• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
I like this GIF!

Ah...if you don't have the patience for it, then it might not be much fun. if something has you stuck, it's probably best to go on a wander somewhere else - not everything can be solved straight away.

Everyone respects beards.

I played it on the 360 for the first hour or so while slightly drunk, went back to it the following evening and had no idea what was going on. Gave up.

NinjaBoiX

Fez is pretty and a clever idea, but it's just no fun. It's like the video game equivalent of an exam. Exams are pants.

I'm not going to go on a Walking Dead style "it's so shit, my god!" rant, because it's clearly incredibly well thought out and lovingly crafted. It just doesn't dip my biscuit.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You Fez - ists!

I am ok with you disliking something I like.

PS Vashetti, just read your post. It feels to me like you might be overreacting a bit because you're sensitive about your new job.

I know what it's like to huff away (I've done it a few times here!) but maybe take a few days, exhale and come on back.

I don't know Co-ops policy, but at Sainsburys and Morrisons check-outs they ask if you need help packing...

I liked Fez (would've liked it even more if it was free!). First game I've played in years where you really needed a pen and pad next to you (to scribble down RLLRRL...). Some of those anti-cubes / hypercubes / whatevers are ridiculous - I don't know how anyone figured them out. But it's pretty easy and fun to '100%' it.

Reknoc

Morrisons definitely always ask but I'm just like "naw, I got dis" and then proceed to silently hope they're the type to already open the bag otherwise I'm in for like, a good minute of awkward fumbling.

Morrisons definitely always ask but I'm just like "naw, I got dis" and then proceed to silently hope they're the type to already open the bag otherwise I'm in for like, a good minute of awkward fumbling.

Lol, same.

I'm always surprised by Americans who are outraged at bagging their own groceries, like it's beneath them or something. I'd feel super-awkward just standing there while the check-out person does everything. Seriously, what else is there to do during that time? Check your phone? Look at the expiry date on your debit card?

SmokyDave

Fucking Mondays, man. Fucking Mondays. Dragged from my little baby and thrust into the working world. Sigh. Maybe I should win the lottery.

Ah well. I think I'll order Piranha 3DD to cheer myself up.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Fez is pretty and a clever idea, but it's just no fun. It's like the video game equivalent of an exam. Exams are pants.

I'm not going to go on a Walking Dead style "it's so shit, my god!" rant, because it's clearly incredibly well thought out and lovingly crafted. It just doesn't dip my biscuit.

You sound like a special needs kid ragging on maths. Fez is the truth and the light.

Edit: also watched Crank 2 last night, it was amazing. So violent and filled with boobs and testicle abuse, refreshingly puerile.

I like this GIF!

Ah...if you don't have the patience for it, then it might not be much fun. if something has you stuck, it's probably best to go on a wander somewhere else - not everything can be solved straight away.

I-I'm not c-c-casual I swear!

Edit: also watched Crank 2 last night, it was amazing. So violent and filled with boobs and testicle abuse, refreshingly puerile.

Crank 2 is glorious. Watched it high and was convinced I'd just imagined some of the bits in it. Nope, the film is just that crazy. I really hope they make a third.

NinjaBoiX

Fez is the best adventure game in years. If you want a game that's a chore to play go and pick up Braid.
How is Braid a chore to play? I'm not saying it's particularly amazing or anything (I loved it) but it's certainly not a chore to play. It's a fairly straightforward puzzle game that takes like 3 hours to finish.

Fez is a mindfuck of dimension twisting, code deciphering, convoluted map reading insanity. Any video game that requires that you take out a pen and paper and start taking notes is objectively a chore to play.

How are you supposed to eat Cheetos, chug Mountain Dew and take notes at the same time?

afoni

Banned
Fez is a mindfuck of dimension twisting, code deciphering, convoluted map reading insanity. Any video game that requires that you take out a pen and paper and start taking notes is objectively a chore to play.
And it's a beautiful experience because of how reminiscent of the old school it is. Braid is just an arty platformer with repetitive mechanics. If a game over twice the size of Braid can be ten times more compelling, then that's a strike for Braid. Fez actually makes you think.

Pretty sure Jed and I broke out mad loads of A4 for that game. It's a damn shame that Phil Fish won't make Fez 2. It might have been something special.

But then again you're a TLOU apologist, so I don't expect much in the way of positivity for a game that wants you to think.

IGNORE LAST PARAGRAPH IT IS NOT SERIOUS

Hystzen

Oh it that time month for a Vash blow out same time next month then.

Only indie really liked is Don't Starve not really into indies

I'll play Fez for the sake of playing it unless I get to a point where it's no longer fun.

I don't have the willpower to bother with the pen and paper stuff. At the moment I just like the platforming, it's neat. Never played Braid.

Moving away from mind numbing indie trash;

I might have asked this already by the way but is anyone else interested in Driveclub? I've poked around in the threads and sweet Jesus, Mary and Jospeh the game looks incredible visually. I really don't care for racing games that much except for Wipeout, Burnout and Crash Team Racing. But that game looks great and I want to play it.

Considering we'll get a free-if-somewhat-gimped version of the game with PS+ it seems like we could all have a go without cost. For the free trial and full game if people like it enough I propose we form our own #club complete with hash-tag for full trendyness.

Well I say all of us, some here have not yet purchased their Playstaion 4s yet. I can only assume these people are dirt poor and that's a shame. I read somewhere that the poor can't read text in italics.

it's not a shame, I'm sure the smelly peasants will have more fun gnawing turnips in the rain, it's really for the best that our online gaming experiences aren't sullied by their rank odour and feeble wit.

I hope you guys are saving up so you can join in some day!

Fucking gross, I feel like I need a shower

Fucking Mondays, man. Fucking Mondays. Dragged from my little baby and thrust into the working world. Sigh. Maybe I should win the lottery.

Ah well. I think I'll order Piranha 3DD to cheer myself up.

Haven't seen 3DD, but that one scene in Piranha 3D with Kelly Brook underwater pretty much justified that whole short lived 3D-cinema fad as far as I'm concerned.

Edit:

I'm up for a Britgaf #club Daps. I bought a new headset months ago, which I think I ended up using for ONE sesh of Mercenary Kings and it's just been gathering dust since.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

zCiblLL.gif

Fez was fun up until the point where the platforming ended and the "oh shit I need to use my brain" stuff began

and that point came sooner than I was hoping :|

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
In t'olden days, we had t'draw our own maps on squared paper with real pens and that. When there were no squared paper 'bout, me and my brother would use a biro and a safety pin to tattoo 'em on our bodies. I tell ya, my left thigh looks like t'Circle and District because of Dungeon Master.

You lot don't know ye were born.

NinjaBoiX

It wasn't even a puzzle that had me stumped in Fez, just generally traversing the world:

*walks through door*

*appears somewhere entirely different*

*goes back through the same door minutes later and appears somewhere else again*

*opens map to be confronted with a big confusing mass of cubes connected by lines*

F05FnpC.jpg

Braid is just an arty platformer with repetitive mechanics. If a game over twice the size of Braid can be ten times more compelling, then that's a strike for Braid. Fez actually makes you think.
But weren't Fez's mechanics basically "walk, jump, twist world" the whole way through? Braid introduced new time twisting mechanics in every world, it never played the same way for longer than half an hour or so.

Also, I'm not saying it was as complex or intellectually stimulating as Fez, but "Braid doesn't even make you think" is just flat out nonsense.

Hystzen

It's people like me and ninja that make Phil Fish keep screaming on twitter that people don't deserve FEZ2

(Not the racist shit he screams about that's Coldmans fault)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'll play Fez for the sake of playing it unless I get to a point where it's no longer fun.

I don't have the willpower to bother with the pen and paper stuff. At the moment I just like the platforming, it's neat. Never played Braid.

I might have asked this already by the way but is anyone else interested in Driveclub? I've poked around in the threads and sweet Jesus, Mary and Jospeh the game looks incredible visually. I really don't care for racing games that much except for Wipeout, Burnout and Crash Team Racing. But that game looks great and I want to play it.

Considering we'll get a free-if-somewhat-gimped version of the game with PS+ it seems like we could all have a go without cost. For the free trial and full game if people like it enough I propose we form our own #club complete with hash-tag for full trendyness.

Well I say all of us, some here have not yet purchased their Playstaion 4s yet. I can only assume these people are dirt poor and that's a shame. I read somewhere that the poor can't read text in italics.

it's not a shame, I'm sure the smelly peasants will have more fun gnawing turnips in the rain, it's really for the best that our online gaming experiences aren't sullied by their rank odour and feeble wit.

I thought pretty much the same as you re Fez, but that shit sucked me in. The whole game is navigable without the note-taking, so take your time and explore. The map eventually will make the most sense of any map you have ever used. And by the time you get all the cubes, pennies will start to drop about what all the symbols around you mean and you'll get sucked in.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Jed, you e-mailed Punching Swans, yeah? I spoke to Joe the other day. He's looking in to sorting it out. I'm playing with them this Friday, I believe.

18 games completed this year and my PS3 collection is still huge. I'll get a PS4 when it's finished, or for Uncharted 4, whichever happens first.
so u4 tbh.

Plus I am technically too poor until I start this job next month :(

Man, just came across a job offer for pretty much the exact thing I've been doing for 16 months now that pays double what I was getting.

Only trouble is...it's in Maidenhead, I don't have a car and I don't know if I can trust myself to get up to make a commute like that. Damn I need a car like, pronto.

The_Poet

Banned
Man, just came across a job offer for pretty much the exact thing I've been doing for 16 months now that pays double what I was getting.

Only trouble is...it's in Maidenhead, I don't have a car and I don't know if I can trust myself to get up to make a commute like that. Damn I need a car like, pronto.

Move to maidenhead?

afoni

Banned
But whatever, both are fine puzzles games, it's just I'm only smart enough to enjoy one of them!

That's an objectively subjective way to put it.

Braid didn't really push any buttons for me. It didn't really matter if it had some clever ideas, because in the end it was just an incredibly boring experience with nice music to me. Fez was interesting partly because it wasn't just a straight up platformer. There was a bit of mystery to everything in Fez, which made it compelling and, something I can't really say about Braid, thought provoking.

Things actually felt like puzzles you had to work out, not just remedial tasks that use basic mechanics, and that was something incredibly refreshing for a game in 2012. It was the first TRUE adventure game that'd come out in a long time.

8bit

Knows the Score

Man, if it pays double then put the extra into a car fund and get something cheap but roadworthy enough to do you for a while.

NinjaBoiX

Go for it Daps! Mo money son.

Fez is cool, I can totally appreciate it. I'm just a dumbass.
That's worthy of Churchill, man.
Thanks man, it just came to me. I've heard some classics in the last few days:

"Every bruise is the shape of her heart." - Mikeside on a girl beating him up

"Analysis is paralysis." - jimbor on over thinking stuff

"I expect others will take your side, because of who you are and your presence in here, but I'm not trying to start anything or bring up the 'sides' notion regardless." - Vashetti's beautifully contradictory statement on being a minge

Reknoc

I hope you fez fucks buy la-mulana when it comes to vita, or right now, or whatever. They're not really comparable but... whatever buy la-mulana.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I might (might) be interested. The club stuff sounds cool but I'm not into cars or racing games. No harm in trying it though and it does look stunning. Aren't they individually rendering each cloud or something?

Hystzen

Man what is and MILFs being attracted to me. Every girl who has interest has a kid even online dating sites the MILFs message me.

NinjaBoiX

Hey man, yummy mummys are the hotness, that innate maternal instinct is so sexy to me. Sammy is awesome with her kids, so attentive, patient and kind-hearted, I find it incredibly attractive.

Whenever is see her all gooey eyed with little Ava, peppering her face with kisses and bouncing her slightly in her arms I'm all...

BrDzZNF.jpg

Move to maidenhead?

I'd really rather not if I don't have to. I like where I live at the moment, there's more for me here than just a job. I like who I live with and who I live near. The job offer itself is another contract. It's for 6 months work but apparently likely to roll over for longer.

Man, if it pays double then put the extra into a car fund and get something cheap but roadworthy enough to do you for a while.

I'm kind of embarassed that I can't drive to be honest. Almost everyone I know got their license while they were studying for their A levels. That the money is twice my current wage is too good to pass up.

I might (might) be interested. The club stuff sounds cool but I'm not into cars or racing games. No harm in trying it though and it does look stunning. Aren't they individually rendering each cloud or something?

I'll take that a cast iron guarantee, I expect you to live up to your word.

But seriously, the PS+ offer could potentially do what the Destiny Beta did, let people have a go for free and make up their mind to buy it AFTER they've played it.

And yes I think Evolution did some crazy stuff, like consulting NASA to make sure their night time constellations were correct, and lots of weird stuff with dynamic clouds, and the extensive audio recordings they did for the cars amount to the best recorded audio that exists for some of these cars anywhere in the world. I'm gushing like a mountain stream I know.

EDIT

Also on the job front, I've been told by my web of spies that a guy from the agency offering the job is expecting a phone call from me this afternoon.

http://gifsoup.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom