• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking pet hate that is. It doesn't fit, write something else! Flow and cadence are king.

It's not as bad as stretching syllables out to fill a gap though, at least he's usually written too many lyrics rather than too few.

Maaaan, Moz don't give a fuck man. He's got a lyric he's going to put it in, and NO he's not going to change it to fit.

Lol no wonder The Smiths broke up.

Oh, his autobiography is great btw. As you'd expect, he quotes his own song lyrics relentlessly throughout. I rank Morrissey as number two most self-centred pop singer after R. Kelly

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ninj, did you really think I was a Morrissey fan? He annoys me!

Yes he's beautiful but lonely. But maybe he's being ironic! How amazing. Grumble

Less crankily and more enthusiasticallyally - I've just got up to Winter on The Last of Us. Blimey.

If only it didn't take an hour to get into an MP game I'd have nothing to moan about.

Oh and we are now bonding with our guinea pigs. It is lovely and they are cute. They have names. The ginger one (very boisterous, likes to sit on you and be stroked) is called Mr. Frank Orange. The grey one (tubby, likes having the cage to himself, prefers carrots to broccoli) is called Mr. Herbert Grey.

Oh and LONDON LONDON LONDON LONDON LONDONERS, I'm going to be getting the coach down on the Wednesday before Eurogamer. Staying in a hotel in Earl's Court. Gonna be at EGX on the Thursday and Friday. E is coming down on Friday night, we're spending Sat together and then in the evening joining y'all for the meet. But if anybody is free on the Wednesday / Thursday night and just fancies chilling / having some food, the odd drink, let me know! I'll bring my Vita anyway in case you all decide I smell.

Son Of D

Oh and LONDON LONDON LONDON LONDON LONDONERS, I'm going to be getting the coach down on the Wednesday before Eurogamer. Staying in a hotel in Earl's Court. Gonna be at EGX on the Thursday and Friday. E is coming down on Friday night, we're spending Sat together and then in the evening joining y'all for the meet. But if anybody is free on the Wednesday / Thursday night and just fancies chilling / having some food, the odd drink, let me know! I'll bring my Vita anyway in case you all decide I smell.

I'll make a note of this and if I am free on Wednesday and/or Thursday I'll let you know. You can get a teaser of my shyness :p.

NinjaBoiX

Yes he's beautiful but lonely. But maybe he's being ironic! How amazing. Grumble
oh right, I knew you felt strongly one way or the other! Maybe I'm thinking of Michelle, she loves him.
NinjaBoiX said:
Haha, true. They have a tendency to be snobby twats.
Hmmm...
Less crankily and more enthusiasticallyally - I've just got up to Winter on The Last of Us. Blimey.
The best part.

Get ready for feels.
Oh and we are now bonding with our guinea pigs. It is lovely and they are cute. They have names. The ginger one (very boisterous, likes to sit on you and be stroked) is called Mr. Frank Orange. The grey one (tubby, likes having the cage to himself, prefers carrots to broccoli) is called Mr. Herbert Grey.
Haha, wicked names!

Mikeside

I'll be around from Wednesday night onwards.

Fancy a meal with Z and I? Maybe on Friday night with E too?

NinjaBoiX

I actually quite like his new track, they've played it a fair bit on 6 Music:

Morrisey - Istanbul

God damn he needs more range though. He sings in like four or five different notes. It almost feels like a computer program could write his melodies.

I actually quite like his new track, they've played it a fair bit on 6 Music:

Morrisey - Istanbul

God damn he needs more range though. He sings in like four or five different notes. It almost feels like a computer program could write his melodies.

I hadn't heard that before, that's pretty good actually!

I know what you mean about range though. If you were to do an impression of him singing you'd sort of go "La-di-dee, la-dee-dah". It's instantly recognisable, but it's literally what he sounds like! Check out Barbarism Begins at Home. I love that song, but I think he sings maybe six / seven notes total the whole song? The whole song.

NinjaBoiX

Haha, yeah that's a good example.

He always seems to end a verse on the same note too (couldn't tell you which, I'm not very musical).

He's not what you'd call adventurous vocally.

jimbor

Banned

If only it didn't take an hour to get into an MP game I'd have nothing to moan about.

I think I'll be around, not sure what day yet as waiting for college to let me know when I'm supposed to attend. They're so organised(!)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'll make a note of this and if I am free on Wednesday and/or Thursday I'll let you know. You can get a teaser of my shyness :p.

Well, no pressure! Just let me know.

Hmmm...

The best part.

Get ready for feels.

I've got a feeling it's not going to have a happy ending. I know the rest of the game has been so cheerful, but I just think it's going to turn.

I'll be around from Wednesday night onwards.

Fancy a meal with Z and I? Maybe on Friday night with E too?

Ooo. That would be lovely - the only problem is that E's train doesn't get in on Friday until 10pm. But I will Whatsapp.

Sploat obvs I'm in for any night/every night

Bon croissant! :)

I think I'll be around, not sure what day yet as waiting for college to let me know when I'm supposed to attend. They're so organised(!)

Fab!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Oh, his autobiography is great btw. As you'd expect, he quotes his own song lyrics relentlessly throughout. I rank Morrissey as number two most self-centred pop singer after R. Kelly

Now I really have to read it. I'm anticipating Partridge esque levels of self promotion and self awareness.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Now I really have to read it. I'm anticipating Partridge esque levels of self promotion and self awareness.

"O I was so lonely but so beautiful. Mother, how could your beautiful boy be born in a world so ghastly?"

"I was remembering Ena Sharples when a brute drove by in a Ford Fiesta, playing reggae. O it was simply abhorrent. "

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Mornin' y'all.

That beautiful Conspiracy Thread got shutdown because of stupid Truthers. Ugh.

41622-Grumpy-cat-good-Rl59.jpeg

What are the dates?

I don't think he ever actually ends any chapters with "Needless to say, I had the last laugh", but it does border on parody at some points.

If you only read one bit, make it the chapter where he has to deal with the job centre. Firstly, the idea of Moz having a "proper job" is just instantly funny. But the level of melodrama is amazing. He basically ends that part when the woman says he'd have to accept a job cleaning canal banks or have his dole cut off, and says "I knew then that I'd have to become a successful pop singer, or lie down in the middle of the road and die".

The audiobook is good, but I'd turn off when you get to about the year 2000 onwards. He literally starts describing his solo tours by listing the locations and the turnouts in each location. "April 5th, Denver Colorado. I look out into the crowd at five thousand six hundred young faces..."

"O I was so lonely but so beautiful. Mother, how could your beautiful boy be born in a world so ghastly?"

"I was remembering Ena Sharples when a brute drove by in a Ford Fiesta, playing reggae. O it was simply abhorrent. "

You're not a million miles off here!

Edit:

Describing his school years he pretty much says "I was never molested, but my teachers were definitely paedophiles (belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools)".

My ticket is for the Saturday but since this hoo-ha with my job it seems likely I'll be free for most of September so I could say hello on Wednesday or Thursday.

NinjaBoiX

Sploatee, prepare yourself for the TLoU ending, it's quite abrupt but says absolutely everything at the same time. They're so confident in the humanity of their characters, just pay close attention to the eyes, that's all I'll say.
About to head off for my first day of training.

shitting bricks
You'll be fine dude, just try and enjoy it!

SKINNER!

Banned
My EGX plans:-

Travel thursday night, arrive into LANDAAAN on friday. Wander around aimlessly and meet with GF's friends at some point in the afternoon/early evening. If anything is happening on Friday night then I can definitely tag along. Cannot wait to catch up with Musha, Jeds, Mikeside, Daps, zomg, Jimbor, BGBW and the rest of crew that I can't be bothered mentioning. Saturday is going to be fun. Head back at some point on Sunday...can't remember when.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ooh shit actually I think we're going to a gig on Friday night so maybe Thursday without e?

Sounds like a plan!

Mornin' y'all.

That beautiful Conspiracy Thread got shutdown because of stupid Truthers. Ugh.

What are the dates?

So i arrive in London about 8pm ish on 24 September. I leave to go back to the north on the 28th. So I'm around for a while.

Good luck! I'm sure you won't need it though, you'll be fine :)

Good luck Vashetti!

You're not a million miles off here!

I'm an ex-Smiths fan, that's probably why. Marr > Morrissey. There are some really good Smiths songs, I just got annoyed with some close friends becoming obsessive Smiths cultists.

Cemetery Gates was the soundtrack to a reallu lovely summer in uni.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so for work I'm calling Nurseries to get address details and such. It's all legitimate and above board. One nursery I've come across (easy there, tiger) is called "Chase Under 5s"... whilst another is called "Fingringhoe Nursery".

I shit you not.

So i arrive in London about 8pm ish on 24 September. I leave to go back to the north on the 28th. So I'm around for a while.

Right oh, I shall look into it!

I'm an ex-Smiths fan, that's probably why. Marr > Morrissey. There are some really good Smiths songs, I just got annoyed with some close friends becoming obsessive Smiths cultists.

Cemetery Gates was the soundtrack to a reallu lovely summer in uni.

See, I don't understand Smiths cultists. I think all Smiths fans should eventually become ex-Smiths fans. Not in the sense that you can't continue to appreciate the music, but the sentiment and message in a lot of it is very mopey and teenage, and eventually you should grow out of it.

I think Moz completely understands this too, and has from the start. I may be giving him a bit too much credit here, but I always interpreted the song Rubber Ring as being Morrissey singing to his ex-fans in the future:

"But don't forget the songs that made you cry,
And the songs that saved your life,
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine,
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

[...]

I'm here with the cause, I'm holding the torch,
In the corner of your room, can you hear me?
And when you're dancing and laughing, and finally living,
Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly
"

He's acknowledging that you'll grow up and grow out of it, but that he (and his songs) never will. I always thought that was pretty cool.

This is also borne out by the fact that all his current concert attendees are still mainly teenagers and young people, despite the fact that he's now a 55 year old man!

Ok, I promise I'm done clogging up the thread with Mozza stuff. Carry on :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I think I'm free before Eurogamer. Nothing comes to mind.

My ticket is for the Saturday but since this hoo-ha with my job it seems likely I'll be free for most of September so I could say hello on Wednesday or Thursday.

Sounds like a plan is formulating...

Sploatee, prepare yourself for the TLoU ending, it's quite abrupt but says absolutely everything at the same time. They're so confident in the humanity of their characters, just pay close attention to the eyes, that's all I'll say.

Ok! I'm looking forward to finishing it so I can talk about it without being all evasive. So far, it's probably one of the best games I've ever played. I think it'll be even better when I play through the second time on survivor difficulty. I think the script and story are a bit derivative but are so good it could be a decent tv show/ book / film.

My EGX plans:-

Travel thursday night, arrive into LANDAAAN on friday. Wander around aimlessly and meet with GF's friends at some point in the afternoon/early evening. If anything is happening on Friday night then I can definitely tag along. Cannot wait to catch up with Musha, Jeds, Mikeside, Daps, zomg, Jimbor, BGBW and the rest of crew that I can't be bothered mentioning. Saturday is going to be fun. Head back at some point on Sunday...can't remember when.

Not looking forward to catching up with me, eh? Your failure to demonstrate enthusiasm has been noted.

Okay, so for work I'm calling Nurseries to get address details and such. It's all legitimate and above board. One nursery I've come across (easy there, tiger) is called "Chase Under 5s"... whilst another is called "Fingringhoe Nursery".

I shit you not.

Right oh, I shall look into it!

A plan! Is coming together! Those nurseries sound erm.

See, I don't understand Smiths cultists. I think all Smiths fans should eventually become ex-Smiths fans. Not in the sense that you can't continue to appreciate the music, but the sentiment and message in a lot of it is very mopey and teenage, and eventually you should grow out of it.

I think Moz completely understands this too, and has from the start. I may be giving him a bit too much credit here, but I always interpreted the song Rubber Ring as being Morrissey singing to his ex-fans in the future:

"But don't forget the songs that made you cry,
And the songs that saved your life,
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine,
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

[...]

I'm here with the cause, I'm holding the torch,
In the corner of your room, can you hear me?
And when you're dancing and laughing, and finally living,
Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly
"

He's acknowledging that you'll grow up and grow out of it, but that he (and his songs) never will. I always thought that was pretty cool.

This is also borne out by the fact that all his current concert attendees are still mainly teenagers and young people, despite the fact that he's now a 55 year old man!

Ok, I promise I'm done clogging up the thread with Mozza stuff. Carry on :)

Talk about it as much as you want! I mean the only thing stopping me from clogging up the thread with Nine Inch Nails posts is my inability to youtube link on mobile properly.

SKINNER!

Banned
Not looking forward to catching up with me, eh? Your failure to demonstrate enthusiasm has been noted.

Awww Sploateeeeeee! You know I'm looking forward to meeting you so we can be Vita buddies. It's just noffles that I'm not looking forward to meet. Can't deal with his shit.

NinjaBoiX

Sploatee, you really need to play the Left Behind DLC for TLoU, you really do. I guess you're playing the PS4 version right? It comes bundled iirc.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sploatee, you really need to play the Left Behind DLC for TLoU, you really do. I guess you're playing the PS4 version right? It comes bundled iirc.

I definitely will. Just out of interest, could you answer how much of the game I have left on one of these cryptic ways:

Nearly there / not yet

Awww Sploateeeeeee! You know I'm looking forward to meeting you so we can be Vita buddies. It's just noffles that I'm not looking forward to meet. Can't deal with his shit.

Oooookkkkkkk. I said what I said in the voice of the London Monitor. Love that guy.

Sploat when you say Cemetery Gates, are you talking Pantera?

Nope, not as good! The Smiths.

Oooookkkkkkk. I said what I said in the voice of the London Monitor. Love that guy.

lol

"Youuu are aggravating the ruuuule of laawww! Damage to state prrroperty is tantamouunt to trrreason!"

I wish I could download some kind of life coach app that comments on my failures in that voice.

"Your failure to procure toilet rolls from the supermarket will have dire consequences, terrrorrist!

Vashetti

Banned
Backkkk

Sweat dripping off me, but everyone was really nice. Surprised so many were younger than me, around the 16-18 (between school and college limbo) area.

Just sat in a room all day being told what to do, what not to do. Asking questions, etc.

I never considered I could get stabbed because I should refuse to serve a drunken guy with alcohol.

Now I'm worried I'm going to get stabbed.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
lol

"Youuu are aggravating the ruuuule of laawww! Damage to state prrroperty is tantamouunt to trrreason!"

I wish I could download some kind of life coach app that comments on my failures in that voice.

"Your failure to procure toilet rolls from the supermarket will have dire consequences, terrrorrist!

I just got Wolfenstein myself. It's really bloody good.

Backkkk

Sweat dripping off me, but everyone was really nice. Surprised so many were younger than me, around the 16-18 (between school and college limbo) area.

Just sat in a room all day being told what to do, what not to do. Asking questions, etc.

I never considered I could get stabbed because I should refuse to serve a drunken guy with alcohol.

92Rbop2.jpg

I've been offered an interview with the company I wrote to the other week! Thanks for the encouragement you guys!

Backkkk

I used to be a retail employee like you but then I look a knife to the abdomen.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
lol

:D

He so deserves to become a meme.

"Citizens of Lonn-donn! Your failure to cut down on congestion have been noted!"

Backkkk

You are! Seriously, well done!

I just got Wolfenstein myself. It's really bloody good.

Welcome to the world's biggest cult! It's belting from (almost) start to finish :)

Vashetti

Banned
Thanks for the all the well wishes folks.

Worried now because I got a text from my manager saying she needs my proper birth certificate. The one I supplied wasn't 'valid' apparently because it doesn't have mention of my parents and their names on it.

This is my original certificate, my parent's birth certificates also don't give mention of their parentage. Very odd.

Son Of D

Backkkk

Not surprised myself at the age range of the workers there. Most Co-ops and places like that tend to have younger staff. Or at least they do down here. And don't worry about the stabbing thing. Working in retail can get you a lot of threats but they never follow through with them. Although seeing that you will be working somewhere that sells alcohol I can see that being different. Also depends on where the Co-op is. Let's go to the bright side though, congrats on your first day! :D

Backkkk

Gratz man!

Don't you get mad discount working for Co-op? I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

Vashetti

Banned
Not surprised myself at the age range of the workers there. Most Co-ops and places like that tend to have younger staff. Or at least they do down here. And don't worry about the stabbing thing. Working in retail can get you a lot of threats but they never follow through with them. Although seeing that you will be working somewhere that sells alcohol I can see that being different. Also depends on where the Co-op is. Let's go to the bright side though, congrats on your first day! :D

I'm only 20 myself, I just expected a lot more people older than me.

Gratz man!

Don't you get mad discount working for Co-op? I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

20% off on Saturdays, 10% every other day :D

afoni

Banned
fwiw my timetable next year allows me all days but mon and tues to do what i want so eurogamer ho

im 21 in 9 days

i hope my birthday is not shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom