• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Do you mean The Seventh Seal? It's definitely worth seeing. He directed a film called Persona which is probably the best film I've ever seen. It has no relation to anime. It's about identity and loss.
I might give them a watch if I ever get the chance (I wonder if Film4 ever plays them. They seem to be more out there in what they tend to show compared to Sky).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So just saw Interstellar.

It's going to divide people. I thought it was good. It made me cry a bit (not hard to do) but it's not my favourite of his films. It's also very sentimental, so if the emotional hooks don't connect with you, you might find it a bit of an empty spectacle. But it's BIG spectacle.

in reference to that Dapper Laughs bellend and everyone suddenly becoming very aware of how rapey he is

I have no idea who that is. But he does not own the d word and neither do I. I'm sure he wishes he could be as cool as me though.

Interstellar ist gud. Can't say much more without spoiling, I liked it more than "well dressed men shoot everything in heroically unimaginative dreamscapes" aka Inception.

I hope Nolan lets Michael Cane out of his basement after this film though, the guy needs to realise there are other actors out there who can play more than one character.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I have no idea who that is. But he does not own the d word and neither do I. I'm sure he wishes he could be as cool as me though.

Interstellar ist gud. Can't say much more without spoiling, I liked it more than "well dressed men shoot everything in heroically unimaginative dreamscapes" aka Inception.

I hope Nolan lets Michael Cane out of his basement after this film though, the guy needs to realise there are other actors out there who can play more than one character.

Ah! I adored inception.

Did you find the end of Interstellar satisfying?

NinjaBoiX

I do really want to see Interstellar. I probably won't get around to it of course, but the intent is there!
in reference to that Dapper Laughs bellend and everyone suddenly becoming very aware of how rapey he is
That plucky cockney filming himself throwing lewd, cheesy chat up lines at pretty girls in the street?

Yeah, he's basically a sex criminal.

Not sure how fair that is like. A city folding in on itself like the pages of a book? Woah...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Should've called it 'Exposition'. Ha.

Having said that, it's a brilliant idea... on paper. I just felt the dialogue was dire and quite hard to get through.

Really?! Inception was one of the best things I've ever seen in a cinema. I was completely swept away by it. I think a lot of the time I'm caught up in how films look and sound rather than the dialogue, and Inception sounded amazing.

Inception was fun the first time...until you try to watch it again and then you realise just how flawed the movie is.

What flaws? Pre-emptively - I'm not saying it's flawless, but you're implying there's quite a few!

Nerdkiller

Membeur
What flaws? Pre-emptively - I'm not saying it's flawless, but you're implying there's quite a few!
Well you know...the whole exposition thing. Nolan never seems to trust his audience well enough to understand these things (and I hear that it continues on in Interstellar). And for a world in which you're forbidden to imagine real life places, the movie doesn't really do a good job at making a more abstract environment that takes advantage of that fact, instead looking like every other big city, including the final floor with all the crumbling buildings. I'm not saying stuff like "why don't they imagine a tank" or some other big weapon, because that would more than likely break the already faulty logic of the movie. I doubt I would like Interstellar all that much now knowing stuff like this (especially knowing that Spielberg was once attached to it and that he would really hit the emotional beats of that movie out of the park).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Really?! Inception was one of the best things I've ever seen in a cinema. I was completely swept away by it. I think a lot of the time I'm caught up in how films look and sound rather than the dialogue, and Inception sounded amazing.

It is a great looking (and sounding) movie with some really great ideas, I'm simply not a big fan of tons and tons of obvious exposition, it drags me out of a movie. I'd rather not know what's going on in a movie and have to piece it together afterwards, than have characters sit down and explain everything in detail for a third of the running time.

EDIT: That's not to say I hated it btw, but it won't be breaking my Top 100 anytime soon. :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well you know...the whole exposition thing. Nolan never seems to trust his audience well enough to understand these things (and I hear that it continues on in Interstellar). And for a world in which you're forbidden to imagine real life places, the movie doesn't really do a good job at making a more abstract environment that takes advantage of that fact, instead looking like every other big city, including the final floor with all the crumbling buildings. I'm not saying stuff like "why don't they imagine a tank" or some other big weapon, because that would more than likely break the already faulty logic of the movie. I doubt I would like Interstellar all that much now knowing stuff like this (especially knowing that Spielberg was once attached to it and that he would really hit the emotional beats of that movie out of the park).

Spielberg was attached to it? Even though it was a Nolan script? Interstellar actually feels quite Spielbergian, especially in its first act.

I've heard the criticism of Inception's visuals before - that whole idea that the dream looks pretty mundane. I don't mind it for the same reason I don't mind the exposition - I find the ideas fascinating. The idea of the subconscious as a city, with memories in houses down streets - I think there's something special in that, despite how grey it all is.

I actually think that Inception trusts the audience quite a lot, especially for a Hollywood film. Interstellar does have a chunk of exposition but it feels more like a lecture on relativity and gravity than dialogue (which, as you might have guessed, I liked because the ideas are fascinating).

I think Nolan's a fantastic director of blockbusters and I admire how he seems to always be striving for big or cosmic ideas . I like that kind of thing and I don't see it around much.

He's probably overrated by some, but he makes films that (for me) seem designed for the cinema and use the big screen and big sound in a really elegant way. I think time will be very kind to his films.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It is a great looking (and sounding) movie with some really great ideas, I'm simply not a big fan of tons and tons of obvious exposition, it drags me out of a movie. I'd rather not know what's going on in a movie and have to piece it together afterwards, than have characters sit down and explain everything in detail for a third of the running time.

EDIT: That's not to say I hated it btw, but it won't be breaking my Top 100 anytime soon. :)

I don't know if Inception would have worked without the tutorial that Leonardo DC gives to Ellen Page. It is a Hollywood action film, after all. It's mostly about boom ,bang and effects.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if Inception would have worked without the tutorial that Leonardo DC gives to Ellen Page. It is a Hollywood action film, after all. It's mostly about boom ,bang and effects.

Mebee. Mebee nut.

I prefer Nolan when he plays it low key but toys with big ideas: The Dark Knight, Memento, The Prestige etc. I guess I expected more of an actual heist movie; after all, Nolan is a crime/noir fiend, by all accounts.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Mebee. Mebee nut.

I prefer Nolan when he plays it low key but toys with big ideas: The Dark Knight, Memento, The Prestige etc. I guess I expected more of an actual heist movie; after all, Nolan is a crime/noir fiend, by all accounts.

I get what you mean, even if I don't agree on Inception!

The Dark Knight is sort of fake low-key, isn't it? It's really quite epic and grand but you don't notice until it's over. The Dark Knight Rises was the opposite, all scale and no substance.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

I'm not a big Nolan fan, but I'd say the Prestige is an example of him trusting the audience. Coincidentally it is also his best film. I feel like it has been downhill since then, sadly.

EDIT: I attended a Q+A with Christopher Priest once (author of the Prestige). Lovely guy, he had a great story about how everyone always seems to think he's dead. It is a shame most of the questions were from nerds who just ask the most boring things. He did appreciate the quality of the film(which is better than the book), which was nice.

NinjaBoiX

I just watched Momento again the other night, it's so good man. The pacing is excellent, I love how the audience is piecing together the mystery as Leonard is. Until that fantastic twist where you're just like, "well shit".

Speaking of the ending, that last line, "Now, where was I".

Genius.

I'm a sucker for really confident yet subtle endings.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I get what you mean, even if I don't agree on Inception!

The Dark Knight is sort of fake low-key, isn't it? It's really quite epic and grand but you don't notice until it's over. The Dark Knight Rises was the opposite, all scale and no substance.

I dunno. After all the epic, globe trotting, boat exploding, city shattering shenanigans of Begins, Nolan seemed to deliberately scale back for The Dark Knight.

As I recall, they only leave Gotham once in the entire movie, otherwise it's all dingy alleys, a kitchen, a barroom, a bank or two, a restaurant, a penthouse, a night club, a main road, and a couple of construction sites (for the most part classic Noir staples). Japan was the most ostentatious moment and that pretty much closes Act One. Any epic is generated by the characters themselves (as it should be!).

What I love about it is how it isn't really a straight comic book movie. Instead it's polemic Michael Mann crime caper with a few dudes who happen to have either garish dress sense or third degree burns.

Don't even get me started on Rises and Tom Hardy's Connery meets Partridge voice. Every time he punched someone I imagined him saying "AHA!" :D

I just watched Momento again the other night, it's so good man. The pacing is excellent, I love how the audience is piecing together the mystery as Leonard is. Until that fantastic twist where you're just like, "well shit".

Speaking of the ending, that last line, "Now, where was I".

Genius.

I'm a sucker for really confident yet subtle endings.

Preach it. Phenomenal movie.

Best lines are:

"How many rooms have I booked out in this shit hole?"

and

"Am I chasing him or is he chasing me?"

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I dunno. After all the epic, globe trotting, boat exploding, city shattering shenanigans of Begins, Nolan seemed to deliberately scale back for The Dark Knight.

As I recall, they only leave Gotham once in the entire movie, otherwise it's all dingy alleys, a kitchen, a barroom, a bank or two, a restaurant, a penthouse, a night club, a main road, and a couple of construction sites. Japan was the most ostentatious moment and that pretty much closes Act One. Any epic is generated by the characters themselves.

What I love about it is how it isn't really a straight comic book movie. Instead it's polemic Michael Mann crime caper with a few dudes who happen to have either garish dress sense or third degree burns.

Don't even get me started on Rises and Tom Hardy's Connery meets Partridge voice. Every time he punched someone I imagined him saying "AHA!" :D

Hmmm. I'm not sure I agree about scaling back but I do agree that the best images were all about character - Joker vs Batman in the road, the prison cell scene and the fundraiser. I'm one of those people that thinks that Heath Ledger's performance was that good. I'm not sure that Two Face needed to be in it - I understand why he was - but I'd have liked it to be half an hour shorter and I thought the third act was the weakest. The film peaked about half way to 2/3rds through, I thought. It lost focus a bit after that. It's still amazing though, I'm just being picky!

I don't really like Michael Mann that much, but I get the comparison. His films are so mumbly. blumble blumble nice urban photography blumble blumble stylish gunfight machismo nice urban photography blumble blumble.

Yeah, Rises. Ugh. What happened?!?! Two or three of the set pieces were so good as well. I felt really disappointed. Like after seeing the Hobbit. Why you do this? Where did your discipline go, incredibly talented persons?!

jimbor

Banned

As I recall, they only leave Gotham once in the entire movie, otherwise it's all dingy alleys, a kitchen, a barroom, a bank or two, a restaurant, a penthouse, a night club, a main road, and a couple of construction sites (for the most part classic Noir staples). Japan was the most ostentatious moment and that pretty much closes Act One. Any epic is generated by the characters themselves (as it should be!).

Best lines are:

and

Every time somebody mentions Michael Mann and TDK in the same sentence, I anally rape a chihuahua.

I hope you're fucking happy.

NinjaBoiX

Best lines are:

and

Yes! Love that line. But to be pedantic, it's actually:

"Am I chasing him? No, he's chasing me."

It's the little pause of realisation that sells it.

One of my favourite scenes is where Natalie
taunts Leonard into punching her, then goes and waits in the car for a few minutes until he forgets about it so she can trick him into killing Dodd
, so clever.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Every time somebody mentions Michael Mann and TDK in the same sentence, I anally rape a chihuahua.

I hope you're fucking happy.

I bet the chihuahua is.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I agree about scaling back but I do agree that the best images were all about character - Joker vs Batman in the road, the prison cell scene and the fundraiser. I'm one of those people that thinks that Heath Ledger's performance was that good. I'm not sure that Two Face needed to be in it - I understand why he was - but I'd have liked it to be half an hour shorter and I thought the third act was the weakest. The film peaked about half way to 2/3rds through, I thought. It lost focus a bit after that. It's still amazing though, I'm just being picky!

Yeah, it is a bit long. Controversially, I liked how they turned Two-Face from a major, long-standing adversary, into an 'incident'.

I don't really like Michael Mann that much, but I get the comparison. His films are so mumbly. blumble blumble nice urban photography blumble blumble stylish gunfight machismo nice urban photography blumble blumble.

Mumble mumble smart-mouth broad mumble mumble ain't even seen The Thief mumble mumble

Yeah, Rises. Ugh. What happened?!?! Two or three of the set pieces were so good as well. I felt really disappointed. Like after seeing the Hobbit. Why you do this? Where did your discipline go, incredibly talented persons?!

The film is a mess. Hathaway's take on Catwoman was pretty...

...cool. Pretty cool. *ahem*

Yes! Love that line. But to be pedantic, it's actually:

"Am I chasing him? No, he's chasing me."

It's the little pause of realisation that sells it.

Shoulda IMDB'd. It's been a while!

One of my favourite scenes is where Natalie
taunts Leonard into punching her, then goes and waits in the car for a few minutes until he forgets about it so she can trick him into killing Dodd
, so clever.

Yes! I remember those few minutes and their palpable sense of dread when I realised what
she's up to

Babymetal are the best live band I've seen this year.

These last few years.

Ever.

Fuck. They were just epic. Seriously so fucking good, I can't even.

Babymetal are the best live band I've seen this year.

These last few years.

Ever.

Fuck. They were just epic. Seriously so fucking good, I can't even.

had the chance to take a friend's tickets after he couldn't attend but NO i had to live up north now and so it was pretty unpossible to attend. bah.
BAH I SAY.

anyway, prestige is nolan's best film. or memento. dark knight rises falls apart at the seams on the second watch, blah.

I also went to see Babymetal. I am crushed and exhausted, but it was a great time.

I spotted someone browsing gaf on their mobile too.

had the chance to take a friend's tickets after he couldn't attend but NO i had to live up north now and so it was pretty unpossible to attend. bah.
BAH I SAY.

I saw a couple there who came from Austria and brought their kids to the show.

Interstellar was a solid film, but it needed editing down a trifle in the last act, the dialogue felt a little awkward at points, and some of the transitions between scenes were very...sudden and disjointed. Plus I got sick of hearing the same orchestral piece over and over.

However that said, as a spectacle, as a story about reaching out and believing in something, I really enjoyed it.

Nightcrawler though. That was such a beautifully shot and acted assassination of American media and the seedy underbelly of doing anything to succeed. Go see it.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Nightcrawler though. That was such a beautifully shot and acted assassination of American media and the seedy underbelly of doing anything to succeed. Go see it.

It is fantastic. Saw it for £4.25 at the Savoy without any prior knowledge and was blown away. Jake Gyllenhaal is incredible and unnerving. It was great to see Riz Ahmed in a Hollywood movie(everyone from Four Lions seems to be doing great, which is wonderful). Plus it was surprisingly funny. It is like a less stylish, more cerebral Drive.

The date scene was maybe the most uncomfortable thing I've seen in the cinema. It is what I imagine when I read that dokish thread.

It could do with a new score, though. The music's weird.

It is fantastic. Saw it for £4.25 at the Savoy without any prior knowledge and was blown away. Jake Gyllenhaal is incredible and unnerving. It was great to see Riz Ahmed in a Hollywood movie(everyone from Four Lions seems to be doing great, which is wonderful). Plus it was surprisingly funny. It is like a less stylish, more cerebral Drive.

The date scene was maybe the most uncomfortable thing I've seen in the cinema. It is what I imagine when I read that dokish thread.

It could do with a new score, though. The music's weird.

Agreed on the soundtrack. It's almost like it was decided the soundtrack couldn't be too good or people would never stop comparing it to Drive. The end result was a mix of entirely forgettable and what sounded like stock "seedy underbelly" music that actually felt inappropriate.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Agreed on the soundtrack. It's almost like it was decided the soundtrack couldn't be too good or people would never stop comparing it to Drive. The end result was a mix of entirely forgettable and what sounded like stock "seedy underbelly" music that actually felt inappropriate.

Yeah, James Newton Howard isn't a hack by any means, but it has no real coherent identity and just sounds bland. The credit song was laughable. In my head Nightcall/Real Hero was playing whenever he started up his red car and went racing.

It really has been a great year for cinema; in most other years Nightcrawler would be the best release but I'm not sure it is even in my top 3...

My friend saw Babymetal and said the whole experience was awful.

I don't tend to like live music though, way too intimate - perhaps that was why? I did attend Distant Worlds around 3 years ago now though. Very gud.

My friend saw Babymetal and said the whole experience was awful.

I don't tend to like live music though, way too intimate - perhaps that was why? I did attend Distant Worlds around 3 years ago now though. Very gud.

What exactly did you friend think was awful? I can only guess they don't like heavy music maybe?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You're all way too cool for me. I've decided I like Pink Floyd. Next is U2 and then after that I hope to get into REO Speedwagon. I'm an accountant, baby! Step inside my Ford Probe!

Wow, so much of GAF went to that Babymetal show.

I was skeptical but it really was fantastic, so much energy and just a great mood to match the music. Definitely going again next time they come round.

What exactly did you friend think was awful? I can only guess they don't like heavy music maybe?

From Skype:

Glr1Kyk.png

He's very much into heavy music, or at least was.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not sure how embedding works on GAF, maybe it's automatic?

Embed only works on mobile. Desktop users have to use a plugin. I use one called Youtube Link Title, but there is [thread=432152]a plugin made by a GAFer for the purposes of embed YT vids on GAF called YouTube Me Again[/thread].

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Eh. I used to have it, but honestly it's easier to just enable auto subscribe and keep track of the subscription page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom