• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
Gamescom was pretty chill.

14889206696_3a9be3f276_z.jpg

Damn you donkey show :p Well jelly here. Glad to hear and see that you're having fun at Gamescom :D

SmokyDave

Gamescom was pretty chill.

14889206696_3a9be3f276_z.jpg
Dude!

I wonder if you actually met an elaborate reconstruction created by a shadowy non-governmental organisation. I wonder if you're actually you, or whether you are your own father, cloned from your brothers arm, which was actually your fathers arm.

Woah.

Dude!

I wonder if you actually met an elaborate reconstruction created by a shadowy non-governmental organisation. I wonder if you're actually you, or whether you are your own father, cloned from your brothers arm, which was actually your fathers arm.

Woah.

This almost killed me. I nearly just choked to death on a cookie.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
AAAIndie lol

Minds blown!

If having smaller, lower budget games like those allows Sony to release stuff that isn't just a bunch of new
new entries into old IP, I'm not going to moan. Rime looks gorgeous.

Crackdown is nice, but I didn't even want a second helping of that, let alone a third. Dead Rising 3? I was done at 2. Titanfall? Fuck off. Scalebound is interesting alone just because of Kamiya, but I'm not going to care at all until I see some gameplay.

I'd much rather have a console that's littered with interesting smaller titles than one littered with just big budget titles that are designed to appeal to the generic consumer with guns and cinematic gameplay. Give me Rime over Tomb Raider (even though that's only timed) any day. Also, while we're on that, The Order looks terrible.

I'd bring Nintendo into this but they're like a bubble that just doesn't exist in comparisons. Nintendo are good at making software and the people who like it don't care if it's the same franchise every time. I'm always going to buy a Nintendo console, regardless.

You really hate cinematic games, don't you :p but I agree a bit about The Order. I hope they pull it off, the setting is a great idea. But the impressions I've read and the trailers I've seen aren't too interesting.

Separate note, we have a four year old playing with our guinea pigs. He is having a conversation with them about Iron Man. He is also dressed as Iron Man :)

Direct quote: "hi Mr orange I love you". :-D

afoni

Banned
You really hate cinematic games, don't you :p but I agree a bit about The Order. I hope they pull it off, the setting is a great idea. But the impressions I've read and the trailers I've seen aren't too interesting.

I don't hate cinematic games, I just wish people wouldn't use the whole "it's so cinematic" thing to justify a game that is otherwise a bit lacking.

With the A-level results this week, and me spending yet another weekend revising, it's made me think that if I went back in time to results day and told 18 year old me that in ten years I'd still be revising for exams...well, it'd just make me very depressed indeed.

It just never ends, does it? :-/

With the A-level results this week, and me spending yet another weekend revising, it's made me think that if I went back in time to results day and told 18 year old me that in ten years I'd still be revising for exams...well, it'd just make me very depressed indeed.

Yeah I was just thinking along those lines the other day. The grad scheme I'm starting next month will have me studying for a formal qualification for another three years!

Not that I dislike learning new things though, life would become dull if I just sat here content with everything I know to date!

Yeah I was just thinking along those lines the other day. The grad scheme I'm starting next month will have me studying for a formal qualification for another three years!

Not that I dislike learning new things though, life would become dull if I just sat here content with everything I know to date!

Oh sure, learning's great. It's just the jumping-through-hoops nature of exams that gets me down. I mean, I don't really have any better ideas on how to prove that you know something / are qualified to do something, but blehhh. It just wears me out sometimes.

Kudos on getting on a grad scheme though (I remember those being pretty competitive after uni, but I guess it depends on the sector). It's nice to have something to aim towards at least :)

Oh sure, learning's great. It's just the jumping-through-hoops nature of exams that gets me down. I mean, I don't really have any better ideas on how to prove that you know something / are qualified to do something, but blehhh. It just wears me out sometimes.

Kudos on getting on a grad scheme though (I remember those being pretty competitive after uni, but I guess it depends on the sector). It's nice to have something to aim towards at least :)

No I understand, a lot of exam feel like they're more about proving your ability to retain and recite information than demonstrating your understanding of the knowledge. Thankfully the grad scheme I'm on includes on the job training, which is brilliant as I need to actively use information to both understand and remember it!

Thanks! It isn't the biggest nor most well known in the sector, but it's a decent size, and I have a really good feeling about it!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

What are you studying for, Mr Quiche? Don't you do something not dissimilar to me?

Looks like Sony's Japan studio is helping to develop The Tomorrow Children.

Ah. Thanks. Even more interested now. I wonder if Sony Japan worked with Q on the pixeljunk games. They must've done.

I don't hate cinematic games, I just wish people wouldn't use the whole "it's so cinematic" thing to justify a
game that is otherwise a bit lacking.

That's understandable.

My pet hate is 'cinematic' games that really just ape tired Hollywood tropes. It's lazy, derivative and insulting to the intelligence. Whenever I play a game like that, it makes me wonder whether I am too old to be playing anything. And I'm not even that old.

PS congrats Little Old Man and jealous at Donkey Show!

Hystzen

Just watched Thor: The Dark World. Am I still the one guy who just doesn't get the appeal of Loki?

Nope I'm same him being shoved into movie fucked up everything. Could spend some scenes actually developing Malketh or Dark Elves in general. Instead we got Loki is here guys you liked him in Thor and avengers we know this because of tumblr

afoni

Banned
That's understandable.

My pet hate is 'cinematic' games that really just ape tired Hollywood tropes. It's lazy, derivative and insulting to the intelligence. Whenever I play a game like that, it makes me wonder whether I am too old to be playing anything. And I'm not even that old.

I think I'm just getting a bit bored of games that feel so similar because they're trying their best to not feel like games. It's why I've been pretty into RPGs recently, because everyone knows that RPGs have dumb as shit stories and are better at showcasing themselves as games, because if the gameplay doesn't hold up in an RPG there's not much else to hold it up and it just becomes boring as shit for a LARGE number of hours.

I want more games like Kid Icarus Uprising to rears their heads, by which I mean I want to see genres that haven't been touched for years injected with something new to create something interesting and unique. The game was like Starfox meets F2P online Korean TPS games like S4 League. I'll take that any day over some setpiecey bullshit.

Now, just so I can meet a quota of seriousness to bullshit ratio.

My pet hate is 'cinematic' games that really just ape tired Hollywood tropes.

NQYUGKE.jpg

What are you studying for, Mr Quiche? Don't you do something not dissimilar to me?

Patent attorney (or patent agent if you're old skool). I guess it's kinda similar to you in that it's kinda legal (classified under "Other Lawyers" under the Legal Services Act). I'm so nearly there, but I've got four more "final" exams to pass (and then there's European qualifying exams, litigation certificates, etc....)

Patent attorney (or patent agent if you're old skool). I guess it's kinda similar to you in that it's kinda legal (classified under "Other Lawyers" under the Legal Services Act). I'm so nearly there, but I've got four more "final" exams to pass (and then there's European qualifying exams, litigation certificates, etc....)

Without knowing squat about law as a subject.....damn son.

So at this stage of your education/career I guess you're covering lots of very technical and detail laws plus learning lots of precedents from prior rulings?

Without knowing squat about law as a subject.....damn son.

So at this stage of your education/career I guess you're covering lots of very technical and detail laws plus learning lots of precedents from prior rulings?

To be honest precedents from prior rulings aren't a major feature of the exams I'll be doing at the end of Sept. They're more practical exams dealing with the day-to-day activities of an attorney. There's four of them: specification drafting, infringement + validity, amendment of specs, and a patent agents practice paper. You might cite case law in that last one, but ALL the papers are very much geared towards practical application, so advising a client. You won't get marks for merely reciting the Windsurfing/Pozzoli test for inventive step, you've got to apply it in the specific circumstance, come to a conclusion that you can justify, and advise accordingly. Interestingly, the emphasis is more on the reasoning given rather than the particular conclusion drawn, so you'll get two past papers, one saying a claim is infringed, the other saying it isn't, and they both passed!

The exams are hard as balls though (often having pass rates in the 30% range), so I'm stressing like crazy about passing.

To be honest precedents from prior rulings aren't a major feature of the exams I'll be doing at the end of Sept. They're more practical exams dealing with the day-to-day activities of an attorney. There's four of them: specification drafting, infringement + validity, amendment of specs, and a patent agents practice paper. You might cite case law in that last one, but ALL the papers are very much geared towards practical application, so advising a client. You won't get marks for merely reciting the Windsurfing/Pozzoli test for inventive step, you've got to apply it in the specific circumstance, come to a conclusion that you can justify, and advise accordingly. Interestingly, the emphasis is more on the reasoning given rather than the particular conclusion drawn, so you'll get two past papers, one saying a claim is infringed, the other saying it isn't, and they both passed!

The exams are hard as balls though (often having pass rates in the 30% range), so I'm stressing like crazy about passing.

All sounds really interesting! So basically your knowledge on prior cases et al is expected to be up to snuff, as these tests are geared towards demonstrating how well you'll do day to day as a patent attorney?

Good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll feel amazing once they're boxed off!

Vashetti

Banned
Bit of a stretch, but has anyone in here ever worked for Co-op before? If so, how do I go about getting my card for the employee discounts?

Volotaire

I was thinking of actuarial work as one option after university, it's very big money. But it's yet another 3-6 years of revising after university.

7aged

Football season started. Went off to watch QPR. The result didn't go my way, but still good times. We ended up at Brewdogs afterwards having drinks, eating brisket (so good), and playing Barbie Uno!

Football season started. Went off to watch QPR. The result didn't go my way, but still good times. We ended up at Brewdogs afterwards having drinks, eating brisket (so good), and playing Barbie Uno!

I loved watching the World Cup. When it comes to the standard football season/leagues though it's not the same, despite the big clubs throwing money about like Bill Gates after snorting coke. This video sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM
Plus I'm salty that I don't have Sky Sports or anything to watch it.

7aged

I loved watching the World Cup. When it comes to the standard football season/leagues though it's not the same, despite the big clubs throwing money about like Bill Gates after snorting coke. This video sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM
Plus I'm salty that I don't have Sky Sports or anything to watch it.

True, the world cup is a different experience. But league football has it's own appeal. Plus tickets at QPR aren't too expensive.

lbp3 is a collaborative effort between sumo and koji pro?

confirmed

Cardboard box dlc

Damn you donkey show :p Well jelly here. Glad to hear and see that you're having fun at Gamescom :D

Was a long week, but yeah it was good. People are loving some LBP3. :)

Also, did a little boogie on our live twitch stream the other day, lol.

http://zippy.gfycat.com/GroundedDismalBillygoat.webm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePLtSxYgUGw#t=1694

Dude!

Woah.

images_(2).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom