• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Why would you choose a 30FPS option if it plays well in 60FPS? Sounds so pointless. Maybe the person who put that in used to work at Titus and implemented the 20% screen ratio in Superman 64.

It's something to do with shadows. These things MATTER, damn you!

Son Of D

I guess it depends how much it all matters to you. There's a 30fps option and I tried it but it seemed pointless when I could play at 60fps. I don't think it will have an impact on the game itself though, you'd probably get used to it after about 10 minutes whichever framerate you have. It does look very purdy though.

Think I'll wait until I get a PS4. That way I can have more PS4 games to play when I get one. Doing the same for Diablo and Wolfenstein.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When blocko from Sony basically said they'd consider porting lots of PS3 games to the PS4 it left me in a bit of a kafuddle since now I have to consider whether getting a PS3 to catchup on certain games is even worth it.

NinjaBoiX

mister ninjaboix, do you have prints of hayley for use in face-to-face conversation?
I dress up as Harry Williams on a weekend.

Pic:

q33t2vD.jpg

The Souls games put me off due to how unpolished they are.

Last of Us is fun, gorgeous and touching

0.02c
Truth talk.

I like Dark Souls, but it's kind of janky and too hard for its own good. (It just is, don't lie to yourself.)

TLoU is a stunning game, top 5 material for all the reasons Mike just said. Just an incredible achievement.

At multiple points during my playthrough I was gobsmacked/amazed/close to tears, at times a combination of all three.

NinjaBoiX

Admittedly I don't watch that many films, I'm not one for going out to the cinema and watching all the latest blockbusters and stuff, but Submarine is just a nigh on perfect movie to me, in the top three movies I've seen in the last few years, easily.

gnwYmYY.jpg

One of the best movies I've ever seen. Pretty much flawless. Not much else to say, everyone should see this. Everyone!

VcZH3b6.jpg

Just a staggering performance from Elizabeth Olson, she's incredible. It's a simple tale, but told really well. Plus bewbs.

VV6JnAx.jpg

I really, really love this; smart, funny, touching and beautifully shot. Alex Turner soundtrack too, win.

jimbor

Banned
Admittedly I don't watch that many films, I'm not one for going out to the cinema and watching all the latest blockbusters and stuff, but Submarine is just a nigh on perfect movie to me, in the top three movies I've seen in the last few years, easily.

gnwYmYY.jpg

One of the best movies I've ever seen. Pretty much flawless. Not much else to say, everyone should see this. Everyone!

VcZH3b6.jpg

Just a staggering performance from Elizabeth Olson, she's incredible. It's a simple tale, but told really well. Plus bewbs.

VV6JnAx.jpg

I really, really love this; smart, funny, touching and beautifully shot. Alex Turner soundtrack too, win.

Your opinion is wrong.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When blocko from Sony basically said they'd consider porting lots of PS3 games to the PS4 it left me in a bit of a kafuddle since now I have to consider whether getting a PS3 to catchup on certain games is even worth it.

a combination of remasters of the big exclusive titles, and PSNow (coming to Europe soonish?) might make actually buying a PS3 not great value for money.

SteveWD40

Not yet, I'm kinda burned out on HS at the mo. Any good?

Yeah, it's a nice change, the new board is cool (music and flavour text as well), the normal mode are a breeze so far, the class challenges are cool and the heroic mode can be pretty hard.

It's just a cool way of unlocking new cards really.

Vashetti

Banned
Start work at Co-op tomorrow. Wish me luck. My first (paid) job.

They asked me to wear black trousers but I don't have any right now, do you think black jeans will be okay for the first few days?

The_Poet

Banned

They asked me to wear black trousers but I don't have any right now, do you think black jeans will be okay for the first few days?

Probably not..... They might have a spare pair knocking around though

Also, Gratz!

Good luck man!

I lasted six months before I got bored of retail/began to loathe the general public/lost any sense of challenge in my lowly position in the food chain. Co-op by it's nature seems a little more warm by it's nature and history towards its employees though!

Next have black pants for £20, they've lasted me the entire year I've been in my current job.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Did they ask you to wear black jeans?

Vash, Jimbor is the asshole manager you might get if you tried to wear jeans.

"Strange. I could have sworn I said 'sweep the floor' not 'stand there with your thumb up your ass'."

Get some real black trousers. I've gotten away with jeans before when I worked retail after being there a few months, but if you're new they will eagle eye that shit in seconds. They are actively looking for any sign of fuck ups when you are new.

Vashetti

Banned

"Strange. I could have sworn I said 'sweep the floor' not 'stand there with your thumb up your ass'."

Get some real black trousers. I've gotten away with jeans before when I worked retail after being there a few months, but if you're new they will eagle eye that shit in seconds. They are actively looking for any sign of fuck ups when you are new.

Noted.

Thanks all for the advice, this is all new to me.

Oh hey Jackben.

Did your ban expire recently or have you just not been posting much?

cjp

R.E that donor card question I asked a few pages back; they send one out with your confirmation letter 2-3 weeks after signing up .

:)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So I'm 11 hours in to The Last of Us and it's pushing all the right buttons for me. Already quite emotionally involved with the story and characters. I think Yahtzee was right when he called it the gaming equivalent of Oscar bait but it's just so thoughtfully put together.

As a game qua game there might be better (even though it's solid) but as a whole it really is something special. I'm still grimacing after every close-range kill and E has had to ask me to shut up because I keep shouting in panic whenever anything intense happens. I'm tough like that.

So I'm 11 hours in to The Last of Us and it's pushing all the right buttons for me. Already quite emotionally involved with the story and characters. I think Yahtzee was right when he called it the gaming equivalent of Oscar bait but it's just so thoughtfully put together.

As a game qua game there might be better (even though it's solid) but as a whole it really is something special. I'm still grimacing after every close-range kill and E has had to ask me to shut up because I keep shouting in panic whenever anything intense happens. I'm tough like that.

There are things about the game that I respect; one bit kills from clickers was such a good decision from a design point of view for example. It raises the tension and forces you to treat those enemies as a legitimate threat, as opposed to a fight you can mess up so long as you have enough health kits.

Once you've finished the story have a go at the multiplayer, even though I sense that's perhaps not your thing. The multiplayer impressed me as well; the same limitations on ammo require you to play more intelligently if you only have four bullets for example.

Mikeside

I feel so bloody nervous. Not sure I can do this.

I felt like that before my first job which was also in retail.

There's nothing that will even possibly be beyond your abilities. It'll be easy but dull. Occasionally it'll be busy but it still won't be beyond your grasp. Enjoy it for a while (you probably will) until you start yearning fit more challenge

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
There are things about the game that I respect; one bit kills from clickers was such a good decision from a design point of view for example. It raises the tension and forces you to treat those enemies as a legitimate threat, as opposed to a fight you can mess up so long as you have enough health kits.

Once you've finished the story have a go at the multiplayer, even though I sense that's perhaps not your thing. The multiplayer impressed me as well; the same limitations on ammo require you to play more intelligently if you only have four bullets for example.

I agree about the clickers. They really add tension. The other two gameplay elements that have impressed me are the pacing (oh lawd, quiet bits!) and just how visceral the combat is. I've only played Uncharted on the Vita so I'm not sure how it compares, but threat of sudden death makes everything very frantic - it really creates such a tense atmosphere.

The two things I'm not that impressed with so far are some of the human AI (although it might be better on survivor or grounded difficulty) - in that allies often seem to be a bit dumb and enemies seem to like running madly in circles. The other is that I think there's a bit too much shootybang in some of the set pieces. For a game that works so hard at sustaining quasi-realism, it's a bit jarring to
suddenly be shooting 50 odd guys with an unlimited ammo sniper rifle (even if it is cathartic).

Looking forward to the multiplayer. A friend just picked up a Ps4 so we might sink some time into it before Diablo comes out. Will it spoil the single player story? I've done a good job of avoiding spoilers so I don't want to ruin it for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom