• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Ah, Idle Hands. The movie that introduced the world to the inimitable feminine charms/superlative acting talents of Jessica Alba:

osSGmYr.jpg

Pretty enjoyable movie to be fair, decent horror comedy.

8bit

Knows the Score
Pretty good soundtrack, but not as good as Spawn. That was my go to soundtrack album for years.

I seemed to remember the soundtrack was good, but on looking at the titles I'd be hard pushed to remember any of the tracks. Might go looking for it in the basement though.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
OK another really fascinating post coming...

We got our Wii U today so I thought I'd blarble out my thoughts....

Firstly, how many bloody updates does it need? It took about an hour and a half of faffing with downloading and installing updates and account logins before we could do anything, and every single game we've played so far needs to install an update before it begins.

Mario Kart on Off-TV play is the best looking game I've ever seen. It looks better than any PS4 game I've played yet. It's probably because it's all that detail shrunk to a small screen size, but there's no slow down - nothing. It reminds me of seeing Daytona USA for the first time and being blown away. It makes Remote Play seem a bit stodgy, but I get that they are two different things.

Super Mario Bros U was loads of fun as a co-op game. Loads of fun.

I've just spent an hour with Wonderful 101 (it's my first ever Platinum game) and it reminds me of Viewtiful Joe crossed with Army Corps of Hell (or Pikmin). I like the fact there is singing on the soundtrack and it feels very Sega to me. Which is my home turf! I'll have to see if I can get into it though, it's not the friendliest game. I've figured out that by turning into jelly I can bounce attacks off me and some of the basics, but it feels like I don't really understand the game yet.

I tried a twin stick shooter game called Nano Assault Neo but it just made me want to play Super Stardust on the Vita again.

So there you go. Very interesting stuff, I know. The Off TV stuff works around the flat too, so I'm looking forward to being able to treat the Wii U as basically a handheld alongside my Vita. Next gen only matters if I can play it on a handheld!

I was going to ramble on about how the OS seems really backwards and all that, but the main thing is that it works. I'm getting very, very tired of PSN. It's out again tonight, which means no Destiny crack. Even when it does work, it's so infuriating having to wait five minutes just to see my friends list or even longer to find a player and send out a friend request. If the Xbox had a remote play thingy, I'd be seriously thinking about getting rid of the PS4 - it's that frustrating. Anyway, there you go. Night night!

NinjaBoiX

Hatred (trailer)

Wow, this is pretty fucked up. I don't know if it's just me getting old or what, I'm not usually bothered about the violent context of videogames, but I watched this just thinking "really?". Raised eyebrows to say the least. It's all just a bit too close to home.

Nope, bad apple this one IMO.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hatred (trailer)

Wow, this is pretty fucked up. I don't know if it's just me getting old or what, I'm not usually bothered about the violent context of videogames, but I watched this just thinking "really?". Raised eyebrows to say the least. It's all just a bit too close to home.

Well, this is going to do down well.

Should make it about GamerGate and have you kill anyone who is a SJW. For the lulz.

Videogames, eh?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hatred (trailer)

The fuck? That's disgusting. ban this sick filth!

Like, actually.

Reknoc

Seems like Postal without any of the cartoony selfawareness. Pretty gross really.

And Sploat, it'll take a while to properly understand W101 yeah, doesn't help that the game hides its defensive mechanics. On the outside it looks like Viewtiful Pikmin but its actually probably closer to a character action version of Okami

Morning everyone, happy Friday!

So what's everyone up to this weekend?

I have 2 comic cons I'm working. Up to Leamington Spa tomorrow with Tpub, then Winter London Film and Comic Con on Sunday with Beyond the Bunker. Gonna be up super early both days. Anyone going along to either come say hi!

SmokyDave

Hatred (trailer)

Yeah, I'll just come out and say it. That looks cool and I'd buy it.

I have no issue with any level of violence in videogames beyond a futile wish that it could be consumed by adults only.

I have 2 comic cons I'm working. Up to Leamington Spa tomorrow with Tpub, then Winter London Film and Comic Con on Sunday with Beyond the Bunker. Gonna be up super early both days. Anyone going along to either come say hi!
Hey Mush, good to see ya!

8bit

Knows the Score
It took me some time to figure out W101, but I had a great time doing it as the singalong soundtrack made it all such a jolly time.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Probably another homebody weekend. We're going out for lunch tomorrow and then to the pet store. The rest of the weekend will probably be us playing a mario of some variety, me grinding Destiny and working out how to play W101, playing a bit of guitar and playing with Dr Herbert Acknowledge Humphrey Harpurhey Ackbert Grey and Mr Frank Francis Franciscus "Bastard" Orangensaft Orange.

SmokyDave

Probably another homebody weekend. We're going out for lunch tomorrow and then to the pet store. The rest of the weekend will probably be us playing a mario of some variety, me grinding Destiny and working out how to play W101, playing a bit of guitar and playing with Dr Herbert Acknowledge Humphrey Harpurhey Ackbert Grey and Mr Frank Francis Franciscus "Bastard" Orangensaft Orange.
Don't buy fish. Fish are shit.

Also, secret American spotted. What the fuck is a pet store? Is it like a pet shop but the cashiers clap after you buy something?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Don't buy fish. Fish are shit.

Also, secret American spotted. What the fuck is a pet store? Is it like a pet shop but the cashiers clap after you buy something?

Oi! Watch it or I'll call the cops!

I like fish. I miss our fish. They were my friends.

No, it's to buy lots of hay and sawdust and maybe some new toys for the dudes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Got nada on this weekend, all my plans have fallen through leaving me on my own. Mrs is out skating in some far off land on sunday, band practice is cancelled. Was going to meet up with a mate tomorrow but he's not about now.

So pretty much a weekend of self abuse and self obliteration.

Mikeside

Got nada on this weekend, all my plans have fallen through leaving me on my own. Mrs is out skating in some far off land on sunday, band practice is cancelled. Was going to meet up with a mate tomorrow but he's not about now.

So pretty much a weekend of self abuse and self obliteration.

Maybe a visit from Mikeside and the Lady Z?

jimbor

Banned
Mate's mini flatwarming tonight and then fuck all for this rest of the weekend. Could've worked but couldn't be arsed, exec though I could do with the money.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
agh, discovered a minor fuckup at work. No lasting implications but godamn I hate it when I do something stupid :( time to beat myself up for a bit.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It took me some time to figure out W101, but I had a great time doing it as the singalong soundtrack made it all such a jolly time.

It's very funny.

Seems like Postal without any of the cartoony selfawareness. Pretty gross really.

And Sploat, it'll take a while to properly understand W101 yeah, doesn't help that the game hides its defensive mechanics. On the outside it looks like Viewtiful Pikmin but its actually probably closer to a character action version of Okami

That's a good point, I suppose it is like Okami (or what I've seen of it). The game seems to hide most of its mechanics! I don't mind though.

RiggyRob

OK another really fascinating post coming...

We got our Wii U today so I thought I'd blarble out my thoughts....

Firstly, how many bloody updates does it need? It took about an hour and a half of faffing with downloading and installing updates and account logins before we could do anything, and every single game we've played so far needs to install an update before it begins.

To be fair it is almost 2 years old now, and there's been a fair amount of updates since it launched.

RE Hatred - I'd like to say that it's awful and the brutality is shocking, but considering one of my favourite games on X360 was about chainsawing aliens in half, I don't really have a leg to stand on. Plus since the US is such a gun-happy place and things like this get covered a lot, I'm guess I'm used to it by now.

My first thought was '...isometric? Really?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
We'll be moving shit tomorrow morning & maybe most of the day, but I'm sure we could find some time in the late afternoon or evening. If not, sunday late morning?

Yeah man, whenever you guys have time. If you can't no worries at all, I know how busy and stressful moving house is, wouldn't blame you at all if you wanted to barricade yourselves in for a few days!

Reknoc

It's very funny.

That's a good point, I suppose it is like Okami (or what I've seen of it). The game seems to hide most of its mechanics! I don't mind though.

I dunno if you plan to make use of the WiiU's backwards compatibility to play Endless Ocean 2 the GOAT game or if the Wii port of Okami is any good, but if you are and it is then it's definitely worth giving it a look if you can find it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
To be fair it is almost 2 years old now, and there's been a fair amount of updates since it launched.

RE Hatred - I'd like to say that it's awful and the brutality is shocking, but considering one of my favourite games on X360 was about chainsawing aliens in half, I don't really have a leg to stand on. Plus since the US is such a gun-happy place and things like this get covered a lot, I'm guess I'm used to it by now.

My first thought was '...isometric? Really?

Key word - aliens. Not begging, crying, prostrate humans, glorifying mass murders that have actually happened. It's not just content it's tone as well - you can do similar things in GTA, but that game is not purely about the murder of innocents whereas this seems to be only about it.

Mikeside

Yeah man, whenever you guys have time. If you can't no worries at all, I know how busy and stressful moving house is, wouldn't blame you at all if you wanted to barricade yourselves in for a few days!

To be fair, she finds it stressful, I've been fine.
But I guess it's not me moving yet.

I just can't wait to put all my stuff in the new place and make it mine.

You and the mrs wanna come for dinner to break the new place in in a few weeks?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
To be fair, she finds it stressful, I've been fine.
But I guess it's not me moving yet.

I just can't wait to put all my stuff in the new place and make it mine.

You and the mrs wanna come for dinner to break the new place in in a few weeks?

Hells yeah man, totally! Wanna see Chez Mike :D

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I don't know how I can go from engineering maths that makes me want to pull my hair out to digital logic being explained in such detail my 13 year old sister would understand from the get go, how it takes 30 fucking minutes to explain an AND logic gate is beyond insane

NinjaBoiX

Two cons in one weekend? Christmas came early for you Mush! Have fun mate.

I'm out for a meal and drinks with some peeps tonight, at Mint Lounge all day tomorrow working an indie music festival then Funkademia, then a day trip with the bro down to Lancaster on Sunday (hometown visit baby!).
Yeah, that's what struck me as so fucked up about it, such a PC-faced, serious tone while your terrorise and mow down screaming innocents Smash TV style. It's the running and screaming that makes it worse.

As you say, I watched it and thought, "Yeah, that's just kind of gross".

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Two cons in one weekend? Christmas came early for you Mush! Have fun mate.

I'm out for a meal and drinks with some peeps tonight, at Mint Lounge all day tomorrow working an indie music festival then Funkademia, then a day trip with the bro down to Lancaster on Sunday (hometown visit baby!).

Yeah, that's what struck me as so fucked up about it, such a PC-faced, serious tone while your terrorise and mow down screaming innocents Smash TV style. It's the running and screaming that makes it worse.

As you say, I watched it and thought, "Yeah, that's just kind of gross".

I was thinking about it instead of working. Is it that different to something like Human Centipede or A Serbian Film or Cannibal Holocaust?

It's sort of like an exploitation game in a way. It's just that instead of acknowledging that the devs seem to be tossers who just want to impress everyone with how daring as imaginative they are.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Hatred (trailer)

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with 'murder simulators' if you want to put it like that, but the revelations about the developers' political affiliations and the races of victims in the trailer make this a very... questionable product. The trailer made me feel uncomfortable.

Congratulations on the Wii U, Sploatee. It is a really good console. Don't forget to pick up Pikmin 3 (pro-tip: it controls better with Wiimote and Nunchuck) and Super Mario 3D World. Also, Earthbound from the Virtual Console.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with 'murder simulators' if you want to put it like that, but the revelations about the developers' political affiliations and the races of victims in the trailer make this a very... questionable product. The trailer made me feel uncomfortable.

Congratulations on the Wii U, Sploatee. It is a really good console. Don't forget to pick up Pikmin 3 (pro-tip: it controls better with Wiimote and Nunchuck) and Super Mario 3D World. Also, Earthbound from the Virtual Console.

I think if that trailer had been a minute longer I might have rolled a tear, it was horrifying, far and above the cartoon violence of something like a GTA. Seeing a woman knocked down, scrabbling backwards while the MC stands over her, puts a gun in her mouth and fires... nobody needs to be playing it, it's fucking disgusting. I would happily punch anyone who bought this in the face.

SmokyDave

Do you think it would be better, or worse, if the main character of Hatred was an overt racist?

I've been wondering that. I have no issue with the tone or theme of the game, but if the devs are going to be up front, they really ought to go all the way. Being frank about making a murder sim I can respect, but if it has got an obvious racial edge and they try to pretend otherwise, I can't respect that at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oi! Watch it or I'll call the cops!

I like fish. I miss our fish. They were my friends.

No, it's to buy lots of hay and sawdust and maybe some new toys for the dudes.

what pets do you have? Daughter is constantly going on about having a pet, and it doesn't help that her friend's parents run a pet shop.

My wife was thinking hamster or something small, but I know it'll get out and chew my wires and they die really easily.

what pets do you have? Daughter is constantly going on about having a pet, and it doesn't help that her friend's parents run a pet shop.

My wife was thinking hamster or something small, but I know it'll get out and chew my wires and they die really easily.

Rats make excellent pets. They're a lot tamer and more intelligent than hamsters/gerbils etc, but still small enough so they're easy to look after.

Mikeside

I think that fucked up game highlights something for me.

Mechanically the gun play looks fun and the destruction looks great, but the context of horrible and really makes me uncomfortable.

It kind of shows the knife edge of making an enjoyable experience out of abhorrent actions.

NinjaBoiX

Hey 8bit, you heard the new Calvin Harris track yet? It's a lil' bit of a choon like, I reckon it'll sizzle your bacon:

Calvin Harris - Slow Acid

Reminds me of late 90's acid house/techno ala Fluke, The Crystal Method, F.S.O.L, etc. That "woo!" vocal sample might as well be a timestamp.

That Hatred trailer...the tone was hilariously try hard, like someone tried to design the edgiest, most shock-your-grandparents game ever. The actual violence is probably less extreme than Hotline Miami's, it's just more graphicly portrayed at high res. Though there is the innocents victims vs mobsters angle. What's the political affiliations thing someone mentioned earlier? Can't be bothered to google.

Anyway, sploatee if you like Wonderful 101 and enjoyed the motion picture "Space Jam" you might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjR7JZbdONs

Reknoc

That Hatred trailer...the tone was hilariously try hard, like someone tried to design the edgiest, most shock-your-grandparents game ever. The actual violence is probably less extreme than Hotline Miami's, it's just more graphicly portrayed at high res. Though there is the innocents victims vs mobsters angle. What's the political affiliations thing someone mentioned earlier? Can't be bothered to google.

Anyway, sploatee if you like Wonderful 101 and enjoyed the motion picture "Space Jam" you might like this:

implying that there's someone out there that doesn't enjoy space jam

NinjaBoiX

It's more the victims screaming pleading and trying to get away that's so offensive to me
Yeah, it's like Jed said, the close up cinematics depicting you stalking up to a pleading, terrified civilian to blow their brains out is just vile. You can almost see the bullet points on the back of the box:

• Slay your helpless quarry with a variety of automatic weapons and sharp implements!
  • Detailed close ups of their final, whimpering moments in glorious HD!
  • Watch as their puny, worthless skulls explode at the mercy of your arsenal!
  • Realistic screaming sounds captured from real terrorist attacks!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Thank you Mr / Mrs Cassano 1!

They're on the extensive list. There are so many well regarded games...

We have two increasingly huge guinea pigs. They're perfect pets for children. Really tame, very playful and communicative and generally very funny. They're prey animals so naturally terrified of everything (which can be hilarious sometimes), but once they get used to you they're very sociable. Very very talkative.

We're hoping to get a dwarf hamster early in the new year. I'd like to get some fish after that but I don't think my partner is aware of that yet!

We're set on getting a bulldog and a dachshund when we finally stop renting.

I don't think I've ever seen space jam. I will click!

SmokyDave

Yeah, it's like Jed said, the close up cinematics depicting you stalking up to a pleading, terrified civilian to blow their brains out is just vile. You can almost see the bullet points on the back of the box:

• Slay your helpless quarry with a variety of automatic weapons and sharp implements!
  • Detailed close ups of their final, whimpering moments in glorious HD!
  • Watch as their puny, worthless skulls explode at the mercy of your arsenal!
  • Realistic screaming sounds captured from real terrorist attacks!
Reminds me of the blurb for the greatest game of all time, and an unparalleled achievement in interactive entertainment:

"Choose one of four warriors and slam your enemies to the concrete with dazzling martial arts moves! Bash 'em with pipes or slash 'em with knives and ninja weapons! Get ready for the hottest street combat ever as once more you walk the Streets of Rage!"

...I should probably go and play this now I've taken it off the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom