• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I bought two copies of RPG maker on Steam and several packs of DLC. I even talked to Screaming Meat and Sploatee a couple times about ideas.
let's write a britgaf fantasty book!
let's make a britgaf romcom!
let's collaborate on a britgaf multimedia art piece!
let's have pass 'round the collection plate for me to get an xbox one, britgaf style!

on a more serious note how is it that i can happily bash out a load of gumpf for my stupid novel but can't spend ten minutes applying for Actual Real jobs?
You participating in NaNo?

Edit: Ignore that, Spotify was playing in the background when I unmuted my laptop.
Sonic Youth
NRaQlzU.gif

EDIT: Here's a fun gif

http://i.imgur.com/02CRVyW.gifv

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I don't have enough facial hair or plaid shirts to be in a country band I'm afraid.

Shame.

PS gonna try the hard raid on Sunday while Emma is out all day. I should be level 30 by then with fully upgraded raid guns etc. it's probably going to be my farewell to destiny until the DLC comes out. Let me know if you fancy it.

Omg yes I've always wanted to start a country band! I nearly got one going once, had a drummer, double bass player and mandolin player, just couldn't find a guitarist :(

I am the guitarist!!! Let's do this!! I'm not sure how but I will put in the hours!
I have a twangy tremolo for my guitar and EVERYTHING and I don't even use distortion!

But we have to do some early r and b stuff (Sam Cooke etc) and also some stax-y type things, ok?

Ah there's a link there now! Ok will look

Same thing that happened to the BritGAF RPG Maker game.

We failed you JB. 😕 you had an American work ethic going and we were typically indecisive.

jimbor

Banned
Shame.

PS gonna try the hard raid on Sunday while Emma is out all day. I should be level 30 by then with fully upgraded raid guns etc. it's probably going to be my farewell to destiny until the DLC comes out. Let me know if you fancy it.

I am the guitarist!!! Let's do this!! I'm not sure how but I will put in the hours!
I have a twangy tremolo for my guitar and EVERYTHING and I don't even use distortion!

But we have to do some early r and b stuff (Sam Cooke etc) and also some stax-y type things, ok?

Ah there's a link there now! Ok will look

We failed you JB. 😕 you had an American work ethic going and we were typically indecisive.

MOAR STAX!

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Nowt. Feelsgoodman

Anyone know where in central Manc you could stay a night on the cheap? I'm thinkin premier inn or somethin idk

Volotaire

Oh EGX Rezzed is in London next year. I don't like how they switched around the two honestly, but I guess ti helps congestion for the bigger event in London.

EDIT: Anyone been to Video Games Live and can vouch for the quality? I'm thinking of purchasing a ticket.

NinjaBoiX

Hey man! I was just thinking yesterday, "What happened to that Meat dude? Haven't seen him in a few weeks. He was cool."

Good to see you back in the fold breh.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
EDIT: Anyone been to Video Games Live and can vouch for the quality? I'm thinking of purchasing a ticket.
Yes, many years ago, think around 2007-8ish. Looking back it was OK. Certainly an experience to hear videogame music performed live, but I'd say there were three major drawbacks.
  1. The MC, Tommy Tallarico, insisted on the audience making some noise. This is a music concert so people being encouraged to cheer and whoop during performances was not appreciated. Especially as they often cheered not for the music but because they recognised some footage of the game on show.
  2. The music itself was often from soundtracks that were already orchestral sounding so there wasn't really much of a transformation (especially when you consider real orchestras are now used for videogame soundtracks). Even worse was some of the arrangements were not even new. For example, the Zelda performance was identical to the arrangement from the Japanese Orchestral Game Concerts from 1991. Considering the age of this piece (and the fact I'm a fairly big Zelda fan) it was basically the orchestral Zelda arrangement that floated around the web for years so hearing it again was a bit mundane. Why not something completely different like the DK Rap. Now that performed by an orchestra and choir would be interesting!
  3. You're always going to prefer music from games you know so depending of the set list you may have to sit through pieces you don't really care for. Of course if you appreciate all sorts of music this shouldn't be a problem.

Of course this is just my opinion, and it's a bit clouded because I'm started to find video game music meets classical orchestra a bit old hat. If it was something different like jazz, electro, even polka, I'd be more interested. Of course it's been about seven years so things may have improved (like not using a 23 year old arrangement for Zelda considering that ignore the whole series bar three games!) and basically a lot of the big games of the previous generation hadn't even come out by then. I say go for it. These are just nitpicks, I still had an enjoyable time and don't regret it.

Looking back at this I remembered one audience member asking Tommy for Earthworm Jim music (since he helped with the composition of that game). Looking around YouTube I see it has finally been done. That's more like it. More arrangements for music that didn't originally sound like it was performed by an orchestral please (real or not)

NinjaBoiX

Why do certain electical products like shavers and hoovers have a "turbo" button? Just in case you occasionally want them to work a bit shit?

All they're doing is providing an extra button for you to push.

It's a backwards step.

Volotaire

Yes, many years ago, think around 2007-8ish. Looking back it was OK. Certainly an experience to hear videogame music performed live, but I'd say there were three major drawbacks.
  1. The MC, Tommy Tallarico, insisted on the audience making some noise. This is a music concert so people being encouraged to cheer and whoop during performances was not appreciated. Especially as they often cheered not for the music but because they recognised some footage of the game on show.
  2. The music itself was often from soundtracks that were already orchestral sounding so there wasn't really much of a transformation (especially when you consider real orchestras are now used for videogame soundtracks). Even worse was some of the arrangements were not even new. For example, the Zelda performance was identical to the arrangement from the Japanese Orchestral Game Concerts from 1991. Considering the age of this piece (and the fact I'm a fairly big Zelda fan) it was basically the orchestral Zelda arrangement that floated around the web for years so hearing it again was a bit mundane. Why not something completely different like the DK Rap. Now that performed by an orchestra and choir would be interesting!
  3. You're always going to prefer music from games you know so depending of the set list you may have to sit through pieces you don't really care for. Of course if you appreciate all sorts of music this shouldn't be a problem.

Of course this is just my opinion, and it's a bit clouded because I'm started to find video game music meets classical orchestra a bit old hat. If it was something different like jazz, electro, even polka, I'd be more interested. Of course it's been about seven years so things may have improved (like not using a 23 year old arrangement for Zelda considering that ignore the whole series bar three games!) and basically a lot of the big games of the previous generation hadn't even come out by then. I say go for it. These are just nitpicks, I still had an enjoyable time and don't regret it.

Looking back at this I remembered one audience member asking Tommy for Earthworm Jim music (since he helped with the composition of that game). Looking around YouTube I see it has finally been done. That's more like it. More arrangements for music that didn't originally sound like it was performed by an orchestral please (real or not)

Woah thanks for the info and opinions! The audience making noise part is probably the part that would absolutely infuriate me. And the arrangements being very similar.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
It may not be completely related to this thread but I'll ask nonetheless (doesn't seem like you're discussing anything of much importance anyhow).

It has been decided (don't judge me!) that I'm travelling with a couple of friends to London late next week.
So I was looking around at how to spend my time and I figured I should spend at least a day or two outside of London. I'm really interested in science and I don't like big cities that much, so I figured I'd go to Cambridge and/or Oxford for that time.

Can anyone recommend one or the other? Or maybe nearby locations which I could also go to? It didn't seem like going to both would save much time, even though they're both north of London.
If anyone has any other special tips he'd like to bestow (other than "don't go") that'll be cool. That or a free bed.

Volotaire

It may not be completely related to this thread but I'll ask nonetheless (doesn't seem like you're discussing anything of much importance anyhow).

It has been decided (don't judge me!) that I'm travelling with a couple of friends to London late next week.
So I was looking around at how to spend my time and I figured I should spend at least a day or two outside of London. I'm really interested in science and I don't like big cities that much, so I figured I'd go to Cambridge and/or Oxford for that time.

Can anyone recommend one or the other? Or maybe nearby locations which I could also go to? It didn't seem like going to both would save much time, even though they're both north of London.
If anyone has any other special tips he'd like to bestow (other than "don't go") that'll be cool. That or a free bed.

I'm more of a Cambridge guy because I've only visited Cambridge, but apparently Oxford is the more beautiful city with better features and landmarks. Also, apparently Bath is quite a good place to visit for historical sites given the Romanesque monuments. I'm don't see how the science part fits into this. Apart from these cities, the only other place I'd recommend to a tourist is Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom