total of around 9 hours long? Why have dark moments? If it's going to be a full epic, how can you do that with such thin source material? Is it meant to be a kids' film? It doesn't feel like a kids film to me, just like an amateur take on the original Lord of the Rings trilogy. I really don't get it.
the man really needs an editor/producer that can say no to him.

NinjaBoiX

Heard this on the radio yesterday for the first time in donkey's years. Become slightly obsessed with it again, that bassline is juicy junior, real juicy:

Tori Amos - Professional Widow (Armand Van Helden remix)

BYnRAMB.jpg

Even Tolkien was told no when he tried to fuck up the hobbit (to make it more like LotR like Jackson is doing!)

The guy is probably still living in the shadow of his previous success with LotR
he made stupidly successful films that played a huge part in shaping the current social entertainment climate, so i know why he is given carte blanche, but still it rarely ever works well. lucas, scorsese, the beatles, all can run amok given a lack of restraint.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
he made stupidly successful films that played a huge part in shaping the current social entertainment climate, so i know why he is given carte blanche, but still it rarely ever works well. lucas, scorsese, the beatles, all can run amok given a lack of restraint.

Lucas definitely. I hope he is made subject to a restraining order which will prevent him from being involved with any of the new films.

The Beatles? which albums are you thinking of?

Scorsese? Which films are you thinking of? I think he's an interesting one because excess is so much a part of his approach.

Lucas definitely. I hope he is made subject to a restraining order which will prevent him from being involved with any of the new films.

The Beatles? which albums are you thinking of?

Scorsese? Which films are you thinking of? I think he's an interesting one because excess is so much a part of his approach.

white album, very very few artists have double albums in them in my opinion, the beatles included.

scoresese? i think the wolf of wall street and gangs of new york could be trimmed, tightened up a bit. he isn't too bad really, i am sure i can think of better examples when i get my grumpy film critic hat on.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Don't you just love when you take it down a notch and put the classics on. It's what its all about. All these new tunes will come and go, we will love and move on but the classics will remain.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
white album, very very few artists have double albums in them in my opinion, the beatles included.

scoresese? i think the wolf of wall street and gangs of new york could be trimmed, tightened up a bit. he isn't too bad really, i am sure i can think of better examples when i get my grumpy film critic hat on.

I agree.

Scorsese's films aren't really to my taste but I thought Wolf was an amazing 90 minute comedy drawn out beyond belief.

I can think of so many films and albums which could stand to have a good chunk cut out.

The Dark Knight's third act is bloated.

Almost every Nine Inch Nails album could lose a quarter to a third of its tracks.

Minority Report and AI both need to lose half an hour.

Aliens normal version is better than the special edition.

No single albums should be longer than 45 minutes imo. Save it!

Okay, so I've just had one of my most surreal/downright weird experiences to date.
I was out having a couple of beverages down town when I went for a slash. I walk into the toilets, there are three urinals, all occupied. One guy turns to the guy in the middle, looks down and is all "YOU'VE GOT A FULL ON SEMI GOING ON!". Then the guy on the other side turns round and is all "YEAH, THERES SOME FUCKING BLOOD IN THAT LIKE". Then they both grabbed the dude in the middles penis. Then one of them turns around, makes direct eye contact with me and shouts "HAVE A FUCKIN' SQUEEZE OF THAT, MATE".
I just wanted to run and hide. So damn weird.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Lords and ladies, barons and baronesses. The almighty GAF King, BGBW, hath don crowneth me as the new Archduke of NeoGAF. So come forth and kiss the jewel encrusted ring of the giant, 14kt gold fat ass.

Okay, so I've just had one of my most surreal/downright weird experiences to date.
I was out having a couple of beverages down town when I went for a slash. I walk into the toilets, there are three urinals, all occupied. One guy turns to the guy in the middle, looks down and is all "YOU'VE GOT A FULL ON SEMI GOING ON!". Then the guy on the other side turns round and is all "YEAH, THERES SOME FUCKING BLOOD IN THAT LIKE". Then they both grabbed the dude in the middles penis. Then one of them turns around, makes direct eye contact with me and shouts "HAVE A FUCKIN' SQUEEZE OF THAT, MATE".

Very good story. If I were you I'd have gone over and given it a good squeeze though.

Hahaha. I had a guy come in to the blokes last night after me, and go for a piss in the actual toilet. Then he very kindly moved over and offered the other half of the bowl for someone else to use to cut down the queue waiting. Very kind tbh. As he told everyone, "it's not scary lad come on, it's gay pride night lad!".

I've never fallen over on a night out, but last night was different. My shoe connected with the edge of a cobble, and to put it lightly I flew. During the seemingly 10 second slow-mo flight, I'm sure my body hovered for a time parallel to the ground. Hell I felt like I was in Guardians of the Galaxy leaping from an explosion. Then my arms whacked the ground, and reality reformed around me. Queue a bunch of lads rightly pissing themselves laughing.

Volotaire

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I will now be busily eating crow for the rest of the day. Absolutely fantastic (although a bit too much CGI for my liking). It just... worked.

SKINNER!

Banned

Sounds like a typical experience in any nightclub in Glasgow to me. Probably already mentioned this but had a guy at the urinals in the Oran Mor, convinced I was some twat from Only way is Essex or Made in Chelsea, bothering me while I was taking a piss.

Very good story. If I were you I'd have gone over and given it a good squeeze though.

Ahaha, I guess that would have made my night that little bit stranger if I had.

Hahaha. I had a guy come in to the blokes last night after me, and go for a piss in the actual toilet. Then he very kindly moved over and offered the other half of the bowl for someone else to use to cut down the queue waiting. Very kind tbh. As he told everyone, "it's not scary lad come on, it's gay pride night lad!".

I've never fallen over on a night out, but last night was different. My shoe connected with the edge of a cobble, and to put it lightly I flew. During the seemingly 10 second slow-mo flight, I'm sure my body hovered for a time parallel to the ground. Hell I felt like I was in Guardians of the Galaxy leaping from an explosion. Then my arms whacked the ground, and reality reformed around me. Queue a bunch of lads rightly pissing themselves laughing.

That's easily the best description of falling over I've ever read.

Sounds like a typical experience in any nightclub in Glasgow to me. Probably already mentioned this but had a guy at the urinals in the Oran Mor, convinced I was some twat from Only way is Essex or Made in Chelsea, bothering me while I was taking a piss.

Lmao, I feel your pain on that one. I can't go out without at least one person saying I look like Ed Shearan, Ron Weasely, or some other famous ginger person/character.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well...not really. I just like to kid around.

Don't be a...rectangle?

But seriously, in this day and age of geek properties becoming big businesses, isn't it now hip to be square?

I just kinda wish that those properties had something to say beyond being simply showpieces.

I think it depends how square. If you have bad hygiene it will be tough to be hip regardless of your square-ness. Clean teeth are essential for success.

NinjaBoiX

Well...not really. I just like to kid around.

Don't be a...rectangle?
That has always bothered me slightly, especially with Quentin's usual meticulous eye for detail.

But he's always been totes...

BrDzZNF.jpg

...for Uma, so he probably saw a big love heart or some shit anyway.

Son Of D

Dudes, the Last of Us is as good as people say.

I'm aware that you haven't played the PS3 version but would you say I should just wait until I get a PS4 to play it? Based on what you've played could you imagine playing it at the frame rate and resolution that the PS3 version has (and whatever other differences there are)?

In fact this can be an open question to anyone who's played it on PS3 and/or PS4.

it's an overrated game that is the citizen kane of the 'films are movies now' movement

it's still pretty good though

Yep. I thought it was "eh, it's alright, nothing wrong with it" and I get shit on every time I say that.
And that'll probably happen again

Worth playing to see what the hype's about because it's one of those games you kind of need to play to form your own opinion on it. Perfectly fine on PS3 imo, so if it's not too expensive and you want to play it then I don't see why not.

afoni

Banned
it's one of very few games that has elicited an emotional reaction out of me, but that's because it's using that cinema ethos to do it

it starts off brilliantly as a cinematic experience, follows on averagely as a game experience, and the entire second half of the game is just damn good all round apart from like, one bit

all this 'game of the generation' bullshit just goes to show what kind of people frequent gaf

Nerdkiller

Membeur
it's one of very few games that has elicited an emotional reaction out of me, but that's because it's using that cinema ethos to do it

it starts off brilliantly as a cinematic experience, follows on averagely as a game experience, and the entire second half of the game is just damn good all round apart from like, one bit

all this 'game of the generation' bullshit just goes to show what kind of people frequent gaf
Yeah, it's really bothersome how high of a pedestal people seemed to put the game on. I wasn't impressed by anything before the game released. Yes, even that E3 gameplay demo they showed some 2 odd years ago. I'll probably get around to it eventually and it'll probably be good, but I don't think it'll be this revolution in gaming that some people seem to think it is.

afoni

Banned
the only game from last gen that is going to shake up the current generation of videogames is dark souls

dark souls and its influence is doing good shit for videogames, whereas the last of us is doing fucking nothing apart from wanking itself off

the last of us brought nothing new to the table whereas dark souls brought so much and created a new type of multiplayer environment that is now going to eternally be synonymous with dark souls

dark souls isn't even my game of the generation

dark souls is mad fucking important though

jimbor

Banned
Two things:

Donors, make sure your family know as they can overrule the card.

Anybody suggesting Wolf of Wall Street is anything other than a steaming turd is objectively wrong.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm aware that you haven't played the PS3 version but would you say I should just wait until I get a PS4 to play it? Based on what you've played could you imagine playing it at the frame rate and resolution that the PS3 version has (and whatever other differences there are)?

In fact this can be an open question to anyone who's played it on PS3 and/or PS4.

I guess it depends how much it all matters to you. There's a 30fps option and I tried it but it seemed pointless when I could play at 60fps. I don't think it will have an impact on the game itself though, you'd probably get used to it after about 10 minutes whichever framerate you have. It does look very purdy though.

it's an overrated game that is the citizen kane of the 'films are movies now' movement

it's still pretty good though

Maybe. I'll wait until I've finished it but as far as yer 3rd-person linear action adventure type games go I can't see anything it's done wrong yet. I don't know if it's the 'game of all time' yadda yadda yadda - to put it into perspective I also got Rogue Legacy this weekend and Rogue Legacy is more addictive - but for its genre TLOU has been pretty stellar so far. I'm playing on Hard difficulty though - I don't know if that makes it more engrossing but I've died 71 bloody times so far. Just so you know, I'm still in Summer.
Just got out of some sewers and now trying not to be killed by a sniper.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why would you choose a 30FPS option if it plays well in 60FPS? Sounds so pointless. Maybe the person who put that in used to work at Titus and implemented the 20% screen ratio in Superman 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom