• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hello my rainy friends!

ManchesterGAF posting here for the first time.# Anyone down to the Play Expo in a few weeks at Event City?

Hello! Mancunian here too. Yes, why not!

Okay, you HAVE to share that.

Also, how could Thurston have an affair! SWINE.

Actually... that’s a bloody good list. Hits of Sunshine, Free City Rhymes, Death Valley ‘69 and Expressway to yr Skull are all personal favourites. World Looks Red still shits all over them X

Ciccone Youth! XD

Hahah! Two cool rock chicks listening to Neu! Did you hear their Fall covers EP? There's an amazing Rouche! Rumble! Rouche! Rumble!

Lol, another attempt to get the Manchester lot together.

Best of luck to ya ninj

Hey! WHAT DO YOU WANT MICHAEL IRONSIDE OUR HEADS ON A PLATTER?

Welcome fellow Mancunian!

I'd probably be up for this, could make a little meet out of it. Fancy it sploatee, show me your skeleton, CHEEZMO, Little Old Man, Hystzen, SteveWD40?

Sat 11th - Sun 12th October, Event City - Old Trafford.

Welcome to you too! New faces are good.

I'm in, yes!

Volotaire

What was that programme on the BBC where those 3 people helped renovate gardens? It ended about 5-7 years back.

Well, I love renovation programmes such as Grand Designs, Antiques Roadshow, Flog It other house programmes.

Hystzen

SQ4mhSW.gif

Re watched Spartacus still a stupid, fun and crazy show that finale was awesome even if knew the outcome

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Mate, I know. I had just glanced at your post in class without even registering a screen name and already my fingers had typed up 2 paragraphs on mobileGAF and hit send before I realized you said "that followed". Srs business. Also makes me glad I haven't bothered to see either of the new Spidey films.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
NG FOR LYFE.

Reknoc is 'round our way too. There are a few Nottinghamians on gaming side.

I like how Nottingham tourist board put in place their 'mystery one-way visual tour of Nottingham'. It isn't well signposted from the motorway, but that doesn't matter because as soon as you drive anywhere near the City Centre you are automatically directed to it and can't get off it no matter how hard you try.

Genius really. Does occasionally get a teensy bit in the way of actually going to a place you want to, but the scenery as you pass by makes it all worthwhile

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Thought you guys would enjoy this uni story cyclops posted in MY SECOND EVER |OT|

have at it

OK, I have a little story. Not about fresher's week specifically, but about living in halls in the first year.

So my next door neighbour and I were friends (we did the same course) and we lived in a shared space with seventeen people sharing a kitchen (and three toilets, two showers). Needless to say, it was a bit wild-west'ish. The odd little bit of food or drink used to go missing but in the grand scheme of things, considering the number of people, it wasn't a big deal. This kitchen and subsequent rooms were in a building with 3 floors, each floor having 3 of these kitchens, so a total of 9 kitchens and approximately 150 people.

Anyway, my chum here had a car, which was fairly exciting. This meant we used to go to Asda at 3am and get all the reduced food and whatnot (including one January when we went in there and was staring at all the half-price Christmas food inc these microwavable burgers and hotdogs. We were musing about whether they were any good and the guy working there, on his knees next to us, just said "don't bother, they're fuckin' shit" without even looking at us) but that's for another time. What we DID used to do, though, was drive all the way to Ikea to buy Kopparberg. This was back in 2006 when the only place you could get it was in Spoons and Ikea. So we went there, probably a 2 hour round trip or so, and bought 16 cans or so.

One night, we came home and our last 2 cans were missing from the fridge. We were outraged! We were hurt! We were spurned. Dejected, we started organising our next trip to Ikea for new ones whilst sleuthing our way around the kitchen, trying to work out who might have taken them. The problem was, whilst the kitchen doors were locked, most of the time they were left on the latch because the heavy door would slam locked and taking the keys with you every time with a pain. Between that and the extremely heavy footfall, they were typically rarely locked; This meant our suspects could be any of the 150 people in the building.

So we were back to Ikea, another 2 hour round trip and this time we hid it all (24 cans this time) in our cupboards, behind all the tesco carrier bags and 5kg sacks of pasta, and we thought we were safe. We came back the next day and they were gone. They were all gone.

Something changed in us that day.

It was a pretty significant financial outlay for us students, but more than that, it was disrespectful to our time. From that day on we went full-on shock and awe. The only way we could be sure of getting revenge on our persecutors was to target everyone; The hunted were to become the hunters. From then on, we basically executed a tri-weekly blitz of various kitchens in the building, stealing anything from booze to bags of ice cubes, petit pois, bernard matthews turkey dinosaurs and vienetta. Anything was fair game. We recruited petty gang members to assist us, and we'd scope out the joint before attacking, and we had contingency after contingency based on what we found and how our possible interactions with kitchen inhabitants.

A typical scenario would be thus. We - a group of maybe four of us - would walk quietly around the halls until we found a kitchen with the door on the latch. We'd hang around for a second to see if we could hear anything inside, and then I - alone - would walk in. All the kitchens had corner areas so I'd check the corners and if we were alone, I'd signal on the door and we'd move onto stage 2 (leaving one person outside). If there was someone in, I'd pretend to be drunk (which was easier to do when I was drunk) and ask if they knew where "Jonathan Edmunds" was - a guy we knew for a fact was in the next set of halls along. They'd inevitably say they didn't know what I was talking about and I'd leave. If it was empty though, stage 2 would begin: This is when the 3 of us in there would each go to a different fridge-freezer and raid. We had about ten seconds to do it. After that ten seconds, we'd just take what we had and GO, turning off the light and closing the latch making sure the door closed properly (requiring a key to get back in). This bought us some extra time to escape because when the person that had put the latch on went to come back to the kitchen, they'd find it locked and need to go back to their room again to get their key. Meanwhile, we could have been two floors away!

The guy outside would stay there as a watchman. If at any time this person walked in, it meant someone was coming. At that point, we had to stuff everything into a hiding place - a bin, back in the fridge, under a table. We'd all run to the windows and just start screaming out of them. When the "target" walked in, we'd all laugh and pretend to be having a shouting conversation with someone out the window. This was such a frequent occurence in the halls that people rarely batted an eyelid, even when the people doing it didn't "belong" to that kitchen.

Our reign of terror only ended when we left university. In 2nd and 3rd years we'd still occasionally do it by befriending a fresher in that hall and sneaking in with them, or otherwise just following someone in. There was a door where the lock just flat out didn't work for some time, too. We never got caught, we never got found. We were darker than shadows.

Looking back, what we did was wrong. But I regret nothing. We needed people to suffer the same pain we suffered, to feel the same emotion we felt. And I sleep fine at night.

I lol'd hard

mikeybass

Neo Member
Never been to a Play Expo, should be a giggle. Got to be better than that god awful Comicon. Part of me died at that thing last year :(

And Titchmarsh is still totally doing his thing, except now it's even worse! He does up your garden, but only if your wife's been eaten by sharks or your kids have an addiction to acid burns or something.

Doc_Drop

I like how Nottingham tourist board put in place their 'mystery one-way visual tour of Nottingham'. It isn't well signposted from the motorway, but that doesn't matter because as soon as you drive anywhere near the City Centre you are automatically directed to it and can't get off it no matter how hard you try.

Genius really. Does occasionally get a teensy bit in the way of actually going to a place you want to, but the scenery as you pass by makes it all worthwhile

Hehe

Took me a second before realising you were talking about the road systems. I was thinking "what mystery one-way visual tour of Nottingham? Why haven't I seen this? Is it as bad as the Nottingham Cave tour?"

I have visited the Birmingham City giant merry-go-round though, was stuck on that for 1-2 hours!

Doc_Drop

.....oh shit. Time to go into hiding until I assess how much you like Nintendo.

Uh oh, not a huge nintendo fan since the OG Gameboy. I was always SEGA (I had no real input until I bought a PS2 for myself)

Edit: There is a high chance of me seeing you if you shopped at Game at any point in the Viccy Centre from 2010-2012

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So what's happenin', BG? (that stands for Britgaf, btw).

All ill over here still. My ribs and chest hurt from coughing too hard. So I've been putting records on and playing Diablo while splattered on the sofa, waiting for E to come home and spamming Destiny threads to try and add more people to my friendslist who aren't already level 1,000 (Daps + Vashetti I am looking at you accusatorily, Skele7on I expected it from you). The clan system is so so broken.

Records sound so much better than digital music.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

All ill over here still. My ribs and chest hurt from coughing too hard. So I've been putting records on and playing Diablo while splattered on the sofa, waiting for E to come home and spamming Destiny threads to try and add more people to my friendslist who aren't already level 1,000 (Daps + Vashetti I am looking at you accusatorily, Skele7on I expected it from you). The clan system is so so broken.

What records?

Reknoc

Uh oh, not a huge nintendo fan since the OG Gameboy. I was always SEGA (I had no real input until I bought a PS2 for myself)

Edit: There is a high chance of me seeing you if you shopped at Game at any point in the Viccy Centre from 2010-2012

sickening

i clearly need to move away from this anti-nintendo town. move to london, closer to BGBW

which reminds me, influx of new students mean i should charge my 3DS up (also to prepare for theatrythm) for some new streetpasses

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Talking of currency, Scotland should adopt Bitcoin as their currency (instead of Nectar Points as previously suggested). That way we can safely assess if it is a viable currency like the BoE is suggesting. If it all goes belly up all we've lost nothing. Scotland's progress may go back a century, but apart from that I don't see any fault in this plan.

Vashetti is level 1,000 too? Brb adding him. The game is much more fun to play with Level 20+ people than lamo's who haven't got there yet

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Baroness and Rust Never Sleeps. I've only been awake a short while! But talking about RNS made me want to listen to it again :)

Hahaha! On that same token, I played Cortez The Killer to my daughter yesterday and she started dancing to it! So far she likes Neil Young and Iggy Pop.

#soproud

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Vashetti is level 1,000 too? Brb adding him. The game is much more fun to play with Level 20+ people than lamo's who haven't got there yet

:'(

I'll get there in my own time. Slow time :'(

Have you seen the scheduled events? I like this idea. Also saw that once you hit 20 you can unlock impossible difficulty. This appeals to me :-D

Hahaha! On that same token, I played Cortez The Killer to my daughter yesterday and she started dancing to it! So far she likes Neil Young and Iggy
Pop.

#soproud

That's amazing!

Is there a BritGAF superior next gen console
PS4
clan? Don't want to play with peasants on the ps3.

It's already segregated by class! Whoooooo!

Playing Murdered: Soul Suspect. Meh, it's not great, feels very 'Capcom' in the way people move and talk.

For the record, I've just met him but I'm guessing this Priest turns out to be the murderer...

BTW everyone this was posted up in the meet thread...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=884990

Apologies if this contravenes any forum rules [delete if so]... I'll donate 4 free single day tickets (one per person, first come first served) for the Saturday of EGX if any GAF people fancy checking out the show before the meet-up and missed out on buying one. Only folks that don't already have a ticket. Will check back here in a couple of days in case anyone takes up the offer... no worries if not :)

Anyone who fancies going jump on this generous offer now!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Playing Murdered: Soul Suspect. Meh, it's not great, feels very 'Capcom' in the way people move and talk.

For the record, I've just met him but I'm guessing this Priest turns out to be the murderer...

Why you buy this?

Is there anything good about it ?or were the reviewers right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom