• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty much me when Persona talk comes up since I'm so clueless on the games.

94e4aab63ad23a71a5ab3d1.gif

Remedy: play one. Persona 3 FES is 8 quid on PS3.

It's damn good.

im actually listening to the opening of that anime the gif is sourced from right now

spooky

i think the context would probably drive sploat fucking insane though

lol I saved that gif ages ago and was waiting for an opportune moment. Didn't know the context.

Just looked it up. Incredible.

Sort of by accident I've eaten pork sausages for lunch and dinner for three days in a row. I'm enjoying myself, though I'm frightened I might become more pig than man.

But screw it I'm just gonna say it, I don't care if I'm banned.

Sausages are better than bacon.

They are the best. There is no better way to ingest dead pig than in sausage form. Granted, there are princes and paupers in the sausage world; a Cumberland is a lot fucking better than a Toulouse. But the best bacon in the world does not beat the best sausage, anyone who disagrees is objectively incorrect.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The other day I discovered that Americans don't know what bacon is. Apparently they only have one type of bacon so they don't consider all the other types of bacon bacon. Shocking and sad.

The other day I discovered that Americans don't know what bacon is. Apparently they only have one type of bacon so they don't consider all the other types of bacon bacon. Shocking and sad.

I keep hearing things about Canadian Bacon. I'm not even sure it exists but if it does I have little doubt it is as bland and forgettable as everything else from Canada.

The_Poet

Banned
Sort of by accident I've eaten pork sausages for lunch and dinner for three days in a row. I'm enjoying myself, though I'm frightened I might become more pig than man.

But screw it I'm just gonna say it, I don't care if I'm banned.

Sausages are better than bacon.

They are the best. There is no better way to ingest dead pig than in sausage form. Granted, there are princes and paupers in the sausage world; a Cumberland is a lot fucking better than a Toulouse. But the best bacon in the world does not beat the best sausage, anyone who disagrees is objectively incorrect.

I have to admit, I do like sausages but they aren't mutually exclusive to bacon, different flavours.

EDIT: Also Chipolata's are the worst sausage variant

Liver and bacon works but liver and sausage?
would probably work tbh

I have to admit, I do like sausages but they aren't mutually exclusive to bacon, different flavours.

EDIT: Also Chipolata's are the worst sausage variant

Liver and bacon works but liver and sausage?
would probably work tbh

When I was in Portsmouth they used to put up a Bratwurst stand on the high street in winter. Bratwurst is amazing.

Liver though? You can keep the internal organs, I'm not a savage.

It's actually the yank name for bacon rashers/back bacon.

Damn those Yanky-Doodles

The_Poet

Banned
When I was in Portsmouth they used to put up a Bratwurst stand on the high street in winter. Bratwurst is amazing.

Liver though? You can keep the internal organs, I'm not a savage.

Damn those Yanky-Doodles

Liver and bacon with onions and mash is a delicacy that too few people like

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Americans are infuriating. So proud in their ignorance of the rest of the world.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Anyway I'm grumpy this morning because I came all the way into the office thinking I had something important in the post, but it wasn't important at all. No emails, no other post. Had messages on the phone, was something I'd already dealt with. At least working from home seems to be working OK I guess...

Isn't Gamescom on next week?

Doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz about it.

July was a slow month for gaming news I thought. Looking forward to another dose of trailers.

NinjaBoiX

Was it Silent Hill they remade and managed to suck all the atmosphere out of the game when they updated the visuals?
Yeah, they removed most of the fog and stuff, made a total hash of it. Their excuse was that Konami lost the final source code, so they had to work with half finished alpha builds stuffed with bugs.

But then Bluepoint (kings of the remaster) came out and bascially said "Why didn't you just get a hold of the original PS1 discs and reverse engineer the ISO? lol, clueless chancers."

Yeah, they removed most of the fog and stuff, made a total hash of it. Their excuse was that Konami lost the final source code, so they had to work with half finished alpha builds stuffed with bugs.

But then Bluepoint (kings of the remaster) came out and bascially said "Why didn't you just get a hold of the original PS1 discs and reverse engineer the ISO? lol, clueless chancers."

Fo' shame

Though to be honest I think the only HD re-release I've played is the Abe's Oddysee remake. It always seems like a bitch of a tightrope to walk especially when you're updating a classic because people attach nostalgia to the tiniest details. I'd kind of like a HD remaster (or remake or re release whatever) of the original Deus Ex. But it would get a lot of hate if it was done wrong.

One I hear did a lot right was Hitman Contracts which was supposedly a remake of the original game, Codename 47, with some extra levels chucked in. I regularly hear people rank it second to Blood Money.

It's a slow day BritGAF, tell me what you'd like remade or not remade and I shall judgeth ye from on high

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I like a good remake, they re-present the game how you remembered it, not how it really is. Favourite remakes would be Super Mario All-Stars (retroooooo) and Halo Anniversary (cos I love Halo). I would love to see the original Starfox with a nice smooth makeover but with the same flat shaded polygon style.

Volotaire

If I'm going to the game for the first time, remakes or remasters are perfect. Currently going through Wind Waker HD remake and MGS HD Collection remaster for first time for each.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
One I hear did a lot right was Hitman Contracts which was supposedly a remake of the original game, Codename 47, with some extra levels chucked in. I regularly hear people rank it second to Blood Money.

This is correct. In some respects, it's arguably better than Blood Money.

EDIT: Jed? You might like this.

If I'm going to the game for the first time, remakes or remasters are perfect. Currently going through Wind Waker HD remake and MGS HD Collection remaster for first time for each.

Not sure I agree...it's like watching the director's cut of a movie first, rather than the original release. You don't get to appreciate what's been changed and/or added. Perhaps it's okay to do that for games that would really be unplayable for someone with low tolerance for dated visuals maybe. Although, if you come at it without nostaliga goggles attached you're not going to be hung up on those little changes.

Otherwise, for me, a HD re release is specifically to let you play something again but with an update.

EDIT

I enjoyed your posts in that thread Meat, good stuff.

Volotaire

Not sure I agree...it's like watching the director's cut of a movie first, rather than the original release. You don't get to appreciate what's been changed and/or added. Perhaps it's okay to do that for games that would really be unplayable for someone with low tolerance for dated visuals maybe. Although, if you come at it without nostaliga goggles attached you're not going to be hung up on those little changes.

Otherwise, for me, a HD re release is specifically to let you play something again but with an update.

I partly agree with you, but sometimes just the ease of accessibility of playing these games on current consoles makes it preferable. Remasters serve the first time play-through better than remakes. I'd also rather watch the Director's Cut rather than the original first, I want those extra features. I don't really have time/have an urge to play single player games a second time so it'd either be the original or the remake (unless the remake in question is drastically different).

I haven't really played many HD re-remasters, outside of the MGS collection, which Bluepoint did a fantastic job with, and Jak & Daxter 1. Having played those games on the PS2, it's nice being able to access them in a manner which has decent image quality on a HDTV.

I still have Peace Walker, J&D 2/3, the Ratchet & Clank Trilogy, and both God of War Collections to start/finish (all of which I never got round to on the original hardware). The IQ & visual improvements alone are enough to convince me to play these versions in place of the originals, before any changes for the better to control schemes etc. Also I don't believe any of those I have actually have any gameplay changes?

Reknoc

no proper hd remaster has any gameplay changes, some bugfixes maybe but that's it. It's more like getting the film on bluray. If it's done well then it's totally a good substitute for the original.

no proper hd remaster has any gameplay changes, some bugfixes maybe but that's it. It's more like getting the film on bluray. If it's done well then it's totally a good substitute for the original.

Yeah I think I was getting confused with some of the Nintendo 3DS remasters like Star Fox 64, and Ocarina of Time 3D where new features were added in. Although some of the changes there were caused by moving to hardware with a completely different design and means of control.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

WWHD had gameplay changes, but they were for the better.

Only oddity is the Tingle Tuner. It's completely absent from the game and yet you can still find a treasure which you originally used the TT to find. However the game gives no hint towards this so you have to know about it already to find it. I guess they wanted people to use Miiverse and leave hints (which I did).

There is also another TT related treasure that you cannot find however because it does need the TT to view said treasure (the other one only used it to find it, so if you know the locations you don't need it).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Fo' shame

Though to be honest I think the only HD re-release I've played is the Abe's Oddysee remake. It always seems like a bitch of a tightrope to walk especially when you're updating a classic because people attach nostalgia to the tiniest details. I'd kind of like a HD remaster (or remake or re release whatever) of the original Deus Ex. But it would get a lot of hate if it was done wrong.

It's a slow day BritGAF, tell me what you'd like remade or not remade and I shall judgeth ye from on high

Hmm.

System shock 2 would be cool. There's things they could fix with it that Ken L didn't want in in the first place.

All I can think about are all the games I'm dying to play which are on last gen consoles -

The bioshock games
The souls games
Ico and shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy 13 games

One of these is a lie.

Two words:

Operation

Flashpoint

That game was frigging awesome. Huge in scope and complete freedom to do missions however you wanted (I remember such a feeling of triumph when I did a covert ops stealth mission where you were supposed to plant C4 and esape undetected by sneaking into a base, nicking a Hind and just razing the place). If you had enough free time, you could literally just get in a Ural and drive from one end of the island to another, which was like 40km. It felt like it had a realistic sense of scale. It wasn't like Quake or something where you ran at 50 scale mph, you ran at a normal speed, i.e. fucking slow. Getting away from bad guys felt tense, sprinting from one copse of trees to the next. Checking your map (an actual paper map and compass) felt like real orienteering. Shooting required the use of proper iron-sights, which were different for each gun. The vehicles were all awesome, and they were introduced during the missions which made the world feel like it was opening up along the way. The first time you go from town to town in a truck grows the world a bit. Then you get a tank. Then a helicopter. Then a JET! The graphics pretty much sucked on toast though. I imagine if I played it now (as opposed to when I was 14) I wouldn't have the patience for it. Modern graphics have spoiled me :-/

I'm guessing the modern 'Battlefield' series of games is it's spiritual successor? I never played those games though, and I hear the latest one is ridiculously buggy.

Two words:

Operation

Flashpoint

That game was frigging awesome. Huge in scope and complete freedom to do missions however you wanted (I remember such a feeling of triumph when I did a covert ops stealth mission where you were supposed to plant C4 and esape undetected by sneaking into a base, nicking a Hind and just razing the place). If you had enough free time, you could literally just get in a Ural and drive from one end of the island to another, which was like 40km. It felt like it had a realistic sense of scale. It wasn't like Quake or something where you ran at 50 scale mph, you ran at a normal speed, i.e. fucking slow. Getting away from bad guys felt tense, sprinting from one copse of trees to the next. Checking your map (an actual paper map and compass) felt like real orienteering. Shooting required the use of proper iron-sights, which were different for each gun. The vehicles were all awesome, and they were introduced during the missions which made the world feel like it was opening up along the way. The first time you go from town to town in a truck grows the world a bit. Then you get a tank. Then a helicopter. Then a JET! The graphics pretty much sucked on toast though. I imagine if I played it now (as opposed to when I was 14) I wouldn't have the patience for it. Modern graphics have spoiled me :-/

I'm guessing the modern 'Battlefield' series of games is it's spiritual successor? I never played those games though, and I hear the latest one is ridiculously buggy.

Erm I think you mean the ARMA series?

Possibly, I haven't followed things since then.

I did buy the Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising game for the 360, but I didn't really get the hang of it. Maybe it was just playing that kind of game with a pad, I played the first one with mouse/keyboard.

Bohemia Interactive who make ARMA are the devs who made OP Flashpoint. Codemasters kept hold of the OP Flash name/IP, hence Dragon Rising was a very different and worse game than the original from what I remember.

Two words:

Operation

Flashpoint

Military sims like Operation Flashpoint are something I've always wanted to have a go at. I think the closest modern approximation to that are the ARMA games and some of the mods for Battlefield 2. For me those games represent a massive expansion of the "raid this base" thing you get in stuff like Far Cry 3, which I enjoy.

I've tried my hand at other sims like Silent Hunter, the submarine one. When I realised I had to figure out how to use a pair of compasses on the in game map to get anywhere I just gave up.

Sometimes I just want quick and easy in an FPS and BF4 scratches that itch currently. Had a lot of fun the last couple of nights using a shotgun with explosive shells to kill snipers far off with splash damage, got some tasty hatemail.

Reknoc

Yeah I think I was getting confused with some of the Nintendo 3DS remasters like Star Fox 64, and Ocarina of Time 3D where new features were added in. Although some of the changes there were caused by moving to hardware with a completely different design and means of control.

WWHD had gameplay changes, but they were for the better.

Only oddity is the Tingle Tuner. It's completely absent from the game and yet you can still find a treasure which you originally used the TT to find. However the game gives no hint towards this so you have to know about it already to find it. I guess they wanted people to use Miiverse and leave hints (which I did).

There is also another TT related treasure that you cannot find however because it does need the TT to view said treasure (the other one only used it to find it, so if you know the locations you don't need it).

Nintendo's are pretty interesting as the 3D ones also upgraded the graphics slightly. The removal of the TT in WWHD isn't all that surprising though, and probably not something any other game has to deal with, since it used external hardware.

Bohemia Interactive who make ARMA are the devs who made OP Flashpoint. Codemasters kept hold of the OP Flash name/IP, hence Dragon Rising was a very different and worse game than the original from what I remember.

Ah right, that explains things. I got hyped for Dragon Rising (and I'm not a guy who generally gets hyped) so it was a big let down to get, what I felt was, a very superficial approximation of the original. Makes sense that it was a completely different team slapping the name on a different type of game.

Military sims like Operation Flashpoint are something I've always wanted to have a go at. I think the closest modern approximation to that are the ARMA games and some of the mods for Battlefield 2. For me those games represent a massive expansion of the "raid this base" thing you get in stuff like Far Cry 3, which I enjoy.

I've tried my hand at other sims like Silent Hunter, the submarine one. When I realised I had to figure out how to use a pair of compasses on the in game map to get anywhere I just gave up.

Sometimes I just want quick and easy in an FPS and BF4 scratches that itch currently. Had a lot of fun the last couple of nights using a shotgun with explosive shells to kill snipers far off with splash damage, got some tasty hatemail.

The thing is, I say I want a remake but do I really? If I played the original I'd probably find it ridiculously frustrating, since it was not at all straightforward how to do things. You often got one-shot killed, it was merciless. I remember several missions where I literally had to crawl to the evac point to complete it because my legs had been shot out. But in 2001, I could spend hours and hours learning how to aim all the weapons, where to deploy my men for each mission and with what equipment, where to have tanks stationed and when to call in air support, etc. All that stuff was hard, but it felt satisfying.

Nowadays though, I want frequent checkpoints, I want regen health, I want autoaim, cos I'm a 28 year old guy with stuff to do. I can't spend all my time getting good at a videogame.

I guess what I really want is an HD remake of my childhood ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit:

Hatemail is the only way to definitively know that you're playing the game correctly Daps ;-P

Vashetti

Banned
Got a text last night from my boss saying I wouldn't be needed until Thursday now, so I FINALLY start my job tomorrow. Well, training at least.

lol damn straight

I was playing on a German clan server the other night and was using a machiengun with a bipod to hit people on the other side of the map.

I got three messages in that game, which became more amusing when I imagined someone yelling them in a German accent.

1) "stop camp! noob!"

2) "noob......."

3)
nooooooooooob!!!

I would have quit that server but decided to stick around after I got mail from butthurt Germans.

Ah right, that explains things. I got hyped for Dragon Rising (and I'm not a guy who generally gets hyped) so it was a big let down to get, what I felt was, a very superficial approximation of the original. Makes sense that it was a completely different team slapping the name on a different type of game.

The thing is, I say I want a remake but do I really? If I played the original I'd probably find it ridiculously frustrating, since it was not at all straightforward how to do things. You often got one-shot killed, it was merciless. I remember several missions where I literally had to crawl to the evac point to complete it because my legs had been shot out. But in 2001, I could spend hours and hours learning how to aim all the weapons, where to deploy my men for each mission and with what equipment, where to have tanks stationed and when to call in air support, etc. All that stuff was hard, but it felt satisfying.

Nowadays though, I want frequent checkpoints, I want regen health, I want autoaim, cos I'm a 28 year old guy with stuff to do. I can't spend all my time getting good at a videogame.

I guess what I really want is an HD remake of my childhood ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit:

Hatemail is the only way to definitively know that you're playing the game correctly Daps ;-P

I briefly played ARMA 2 around launch. The term 'full-on' would be a disservice to the gameplay, from the controls through tactics and onto the way missions could be planned were all meticulous. What's amazing is that the modding community go to town on these games, adding more depth, refining and improving various things (ACE mod??).

I didn't have the time back then to invest into it, so it never had any chance of clicking, (plus very buggy and poor performance). But if OP Flash was your thing, I'd check out ARMA 2 or 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom