• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eanan

Christ, he was in so many great films (at least great by nostalgia) when I was growing up like Ms Doubtfire, Flubber and Jumanji.

His standup is brilliant also.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Christ, he was in so many great films (at least great by nostalgia) when I was growing up like Ms Doubtfire, Flubber and Jumanji.

His standup is brilliant also.
Flubber was actually the first movie I saw at the cinema, so yeah, it (and by extension, Robin) was quite a significant part of my childhood.

Hook was a great performance by him...and now I remembered that Bob Hoskins was also in that movie. Damn.

jimbor

Banned
That's sad about Robin Williams he was a funny guy and good actor.

It's a shame some of you remember him mostly from his terrible films.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's just that I'm worried that whatever I might say about someone who's recently deceased might come off as inappropriate on forums, so I usually keep it to myself (hence not knowing what to say). Now I'm worried that it might be the case right now.

Sorry, I wasn't commenting on your comment, I was just shocked about the news, mate!

Golf

jimbor

Banned
Good morning taxonomists.

Aside from the sad news, what is everyone up to today?

Working at Bloomberg HQ in Finsbury Square (very swish inside, beautiful atrium) this week after my weekend Cairngorms shenanigans.

Meeting Mush for a post work drink later.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Couple of days off. GotG this morning and headed to Brighton to see Slint in the evening. Tomorrow, I will mostly be at a funeral.

Et tu, Sploatee?

You're in for a treat with Guardians. It's huge fun. Those Slint tickets must've been expensive!

Sorry to hear about the funeral. Hope all is OK.

Well, I'm OK although extremely tired. Mostly my mind is on our guinea pigs and The Last of Us. That game has made me think about a lot of things in a way I hadn't expected. And I'm also addicted to the gameplay, it's so much fun (in a careful careful careful aaaaarrrgghhh!) way on Survivor. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it though. I'm expecting a pasting on those later levels.

Work. Work work work. Work, work. Work.

I think they'll let me go home later. They normally let me go home.

Why would you want to go home? Work is more important than life, everyone knows that!

Weather is finally back to not-trying-to-kill-me-with-heat.
Now if only district line starts working the way it's meant to...

I always liked the District Line. It's old school!

Working at Bloomberg HQ in Finsbury Square (very swish inside, beautiful atrium) this week after my weekend Cairngorms shenanigans.

Meeting Mush for a post work drink later.

Sounds posh. Bloomberg TV is like having 3 channels on at the same time. How was Cairngorms? Did you survive the North? :p

Skele7on

Banned
Morning guys,

So this morning has sucked finding out about Robin Williams,

Currently sat at work doing some coding, I am falling asleep.

Looking forward to seeing the Gamescom stuff later, hopefully will brighten up my day.

Anyone else think the new cod actually looks alright for a change?

jimbor

Banned
You're in for a treat with Guardians. It's huge fun. Those Slint tickets must've been expensive!

Well, I'm OK although extremely tired. Mostly my mind is on our guinea pigs and The Last of Us. That game has made me think about a lot of things in a way I hadn't expected. And I'm also addicted to the gameplay, it's so much fun (in a careful careful careful aaaaarrrgghhh!) way on Survivor. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it though. I'm expecting a pasting on those later levels.

Why would you want to go home? Work is more important than life, everyone knows that!

I always liked the District Line. It's old school!

Sounds posh. Bloomberg TV is like having 3 channels on at the same time. How was Cairngorms? Did you survive the North? :p

Apart from the midges briefly making me feel like I was in a starving children charity begging video, it was great. Pretty sure most of gaf was southerners to me for the weekend!

Only managed one mountain (Ben Macdui) as Maria was a lot more out of shape than she thought. Scenery was amazing for most of the day, a shame visibility went to shit about twenty minutes from the summit.

She's determined to get back into shape and next time (yes, we've already decided we're going back) we'll do at least 3 munros in a day hike.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Morning guys,

So this morning has sucked finding out about Robin Williams,

Currently sat at work doing some coding, I am falling asleep.

Looking forward to seeing the Gamescom stuff later, hopefully will brighten up my day.

Anyone else think the new cod actually looks alright for a change?

What do you code?

And no, sorry! The single player will have any individuality and personality focus tested out of it and I'll end up with a k/d ratio of 0.00001 on the MP and lose patience with it.

Today's okay. Already experienced one micro disaster in that one of the rubber plug things from my earbuds came off and I can't find it, so I can only listen to music in one ear now, meaning I can actually hear one side of the office, it's disgusting. Also forgot my cigarettes this morning so my walk home will be even less fun.

Tonight will be stay up for Gamescom like a good boy, ready to splash around in game side once it's done.

Watched Top Secret! the other night. Comedy by the same guys that did Airplane! and Naked Gun. Completely bonkers and it's apparent why it's less celebrated than stuff like Airplane! but it is hilarious at times, would recommend.

EDIT

I watched the CoD thing as well and overall it looks fun, if a sort of mish-mash of better ideas from existing games + double jumps.

And no, sorry! The single player will have any individuality and personality focus tested out of it and I'll end up with a k/d ratio of 0.00001 on the MP and lose patience with it.

Didn't you say Ghosts was the only Call of Duty you had played? It's widely regarded as the worst one for years, so I don't blame you for not wanting to play another one after experiencing Ghosts.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Today's okay. Already experienced one micro disaster in that one of the rubber plug things from my earbuds came off and I can't find it, so I can only listen to music in one ear now, meaning I can actually hear one side of the office, it's disgusting. Also forgot my cigarettes this morning so my walk home will be even less fun.

Tonight will be stay up for Gamescom like a good boy, ready to splash around in game side once it's done.

Watched Top Secret! the other night. Comedy by the same guys that did Airplane! and Naked Gun. Completely bonkers and it's apparent why it's less celebrated than stuff like Airplane! but it is hilarious at times, would recommend.

EDIT

I watched the CoD thing as well and overall it looks fun, if a sort of mish-mash of better ideas from existing games + double jumps.

Didn't you say Ghosts was the only Call of Duty you had played? It's widely regarded as the worst one for years, so I don't blame you for not wanting to play another one after experiencing Ghosts.

Top Secret is fun! Doesn't it have a ridiculous theme song too? I can sympathise regarding your earphone trouble, people are horrendous and even worse in packs.

Yes, Ghosts was my only one. I'm open minded - if this one is amazing then maybe I'll try it, but Ghosts got pretty good reviews too. I just don't have the time / skill to get good at the MP so it's just a frustrating series of spawns and deaths for me.

I was thinking about this autumn's releases and just wondering about how I might be developing an aversion to certain publishers. I absolutely have no interest (if anything I have negative interest) in any of the AAA Ubisoft games or the EA games. Hmm. Maybe it's just the lineups.

The thought of playing anything like AC4 fills me with melodramatic dread.

Top Secret is fun! Doesn't it have a ridiculous theme song too? I can sympathise regarding your earphone trouble, people are horrendous and even worse in packs.

Yes, Ghosts was my only one. I'm open minded - if this one is amazing then maybe I'll try it, but Ghosts got pretty good reviews too. I just don't have the time / skill to get good at the MP so it's just a frustrating series of spawns and deaths for me.

I was thinking about this autumn's releases and just wondering about how I might be developing an aversion to certain publishers. I absolutely have no interest (if anything I have negative interest) in any of the AAA Ubisoft games or the EA games. Hmm. Maybe it's just the lineups.

The thought of playing anything like AC4 fills me with melodramatic dread.

By the theme do you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af9N7UhTMA8

As for CoD... if twitchy multiplayer FPS isn't your thing there's little point since the story mode generally lasts all of 6 hours. It scratches a certain itch for me but suffers from it's limitations as well.

Ubisoft definitely puts me off these days. I just know future E3 presentations will be plagued not only by unending Assassin's Creed games but also by inevitable Watch Dogs sequels.

EA seems incapable of touching anything without turning it into either a monetised monstrosity or a yearly franchise or both.

Oh well.

Just finished listening to Microsoft's Gamescom presentation, it looks like the new Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive but it sounded for a minute awfully like a full exlcusive. Presentation was padded out with a lot of indies and bundle announcements. Quantum Break looks very generic, they somehow managed to make stopping time in a gunfight look dull. The only new announcement game-wise was something called ScreamRide which just looks like a more riddiculous version of Rollercoaster Tycoon. Trailer was pretty funny.

I think Sony's is on at some ungodly hour but I'll watch it anyway. Microsoft is definitely better at presentations though. If Sony's is anything like the others I'll be squirming in my seat as the presentation is plagued with a delayed start, poor camerawork, audio problems, incompetent live gameplay and awkwardly scripted moments from the presenters themselves. That'll all be rounded off with Andrew House waving his tiny hands and yapping impetuously about how "Playstation is the best place to play".

Nerdkiller

Membeur

As for CoD... if twitchy multiplayer FPS isn't your thing there's little point since the story mode generally lasts all of 6 hours. It scratches a certain itch for me but suffers from it's limitations as well.

Ubisoft definitely puts me off these days. I just know future E3 presentations will be plagued not only by unending Assassin's Creed games but also by inevitable Watch Dogs sequels.

EA seems incapable of touching anything without turning it into either a monetised monstrosity or a yearly franchise or both.

Oh well.

Just finished listening to Microsoft's Gamescom presentation, it looks like the new Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive but it sounded for a minute awfully like a full exlcusive. Presentation was padded out with a lot of indies and bundle announcements. Quantum Break looks very generic, they somehow managed to make stopping time in a gunfight look dull. The only new announcement game-wise was something called ScreamRide which just looks like a more riddiculous version of Rollercoaster Tycoon. Trailer was pretty funny.

I think Sony's is on at some ungodly hour but I'll watch it anyway. Microsoft is definitely better at presentations though. If Sony's is anything like the others I'll be squirming in my seat as the presentation is plagued with a delayed start, poor camerawork, audio problems, incompetent live gameplay and awkwardly scripted moments from the presenters themselves. That'll all be rounded off with Andrew House waving his tiny hands and yapping impetuously about how "Playstation is the best place to play".
I think it's because it is, from the looks of things.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-12-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-exclusive-to-xbox-one

Oli Welsh said:
This is not a timed exclusive, but a genuine one, as confirmed by Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," he writes. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

Apparently's Xbox's official line is that it's "exclusive on Xbox for holiday 2015" which implies a timed exclusive. But there's a thread for this full of conflicting twitter stuff.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Well, GotG was a lot of fun. James Gunn has a deft touch. Also, nice to see my wai-fu Karen Gillan kicking ass.

TLOU is one of the games I'm most looking forward to when I get ye old PS4. Multiplayer looks like a ton of fun.

By the way, how are the pigs?

NinjaBoiX

"Your love is like a studded leather headlock,
Your kisses could put creases in the rain,
You're rarer than a can of dandelion and burdock,
Those other girls are just post mix lemonade,"

Poetry Mr Turner, fucking poetry, haha.

Edit: to add to the CoD discussion, I think the new one looks pretty exciting to be fair, I'm intrigued.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Apart from the midges briefly making me feel like I was in a starving children charity begging video, it was great. Pretty sure most of gaf was southerners to me for the weekend!

Only managed one mountain (Ben Macdui) as Maria was a lot more out of shape than she thought. Scenery was amazing for most of the day, a shame visibility went to shit about twenty minutes from the summit.

She's determined to get back into shape and next time (yes, we've already decided we're going back) we'll do at least 3 munros in a day hike.

Sounds amazing. Did you take photos?

Oh well.

Aww. Poor Mr House. I like his tiny hands and big head and tinny voice. I wonder if he weighs more than 7 stone. I think the new CEO of SCEA is the kind of person that would stand on him without noticing.

I will try to check out that link (at work at the moment). I hope Sony have something nice to show. A big one for me is Smite going to Xbox. That would have been lovely to have on the PS4.

...and so it begins.

BURN THE XBOT! SOONY PURESUSTASHION FOR ALL OF TIMES!

Well, GotG was a lot of fun. James Gunn has a deft touch. Also, nice to see my wai-fu Karen Gillan kicking ass.

TLOU is one of the games I'm most looking forward to when I get ye old PS4. Multiplayer looks like a ton of fun.

Glad you enjoyed! I didn't realise it was her until afterwards.

Good re TLOU. It is the Best Game Ever so it is only right you look forward to it. Have you played it through before?

The pigs are very chirpy. They now sleep together, which is cute, but being young males they like to start fights with each other while awake. They also have no interest in food until the other starts eating, at which point they try and snatch it from the other's mouth. We were concerned that they might be trying to kill each other, but it's just blokes, really. At the end of the day they cuddle up together and go to sleep, so it's all just 'banter'. You can probably tell how much we've anthropomorphised them already...

P.S. I just thought I should mention that Fez is probably the Best Game Ever too. The soundtrack! The damn soundtrack! It's so good!

I think it's because it is, from the looks of things.

I'll be bit gutted if it's a full exclusive (not timed) cos I really enjoyed Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition earlier this year, and was looking forward to a sequel. I'm definitely not getting an Xbone so I'll miss out.

If it's a timed exclusive then I'm not fussed, I can wait.

Edit:
"Your love is like a studded leather headlock,
Your kisses could put creases in the rain,
You're rarer than a can of dandelion and burdock,
Those other girls are just post mix lemonade,"

Poetry Mr Turner, fucking poetry, haha.

Mardy Bum 4 lyfe

Hystzen

Karen was in new series of touch of cloth also damn fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom