• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

afoni

Banned
Last case of Ace Attorney 2, maybe soon I will be able to jump on the edgeworth games bandwagon since APPARENTLY Capcocm have no desire to port AA4 to anything ever and pretend it doesn't exist despite the game they just ported showing evidence to the contrary.

That case is a wild ride.

Enjoy it.

just got call from my mum, my cat has severe kidney failure and is being put down in the morning

suffice to say I am devastated

He's just sleeping on me and I can't stop crying. He has no idea what's going to happen.

I just can't believe he's going to be gone tomorrow, it just doesn't seem real.

I've been through this, so I know how hard it is. Just remember the good times you've had, and know he won't be in pain anymore.

Vashetti

Banned
Do you think work will understand if I explain what's going on and say I'm going to be a little late?

I'm praying they let me off for the day, though I don't know how 'important' they see the death of a cat :(

Vashetti

Banned
really surreal day.

Had to go into work and put my happy face on. Still haven't registered what's happened, it feels like I imagined it all.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That really sucks Vashetti. You'll be okay though. It's a sad fact of life. At least you are growing stronger and being prepared for death in a small way for when a person close to you passes on. You'll be all right.

Valhelm

contribute something
I'm getting really into The Crane Wife by The Decemberists.

Are they a cool band to like, or are they one of those "oh man...you like THEM? siiigh"?
I can never tell which who is cool and who is generally hated with folk music.

Not that it affects the fact I'm going to listen to this album 3 times a day for the next month or so.

The Decemberists have a very mixed reputation. Much like Wilco or the Shins, they've been around for quite a while and aren't currently hot, but have a large fanbase and are usually very well-regarded.

You ought to listen to Picaresque and The Crane Wife next, to get an understanding of their versatility and breadth. The King is Dead is an incredible album, but a bit different, so you might want to save it for last.

Vashetti

Banned
That really sucks Vashetti. You'll be okay though. It's a sad fact of life. At least you are growing stronger and being prepared for death in a small way for when a person close to you passes on. You'll be all right.

Thank you all for your kind words, but this here especially got me thinking.

I care about my family, but I only truly care about my mum and dad, and my partner. Once they're 'gone', so to speak, I'll not be sticking around either. I know it's grim, but I couldn't bear living without all of them.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I found a dead cat in my garden after tripping my baws off all day, bit of a heavy comedown, someone is missing that cat right now. Gave my cat a big stroke, put the dead one in the freezer. Well, my mum did. I'm too high to be handling a dead cat. Which was an interesting conversation.

I found a dead cat in my garden after tripping my baws off all day, bit of a heavy comedown, someone is missing that cat right now. Gave my cat a big stroke, put the dead one in the freezer. Well, my mum did. I'm too high to be handling a dead cat. Which was an interesting conversation.

Dead cat in the freezer? Christmas dinner sorted way ahead of schedule.

But are you sure you didn't imagine all that Jed? Maybe it wasn't a dead cat you found in the garden, maybe it was
yourself.

After all, you are a
cool cat.

Ahoy Britfolk,

I'm doing another very long car journey next week (Bristol to Guisborough and back) so I'm once again putting the metaphorical bat-signal up for some good audiobook recommendations.

Any suggestions peeps?

afoni

Banned
I've been busy contemplating whether or not life can be experienced without the limits that come with a corporeal form.

I've been talking to people online who aren't you sordid lot

Ahoy Britfolk,

I'm doing another very long car journey next week (Bristol to Guisborough and back) so I'm once again putting the metaphorical bat-signal up for some good audiobook recommendations.

Any suggestions peeps?

I can only recommend the Hardcore History podcasts by Dan Carlin.

He has a very good one about WWI going right now but also a variety of other stuff from all eras

The_Poet

Banned
Ahoy Britfolk,

Any suggestions peeps?

Ricky Gervais Podcasts
Russel Brand Podcasts

Ready Player One audio book
Enders Gams audio book

Thanks for the recommendations guys

I can only recommend the Hardcore History podcasts by Dan Carlin.

He has a very good one about WWI going right now but also a variety of other stuff from all eras

I've heard other people mention Dan Carlin before, but never got round to listening to the HH. That could be a good shout.

Ricky Gervais Podcasts

Hah, I've listened to, and watched, pretty much everything with Karl Pilkington in it. Fantastic stuff and I would definitely recommend them (and the accompanying cartoon show!).

Russel Brand Podcasts

Ehhh, I might give this a go. I think Brand's a bit of a nob, but I do like his stand-up. Is this comedy though? He seems to be getting more political / serious these days (talking about Gaza and stuff).

Ready Player One audio book

Ooh, yes. I've seen people post the cover to this book in loads of threads. Could be worth checking it out.

Enders Gams audio book

Only if narrated by phoning-it-in-yet-again Harrison Ford

Anything by Bill Bryson. Dude fascinates me.

Yeah, I've read most of his travel books. Plus that one about the English language. Cool guy, does he read the audiobooks himself?

If you ever go to the Roman Ruins in Bath, he narrates the audio tour. He's got a nice voice for that kind of thing imo!

The_Poet

Banned
Ehhh, I might give this a go. I think Brand's a bit of a nob, but I do like his stand-up. Is this comedy though? He seems to be getting more political / serious these days (talking about Gaza and stuff).

I used to think he was a bit of a nob too from the way he is portrayed on TV but his early radio 4 stuff (before he hit the big time) is fantastic. My mate made me listen to them and I'm so glad I did. Its him and his good friend matt morgan (writer for a lot of comedy shows) and they play off eachother so well.

Ooh, yes. I've seen people post the cover to this book in loads of threads. Could be worth checking it out.

Its great! Really good premise and its smart about where the story goes

I've heard other people mention Dan Carlin before, but never got round to listening to the HH. That could be a good shout.

The HH podcasts are pretty darn good. Each one is usually a good 2-3 hours, sometimes they go on longer though. Part 4 of his WWI podcast is yet to come out but the series so far is probably 7 or 8 hours worth altogether. His stuff is good because it's informative but it also draws you in to some of the personal stories on the ground so you don't get this sanitized, statistical reading of events.

As for Russell Brand... I found him vaguely irritating for a long time and then I saw his interview with Jeremy Paxman and just gave up trying to like him. To me, that interview shattered the illusion that the man is smarter than he sounds.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The HH podcasts are pretty darn good. Each one is usually a good 2-3 hours, sometimes they go on longer though. Part 4 of his WWI podcast is yet to come out but the series so far is probably 7 or 8 hours worth altogether. His stuff is good because it's informative but it also draws you in to some of the personal stories on the ground so you don't get this sanitized, statistical reading of events.

As for Russell Brand... I found him vaguely irritating for a long time and then I saw his interview with Jeremy Paxman and just gave up trying to like him. To me, that interview shattered the illusion that the man is smarter than he sounds.

I like Brand because the way he presents himself and articulates himself is so wonderful but he is a living argument for the value of concision.

He very much reminds me of Boris, now that I think about it. Although with Boris you can see the classically-inspired seams in his rhetorical style.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't know why Russell Brand gets such a bad rap. He's enthusiastic, funny, maybe not as smart as he'd like to be but making an effort at least. I fell down a rabbit hole last week of watching his youtube news analysis and it was pretty interesting stuff. He's thoughtful, and that's more than I'd give most people.

I don't know why Russell Brand gets such a bad rap. He's enthusiastic, funny, maybe not as smart as he'd like to be but making an effort at least. I fell down a rabbit hole last week of watching his youtube news analysis and it was pretty interesting stuff. He's thoughtful, and that's more than I'd give most people.

For me, even if he was saying stuff I really agree with, I find his speech and manner excruciating. That's always been the very first hurdle for me with him. I tried to listen to some of his current events stuff and couldn't bear it. I didn't stick around long enough to see if he made any good points. Might see if I can find a subtitled version or a transcript.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Poet, I used to love the Russell Brand BBC podcast with Matt Morgan. I think I've become less enamoured with his humour since then - his stand up is solid but not quite as funny and I'm not a big fan of his Hollywood movies. However...he is great on chat shows and has a really likeable manic energy.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You know when Charlie Brown talks to the teacher and all he ever hears is that muted trumpet sound? Well, it's the same for me when Russell Brand speaks, except instead of a muted trumpet he sounds (and the sound feels) like a dentist's drill made of wasp's arse-daggers being slowly pushed deeper and deeper into my ear.

Seems like a nice guy though.

The_Poet

Banned
Poet, I used to love the Russell Brand BBC podcast with Matt Morgan. I think I've become less enamoured with his humour since then - his stand up is solid but not quite as funny and I'm not a big fan of his Hollywood movies. However...he is great on chat shows and has a really likeable manic energy.

Totally. I try to avoid his new stuff now, it feels so watered down and I can tell he feels restricted with it.

The radio show felt (and probably was) like he had free reign to do and say pretty much anything.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Totally. I try to avoid his new stuff now, it feels so watered down and I can tell he feels restricted with it.

The radio show felt (and probably was) like he had free reign to do and say pretty much anything.

Do you remember Pin Pin? It still makes me laugh now. As does David Dave and Rio Dave. :-D

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Pretty sure I just saw a wild son of a D but I wasn't 100% sure as he was wearing shades so I just walked past without hollerin

The_Poet

Banned
Do you remember Pin Pin? It still makes me laugh now. As does David Dave and Rio Dave. :-D

Haha! PIN PIN! Love it

It kills me when they are talking about when they were in the largest salt plane in America and Matt Morgan says

"This is how much of a pinch of salt I take everything you say with"

So this weekend we were supposed to get a new housemate in but he pulled out. I missed the next message from my landlady telling me she was showing around some people for a viewing.

They may have seen a flash of pale pink as I sprinted to my room from the kitchen where I was doing some washing up half naked. In the safety of my room I tensed like a coiled spring as these WOMEN were shown around the house, making mild approval noises. Then I heard them slagging off the downstairs bathroom (which is essentially my ensuite) and felt pangs of shame.

As they left I did some surreptitious curtain-twitching to catch a glimpse at the females; I couldn't tell which one was interested in the house but they were fairly normal looking. I'm trying to figure out right now if having a GURRRL in the house would be good or bad. It might motivate Atilla to stop walking around in his y fronts and nothing else, so that's a plus.

I spent a long time thinking about it as I scrubbed my shower cabinet red faced and teary eyed on Sunday.

Skele7on

Banned
So this weekend we were supposed to get a new housemate in but he pulled out. I missed the next message from my landlady telling me she was showing around some people for a viewing.

They may have seen a flash of pale pink as I sprinted to my room from the kitchen where I was doing some washing up half naked. In the safety of my room I tensed like a coiled spring as these WOMEN were shown around the house, making mild approval noises. Then I heard them slagging off the downstairs bathroom (which is essentially my ensuite) and felt pangs of shame.

As they left I did some surreptitious curtain-twitching to catch a glimpse at the females; I couldn't tell which one was interested in the house but they were fairly normal looking. I'm trying to figure out right now if having a GURRRL in the house would be good or bad. It might motivate Atilla to stop walking around in his y fronts and nothing else, so that's a plus.

I spent a long time thinking about it as I scrubbed my shower cabinet red faced and teary eyed on Sunday.

Living with a woman is a tough deal even if you're together, throw into the mix you don't know each other, it could be an absolute disaster.

Although, one of my mates who is in a house share has somehow managed to sleep with every single one of his female flat mates. He deserves a medal or something as I truly don't know how he did it.

afoni

Banned
I've got a pretty fucking busy week ahead of me. Tomorrow I'm heading back to my uni place to clean up a bit and staying until the following day so I can get more time to clear up. It's going to be boring as shit for the first day, but one of my housemates is coming the next so it should be okay. Thursday I'm meeting up with some friends I haven't seen in ages, so that should be fun. The rest of the week I'm going to be cleaning up my dad's flat for my birthday on Sunday, which should end this otherwise boring week on a high note.

What is BritGAF up to this week?

I've got a pretty fucking busy week ahead of me. Tomorrow I'm heading back to my uni place to clean up a bit and staying until the following day so I can get more time to clear up. It's going to be boring as shit for the first day, but one of my housemates is coming the next so it should be okay. Thursday I'm meeting up with some friends I haven't seen in ages, so that should be fun. The rest of the week I'm going to be cleaning up my dad's flat for my birthday on Sunday, which should end this otherwise boring week on a high note.

What is BritGAF up to this week?

When are you banging the bird?

I have a fairly busy week in work. Meeting jimbor for a beer tomorrow, going to see Finch in Underworld Wednesday, going to Project Mayhem Friday. Should be a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom