• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Booooooooooooo!

Also, lol at writer gaf getting salty about Dan Brown. The fact that he has more writing talent in his helmet than all of writer gaf combined obviously hurts.

I've never read his books but word on the street (umm Emma) is that he's a terrible writer but can tell enough of a story to keep you curious until the end.

I've only seen the films. I thought Da Vinci code passed the time well enough but Angels and Demons was insane. Parachuting priest Ewan McGregor was just really odd.

jimbor

Banned
I've never read his books but word on the street (umm Emma) is that he's a terrible writer but can tell enough of a story to keep you curious until the end.

I've only seen the films. I thought Da Vinci code passed the time well enough but Angels and Demons was insane. Parachuting priest Ewan McGregor was just really odd.

Ssh, my bait was for writer gaf.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Booooooooooooo!

Also, lol at writer gaf getting salty about Dan Brown. The fact that he has more writing talent in his helmet than all of writer gaf combined obviously hurts.

It's like saying "I really like music" and then listening to Coldplay though.

Very popular things should be instantly dismissed because the public are idiots and anything they all agree on will be tepid shite.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

To be fair, when I read the Da Vinci Code it was a compulsive read. Possibly because he ends EVERY CHAPTER with the characters seeing or realising something that is kept hidden from the reader so you have to read on to see what they were all gasping at.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Sorry! Yeah writerGAF you better watch it!

To be fair, when I read the Da Vinci Code it was a compulsive read. Possibly because he ends EVERY CHAPTER with the characters seeing or realising something that is kept hidden from the reader so you have to read on to see what they were all gasping at.

Sounds like a fun and trashy page turner! I don't get the problem. I read Confessions of a Shopaholic once and it was fun. It probably means I'm a tasteless thickie but hey, I am!

Pretty much this. It was when I started reading a second book of his that it hit home how bad he was.

Edit: jimbor's sunset pic

E6D51B38-01EA-4147-A742-7257E5DF1B45_zpsyvgav0pm.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sorry! Yeah writerGAF you better watch it!

Sounds like a fun and trashy page turner! I don't get the problem. I read Confessions of a Shopaholic once and it was fun. It probably means I'm a tasteless thickie but hey, I am!

It's like the book equivalent of the DMAX channel.

Ashes

Banned

I dunno. I think you'd be correct about the likes of my own talent. But a bit unfair on say, Aiden, who has actually won a major award for his work. Two Hugo awards I believe.
There's also Brit Gaf's Gary Whitta, who worked on the book of eli film I think.
Apart from that there are some great gems in the creative writing thread archive, that people would be surprised are not by someone famous and published. Specially if you can pick up author styles and such. Well who knows really.
If you have a spare ten minutes, I can readily recommend my favorites from gaf's archive.

I've actually been playing spots of Destiny here and there, mostly just one or two PvP games now and again. It's nice to play a PvP FPS where I don't feel stressed out.

I did wonder about Advanced Warfare, but I find Call of Duty multiplayer to be insanely hard and it's too frustrating for a casual type when you get killed the instant you're spotted. The USA stuff is a bit irritating too, but I don't really like summer action films that much I guess.

I know what you mean about wanting a huge game to get stuck into though. Now Destiny's not as compulsive anymore I would like something meaty that I can play over a long period of time and was watching videos of Dragon Age. It just looks a bit too much on the RPG rather than the action side of action RPG for me.

What about the mountains of JRPGs on the Vita? Or something like Danganronpa or Freedom Wars? They look like the kind of games you could sink a hundred hours into (even though neither have really grabbed me). I think Dragon Age might be your best bet though. The reviews are saying that there's something like 200 hours of content to grind through.

Well, I can tell you from the outset that the new one is far and away better than Ghosts was but I suppose that doesn't mean much if you have issues with the basic gameplay elements. It would be a shock to the system going from Destiny's PVP to CoD as the the time it takes to kill someone is drastically different. I can see that just not being fun at all if you're less exposed to multiplayer FPS. The story is actually quite good but not £40 good if you know what I mean.

I know I wax lyrical about Persona but that's literally the only JRPG series I have had a good experience with. I'm hesitant about Danganronpa, know very little about Freedom Wars. I was considering picking up one of the Ys games. SMT IV is similar to Persona but without the social aspect so that's what I'm leaning towards.

As for Dragon Age...I liked Mass Effect quite a lot and from what I've seen Dragon Age just trades space and lasers for elves and wizards. Considering it... I'm 24 at the end of the month so something like that or maybe Far Cry 4 could be good prezzies from maw and paw.

We'll see.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well, I can tell you from the outset that the new one is far and away better than Ghosts was but I suppose that doesn't mean much if you have issues with the basic gameplay elements. It would be a shock to the system going from Destiny's PVP to CoD as the the time it takes to kill someone is drastically different. I can see that just not being fun at all if you're less exposed to multiplayer FPS. The story is actually quite good but not £40 good if you know what I mean.

I know I wax lyrical about Persona but that's literally the only JRPG series I have had a good experience with. I'm hesitant about Danganronpa, know very little about Freedom Wars. I was considering picking up one of the Ys games. SMT IV is similar to Persona but without the social aspect so that's what I'm leaning towards.

As for Dragon Age...I liked Mass Effect quite a lot and from what I've seen Dragon Age just trades space and lasers for elves and wizards. Considering it... I'm 24 at the end of the month so something like that or maybe Far Cry 4 could be good prezzies from maw and paw.

We'll see.

Yeah. Ghosts wasn't so bad at first but after a while the skill gap actively made me feel bad after playing. Seeing that people had days and days of game time made me realise I just don't have the stamina to keep up with it. I'm impressed with people that do, though. Watching some of the streams I'm amazed at how quick some players are.

My impression of Freedom Wars is that it's got a great setting (they absolutely nail the future dystopia with neat touches in-game) and feels quite satisfying to play, although I wonder about the overarching plot and the limited variety. It's really just about short boss battles with some fun verticality thrown in. There is a huge amount of grinding and crafting to get involved with if that's your thing, though. I'm still waiting for a game on the Vita that I'll really take to. I'm quite down on the poor thing at the moment. I've pretty much run out of stuff that appeals and there are no games coming out that interest me either.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I dunno. I think you'd be correct about the likes of my own talent. But a bit unfair on say, Aiden, who has actually won a major award for his work. Two Hugo awards I believe.
There's also Brit Gaf's Gary Whitta, who worked on the book of eli film I think.
Apart from that there are some great gems in the creative writing thread archive, that people would be surprised are not by someone famous and published. Specially if you can pick up author styles and such. Well who knows really.
If you have a spare ten minutes, I can readily recommend my favorites from gaf's archive.

Don't mind him, Jim's our pet cunt in BGAF ;)

Saw that kotaku had given it a "No" earlier today

sacre bleu!

Apparently it's riddled with frame rate issues and pop ins and beyond that it seems like it sticks to close to the same old formula (what else do you expect from a yearly franchise?) But apparently the missions are a bit dull to boot.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Saw that kotaku had given it a "No" earlier today

sacre bleu!

Apparently it's riddled with frame rate issues and pop ins and beyond that it seems like it sticks to close to the same old formula (what else do you expect from a yearly franchise?) But apparently the missions are a bit dull to boot.

AC4 was my first game in that franchise and it was really strange. I bought it early on for the ps4 and, having missed all of last gen, there was a novelty to it for a couple of weeks. The world seemed huge, there was always stuff to do and I liked the ship combat. After that honeymoon period, though, I really grew to hate it. It just felt so hollow and soulless. There was no real depth - it was all just challenge-free busywork. I think it probably features most things I hate in games these days and it's why I never wanted to play Watch Dogs and why I just can't get into Infamous (sorry Bowen!). I just don't get why they are fun.

So I have a bit of schadenfreude seeing Unity receive a bad reception, because I'd like to see AAA games move away from these type of scale-over-substance cinematic immersive experiences. It'll still sell loads though - I'm hardly the target market!

AC4 was also the first Assassin's Creed I played.

Barely got a tenth of the way through I suspect. One of my biggest issues with it was that I tried to approach it as a stealth game similar to Splinter Cell or Hitman but... there's no penalty for not being sneaky, you can take on a bazillion guys at once. Then I got confused about exactly how the game is intended to be played. It just seems like you sprint into walls and accidentally climb buildings until you massacre some bad guys before you finally kill someone who's supposed to be important and you do it in a stylish way and then pose in your hood. Then the rest is padded out with lots of filler side missions and collectables. Superseding everything is this vague plot about the guys in hoods vs templars who are bad, and something to do with pieces of eden and yada yada.

I didn't like it obviously.

Don't care about the new one, we're doomed to hear about the next next one every year until people get sufficiently bored for the franchise to die.

that Just Cause 3 info though

yes fucking please

I thought it was packed with micro transactions?

I liked the first one, didn't get to play the second.

Reknoc

I've played pretty much every AssCreed game except for Revelations because I was sick of that period after getting bored of Brotherhood. 4 was still pretty exciting for me because Pirates and it sort of kinda looked like a close relation of Seadogs. It's like, a Pirate game, all of them, seem to follow the Sid Meier formula of being a bit like an RTS, so it was nice to find a game that still had like, sailing and ship combat and trading whatever, but being on a ground level perspective. Eventually though Ubisofts vapid bulletpoint openworld design made me lose interest.

How this company managed to get 2 outstanding Rayman games out I'll never know. No wonder Ancel buggered off to work on that indie thing.

Darren870

Anyone here planning on taking the Eurostar soon? I have a 20 quid voucher that expires in 4 days. Would hate for it to go to waste.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I thought it was packed with micro transactions?

I liked the first one, didn't get to play the second.

Oh boy, get the second, the first was OK at the time, but man oh man the second one wipes the floor with it.

At the least grab it for an inevitable <£3.50 in the Steam xmas sale.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Mostly yawning. Followed by a bit of staring out the window.

Cool! Yawning is the best!

Trying in vain to sit comfortably (see whatsapp for the gruesome deets) and fighting fires in the office. Will need to invigilate for two hours later on as well, yaaaaaawn.

Ah I left whatsapp a while ago because I'm a socially awkward paranoiac. Sounds hemherroid (sp?!) ish. What do you do when invigilating? It must be so dull. Can you read a book or something?

The best invigilating I did was when I was an assistant at uni - it was in a room full of computers, so I basically got paid to be on GAF for two hours and nothing else.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cool! Yawning is the best!

Ah I left whatsapp a while ago because I'm a socially awkward paranoiac. Sounds hemherroid (sp?!) ish. What do you do when invigilating? It must be so dull. Can you read a book or something?

Come back to whatsapp you loon. We do miss you :) you know that you only have to look at it and write on it as much as you like. Personally I pretty much only use it on the toilet and when I'm on my bus home.

Basically, I get big ass abscesses on my legs sometimes, this one is/was golfball sized. Much blood. Bit owwy.

And yeah, since I'm the head of Exams and there are only two pupils in for the exam I'm totally taking my iPad in and reading comics for two hours. I can look like I'm doing work.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The best invigilating I did was when I was an assistant at uni - it was in a room full of computers, so I basically got paid to be on GAF for two hours and nothing else.

I hate invigilating and I hate invigilators worse because they're inevitably doddery old people with absolutely no confidence in their abilities (such as they are). The other day I had uni admissions tests for 40 kids - admittedly pretty complex, around 8 different tests with different start and end times. But only 40 kids. So we got 4 invigilators so they could have two tests and an average of 10 kids each.

Two of them utterly freaked out, one was sobbing and vowed never to do it again. Fucksake. All you had to do was read some instructions and keep your eye on the time.

I want to hire university students to invigilate. I'd rather someone was wrong and confident than right and doddery.

SmokyDave

Come back to whatsapp you loon. We do miss you :) you know that you only have to look at it and write on it as much as you like. Personally I pretty much only use it on the toilet and when I'm on my bus home.

Basically, I get big ass abscesses on my legs sometimes, this one is/was golfball sized. Much blood. Bit owwy.

And yeah, since I'm the head of Exams and there are only two pupils in for the exam I'm totally taking my iPad in and reading comics for two hours. I can look like I'm doing work.

I look at Whatsapp, see Vita hate, and vow to track you all down.

Lucky for you lot, I'm really lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom