• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

OK bought Akiba's Trip. Kinda funny that the Grainger in the city didn't have a copy but the one nearby did. Guess it's because this area is full of students, and students are known deviants.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've been playing MOBA's (hate that name) for years and it was a lot easier being new in the dota 1 days. No recorded stats = less rage. That and having a few friends to play with who are also new helps.

I wouldn't like to start learning the game now, although valve are making big efforts to make it more accessible and friendly, its still a bitch. But it's one of the most rewarding, deep and challenging games out there.

I did enjoy Smite when I played it, but it's a bit like Destiny (or what I hear WoW is like) in that if you play it, it kind of becomes the one game you play because you need to put in serious hours to get to the good stuff. The trash talking put me off mostly though. NOOB , KS NOOB, REPORT SPLOATEE etc etc.

Yeah, I played about a third of it on PS3, i thought it was excellent to be honest. As you say, it wasn't exactly breaking new ground, but it was fun, slick, controlled fantastically (best tuned aiming reticle this side of Vanquish) and looked gorgeous. I can only imagine it's even more sumptuous on the QuadBoxStation.

I 100% percented it. It was a fun game. Nothing amazing but it just played well. It did get worse the longer it went on though and I thought the very final portion was a bit small scale compared to what came before. The second one will probably be amazing. Weird though that the actress was English but sounded like an American doing one of their really bad English accents.

The only autumn game I can think of on the Soony is Lords of the Fallen because it's meant to be a Dark Souls clone. It's a really crappy autumn for the PS4 if you're not into the big franchises. I think the Xbo has better games at the moment. Titanfall looks good, I've never played the Halo games (apart from the first on a Mac aaages ago) and Sunset Overdrive looks fun too. There's no way we're gonna get an Xbo though, it's just too similar to the Soony.

Acclimatizing to unemployment.

Last night spent ages on Destiny and sustained myself on Chardonnay and Kit Kats then stayed up till the small hours to watch the election results so I could report live to UK PoliGAF.

Today I've done many chores and will later go out to see Dracula.

The_Poet

Banned

Last night spent ages on Destiny and sustained myself on Chardonnay and Kit Kats then stayed up till the small hours to watch the election results so I could report live to UK PoliGAF.

Sounds like you are coping well.

Skele7on

Banned

haha yeah cheers was a fun time last night.

Sounds like the rest of your evening was pretty decent as well.

Have fun at Dracula!

haha yeah cheers was a fun time last night.

Sounds like the rest of your evening was pretty decent as well.

Have fun at Dracula!

Thanks man, the raid went pretty well all things considered, had a good time.

Funnily enough Izcariel messaged me pretty much straight after we finished saying he needed a sixth person for the last boss (history repeating itself), so I joined and we beat him on my first try. So I killed him twice in one night, but no double dipping for loot unfortunately.

jimbor

Banned

Fucking Dracula. Get a job, cuntfeatures.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Thanks man, the raid went pretty well all things considered, had a good time.

Funnily enough Izcariel messaged me pretty much straight after we finished saying he needed a sixth person for the last boss (history repeating itself), so I joined and we beat him on my first try. So I killed him twice in one night, but no double dipping for loot unfortunately.

You guys better be banking that raid experience because when I go back to Destiny eventually I'm going to be nagging you constantly to go on the raid.

The ideal situation would be if we could finish it in about 15 minutes with no mics. So I could do it over a lunch hour.

P.S. Good luck with the job. Hopefully good news soon.

Reknoc

So I was in my garden and something in the bird bath caught my eye. It was this guy, still in his packaging

Bzm2JueIAAAj_SW.jpg

is this Donkey Show's call sign!? is he going to get me "whacked"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have a Sackboy soft toy that MM sent me because I subscribed to their YouTube channel.

I didn't even buy the game.

Do people have easy access to your garden?

I have a Sackboy soft toy that MM sent me because I subscribed to their YouTube channel.

I have one of those too, yeah. Also got some fake magazine with it too? That was nice.

The other half picked up one of the bigger Sackboy toys at the 3DS midnight launch. The ones with a big soft head that makes for a great thing to rest on.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Are you in the house party scene? I was gonna guess the schoolboy at the start checking what mum packed for lunch.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm playing Zelda: Link between Worlds on the 3DS.

Reched the stage I always get to in Zelda games in that I bloody hate Ice dungeons, so I am procrastinating like mad by going around doing and collecting every thing else there is to do and collect or admire, explore, play with etc etc until there is nothing at all left to do except face the ice dungeon.

That should keep me occupied for a few weeks.

In other news, everything is busy-busy.

- Represented someone in court for first time ever yesterday (which was kind of stressful but seemed to go down well) as they couldn't afford a real barrister and the Coroner was kind enough to let me play.

- Legal/Commercial advice on a new business startup and purchase in town needs enormous spreadsheets to see if it will work or not by Monday - accountants and banks lined up for next week. Will probably end up as a non-exec director of it by the end of the week.

- Still unpacking/sorting stuff out from flat move, just took delivery of a big-ass superstrength filing cabinet so I will be able to see rest of carpet. It's a nice carpet.

It's quite strange when actually going to work in your own shop is the relaxation bit!

NinjaBoiX

Just listened to some Lonely The Brave Mike, they're not terrible I suppose, just kind of slight and mawkish. The lyrics/vocals are a bit wet and the melodies seem to be largely compromised of fairly nondescript echoey guitar chords.

YouTube kept linking me to You Me At Six videos after each track too, kind of says it all really.

62ZpILQ.jpg

The drums were pretty good I guess.

I never thought it would happen, but I'm in a TV advert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLkqFEXd8iI

I doubt anyone will spot me, thankfully, but it's still cool nonetheless.

I was also the one who storyboarded it.
That's pretty cool man, fair play! I think I see you in the house party scene.

(Over to the right?)

My gf works for London Ambulance Service.

I hear they have the military and police covering their minor injuries and transport.

I hope the strike works. I got a promotion last month and that came with a healthy pay bump, but a little more would be welcome in my situation.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
... then i get in to manchester and some bloody teen youths are dressed like bears?! ears n' all! bloody kids with their pokemans and their hippin and their hoppin.

lmao, in Piccadilly? That was us. Just got back in from the meet. Exhausted.

edit: actually that would have been hours later than your post. nevermind!

SmokyDave

Just went downstairs for 'nearly 5am and just finished feeding baby' cigarette. Because it's so early, the underfloor heating isn't on and my feet got really cold whilst I stood at the back door.

Nobody knows the fucking hardships I have to deal with :(

I'm going to make it through this, but it will be a while before I feel safe in bare feet again.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Just went downstairs for 'nearly 5am and just finished feeding baby' cigarette. Because it's so early, the underfloor heating isn't on and my feet got really cold whilst I stood at the back door.

Nobody knows the fucking hardships I have to deal with :(

I'm going to make it through this, but it will be a while before I feel safe in bare feet again.

Just done the 5am back door cigarette thing myself. What you need is a nice pair of slippers mate.

CHEEZMO™;133920944 said:
lmao, in Piccadilly? That was us. Just got back in from the meet. Exhausted.

edit: actually that would have been hours later than your post. nevermind!

there were only three or four and it was at oxford road station. WHAT IS THIS SECRET BEAR LIFE YOU LEAD?

feel free to not answer that if y'know, i'm being a nosey bugger.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
there were only three or four and it was at oxford road station. WHAT IS THIS SECRET BEAR LIFE YOU LEAD?

feel free to not answer that if y'know, i'm being a nosey bugger.

Cheez lives the life that others can only dream of.

Sheep - good to hear you are basically running the world single handed!

Getting Destiny back later today. Fingers crossed I can enjoy it without becoming a junkie.

RiggyRob

God, looking through the Wii RPGs thread makes me realise I missed so many games for the Wii, and I want to buy them all, yet somehow still get Smash U + amiibo, Omega Ruby, Bayonetta 1+2, Captain Toad, etc etc.

Still haven't played through Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower properly either.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
God, looking through the Wii RPGs thread makes me realise I missed so many games for the Wii, and I want to buy them all, yet somehow still get Smash U + amiibo, Omega Ruby, Bayonetta 1+2, Captain Toad, etc etc.

Still haven't played through Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower properly either.

I pretty much HATE playing JRPGs but can't wait to get my wii u. Bayonetta 2 was the final straw.

Brace yourself for something really interesting, BG.

After lots of soul searching, I've realised that if a game doesn't have a scoring mechanic or its roots in the arcade, I'm never going to really love it. Even though Last of Us had an amazing story, I just couldn't care less about collectibles and all of the other things that I see in Assassin's Creed, Mordor and the rest. It's just brown and boring to me.

I realised this when I was playing stuff like Pix, TxK and the forgotten game Unit 13. Basically - with one exception - I think cinematic video games are utter shite with Z list stories and C grade voice acting. The gameplay can be fun but I'll always go back to arcade style games and as soon as I've finished the big cinematic thing I'll probably feel empty and trade it in.

Anyway, there you go. I think the indie games I've played this year have pretty much been better than most of the big releases and as an old lady I think modern big budget games just all look the same to me. Predictable Hollywood-lite story, bags of pointless collectibles to try and stop you trading it in and loose, frictionless game mechanics designed to let everybody finish everything. Load of rubbish.

TL;DR things were better in my day.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm also a fan of score based gaming. Probably why I liked Nintendoland while others hated it, because it was pretty much a series of modern arcade games, including the start from the beginning if you die mechanic. It's why I like handheld games, since I can often pick it up and play for a few moments and then put it down when I like. I don't have to worry about reaching the next checkpoint or whatever. One of my favourite series is Wario Ware and that's pretty much stripping games to the basic mechanics and time required to play them.

Long, "epic" games can be fun, but I space them out a lot so they don't become a burden. Xenoblade took me years to finish since I ended up spacing it out with breaks lasting for months. I started playing it on my Wii and finished it on the Wii U. Almost in two mind whether to get the sequel or not and if I do I'm likely not to buy another RPG before then. If I were to recommend a Wii RPG, I'd probably go for The Last Story as it is a much for linear and straight forward experience and can be beaten in less than 30 hours.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm also a fan of score based gaming. Probably why I liked Nintendoland while others hated it, because it was pretty much a series of modern arcade games, including the start from the beginning if you die mechanic. It's why I like handheld games, since I can often pick it up and play for a few moments and then put it down when I like. I don't have to worry about reaching the next checkpoint or whatever. One of my favourite series is Wario Ware and that's pretty much stripping games to the basic mechanics and time required to play them.

Long, "epic" games can be fun, but I space them out a lot so they don't become a burden. Xenoblade took me years to finish since I ended up spacing it out with breaks lasting for months. I started playing it on my Wii and finished it on the Wii U. Almost in two mind whether to get the sequel or not and if I do I'm likely not to buy another RPG before then. If I were to recommend a Wii RPG, I'd probably go for The Last Story as it is a much for linear and straight forward experience and can be beaten in less than 30 hours.

Almost exactly agree with you there. I think it's why most Vita games are perfect for me. Short bursts of intense gameplay just work for me and I just react well to games that force you to 'git gud'.

I guess I just feel that all games are basically just rehashes of the same few core input/response relationships and I don't see why they need to be dressed up in a cinematic wrapper, especially when the cinematic game narratives are so tired. It's just this horrible, safe treadmill targeted at the same people every single year. Arcade style games just cut the crap and concentrate on perfect mechanics and the depth of those mechanics. I must have put 100 hours plus into Espgaluda 2 and Sine Mora - it's just tight core gameplay and every extra layer just adds to that gameplay - they're just focused on playing brilliantly and everything else is secondary.

It's probably why I don't enjoy JRPGs. I don't care about video game stories. If I want a decent story, I'll go to a more mature medium - read some Hemingway , watch some Bunuel or something. Even Gone Home - while a nice novelty - was just a shallow story given too much credibility because it wasn't brown and full of US marines.

There are some decent examples of using games for interesting, open ended storytelling - Flower works because it's just purely symbolic but like I said, as a game qua game (yeah, I used the most pseud phrase evar) it's just a nice distraction, nothing else.

I'm going to exclude Fez from this because it's got the most mature storytelling I've seen in a video game and actually has a real authorial stamp on it. It helps that it shows and doesn't tell and doesn't compromise on difficulty.

Which in a circular way brings me back to wanting a Wii U. I was a bit of an idiot thinking that the PS4 would have a wad of Resoguns and Ninja Gaidens in the first year so I'm just gonna switch over and hope for the best with Bayonetta and Wonderful 101.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sheep - good to hear you are basically running the world single handed!

I like busy. Busy is what phisheeps like best. Unfortunately I've been running on adrenalin so much the last two weeks I did not realise how ill I was. Going to bed mid-afternoon with extra blanket and hot-water bottle right now. That's what happens when the adrenalin wears off.

Inquest was interesting. For all that I'm not as qualified as you I got to ask the cool questions that everyone else had missed (but were blindingly obvious even to me) such as the killer "thank you for your evidence Doctor, that was very interesting, but can you please explain where all that blood actually came from" [there was lots of blood, about 2 litres, and I was astonished nobody else had asked the question]. That led to an extra 20 minutes questioning to pin it down.

I love courtroom stuff. Wish I could do more of it. Need someone to deregulate the legal profession somewhat. In my dreams.

After lots of soul searching, I've realised that if a game doesn't have a scoring mechanic or its roots in the arcade, I'm never going to really love it. Even though Last of Us had an amazing story, I just couldn't care less about collectibles and all of the other things that I see in Assassin's Creed, Mordor and the rest. It's just brown and boring to me.

I'm kind of the opposite. I like games that are un-gamey - like Endless Ocean, which had nothing at all gamey on the surface and to be quite honest not much if you delved beneath it either. But it was just a nice place to be in and to visit.

BTW, loved your post in the Gaf Seniors thread!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I like busy. Busy is what phisheeps like best. Unfortunately I've been running on adrenalin so much the last two weeks I did not realise how ill I was. Going to bed mid-afternoon with extra blanket and hot-water bottle right now. That's what happens when the adrenalin wears off.

Inquest was interesting. For all that I'm not as qualified as you I got to ask the cool questions that everyone else had missed (but were blindingly obvious even to me) such as the killer "thank you for your evidence Doctor, that was very interesting, but can you please explain where all that blood actually came from" [there was lots of blood, about 2 litres, and I was astonished nobody else had asked the question]. That led to an extra 20 minutes questioning to pin it down.

I love courtroom stuff. Wish I could do more of it. Need someone to deregulate the legal profession somewhat. In my dreams.

I'm kind of the opposite. I like games that are un-gamey - like Endless Ocean, which had nothing at all gamey on the surface and to be quite honest not much if you delved beneath it either. But it was just a nice place to be in and to visit.

BTW, loved your post in the Gaf Seniors thread!

Sounds like you did a great job! I'm qualified to practice but really I only know a few basic principles and the rest is esoteric tax stuff. I wouldn't have been able to do what you did.

What post? That thread was nice. It was a lovely antidote from the other thread I was posting in that evening. Made the mistake of taking GAF seriously, again. Every time I do it I turn into that stereotype of the person chained to their computer with the "SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG!" speech bubble.

Son Of D

Time to make a cheap cameo appearance in the topic. I have actually been quite busy with a few assignments that I've got for Uni. And right after one is handed in I have to go right into another one. Feels good to be busy as opposed to sitting on my arse doing fuck all like I was in Devon.

That's pretty much all I've been doing in between seeing friends and posting on Gaf but forgetting about the OT community section.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I'm not really a fan of turn based JRPG's. Just give me pure action and we'll talk. That's why I'mma be gettin' FF Type-0 when it launches in March.

RiggyRob

I'm not really a fan of turn based JRPG's. Just give me pure action and we'll talk. That's why I'mma be gettin' FF Type-0 when it launches in March.

That's what I like about Xenoblade and The Last Story, they're not turn-based. Although I am a sucker for a good turn-based RPG too, Bravely Default should have been the revival of the classic Final Fantasy on 3DS but that second half is so woeful I am compelled to bring it up every time the game is mentioned.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm all about the turn based jrpgs, I hate when there's active time and I need to act quick. Although I find a lot of tbs games can lack depth, it's often just spamming the best attacks. Something about the pacing of them is very relaxing. Good with tv.

Reknoc

I think I generally prefer turn based RPGs. I like action ones as well but rarely are they for the "turn based? Bleagh" people as the combat is usally serviceable at best and just horrendous at worst.

Hystzen

Any RPG is my drug if it tickles my pickle.

Also shit my GF says, like everybody else watched Jurassic Park on ITV yesturday. When Malcom is in car explaining chaos theory to hot Laura Dern my gf looks and me and asks if Jeff Goldblum is black. I just blankly stare at her until she says "I said something stupid right" I just nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom