• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Poet

Banned
XifHvBX.gif

That is the most frustrating gif I've seen in a while.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hey BritGAF, I like pretty much never post here but as I'm sure a few of you have just been accepted in to Uni this year just wanna check something.
IIRC you first pick five unis (I thought it was six when I did it) who will send you what they want from you They won't know who else you applied for and if you can't pick six just choose something to fill it out. I remember putting Kingston on my list even though I had no intention of going there. After you've received a response from these five you then pick your first and second. Remember the moment you pick these you've signed an agreement that you will go to them if you get the result Also the second choice is a backup so don't do what some people do and put a second choice that requires higher grades than the first.

SKINNER!

Banned
Hey BritGAF, I like pretty much never post here but as I'm sure a few of you have just been accepted in to Uni this year just wanna check something.

So when I applied to Uni 4 years ago you would apply for up to 5 places but then only pick between 2 places as your 1st and 2nd choice, essentially throwing away anything to do with the 3 you didn't pick.

Now my brother is going to be applying this year and whilst talking to him he seems to be convinced that 1st choice and 2nd choice means nothing as the Uni's you apply to can't see that information anyway and that if you get the results for any of the 5 you applied to, regardless of wether you made that Uni a 1st or 2nd choice, you will get in there.

So is this right? I mean I assume it's not as then why would anyone choose a 1st/2nd choice but thought I would ask as I didn't pay much attention to anything during my UCAS stuff and also I know how things are done can change.

All that UCAS shit doesn't matter anyway. Heard numerous cases where high school students just missed the entry requirements and (after crying their fucking eyes out) they went up to the Uni to tell them the situation and they got accepted anyway.

But to answer your question, your initial point made more sense than your brothers and - to be fair - so long as you got the good grades then surely you can get in to any university anyway. But wait, why bother about choices 3, 4 and 5 assuming choices 1 and 2 are the universities you REALLY want to get into?

but meh, I dunno. I live in Scotland. We get our uni education for free so we barely give a shit
until 3rd year
and just get tanked peshed.

Hobohodo

The second choice is a backup so don't do what some people do and put a second choice that requires higher grades than the first.

Yeah this is what sparked bringing this up with him, he was saying how he likes the look of these two courses in one Uni which require the same grades, and then another Uni which had lower grades, after his AS results yesterday suggesting maybe he needs to look at the lower grade Uni we thought we better make sure he is aware he would need to actually put it as a proper choice when he does the application process in a few months time, which is then when he hit us with this.

But wait, why bother about choices 3, 4 and 5 assuming choices 1 and 2 are the universities you REALLY want to get into?

Well yeah that's what I did when I applied, heck it was only 1 place I even went for, which is why I wanted to check I was remembering how it all works. Unfortunately my brother at the moment is looking to be a bit optimistic with where he wants to go, which would be fine if his second choice was going to be achievable. But he has it in his head that all 5 of his choices will count come results day next August so will probably have both 1st and 2nd as being optimistic.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
All that UCAS shit doesn't matter anyway. Heard numerous cases where high school students just missed the entry requirements and (after crying their fucking eyes out) they went up to the Uni to tell them the situation and they got accepted anyway.

Very true, I'm always telling pupils to talk to their unis. They want you, they want your money. If there's a way to get you on a course, they will bend over backwards to do it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The point of the additional choices is to start the applications. Remember before you give your first and second you need to go through interviews and whatnot which could affect what grades they will expect from you (Sometimes they offer you ABB for what is usually an AAB subject). Also sometimes two unis will have the same requirements so you may have to go with something else for your second choice because there's no point having two unis with the same requirement as both your choice.

Very true, I'm always telling pupils to talk to their unis. They want you, they want your money. If there's a way to get you on a course, they will bend over backwards to do it.
Didn't happen in my case when I actually got the results they wanted. I explained to them the mix up and they said to fax (what is this the 1900s?) my results in. They never got back to me. Whatever, got to go to a better uni thanks to clearing (and what would have been my second choice if it wasn't for a requirements clash)

NinjaBoiX

Albert Hall was pretty good last night. Sarah from Mint was coincidentally there for her first shift too, was a nice surprise! She'd just got back from Boomtown Tash, she said it was totes amazeballs and stuff.

It was a little simple and quiet at the bar, a lot of standing around but that's ideal if there is a good band on. I wasn't too keen on the main act (Beirut), but I liked the support act. She opened with this:

Denai Moore - Flaws

Lush.

Here is the calendar for the upcoming shows:

isuDBSN.jpg

The Horrors, SBTRKT, Johnny Greenwood, Lamb and Little Dragon, yes please. Fanx.
That is the most frustrating gif I've seen in a while.
It's a giftorial representation of afoni's love life.

NinjaBoiX

interpol whaaaaaat
Yup, those guys.
This Beirut?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYiCGLgRuAs

They're alright in my book, the lead singer's voice puts me off a little but I really like the backing band.
Yeah, that Beirut. Don't get me wrong, they were pretty good and put on a great show, just following Denai they seemed like a bit of a letdown to me. I'd never heard either of them before, I thought she was fantastic (and so unassuming, she came out, said "hi" very quietly, played for half an hour, then waved smiling as she walked off, bless her!) but they were just decent. I loved that they all play an instrument and there is loads of horns though. When they all started jamming it sounded wicked.
Not too shabby, been wanting to see Little Dragon for a while now, but never had the chance :( Yukimi <3

Also, John Lydon in conversation? Why would you pay for that? And claim to fame: he's my uncle's cousin #vaguelyrelated
Yeah, Little Dragon is cool.

NinjaBoiX

interpol and st vincent? and this place is in manchester? i knew this was a good idea.
Trof get all the best acts. You should see Deaf Institute's line up man, amaze. Welcome to Manchester innit! Marmozets opening night, two days after their debut LP launches. Those noisy, angry fuckers Marmozets!

tumblr_lg6qqdBXl21qa4yas.gif

Good luck with the move tomorrow boss, if you need a hand with anything I should be around during the day, shoot me a PM.
Didn't know Johnny Greenwood did solo stuff. I bet it's tres interesting.
Yeah man, he's been doing solo stuff for a while now. He scored There Will Be Blood a few years back.

Volotaire

Albert Hall was pretty good last night. Sarah from Mint was coincidentally there for her first shift too, was a nice surprise! She'd just got back from Boomtown Tash, she said it was totes amazeballs and stuff.

It was a little simple and quiet at the bar, a lot of standing around but that's ideal if there is a good band on. I wasn't too keen on the main act (Beirut), but I liked the support act. She opened with this:

Denai Moore - Flaws

Lush.

Here is the calendar for the upcoming shows:

isuDBSN.jpg

The Horrors, SBTRKT, Johnny Greenwood, Lamb and Little Dragon, yes please. Fanx.

I love SBTRKT, Little Dragon, St Vincent, one of the Sam's and Metrnomy.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Hey!

Thanks! Nottingham Uni, never Trent. :p

Nice. What are you studying?

Good to see Little Dragon get some mentions, I almost never see them mentioned despite their excellence.

All this talk of live bands really makes me regret not seeing arcade fire when I had the chance.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hot damn, have not stopped since 8am fucking knackered. Hopefully I can get all this shit done in the next hour and go home, had enough for one day. Had a horrible little cunt of a kid being a total dick to his mum in front of me while insisting that his C in Biology should have been an A*. I hope it does down to a D the little shit.

Volotaire

Hot damn, have not stopped since 8am fucking knackered. Hopefully I can get all this shit done in the next hour and go home, had enough for one day. Had a horrible little cunt of a kid being a total dick to his mum in front of me while insisting that his C in Biology should have been an A*. I hope it does down to a D the little shit.

Woah, you're the most feisty results guy I've come across. But that kid sounds like trouble.

We're all new. It's just crazy right now because we only opened yesterday.

Everybody's on horrible times. It'll calm down next week.

Retail is the worst. The management and the company will take advantage of you at every step to chase the movement carrot of productivity. In turn each layer of management is shat on by their superiors.

Just be glad they are long shifts, it took months for me to get shifts like that, and it's better your hours are condensed into long shifts as opposed to numerous short ones which stop you seizing the day!

8bit

Knows the Score
isuDBSN.jpg

FAC51, a bunch of fat old blokes swaying around trying to score E. And the Happy Mondays on stage.

--

He was an obnoxious little cock.

Anyway, this thread is giving me the giggles. For people into something so ridiculous, video game music fans are very defensive. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=874892

I like that your response to "look how fucking hip I am" is my trousers cost a tenner in tesco.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yer a bunch of fucking wind up artists.

I believe at least 60% of what I'm saying in that thread. The other 40% is a shit eating grin threatening to split my face in half.

Screaming Meat's manifesto is so good that I want it tattooed on my right palm so I can masturbate with it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Don't get me wrong, it's great. And I agree, Screaming Meat is a smart guy wot makes the gud metaphor and turn of phrase that I like.
At least he has nice handwriting and can still afford a pen and paper.
"....and that's why we need to cut the NHS"

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just want to say, "More specifically, I think that listening to video game music as a primary source of musical entertainment makes you intellectually and spiritually malnourished." is my favourite sentence I've written all year.

Hystzen

Man I hate reading music threads on OT makes me want type a 5000 word essay when people just lump metal all together instead knowing that screaming/rough vocals is not classed as metal it different genre.

Fucking hell some replys in that thread

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man I hate reading music threads on OT makes me want type a 5000 word essay when people just lump metal all together instead knowing that screaming/rough vocals is not classed as metal it different genre.

I love it, music is so subjective, such fun to write about and you can REALLY upset people if you do it right. Best way to kill an hour.

The_Poet

Banned

But metal is just people banging drums really fast. So skill involved

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Totally suck live. I suppose that's bound to happen with only one good album to their name.

Hey! Antics was alright.

I believe at least 60% of what I'm saying in that thread. The other 40% is a shit eating grin threatening to split my face in half.

Screaming Meat's manifesto is so good that I want it tattooed on my right palm so I can masturbate with it.

Everything Meat says is great. He is a connoisseur.

You have a point.

What people really ought to say is that most 100% of all metal music, across all sub genres, is fucking shit that only subhumans like.

But I think most people in these discussions lack the vocabulary to get that simple but elusive point across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom