• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skele7on

Banned
That burden of responsibility.

We've probably passed each other like ships in the night a few times. Unless you have a big moustache we probably haven't spoken though.

YUP, it's alright though it'll calm down after launch I hope anyway.

Haha, I do have a fairly large stache so *shrug* dunno. I probably will end up going there tonight before heading down to Game to get my copy.

Tonight! !>£!M£%! Don't you people have jobs!!?$$?%"

Sadly, I won't be on tonight :) It should hopefully arrive tomorrow at the office and I should hopefully be a bit better tomorrow and working from work. So maybe maybe tomorrow night! I'm not sure how it will all work with the story though. I suppose all will become clear soon....

I do have a job I'm just off this week to play destiny :p so just give me a message when you're about..

I couldn't imagine having to wait another day for this game, I think it would drive me insane! The weather is so beautiful today, yet here I am complaining a game isn't out..

I dunno what is wrong with me!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Fucking video games...I can't afford (financially or mentally) to get addicted right now, so I'll have to settle for living vicariously though you all. Ultimately I'm just jelly of everyone on next-gen and all the Destiny hype. To pick up on sploatee's metaphor, I am solo grinding for rares and legendaries IRL (working out, college classes, saving for my own place and trying to rebuild a social life after a recent breakup etc.), which is a lot more boring cus it doesn't come with cool SFX or glowing, orange text when you do the right thing.

You know the Destiny Launch almost feels as big as GTA V (I can't believe that was a year ago next week!), except this time I won't be buying the big game of the year. No time to play unfortunately.

The only reason I'm still preordering Smash is because I might have time to play it as it's on a handheld
who am I kidding?.

What we need to a good old fashioned uprising. Like the old days when multiple people fought for the crown. It would make for good entertainment watching different royals fight.

Obviously, it would be a pain for the BoE to keep printing new coins every time out ruler changed.

Just watch Game of Thrones bro

jimbor

Banned
To be fair I can totally see their point, and I hate Muse (in the main, some of Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry was OK).

Out of the Black totally sounds like an early Muse track, not sure how anyone couldn't see that tbh!

You say that like it's a bad thing, but don't you love CHVRCHES? They're hardly genre-defining pioneers pushing the musical boundaries dude.

Also, Jed was into them a few months ago when they were cool and underground. It must expend a lot of energy being so jaded.

Chvrches are twee electro pop that I have a soft spot for. Plus I saw them live before they were cool.

all I know is I'm glad we have bands like Royal Blood and Chvrches being popular instead of other stuff

remember when the Pigeon Detectives were a mildly popular thing

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I had forgotten all about pigeon detectives. Thanks a lot Coldman.
What we need to a good old fashioned uprising. Like the old days when multiple people fought for the crown. It would make for good entertainment watching different royals fight.

Obviously, it would be a pain for the BoE to keep printing new coins every time out ruler changed.
This is why Scottish Independence is going to be so sweet.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Meaty, what did you think of that Neil Young vido?

I'm nosey to find out what you think given you talk good about guitars.

At the moment I'm obsessed with deliberately limiting my playing so I can only do about three or four notes and it all has to be in the expression of those notes. I'm obsessed with sustain. So I've got a Bigsby (ooer!) and clamped a Fat-finger (ooer!) on the headstock, use supermegaheavy strings (.13 to about .60 ish, with a wound G string (eek!)) and a brass nut (yikes!!!) instead of a bone one. I'm thinking of buying another couple of Fat-fingers to clamp on the headstock so it basically looks like even more of a Frankenstein's monster but I want the notes to sound really super-full, not like a guitar, I want them to sound like a trumpet.

Skele7on

Banned
Loved this!

O9jBR8X.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Meaty, what did you think of that Neil Young vido?

I'm nosey to find out what you think given you talk good about guitars.

I've only ever heard Like A Hurricane on the Unplugged album, where he's hunched over an organ with a harmonica strapped to his gums like Darth Vader's drop out younger brother.

You were spot on, too. He strangles out some really hypnotic three note melodies. It was gorgeous. I'm kicking myself that I haven't looked into him in more depth before.

At the moment I'm obsessed with deliberately limiting my playing so I can only do about three or four notes and it all has to be in the expression of those notes. I'm obsessed with sustain. So I've got a Bigsby (ooer!) and clamped a Fat-finger (ooer!) on the headstock, use supermegaheavy strings (.13 to about .60 ish, with a wound G string (eek!)) and a brass nut (yikes!!!) instead of a bone one. I'm thinking of buying another couple of Fat-fingers to clamp on the headstock so it basically looks like even more of a Frankenstein's monster but I want the notes to sound really super-full, not like a guitar, I want them to sound like a trumpet.

I'm more from the guitar school of 'Pedal Wank, Hitting and Screwdrivers' (ie shit), so you'll have to elaborate on this Fat Finger of which you speak. Knowledge deficiencies aside, I want to hear what a guitar sounds like when it's being a trumpet, so update me in your findings. I've always wanted to replicate the Inception horn or the Tripod's call from shit War of the Worlds.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've only ever heard Like A Hurricane on the Unplugged album, where he's hunched over an organ with a harmonica strapped to his gums like Darth Vader's drop out younger brother.

You were spot on, too. He strangles out some really hypnotic three note melodies. It was gorgeous. I'm kicking myself that I haven't looked into him in more depth before.

I'm more from the guitar school of 'Pedal Wank, Hitting and Screwdrivers' (ie shit), so you'll have to elaborate on this Fat Finger of which you speak. Knowledge deficiencies aside, I want to hear what a guitar sounds like when it's being a trumpet, so update me in your findings. I've always wanted to replicate the Inception horn or the Tripod's call from shit War of the Worlds.

I'm glad you liked! I'd always assumed you knew his stuff! I've never heard his pure noise album called "Arc" - I think it's a sound collage, but he did a great record a few years ago which is just reverb - him on a electric guitar in a specially made house, with special microphones etc. He just plays songs for 45 minutes and that's that. I think it's called Le Noise. Oh man. If you can ever read about his career, do, it's incredible. Whenever anybody expects anything from him, he just goes off and does something else to provoke them. Like a synth album. Or a rockabilly album. Etc. etc. Tonight's the Night is the one that got me into him, it's literally played by an off-their-heads bunch of nutcases - it's all first takes, solos go wrong, tempos all over the place and its amazing.

Hang on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonight's_the_Night_(Neil_Young_album)

Lookout Joe is my favourite but it works as a piece.

Mikeside

Parachute for Gordo were excellent again tonight.

I listened to the new Lonely the Brave album on the drive home.
Fucking awesome record. I might have to buy the 12"

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Destiny-ers ! How is it? How does it compare to the alpha / beta?

Still ill so working from home today, which means my copy'll be at the office with nobody to take it home :(

I'm considering not playing it until I've platinumed Diablo though. Everything is so unfinished!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad you liked! I'd always assumed you knew his stuff! I've never heard his pure noise album called "Arc" - I think it's a sound collage, but he did a great record a few years ago which is just reverb - him on a electric guitar in a specially made house, with special microphones etc. He just plays songs for 45 minutes and that's that. I think it's called Le Noise. Oh man. If you can ever read about his career, do, it's incredible. Whenever anybody expects anything from him, he just goes off and does something else to provoke them. Like a synth album. Or a rockabilly album. Etc. etc. Tonight's the Night is the one that got me into him, it's literally played by an off-their-heads bunch of nutcases - it's all first takes, solos go wrong, tempos all over the place and its amazing.

Hang on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonight's_the_Night_(Neil_Young_album)

Lookout Joe is my favourite but it works as a piece.

A pure noise album? Imma get all up in this. What's Rust Never Sleeps like? I've always liked the sound of the title but never took the plunge.

Badass effects on instruments so they sound barely recognisable are mint.

This is correct.

Not a huge fan of her work, but the guitar on Stolen Car by Beth Orton sounds like a rusty cello, courtesy of Ben Harper, I believe.

I love the effect on the organ in Store Bought Bones, such a crunchy grunt to it:

The Raconteurs - Store Bought Bones

Crunchy Grunt is both an accurate description and a wonderful song title/band name.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
i have an old, much loved guitar (parker pm20) that i want to put eight (or at least seven) string gauge strings on and tune to something deadly like g standard or something.

I missed this! I always used to want a Parker Fly because you could switch to acoustic, but I love my battered and quirky Les Paul. It has 18 years :) I can't wait till it gets to 40 and is even more battered and quirky. Each dent tells a story (of my clumsiness)!

I used to play with 8 gauge strings but I prefer super super heavy ones because it's a real effort to bend them. I don't like it when I can bend strings too much, it makes everything go noodly.

A pure noise album? Imma get all up in this. What's Rust Never Sleeps like? I've always liked the sound of the title but never took the plunge.

I've never heard it though (disclaimer)! Only the live album it was taken from, which was also good but very very long. Rust Never Sleeps is his response to punk. All of his albums have so much context. I am going to lecture now. So he was originally a 60s hippie troubadour, then did some early 70s barbarian / garage rock stuff and then had a big hit with another country/hippie troubadour thing. Then decided he didn't want to be famous and went off on a tour and releasing albums slagging off the hippie dream and the death of America. Then people started dying around him, so he recorded Tonight's the Night which the record company didn't want to release because it was too bleak. Zuma (the one you've got) was his "comeback" after that where he became a bit more accessible again. He had a couple of records in the mid 70s - late 70s (it was that time when 1/2 records a year was normal) which did OK but then after punk started he decided that all of the 70s rock dinosaurs were done for and out of touch...

...so Rust Never Sleeps is his response to that, it's dedicated to Johnny Rotten - one side is acoustic stuff where he reflects on his life, man, up to that point. The other side is really raw Neil Young-style barbarian rock. It's a great rekkid. Works best on vinyl, of course! Then it made him popular with the punks, so he decided to go off on one again and went off into new wave and a synth album which he recorded for his son who has cerebral palsy. His whole career is like that, it just goes from one place to another depending on what he feels like. Don't forget his 2009 concept album about electric cars! Or his tribute-to-Kurt Cobain album! (or of course) his supermassive album where Pearl Jam were his backing band.

Sorry. <3 Neil Young. When everyone was like "yeah, man, Dylan." "oo, man, yeah" I was just like HE MAKES BIG NOISE AAAHRUHGOAGHAERIP!!J!

Oh - and you've heard "Let's Impeach The President", right? about George Bush ? With a 100-piece choir?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've never heard it though (disclaimer)! Only the live album it was taken from, which was also good but very very long. Rust Never Sleeps is his response to punk. All of his albums have so much context. I am going to lecture now. So he was originally a 60s hippie troubadour, then did some early 70s barbarian / garage rock stuff and then had a big hit with another country/hippie troubadour thing. Then decided he didn't want to be famous and went off on a tour and releasing albums slagging off the hippie dream and the death of America. Then people started dying around him, so he recorded Tonight's the Night which the record company didn't want to release because it was too bleak. Zuma (the one you've got) was his "comeback" after that where he became a bit more accessible again. He had a couple of records in the mid 70s - late 70s (it was that time when 1/2 records a year was normal) which did OK but then after punk started he decided that all of the 70s rock dinosaurs were done for and out of touch...

...so Rust Never Sleeps is his response to that, it's dedicated to Johnny Rotten - one side is acoustic stuff where he reflects on his life, man, up to that point. The other side is really raw Neil Young-style barbarian rock. It's a great rekkid. Works best on vinyl, of course! Then it made him popular with the punks, so he decided to go off on one again and went off into new wave and a synth album which he recorded for his son who has cerebral palsy. His whole career is like that, it just goes from one place to another depending on what he feels like. Don't forget his 2009 concept album about electric cars! Or his tribute-to-Kurt Cobain album! (or of course) his supermassive album where Pearl Jam were his backing band.

Sorry. <3 Neil Young. When everyone was like "yeah, man, Dylan." "oo, man, yeah" I was just like HE MAKES BIG NOISE AAAHRUHGOAGHAERIP!!J!

Oh - and you've heard "Let's Impeach The President", right? about George Bush ? With a 100-piece choir?

No need to be sorry. He sounds like such a legit git. I love me an agent provocateur. So, I'm intrigued now. All Country Music herpderp associations are burnt from my mind. You have to recommend me two more albums (YOU MUST), but... not the Pearl Jam one. Nuh uh.

Please post a link to some Neil Young penned anti-American Gregorian chant.

8bit

Knows the Score
No need to be sorry. He sounds like such a legit git. I love me an agent provocateur. So, I'm intrigued now. All Country Music herpderp associations are burnt from my mind. You have to recommend me two more albums (YOU MUST), but... not the Pearl Jam one. Nuh uh.

Please post a link to some Neil Young penned anti-American Gregorian chant.

This'll probably interest you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_(Neil_Young_&_Crazy_Horse_album)

edit ah you've already touched on that. Oddly can't find it on youtube.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
OK...here's Let's Impeach The President. It works v. well with the video. It's not much of a song, but it's not meant to be. "Flip!" "Flop!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4kTnP5VJ1k

Ooo. Albums.

OK

Along with Rust Never Sleeps I'd say er. There's so many. Umm. I'll give you three.

I like On the Beach, Ragged Glory and Tonight's the Night. Yes, those two. But everybody loves After the Gold Rush.

Hystzen

You can use your phone credit to pay for stuff on you PSN hah how strange and pretty cool not sure if it only PS3 at moment as not bought anything for PS4

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This'll probably interest you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_(Neil_Young_&_Crazy_Horse_album)

edit ah you've already touched on that. Oddly can't find it on youtube.

That's what grabbed my attention. I always thought he was predominately Country.

OK...here's Let's Impeach The President. It works v. well with the video. It's not much of a song, but it's not meant to be. "Flip!" "Flop!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4kTnP5VJ1k

Ooo. Albums.

OK

Along with Rust Never Sleeps I'd say er. There's so many. Umm. I'll give you three.

I like On the Beach, Ragged Glory and Tonight's the Night. Yes, those two. But everybody loves After the Gold Rush.

Nice one. I shall scratch some cash together and make poichesses.

I missed this! I always used to want a Parker Fly because you could switch to acoustic, but I love my battered and quirky Les Paul. It has 18 years :) I can't wait till it gets to 40 and is even more battered and quirky. Each dent tells a story (of my clumsiness)!

I used to play with 8 gauge strings but I prefer super super heavy ones because it's a real effort to bend them. I don't like it when I can bend strings too much, it makes everything go noodly.

i fucking love my parker. it's not quite a fly, mainly because i am too poor, but the pm20 is a beautiful and odd looking guitar.

oh i meant strings designed for 8-string guitars. so i'd ditch the two highest strings and go (high to low):

why? because i am a crazy person.

(also i just noticed that ibanez now do a series of NINE string guitars. fuck)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've only ever played a six string guitar. I kind of wish it only had five! I really want a baritone guitar, that would be the best! But blimey 9 strings.

Destiny is great. BritGAF feel free to invite me to fireteams / dive into mine. But I'm still only early on.

Daps how the hell you level 19 already!?!/!

I've only ever played a six string guitar. I kind of wish it only had five! I really want a baritone guitar, that would be the best! But blimey 9 strings.
yes! a baritone would be fantastic. i would love to mess around with a four string guitar ala wes borland, i think he tunes it low a (bass string), a, d, g. could be fun!

Skele7on

Banned

Destiny is great. BritGAF feel free to invite me to fireteams / dive into mine. But I'm still only early on.

Daps how the hell you level 19 already!?!/!

HAHA I was thinking the same thing. good work though.

Are you doing story or just crucible?

I'm only level 14 at the moment.

Will be on in a bit, PSN is Drubbed

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
CHEEZMO™;129248192 said:
I've met Owen Jones irl. Pretty nice guy.

Far too liberal for my tastes tho.

Have you read his new book? I might give it a try.

HAHA I was thinking the same thing. good work though.

Are you doing story or just crucible?

I'm only level 14 at the moment.

Will be on in a bit, PSN is Drubbed

Level 14! I'm level 4! You guys, honestly, you make me jealous with your resources of time. I should be on later when I finish work but the levelling might make it a bit imbalanced (afaik there isn't an 'apprentice' mode).

SKINNER!

Banned
I started at 5am today X(
but I finish at 1pm :D Gonna head into city centre and chill with the unemployed.
my sleeping pattern will be fucked tonight.

How's everyone here?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Ah... tunings. My band usually uses B, B, D, G, B, D.

Sonic Youth have some really nice ones.

Great, now I'm going to have to listen to Daydream Nation again.

Are any of Interpol's earlier albums worth listening to? I've been listening to their latest release and it is ok; I feel like they have been around for years but I've never given them a chance...

Also, any bands similar to the Talking Heads? Preferably Remain in Light Talking Heads...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Great, now I'm going to have to listen to Daydream Nation again.

YOU'RE WELCOME

Confusion is Sex is the best. Just so you know.

Are any of Interpol's earlier albums worth listening to? I've been listening to their latest release and it is ok; I feel like they have been around for years but I've never given them a chance...

Sure are. Try Unknown Pleasures.

Also, any bands similar to the Talking Heads? Preferably Remain in Light Talking Heads...

Not sure... maybe Television? They are sort of similar if you squint your ears and spin around three times. Way less funky, much more spacious, maybe less audacious, but just as jangly and interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom