• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Poet

Banned
I thought it was agreed that these are the best biscuits.

118273.jpg

I got so fed up of eating bourbons as a child. I don't think I could bother eating them again today.

My school used to give out cheap asda brand bourbons and custard creams at morning playtime. Was a pretty good time all round.

But yeh I think I'm sick of them now too

jimbor

Banned
Man what is and MILFs being attracted to me. Every girl who has interest has a kid even online dating sites the MILFs message me.

I'd take a guess at your musical taste reminding them of a stroppy teenager that needs mothering.

Also, welcome back Vashetti, the thread missed you on your break!

NinjaBoiX

I'm imagining how they both taste and my brain tells me this may be true, but my heart refuses to believe it.
Nah, Oreo's are a little saltier and have vanilla buttercream, bourbons are sweeter and have chocolate buttercream.

Custard Creams are better than them both.

7aged

I used to be mad for choc hobnobs when I was growing up, but I've gone off them. They're too sickly sweet for me now.

Biscuits of choice ATM are dark chocolate gingers:
Border+Biscuits+Dark+Chocolate+Gingers3.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
How on earth would we know that? Expect around 10-15 C with chance of rain.

We... we kind of know what kind of temperatures to expect around October over here :-| (but I was kind of messing with you lot, I already know that British weather is kind of unpredictable even during Summer).

Volotaire

We... we kind of know what kind of temperatures to expect around October over here :-| (but I was kind of messing with you lot, I already know that British weather is kind of unpredictable even during Summer).

Sorry, in a bit of a bad mood today. My sarcasm detector is also broken today.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So, I want to talk about X-Com, the new one. Love this game. Played half of it on 360, then all of it on iPad (because touch is THE BEST way to play turn based games and anyone who says otherwise is a dick) and now I'm playing through Enemy Within on PS3. I thought it'd be a new campaign but it's kinda better and worse than that, in that you're starting from scratch again with the tech tree and missions, but now you have a whole bunch of new mission types and technologies in there too (like Mechs and genetic engineering and covert missions etc). Been loving the shit out of it, put about 20 hours in until last night -

I'm scanning for new missions and suddenly there's a cutscene. What's going on? X-Com command is under attack! All my shit is blowing up, aliens are invading OMG. Then a level loads up and it starts - no choosing your soldiers and outfitting them (I've prided myself on getting Titan armour and plasma weapons early), the level loads up and there's a random collection of your dudes all with basic weapons and armour. And we proceed to get fucked from every direction by mechs and mutons and flying discs, it's horrifying. All my majors died, and everyone else as well. And it never seemed to end, endless waves of new enemies and my soldiers spawning in to be cut apart, soldiers I've spent over 20 hours building them up, perfecting my rotating balanced teams.

So I quit out, will go back and set up so I at least have my best guys kitted out well. But this was simultaneously an awesome idea and totally horrible. If that was an ironman playthrough I would have game-over'd right there after 20 odd hours. That ain't right.

Anyone else played Enemy Within and want to share your apocalypse story?

Hystzen

So, I want to talk about X-Com, the new one. Love this game. Played half of it on 360, then all of it on iPad (because touch is THE BEST way to play turn based games and anyone who says otherwise is a dick) and now I'm playing through Enemy Within on PS3. I thought it'd be a new campaign but it's kinda better and worse than that, in that you're starting from scratch again with the tech tree and missions, but now you have a whole bunch of new mission types and technologies in there too (like Mechs and genetic engineering and covert missions etc). Been loving the shit out of it, put about 20 hours in until last night -

I'm scanning for new missions and suddenly there's a cutscene. What's going on? X-Com command is under attack! All my shit is blowing up, aliens are invading OMG. Then a level loads up and it starts - no choosing your soldiers and outfitting them (I've prided myself on getting Titan armour and plasma weapons early), the level loads up and there's a random collection of your dudes all with basic weapons and armour. And we proceed to get fucked from every direction by mechs and mutons and flying discs, it's horrifying. All my majors died, and everyone else as well. And it never seemed to end, endless waves of new enemies and my soldiers spawning in to be cut apart, soldiers I've spent over 20 hours building them up, perfecting my rotating balanced teams.

So I quit out, will go back and set up so I at least have my best guys kitted out well. But this was simultaneously an awesome idea and totally horrible. If that was an ironman playthrough I would have game-over'd right there after 20 odd hours. That ain't right.

Anyone else played Enemy Within and want to share your apocalypse story?

It was my GOTY last year love it so much.

Naming your soldiers after people you know makes it more fun. Fuck Mechtoids on that base defend mission basic X-com staff (some men you control are not squad members just regular dudes who work at your base) with nothing to penetrate their armour is a bitch on Classic

I think it happens in August so you can plan ahead with right gear.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I love EW. Love the tactical side but wish it had the original's strategic layer stuff. It was ridiculously deep.

I named mine after X-Men. #geekcrimes

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It was my GOTY last year love it so much.

Naming your soldiers after people you know makes it more fun. Fuck Mechtoids on that base defend mission basic X-com staff (some men you control are not squad members just regular dudes who work at your base) with nothing to penetrate their armour is a bitch on Classic

I think it happens in August so you can plan ahead with right gear.

Yeah my previous save is only a mission before so I'm going to do that again and then set a new save up. Outfit my guys ahead of time too. Won't feel quite so brutal that way. I was gobsmacked, so upset. Although there was one awesome bit where my best heavy was surrounded by chrysalids, poisoned and with one health, so I had him drop a grenade and took the whole lot out in a blaze of glory. That kind of death I can accept. My best Major Assault getting reamed by two mechs was just too much sadness to take though.

Hystzen

What Second Wave options you rolling with?

I tend use not created equally it randomises your Rookies stats some better then others. getting a fresh sniper with 80+ aim is a godsend on Classic.

Phone interview with agency went pretty well. I only dropped my spaghetti once. The guy was impressed with my P&G record, said it would go down well with the organisation I'd be working for, Johnson & Johnson. So he asks what it is about pharmacovigilance I like and whether I'd pursue it as a long term career. I said something like;

"Well you know, I like the job and the field I work in, I probably would have preferred to be an astronaut though heh heh."

Polite laughter on the other end of the line.

*cringe*

Still, they have my CV now, fuck it.

If all goes well I could start in mid September, so minimum time off work and the actual paid leave I've accrued at P&G could cover my time out of work.

I'm still flustered as fuck.

8bit

Knows the Score
Phone interview with agency went pretty well. I only dropped my spaghetti once. The guy was impressed with my P&G record, said it would go down well with the organisation I'd be working for, Johnson & Johnson. So he asks what it is about pharmacovigilance I like and whether I'd pursue it as a long term career. I said something like;

"Well you know, I like the job and the field I work in, I probably would have preferred to be an astronaut though heh heh."

*cringe*

If all goes well I could start in mid September, so minimum time off work and the actual paid leave I've accrued at P&G could cover my time out of work.

Didn't realise you were Pharma, I think Maidenhead is pretty much where everyone in that field is nowadays (in the UK anyway).

Hystzen

Also Jed if want see some disaster X-Com videos give this a try he playing it on Impossible with Ironman but some good advice is given if he was playing on anything but Impossible he be cleaning up

*cringe*

That's not too bad of a line haha. At worst they'll assume you were nervous.

Just finishing off my presentation for an interview I have for a different job tomorrow. If they offered me this one I'm honestly not sure which I would pick!

It's a shame I'm taking this interview seriously, otherwise I'd put some proper wacky transitions into this PowerPoint. Really show them what that bit of software can do.

8bit

Knows the Score
Ho! How was your not so recent holiday?

Heyo! Yeah, it was fun. Mostly relaxing by/in the pool, playing FTL and eating ridiculously over the top food like carpaccio stuffed with foie gras while the children were occupied in a kids club thing. And one night my son ended up in the epicentre of a battle, so kids fight club. Can't really complain, he burst some wee shit's nose after being jumped.

Apart from that, back to work to remember what I forgot and more interviews. Also trying to make my way through Julian Cope's time travel rave novel. How are you?

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Yeah I tried to prep myself for questions but I got a bit gabbly nonetheless.

Part of me getting this job will be doing a formal interview which is gonna be hard because I'll be talking to the people who live and breath pharma talk and I tend to get by with "you know, the thing with the stuff" rather than rattling off acronyms and terminology.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Also Jed if want see some disaster X-Com videos give this a try he playing it on Impossible with Ironman but some good advice is given if he was playing on anything but Impossible he be cleaning up

Sweet I'll give that a watch. I just completed the mission, took over an hour and it was gruelling but worth it. Only lost one real soldier and he went out like a champ. The rookies also did themselves proud as disposable fodder, took out more than their fair share of asshole dickhead alien bastards.

Now to watch Big Brother, woooo

That's not too bad of a line haha. At worst they'll assume you were nervous.

Just finishing off my presentation for an interview I have for a different job tomorrow. If they offered me this one I'm honestly not sure which I would pick!

It's a shame I'm taking this interview seriously, otherwise I'd put some proper wacky transitions into this PowerPoint. Really show them what that bit of software can do.

Interviewing? I thought you started a grad scheme next month?

Tres cheeky. But if it's better than the grad scheme, why not? Good luck!

As for the PowerPoint transitions, come on. Star wipe - every time.

It's a job that prior to interview I believe I'll enjoy more, and it also pays more now. In the future however the grad scheme I have (A) pays a lot more.

Progression is different, grad scheme A being a larger company will likely put opportunities my way and mould me into one area or another. Grad scheme B is a smaller company where I get the impression that jobs and pay scales are more organically created, i.e. if I want a pay rise or promotion I've got to really push for it, and validate my request!

IF I got offered B I don't know which I'd choose. Would I be kicking myself ten or twenty years down the line for not picking the money, or would I be better off and not absolutely loving the job, merely finding it decent and wondering 'what if'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom