• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'll see. While a bus can likely take me there from work, I finish hours before that which would mean hanging around doing nothing.

Son Of D

Ok Londons!!

I am definitely in Londons next Monday. I will be staying in a hotel near Chancery Lane tube station (Bloomsbury area). I should be availabubble from about 7pm ish till maybe 9 10 ish? I have to be up early the next day for a conference.

That's a grand time for me. Finish at 4:30 so I can get home and get ready in no time. I'll get there for 7, shouldn't be a hassle.

SuperSah

Banned
Today has been incredible!

I got a interview for the University of York, my top pick and also a offer from Birmingahm City University!

Two firm offers and a interview at my most wanted to University, not bad at all! :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That's a grand time for me. Finish at 4:30 so I can get home and get ready in no time. I'll get there for 7, shouldn't be a hassle.

Bossness! I hope nobody from the last Manc meet comes so I can wear my favourite jumper again without looking like a scruff.

Today has been incredible!

I got a interview for the University of York, my top pick and also a offer from Birmingahm City University!

Two firm offers and a interview at my most wanted to University, not bad at all! :)

York is probably your best bet from a pure career point of view (if you're serious about law). Legal recruiters pay undue attention to the university you go to instead of your degree (provided you get a 2.1)- and the older the uni the better.

kitsuneyo

Hi BritGAF. Can any of you PM me an Orange Wednesday code? I'll owe you one! I might even PayPal you the 35p for the text if you like :)

Edit - Got one :)

Good news all round it seems with uni offers and jobs, congrats across BGAF.

Speaking of York, doing a little daytrip there tomorrow. Cos I can.

Jordan

So, haven't posted here in weeks - thought I would update the people who I know worry about me.

After weeks of shit and struggling. I finally decided to go to the doctors about a month ago to get some support.

Was pointed in the direction of counselling, me being me was very sceptical about the whole thing and was to nervous/anxious/sceptical to call them until about a week ago when I got really bad. Hadn't heard anything back from them so I returned to the doctors today and have been described antidepressants which are supposed to help with my anxiety.

Fingers crossed these work, I'm too tired of feeling like shit now.

SKINNER!

Banned
So, haven't posted here in weeks - thought I would update the people who I know worry about me.

After weeks of shit and struggling. I finally decided to go to the doctors about a month ago to get some support.

Was pointed in the direction of counselling, me being me was very sceptical about the whole thing and was to nervous/anxious/sceptical to call them until about a week ago when I got really bad. Hadn't heard anything back from them so I returned to the doctors today and have been described antidepressants which are supposed to help with my anxiety.

Hope you're doing ok and things turn out for the best buddy. Getting help is the right thing to do and Britgaf is always here if you need any extra support :) Stay safe as always Jordan.

Mikeside

Buddy, I know it's stressful, embarrassing and scary as fuck that first time you walk into counseling, but it's incredibly worthwhile.
The anti-depressants will work much better if you can talk to somebody at the same time as taking them & they'll be able to help you learn how they work and how you should expect to feel too.

All the best, man. I'm always here.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well this made me laugh:

Steve Albini said:
If your little daughter does a kooky dance to a Prince song, don’t bother putting it on YouTube for her grandparents to see or a purple dwarf in assless chaps will put an injunction on you. Did I offend the little guy? Fuck it. His music is poison.

Despite him trying so hard to be a completely unlikeable curmedgeon, I still fucking love Steve Albini. Him being involved in pretty much every album I like nowadays helps, course.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Despite him trying so hard to be a completely unlikeable curmedgeon, I still fucking love Steve Albini. Him being involved in pretty much every album I like nowadays helps, course.

I dunno about that. He offers pretty hefty discounts to struggling bands even though his studio tends to run at a loss. He was extremely nice to my wife when she got on stage after a Shellac gig. Guy has a lot of pretty informed opinions and simply tells it like he sees it. Nowt wrong with any of that.

He's my goddamned hero.

An observation I don't feel confident about throwing out in the relevant thread - but this Bill Cosby stuff. Reading reaction and things is certainly interesting in the light of what we've had in this country with Yewtree and various scandals about historical sexual abuse coming to light. Think it gives a different perspective to it really.

Jordan

Hope you're doing ok and things turn out for the best buddy. Getting help is the right thing to do and Britgaf is always here if you need any extra support :) Stay safe as always Jordan.

Appreciate it - Thanks Shorty.

Buddy, I know it's stressful, embarrassing and scary as fuck that first time you walk into counseling, but it's incredibly worthwhile.
The anti-depressants will work much better if you can talk to somebody at the same time as taking them & they'll be able to help you learn how they work and how you should expect to feel too.

All the best, man. I'm always here.

I have no trouble talking about my problems, which is why I'm sceptical of counselling. We will see how it goes, but I'm still waiting for them to call me back for an initial appointment to see how it will benefit me.

I dunno about that. He offers pretty hefty discounts to struggling bands even though his studio tends to run at a loss. He was extremely nice to my wife when she got on stage after a Shellac gig. Guy has a lot of pretty informed opinions and simply tells it like he sees it. Nowt wrong with any of that.

He's my goddamned hero.

OK, let me try again: despite most published accounts seemingly trying to paint him as an unlikeable curmedgeon... I suppose that would be more accurate? Music blogs, man.

Yeah, I like him. He does the graft, does it well, and doesn't take anyone's bullshit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
OK, let me try again: despite most published accounts seemingly trying to paint him as an unlikeable curmedgeon... I suppose that would be more accurate? Music blogs, man.

tumblr_inline_mvv37q8FMd1ro2x8m.jpg

Yeah, I like him. He does the graft, does it well, and doesn't take anyone's bullshit.

Couldn't agree more, sir. He's a rare and beautiful beast.

Big Black - Kerosene

I missed this. Didn't realise things weren't going great. Hope you're okay, bud. Most people go into counselling a bit sceptical. If you keep it up you get more used to it. It can end up pretty useful. Anyway: fuck it, why not, right? ;)

jimbor

Banned
An observation I don't feel confident about throwing out in the relevant thread - but this Bill Cosby stuff. Reading reaction and things is certainly interesting in the light of what we've had in this country with Yewtree and various scandals about historical sexual abuse coming to light. Think it gives a different perspective to it really.

Indeed. American entertainer child rapists are mostly black, WTF?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well this made me laugh:

Hah! I do like Steve Albini and I remember reading a thread of fake band names on his studio forum that was the funniest thing I'd ever read. But he's wrong about Prince. But he did also produce Bush's incredible second album, so what do I know.

I hope it works out. You can always PM me if you ever need to talk.

---

Music wise, I'm still listening to Pink Floyd but have realised that Who's Next is a brilliant album. DRUMS. Also, does anyone like John Fahey? I'm not massively into meditative guitar (although I like playing it) but some of his stuff is just otherworldly in the best possible way. I've also decided that along with Prince I also like modern curmudgeonly Billy Corgan.

Ahand games-wise I've stuck with Mooooordoooooor. I think I have now become so powerful that Sauron himself would quake before my square-square-square-square-square-five times hit combo- X + O attack. I do think it's easily the most overrated game of the year, though. Is it because all of the other AAA games were meant to be terrible? I don't see anything particularly special about it. Even the Nemesis system, while neat, is pretty shallow. The plot is crap, too. It's really just a very thin excuse for wandering around from icon to icon on the map and completing mini tasks. I raise my fist at thee, reviewers and superfans of this game! Ye are celebrating this game as if 'twere the second coming of thy messiah when in troth 'tis but a hairswidth above average! Thy standards have dropped! Care thee not about the quality of our medium? I bit my thumb at thee!

Oh and finally, finally after a year of "art-er's block" I've started work on a new project. Hurrah!

Vashetti

Banned
Feel like death. Thank fuck work is only 5 hours today.

Sad that I have to reason with myself that it's only 4 hours, 45 minutes too because of the 15 minute break :p

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
*shakes fist*

I totally missed this (what is wrong with me these day?). What are you working on?

I make illustrated "poems" (not always poems, and not really poems) - mainly from collage. They're very odd and tend to be very insular and not easy for anyone other than me to enjoy. I then work the illustrated poems into "albums" which usually end up being gibberish, because I'll take away all the bridges and let it just hover on the pages. I've been doing this for about 17 or 18 years on and off and it's my version of a psychic diary.

My current one is called "peachholes" . the cover is a rotten peach with a hole in the middle mashed into a William Morris print. That probably sums it up pretty well. The thing is that if you are taking rotten sweet fruit as the nucleus you end up having to trawl though all sorts of uncomfortable images if you want to be true to what you're expressing. Which means last night I ended up trawling through pictures of prolapses, mucus and the like.

No worries. I could probably nip back home and then head out again.

Actually sorry but I'm now thinking I'm going to go home and get the shopping done first then come back in

I'm touched that you are actually making effort to see me! Because I'm worth it (TM).

We're going on a "school trip" to see Interstellar at the Imax today. Yaay.

I'll also try and hop along to Holborn next week, since I work nearby.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
ooh, that sounds lovely i'd really enjoy seeing tho-

oh.

Yep. I actually had to take a break. Making wallpaper out of saliva dribbles is very draining. There's one page which has a
picture of a vaginal prolapse
which is perfect for the particular line and actually looks good from a placing perspective. Until your brain clocks what it is and you feel sick.

I used to work with another artist with a similar aesthetic and oh blimey. There's only so many war crimes photos you can look at before you actually like having an office job.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I make illustrated "poems" (not always poems, and not really poems) - mainly from collage. They're very odd and tend to be very insular and not easy for anyone other than me to enjoy. I then work the illustrated poems into "albums" which usually end up being gibberish, because I'll take away all the bridges and let it just hover on the pages. I've been doing this for about 17 or 18 years on and off and it's my version of a psychic diary.

My current one is called "peachholes" . the cover is a rotten peach with a hole in the middle mashed into a William Morris print. That probably sums it up pretty well. The thing is that if you are taking rotten sweet fruit as the nucleus you end up having to trawl though all sorts of uncomfortable images if you want to be true to what you're expressing. Which means last night I ended up trawling through pictures of prolapses, mucus and the like.

That sounds great; yes, even the prolapse trawling. I really like uncomfortable, organic photos and Arrrrt, hence the screen name, I guess. Medical photos of syphullis are always intriguing.

Hystzen

just bought xcom: enemy within on the 360.
why? why did i do this to myself!?

on a serious note anyone know if this includes the standard game too or just an extra campaign?

Within adds more shit to the game it base game with added expansions. Prepare to lose more of your life and cry over your squad mates being munched by aliens

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
We've all been there, Sploat.

Late nights, eh? 😄

That sounds great; yes, even the prolapse trawling. I really like uncomfortable, organic photos and Arrrrt, hence the screen name, I guess. Medical photos of syphullis are always intriguing.

Yeah. Definitely. I once went to a war museum in France and saw slides through a small slide viewer of war injuries. I must have been about 14? It was horrific but then after a while you start to realise that there's a weird kind of beauty in the shapes and then (modern day!) in all of the colour. That makes me sound like a murderer! But I don't really believe in taboos I guess. It's all just material to use, isn't it? The world is a fleshy place anyway.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Definitely. I once went to a war museum in France and saw slides through a small slide viewer of war injuries. I must have been about 14? It was horrific but then after a while you start to realise that there's a weird kind of beauty in the shapes and then (modern day!) in all of the colour. That makes me sound like a murderer! But I don't really believe in taboos I guess. It's all just material to use, isn't it? The world is a fleshy place anyway.

I think the fact that we're often shielded from that sort of thing makes it more intriguing.

Also: FLEEEESH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom