• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Say what you want about FF13, but that battle system was marvellous. Cancelling certain party members turn so they would queue up to attack at just the right time to maintain a constant drain on the stagger meter, timing a paradigm shift just right to follow on from said stagger, shifting members around the field on the fly depending on if they were buffing or attacking; doing all this quickly and efficiently made the game feel almost like a rhythm action game at times.

Also, quoting this from Pics that make you laugh for the awesome lulz :

tumblr_m3azq2uMlT1qenzeco1_500.gif

Any Winehouse dropkicking a paparazzi, RIP

jimbor

Banned
Say what you want about FF13, but that battle system was marvellous. Cancelling certain party members turn so they would queue up to attack at just the right time to maintain a constant drain on the stagger meter, timing a paradigm shift just right to follow on from said stagger, shifting members around the field on the fly depending on if they were buffing or attacking; doing all this quickly and efficiently made the game feel almost like a rhythm action game at times.

Also, quoting this from Pics that make you laugh for the awesome lulz :

God bless that crazy bitch. Sobriety is a killer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I quite enjoy the laid back pace of a turn based RPG and the fact you can usually strategise which moves to use.

One problem I had with Xenoblade was that your two team mates were CPU controlled and sometimes they just didn't do what you wanted them to do. For example one fight had you battle a boss surrounded by poisonous water, so of course one of my team members runs into the water to attack the boss so their health just keeps on plummeting or there are instances when there are multiple enemies and they don't attack the one you want to prioritise. Hopefully they fix that element in the sequel as they are using the same battle system.

Son Of D

I quite enjoy the laid back pace of a turn based RPG and the fact you can usually strategise which moves to use.

One problem I had with Xenoblade was that your two team mates were CPU controlled and sometimes they just didn't do what you wanted them to do. For example one fight had you battle a boss surrounded by poisonous water, so of course one of my team members runs into the water to attack the boss so their health just keeps on plummeting or there are instances when there are multiple enemies and they don't attack the one you want to prioritise. Hopefully they fix that element in the sequel as they are using the same battle system.

Final Fantasy XII also has an issue like that. Since if you're fighting a boss with an Area of Effect attack you want to keep your team spread out so that only 1 (or maybe 2) takes damage from it, but since they're CPU controlled you have no real control over where they stand unless you give one a ranged weapon and the other a melee weapon. And even then they're still close in proximity to each other.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Keep seeing Xeno in this thread and getting excited because I'm playing Xenogears on PS1, then I realise you're talking about gears. psssh

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Keep seeing Xeno in this thread and getting excited because I'm playing Xenogears on PS1, then I realise you're talking about gears. psssh

They also have nothing to do with each other. They literally just used the Xeno prefix as a tribute to the director.

Reknoc

They also have nothing to do with each other. They literally just used the Xeno prefix as a tribute to the director.

that makes it sound like he's dead. It's pretty much the same as Xenosaga. I'm sure there's some link like it being the same universe but that would be about it.

Skele7on

Banned
ergh back to work and Monday stuff....

Some guy in my office has been "sick" for over a week.

Yet his IP address is telling me he is currently in Ireland.

Considering I had to cancel Friday and Today's holiday I had booked for this I'm not happy.

Weighing up becoming Edward Snowden...

What would you do GAF?

:\

Reknoc

Fuck Alien Isolation, I can't deal with that. I thought I wouldn't have trouble with it because of all the exposure I've already had to the Xeno but that thing isn't the real enemy the Synths are. Terrifying. Had to stop playing and decided to install Okami HD instead.

Skele7on

Banned
Fuck Alien Isolation, I can't deal with that. I thought I wouldn't have trouble with it because of all the exposure I've already had to the Xeno but that thing isn't the real enemy the Synths are. Terrifying. Had to stop playing and decided to install Okami HD instead.

playing at the moment and they're creepy as hell.

Like the way they talk and walk and the "Let me help you" as they proceed to snap your neck, all kinds of nope.

Reknoc

playing at the moment and they're creepy as hell.

Like the way they talk and walk and the "Let me help you" as they proceed to snap your neck, all kinds of nope.

I'm at the bit where you have to get to the internal comms and I thought I managed to sneak past a room with a few in but I heard the music start up a bit, didn't really think much of it and carried on. Then I turned around and one was suddenly moving towards me. Freaked out a little and shot it dead, which brought over another which I killed and then another and I ran out of ammo and there was no room to escape :(((((((

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Gaming side is funny today. "I played Oculus Rift for 5 hours now my eyes are broken!" "I played Destiny for 100 hours and I just realised it was pointless"

Never change you crazy fuckers.

Hystzen

Gaming side is funny today. "I played Oculus Rift for 5 hours now my eyes are broken!" "I played Destiny for 100 hours and I just realised it was pointless"

Nothing beats dating advice or any thread do with girls on OT. Some the shit people post as "advice" to the op so fucking stupid I'm not sure they serious or joke posts

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, I just don't think I have the time for Destiny. I'm sure it's fun and all, but even the most ardent fans (sploatee) say it's basically a pointless timesink at the end of the day. I'm going to be all hip and alternative and get the new CoD; turn my brain off and be entertained by 7-8 hours of hollow, shiny bombast then dip into the multi as and when I fancy.

Fuck feeling obligated to play, I ain't about that life!
Nothing beats dating advice or any thread do with girls on OT. Some the shit people post as "advice" to the op so fucking stupid I'm not sure they serious or joke posts
"A female friend ends texts with a "x", I think this means she in love with me right? Should I propose?"

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, I just don't think I have the time for Destiny. I'm sure it's fun and all, but even the most ardent fans (sploatee) say it's basically a pointless timesink at the end of the day. I'm going to be all hip and alternative and get the new CoD; turn my brain off and be entertained by 7-8 hours of hollow, shiny bombast then dip into the multi as and when I fancy.

Fuck feeling obligated to play, I ain't about that life!

"A female friend ends texts with a "x", I think this means she in love with me right? Should I propose?"

Propose, no. Send a picture of your dick, hell yes.

Skele7on

Banned
I'm at the bit where you have to get to the internal comms and I thought I managed to sneak past a room with a few in but I heard the music start up a bit, didn't really think much of it and carried on. Then I turned around and one was suddenly moving towards me. Freaked out a little and shot it dead, which brought over another which I killed and then another and I ran out of ammo and there was no room to escape :(((((((

I find that stunning them is a better option then beating them to death.
On hard they take far too many shots to kill and all kinds get wise to where you are.

FYI I dunno how I did it, but I once threw a pipe bomb at one and it hit him directly,
A second later the trophy popped for only using the maintenance wrench...
I felt like a king.

The game is both punishing and brilliant.

Reknoc

I find that stunning them is a better option then beating them to death.
On hard they take far too many shots to kill and all kinds get wise to where you are.

FYI I dunno how I did it, but I once threw a pipe bomb at one and it hit him directly,
A second later the trophy popped for only using the maintenance wrench...
I felt like a king.

The game is both punishing and brilliant.

I didn't even think of what else I had in my inventory, I was kinda freaking out lol for whatever reason all I could think of having was some noise makers

Skele7on

Banned
I didn't even think of what else I had in my inventory, I was kinda freaking out lol for whatever reason all I could think of having was some noise makers

laughed so hard at the thought of you panicking and just throwing flares and all sorts.

Meanwhile having an emp grenade that was good to go.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
And you were telling me I need to watch more movies!

El oh fucking el
Well...DO IT! You will never realise the greatness that is The Wolf of Wall Street. We all know that judging from the ending of that movie, the whole business side of things is all a cycle. Now...

peninhandjul05_05.jpg

Sell me this pen.

Mikeside

Well...DO IT! You will never realise the greatness that is The Wolf of Wall Street. We all know that judging from the ending of that movie, the whole business side of things is all a cycle. Now...

peninhandjul05_05.jpg

Sell me this pen.

It really isn't a great movie.
Far too long & it felt like it didn't really have an identity. Not impactful or honest enough to be a serious take on the subject, nowhere near funny enough to be a comedy.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
It really isn't a great movie.
Far too long & it felt like it didn't really have an identity. Not impactful or honest enough to be a serious take on the subject, nowhere near funny enough to be a comedy.
But...the Popeye scene...

Ehhh. At least I'm willing to believe this one instead of Jim's "one of the worst I've seen", because that just cannot happen if you've supposedly seen a lot of movies.

jimbor

Banned
But...the Popeye scene...

Ehhh. At least I'm willing to believe this one instead of Jim's "one of the worst I've seen", because that just cannot happen if you've supposedly seen a lot of movies.

Trust me, brah. That movie absolutely bored me to tears. Michael knows what's up. Knowing what Scorsese is capable of and then being served up that steaming turd is an insult. Fair enough he's shot but I believed he had one great film left in him. Given the hype I was expecting that to be Wolf but alas.

As for films, I had such a vast video collection growing up that I used to rent them out to people in school. This was pre Internet, when a large collection took time to amass.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Trust me, brah. That movie absolutely bored me to tears. Michael knows what's up. Knowing what Scorsese is capable of and then being served up that steaming turd is an insult. Fair enough he's shot but I believed he had one great film left in him. Given the hype I was expecting that to be Wolf but alas.

As for films, I had such a vast video collection growing up that I used to rent them out to people in school. This was pre Internet, when a large collection took time to amass.
You didn't happen to like Hugo either, did you?

For such a great, and not to mention long, movie I'm surprised you've chosen to mention this scene twice in your case.
That was just me fake defending the movie.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Wolf was a 90 minute film stretched over 180 minutes for no good reason. The excess dulled the impact of the film and blunted the satire. Some great set pieces, but definitely not as good as some people say. I also don't buy that the bloat matches the themes of the film; I just think it's Scorsese late period in a nutshell. He's still incredibly talented and you're always watching somebody who knows how to film cinema, but there's just no real impact because it goes on and on (The Aviator, Gangs of New York...).

Taxi Driver is the only film of his that I'd say is 'that good'. The rest I can take or leave, although the Departed and Shutter Island were both lots of fun.

I think I'm also a bit jaded on Scorsese because he's always the 'go to' director whenever English speakers put together one of those top ten of ALL TIME lists. His films are pretty shallow imo. Excess, masculinity, sin and repentance. Lots of crime and usually lots of glamourising crime / 'naughtiness'. Harrumph.

It was all better in my day. Back in 1968, things were really happening.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
15p!

....cheaper than the mirror.

Would love to hear the editorial conversations at the Star. Like, is the Star actually a clever satire on the tabloid scene? Is Armando Iannucci actually their EIC?

I'm still upset about them for lying repeatedly that there was a Kelly Brook sextape, wasting my valuable time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom