• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Poet

Banned
Best thing about British Winter.

Dem temps:

bG427Xi.png

It can be hard to type with frozen fingers though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
y'know, I've been out of PC gaming so long, I have no idea what any of those numbers mean at all. I think I like that.

Anyway right, I'm a positive person generally. (Am I a positive person generally?) But on my FB feed, an old friend (who is worth keeping on my FL because she is one of the most attractive humans ever and her selfes can brighten a dull day) keeps posting those soft focus landscapes with some kind of uplifting but ultimately impossible slogan on them. And it drives me fucking mad.

Pretty much each of the images boils down to (my interpretation) quit your job and live in a yurt and have dreadlocks and join a cooperative or something. From pages like Action for Happiness or Prolific Living or something. "Every day is a new beginning. Take a deep breath, smile, and BEGIN AGAIN" sorry I can't, I have to get up at 6.30 to go to work. Must be nice to have someone pay the bills. "One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face is choosing whether to walk away or try harder" daddy or chips "A Chopper chops everything good out of their lives. Don't let them chop the you out of you" I don't even know what this means.

So I think I might start making my own inspirational images to fight this scourge of impossible blandness. Was thinking of the following slogans "the harder you struggle the quicker you drown" "The universe doesn't even notice you" "All the beach sunset walks in the world won't pay the bills"

I'm not even that grumpy today. This has cheered me right up.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
"it's only a matter of time before everyone you love dies."

Hate that stuff. It's why I don't go on Facebook anymore.

Actually the worst is when my female friends post stuff like just a sad face ":("

And then you get loads of comments like

"What's wrong hun xxx"

And the OP either doesn't answer or posts "I'll inbox you"

JUST DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE

I hate Facebook. All that passive interaction with morons and adverts. It's not for me.

Edit- I just realised its not even my friends. It's emma's friends! I have one real Facebook friend (Graham!) and I like him because he posts thoughtful political commentary and then people discuss it intelligently.

The only other people I have are my US family who are all Fox News loons and post racist pictures of Muslims and/or Obama.

Edit edit - oh and baby pics with narrative which speaks like the baby wrote it. AGEJAGENAKA. I've seen good people who swore they'd never do it become the equivalent of smug marrieds as soon as they have a sprog.

Basically, internalised misogyny / misanthropy , passive social interaction is crap, everyone but me is an idiot, yah yah yah yah. And it's raining.

aww my iphone won't turn up today because three have suspended my order due to a 'security problem'. hoorah! probably my beard. had a customer a few days a go that asked whether i was:
a) jewish
b) english
c) one of 'them'
then proceeded to tell me you had to be careful because of what ' they' do.

thanks tabloids!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
aww my iphone won't turn up today because three have suspended my order due to a 'security problem'. hoorah! probably my beard. had a customer a few days a go that asked whether i was:
a) jewish
b) english
c) one of 'them'

thanks tabloids!

He's referring to the Amish.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just quit my 'apprenticeship'.

Only started last month, but have had enough of being spoken to like shit, doing lacky work, etc for £2.50

Work program sent me on it, without knowing anything about it. Never received or signed a contract either.

Done the right thing?

Anyone else ever just quit a job without handing in notice?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Basically, internalised misogyny / misanthropy , passive social interaction is crap, everyone but me is an idiot, yah yah yah yah. And it's raining.

Interesting question - is it still misogyny if lots of the women on your friends list are actually idiots though? It's not against their gender, it's about the gendered way their idiocy manifests. Idiot men post naked women and Britain First memes, idiot women post pictures of their idiot children and inspirational memes.

In one, ultimately depressing way, it just shows you how dumb your (and my) friends are.

a) jewish
b) english
c) one of 'them'

thanks tabloids!

I've noticed this A LOT this year in my town, I keep getting people coming up to me and being racist like we're all in the white bigot gang. I'm sincerely thinking about trying to one-up them next time it happens rather than the usual fumbling "uuhhhh" that I manage to get out before walking away. I want to see if I can get them to agree to murder, or maybe crippling/torture.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just quit my 'apprenticeship'.

Only started last month, but have had enough of being spoken to like shit, doing lacky work, etc for £2.50

Work program sent me on it, without knowing anything about it. Never received or signed a contract either.

Done the right thing?

Anyone else ever just quit a job without handing in notice?

You already know it wasn't the right thing, man.

That said, apprenticeships do seem like a massive con to me. Get someone young and eager and pay them shit for a couple of years. From hearing Tash's tales of exploitation it seems like a mug's game. But it's a game you signed up for.

SmokyDave

I've noticed this A LOT this year in my town, I keep getting people coming up to me and being racist like we're all in the white bigot gang. I'm sincerely thinking about trying to one-up them next time it happens rather than the usual fumbling "uuhhhh" that I manage to get out before walking away. I want to see if I can get them to agree to murder, or maybe crippling/torture.
Are you not in the gang then?

I'll strike you off the list.

(Not had it happen to me with the exception of one taxi driver recently that went on a hilarious anti-muslim rant).

Mikeside

That happened to me when I went into a military surplus store to get army clothes for my halloween costume.

The owner was explaining why they don't have much woodland camo anymore
"it's all desert stuff these days where we've been killing the ragheads"

I made a point of mentioning my half Iraqui girlfriend and he went hilariously quiet

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I want in on this motivational business:

"Dreams can come true, but never for you, worm."

"Free yourself from the patterns that bind you: slash your wrists.”

"It is our duty to preserve wildlife for future generations. Pickle a squirrel TODAY.”

"If you need motivational slogans to get through life, you should probably donate your skin and organs to someone who has a chance."

SmokyDave

Wow, one of my colleagues just dropped a boxed copy of Sensible Soccer on the Game Gear on my desk. Nice. Time to dig out 6 AAs.

This is my favourite motivational poster:

small_inspirational%20poster.jpg

Skele7on

Banned
Wow, one of my colleagues just dropped a boxed copy of Sensible Soccer on the Game Gear on my desk. Nice. Time to dig out 6 AAs.

I feel I can live again, cheers for the poster.

All the mangers are surrounding me at the moment with silly requests to do.

I'm just posting on GAF pretending that I am taking notes on what they want....

"it's only a matter of time before everyone you love dies."

Hate that stuff. It's why I don't go on Facebook anymore.

Actually the worst is when my female friends post stuff like just a sad face ":("

And then you get loads of comments like

"What's wrong hun xxx"

And the OP either doesn't answer or posts "I'll inbox you"

JUST DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE

I hate Facebook. All that passive interaction with morons and adverts. It's not for me.

Edit- I just realised its not even my friends. It's emma's friends! I have one real Facebook friend (Graham!) and I like him because he posts thoughtful political commentary and then people discuss it intelligently.

The only other people I have are my US family who are all Fox News loons and post racist pictures of Muslims and/or Obama.

Edit edit - oh and baby pics with narrative which speaks like the baby wrote it. AGEJAGENAKA. I've seen good people who swore they'd never do it become the equivalent of smug marrieds as soon as they have a sprog.

Luckily I don't have that many friends who post garbage like that on FB, and those that do I have removed from appearing on my wall.

I think that's the key to a pleasant fb experience, personalising so you don't see the rubbish and only see what you want.

Lashley

That said, apprenticeships do seem like a massive con to me. Get someone young and eager and pay them shit for a couple of years. From hearing Tash's tales of exploitation it seems like a mug's game. But it's a game you signed up for.

I've already been offered another job this morning, so it's not all bad. I just couldn't take any more, and after I paid for my travel and was charged rent by the council, I was worse off working than I was on JSA.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I want in on this motivational business:

"Dreams can come true, but never for you, worm."

"Free yourself from the patterns that bind you: slash your wrists.”

"It is our duty to preserve wildlife for future generations. Pickle a squirrel TODAY.”

"If you need motivational slogans to get through life, you should probably donate your skin and organs to someone who has a chance."

Love these, adding them to the list.

This is great, that's on my FB wall now. Fighting mediocrity, one inspirational poster at a time.

NinjaBoiX

Facebook is shit like.

I didn't feel exploited in the least doing my apprenticeship. I got paid a fairly decent wage (£11k, £14k, £19k then £21k over the four years) to learn a trade that can cost others over £10k in fees and now I've got a basically guaranteed £25k+ a year job and something I can always fall back on if I decide to try another career.

Best thing I ever did, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Lashley

Facebook is shit like.

I didn't feel exploited in the least doing my apprenticeship. I got paid a fairly decent wage (£11k, £14k, £19k then £21k over the four years) to learn a trade that can cost others over £10k in fees and now I've got a basically guaranteed £25k+ a year job and something I can always fall back on if I decide to try another career.

Best thing I ever did, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Sadly I was paid 2.50 an hour, unpaid overtime, spoke to like crap, made to do lacky work like cleaning warehouse, etc

I wasn't learning anything either, I don't think it was a traditional apprenticeship, I wasn't informed of my job role or anything like that.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Interesting question - is it still misogyny if lots of the women on your friends list are actually idiots though? It's not against their gender, it's about the gendered way their idiocy manifests. Idiot men post naked women and Britain First memes, idiot women post pictures of their idiot children and inspirational memes.

In one, ultimately depressing way, it just shows you how dumb your (and my) friends are.

It feels misogynistic to me. I'm pretty misogynistic and misandrist anyway. I genuinely do want a genderless dystopia. At least when it's raining outside and I feel
ugly.

Luckily I don't have that many friends who post garbage like that on FB, and those that do I have removed from appearing on my wall.

I think that's the key to a pleasant fb experience, personalising so you don't see the rubbish and only see what you want.

Sounds sensible. I can't get that far. I remember the days when Facebook was a cleaner alternative to MySpace and now there's just TOO MUCH STUFF there. I see all of the 'content', none of which has any content and decide that I'm going to continue living inside my head.

Been considering doing an IT apprenticeship at some point as I lack decent qualifications. Might do something like Information Security so I can work for GCHQ and read your emails and shit.

the lady that asked these personal questions was black. now ignorance is everywhere but you'd have thought she would have had a bit of empathy for people being persecuted entirely on their race. strange.
i was asked if i was a communist once, haha.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
the lady that asked these personal questions was black. now ignorance is everywhere but you'd have thought she would have had a bit of empathy for people being persecuted entirely on their race. strange.
i was asked if i was a communist once, haha.

Dude. I'm Jewish. Look at 90% of Jews vs Palestinians. It makes no difference at all.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

*bombs Jed and his family and demolishes his house as a precautionary measure against him looking at me funny*

--

On a serious note, I was watching some Trews yesterday and it was pointed out by he who shall not be named that America has bombed something like 10 different Arab countries over the last twenty years, each on multiple occasions. Helps contextualise the anti-American sentiment a little bit.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
sigh, as if I wasn't anti-Semitic enough already. There were 17 babies in there you monster!

Collateral damage. And don't think about asking the UN for help.

Also anti-semite - (In new yoik accent) you'll never woik in this toin agoin!

Seriously, Jewish people have the most negative stereotypes per population in the world. All the Jews I know care more about food than controlling the world.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Collateral damage. And don't think about asking the UN for help.

Also anti-semite - (In new yoik accent) you'll never woik in this toin agoin!

Seriously, Jewish people have the most negative stereotypes per population in the world. All the Jews I know care more about food than controlling the world.

If you control the food, you control the world. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hang on! I just need to look for a Russell Brand video to tell me what to think!

ALSO LIZARDS

He'll probably say something like...oh... I dunno... uh...

"Oh crumbs, me lords and ladies, bend your ears myward for tickity boo! Verily int the Hebrews scuffling me foodstuffs. Your confections, too! Rise, I say! Rise up with your swifty pork spears in the name of Brand, celebrity swordsman and loquacious, leather-clad lothario! Tell them filtchy merchants to jog themselves on away from our hard earned ducketts, innit?!"

*Eagerly looking at the audience and absorbing their applause via osmosis*

Or something. I don't know. God, I hate him.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
could someone get me food? I'm legit dying...

:

Maybe a bagel? Looks a bit like a Halo. 😄

"Oh crumbs, me lords and ladies, bend your ears myward for tickity boo! Verily int the Hebrews scuffling me foodstuffs. Your confections, too! Rise, I say! Rise up with your swifty pork spears in the name of Brand, celebrity swordsman and loquacious, leather-clad lothario! Tell them filtchy merchants to jog themselves on away from our hard earned ducketts, innit?!"

His radio 2 show with Matt Morgan was amazing. He just needs someone to cut him off / point out his rubbish now and again. His videos are actually quite good, you know.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
His radio 2 show with Matt Morgan was amazing. He just needs someone to cut him off / point out his rubbish now and again. His videos are actually quite good, you know.

Can't say I've heard the radio stuff. His stand up seems a bit forced to me. I dunno. I said before, I've pretty much got an irrational hatred of any celebrity called Russell: Kane, Blinky Howard, Grant etc.

Well, any except Crowe because LA Confidential was the nuts.

Mikeside

I think I'm genuinely in love with you, meaty boy.
Let's run away together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom