• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbor

Banned
Phew, got there and they said it was for tomorrow!

I got the day wrong. All that worrying for nothing
LLShC.gif

Glorious.

Reknoc

I agree about the clickers. They really add tension. The other two gameplay elements that have impressed me are the pacing (oh lawd, quiet bits!) and just how visceral the combat is. I've only played Uncharted on the Vita so I'm not sure how it compares, but threat of sudden death makes everything very frantic - it really creates such a tense atmosphere.

The two things I'm not that impressed with so far are some of the human AI (although it might be better on survivor or grounded difficulty) - in that allies often seem to be a bit dumb and enemies seem to like running madly in circles. The other is that I think there's a bit too much shootybang in some of the set pieces. For a game that works so hard at sustaining quasi-realism, it's a bit jarring to
suddenly be shooting 50 odd guys with an unlimited ammo sniper rifle (even if it is cathartic).

Looking forward to the multiplayer. A friend just picked up a Ps4 so we might sink some time into it before Diablo comes out. Will it spoil the single player story? I've done a good job of avoiding spoilers so I don't want to ruin it for myself.

good thing you posted this safely in the confines of this thread so you can avoid the dogpile of gafs TLOU cult that'll dogpile on you and quote metacritic's score and the games goty awards, at the slightest negative remark about the game. They will also insist MP doesn't matter.

It's a great MP mode though, doesn't really spoil anything afaik, maybe some locations? but it does have it's own little story which I thought was really cool for MP.

The two things I'm not that impressed with so far are some of the human AI (although it might be better on survivor or grounded difficulty) - in that allies often seem to be a bit dumb and enemies seem to like running madly in circles. The other is that I think there's a bit too much shootybang in some of the set pieces. For a game that works so hard at sustaining quasi-realism, it's a bit jarring to
suddenly be shooting 50 odd guys with an unlimited ammo sniper rifle (even if it is cathartic).

Looking forward to the multiplayer. A friend just picked up a Ps4 so we might sink some time into it before Diablo comes out. Will it spoil the single player story? I've done a good job of avoiding spoilers so I don't want to ruin it for myself.

The AI is one of the things that pissed me off, especially since the enemies were supposed to be really smart and would know if you had run out of ammo and would ambush you etc etc. In the final game they're morons and Ellie is just this invincible dead weight that reduces your immersion by hiding in plain sight of zombies and human enemies without ever being attacked.

Another moment like the one you mentioned there Sploat is the bit where
you're hanging upside down in a trap and have a revolver with unlimited ammo. It's like, "I only entered this room with two bullets but oh well it was dramatic

The multiplayer is essentially spoiler free. The maps are inspired by locations the game takes you to in the story so it's possible a setting could be spoiled but definitely no plot points.

afoni

Banned
tlou needed to stop trying to be a movie because the only thing people praise it for are the qualities that make it a movie like the story and the acting and the cinematic presentation

i hope a sequel rectifies this and naughty dog actually makes a game

tlou needed to stop trying to be a movie because the only thing people praise it for are the qualities that make it a movie like the story and the acting and the cinematic presentation

reported

Son Of D

Just found out where I'll be living in London come September. It'll be at Dante Road. Not too far from Elephant and Castle tube station so that and the University are in walking distance.

jimbor

Banned
Just found out where I'll be living in London come September. It'll be at Dante Road. Not too far from Elephant and Castle tube station so that and the University are in walking distance.

Not a million miles from me. The Elephant isn't anywhere near as rough as it used to be although yo still need to keep your wits about you. Just up the road from Vauxhall if you want to do the clubbing thing too.

Reknoc

wow i cant believe you would say that tlou is the most perfectest perfect gme in existence anbd is holdign not one but 2 95s on metacritic and an 88 for the dlc (proably reviewed by morons who cannot understand its brilliance and deserving of perfect scores)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Gone Home is GOAT GOTY GOTG you emotionless luddite. I bet you just play cod all day you giver of blowjobs to guns, you.

Gone Home is GOAT GOTY GOTG you emotionless luddite. I bet you just play cod all day you giver of blowjobs to guns, you.

Technically something has to be a game before it can be GOTY or GOTG, clickity click indie psychobabble doesn't count, you can speedrun it in less than 40 seconds, thankfully I cancelled my pre order before I ever dirtied my hands playing it, I mean, wtf, you can't even frag some charlies oscar mike??

Reknoc

I played gone home once, at first I thought it was neat, then it got dull, then it got good again, then it crashed and it had been ages since I saved it so I never touched it again.

Phew, got there and they said it was for tomorrow!

I got the day wrong. All that worrying for nothing
LLShC.gif

Haha. It's a funny story to tell people when they ask you about your first day in work.

Trust me, tomorrow will be HR videos, filling out forms, and a walk around the building, and maybe some actual work. Doddle.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"If a game is made in the west you may as well throw it in the bin" - The King of Japan

Wise words from a wise man.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Too covered up? The purest waifu shows no skin and is eternally virginal.

Get away from here with your impure thoughts.

Yeah, nothing creepy about that either.

I'm gonna develop a bomb which forces all Japanese game developers to stop with the creepy rubbish and get back to good old weird rubbish.

Naoto

You baka gaijin

That reminds me, I finally completed Persona 4 a few weeks ago. On my first ending
NANAKO FUCKING DIED FOR REAL. I couldn't believe it, I just sat there with a gobsmacked look on my face as the credits rolled. Fortunately I had plenty of saves so I could go back and get a better ending, but I was proper ;_;

That reminds me, I finally completed Persona 4 a few weeks ago. On my first ending
NANAKO FUCKING DIED FOR REAL. I couldn't believe it, I just sat there with a gobsmacked look on my face as the credits rolled. Fortunately I had plenty of saves so I could go back and get a better ending, but I was proper ;_;

Shit happened to me too. There's a specific bit where you have to go for the right dialogue options otherwise that happens. I was playing it in the car on the way down from Scotland when I got that ending, depressed the hell out of me.

I still haven't finished P4G. Think last time I played I was in the 3rd dungeon thing. I reckon I'm probably gonna start over.
Is it worth doing a load of jobs and joining clubs? I was just going to the other place all of the time instead.

afoni

Banned
I still haven't finished P4G. Think last time I played I was in the 3rd dungeon thing. I reckon I'm probably gonna start over.
Is it worth doing a load of jobs and joining clubs? I was just going to the other place all of the time instead.

it is 100% worth doing those things

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
OH GOD NO JRPG TALK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NEED PLAY CALL OB NUTY NOOOOOOOOOWWWW

Oh and Michael Ironside don't you dare take Phil Fish's name in vain.

Is there's one thing better than finding 2-dimensional love in a sophisticated slice-of-life Japanese role playing game, it's discussing it at length and basking in Sploatee's Japanophobic anguish.

Let us begin.

YK7olIW.gif

IMO the dungeons are the worst part of P4G. Join the basketball team and hang out with your bros in the Chinese restaurant.

afoni

Banned
Is there's one thing better than finding 2-dimensional love in a sophisticated slice-of-life Japanese role playing game, it's discussing it at length and basking in Sploatee's Japanophobic anguish.

Let us begin.

YK7olIW.gif

im actually listening to the opening of that anime the gif is sourced from right now

spooky

i think the context would probably drive sploat fucking insane though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom