• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
ukip only have two seats now, right? the mainstream news go on like they've just took the country by military force. jesus.

Rochester has been a safe Conservative seat for... Christ, I don't know how long. Considering they chucked everything at it to keep it that way, including American style attack ads, it's quite a coup.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Rochester has been a safe Conservative seat for... Christ, I don't know how long. Considering they chucked everything at it to keep it that way, including American style attack ads, it's quite a coup.

All the while Labour dither and keep trying to appeal to a centre that doesn't even exist anymore. Obnoxious.

--

finally! Ps4 is saved. I accept that GTA is out and it's probably one of the best games ever. But Dragon Age is bloody great. I've always wanted to divide my life between in depth conversations, political shenanigans and killing beasties. I've never played a game of this genre before (I missed Skyrim and all that) and blimey the scope is huge. You can even switch the combat between weird RTS and normal hack and slash. And a hard difficulty level too! Value for money 😄

Reknoc

Might have to check out the new Dragon Age, never been a massive fan of Bioware though. It always feels like they're just riding the wave of popularity from making that one Star Wars game (that Obsidian did better anyway regardless of missing ending).

Guess I'll try to pick it up on the cheap in a sale or something. Too many games to play atm (that I'm not playing due to WoW) to take a gamble on a dev I don't like.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
All the while Labour dither and keep trying to appeal to a centre that doesn't even exist anymore. Obnoxious.

terrifying to know the inhuman conservatives just aren't enough for some people.

To me, both Labour and Conservatives have moved more and more towards a centrist position over the last decade or so. They're both very different parties from what they used to be. They don't really represent any solid or defined stance anymore.

I dunno, UKIP getting in might just have one good effect: politicising the apathetic lot who have even a modicum of a conscience (ie me). We might even see a resurgence in 80s-style polemic comedy, music etc.

To me, both Labour and Conservatives have moved more and more towards a centrist position over the last decade or so. They're both very different parties from what they used to be. They don't really represent any solid or defined stance anymore.

I dunno, UKIP getting in might just have one good effect: politicising the apathetic lot who have even a modicum of a conscience (ie me). We might even see a resurgence in 80s-style polemic comedy, music etc.

the problem is none of the parties have anything to offer anyone with half a brain as we're all too aware that nothing will change regardless of who comes to power. it is a shame that ukip have been able to get the protest vote over say the green party, despite green having a less than stellar performance in brighton i would much rather see a liberal, forward thinking group explain to us that utopia isn't as close as they once promised than have ukip tell us it's all the fault of the islamic polish.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Might have to check out the new Dragon Age, never been a massive fan of Bioware though. It always feels like they're just riding the wave of popularity from making that one Star Wars game (that Obsidian did better anyway regardless of missing ending).

Guess I'll try to pick it up on the cheap in a sale or something. Too many games to play atm (that I'm not playing due to WoW) to take a gamble on a dev I don't like.

I don't have experience of any of these games you're talking about! I will say that DA:I actually works in conveying this sense of an actual world going on that you play a part in. There is so much to do and everything seems linked in a very convincing way.

Compare to Shadow of Mordor / Assassins Creed / Infamous where it just feels like here is an arbitrary map. The map is supposedly a "sandbox" but is really just lots of mini missions, all of which might make you stronger (and the game even easier) but none of which actually affect the world. I find that disconnection really alienating - it's the main reason I struggle with these open world action games. I don't see any reason for them to be open world (other than "datz wot de ovvers are doin init").

There's just such a dilution of the principles of both parties. They are both parties of hopeless bureaucrats, except one side seems to have more confidence (probably a result of Eton etc, where the Camerons and the de pfeffel Johnsons are taught that the world belongs to them by divine right). I wish I could put into words how deeply angry I am at these Westminster automatons. I can feel my body tensing already!

the problem is none of the parties have anything to offer anyone with half a brain as we're all too aware that nothing will change regardless of who comes to power. it is a shame that ukip have been able to get the protest vote over say the green party, despite green having a less than stellar performance in brighton i would much rather see a liberal, forward thinking group explain to us that utopia isn't as close as they once promised than have ukip tell us it's all the fault of the islamic polish.

I hate the way "we need to have a debate about immigration" is the current political meme. Are we deferring the debate until a better time? Or would the actual policies be too much for the dribbling idiots in this fair land? Man, I hate "culture" more and more these days. I want to move to Brighton and live on a queer commune with dogs and lots of musical instruments. It may be that I decided not to sleep last night and now I'm grumpy from watching Question Time, but ugh.

Union Jack and Union Jill
Back up and down the same old hill
Sell the flag to the youths
But who swallows the bill
Murdoch she wrote
Him have his hand in the till

Blairful of Thatcher
Stuck on the 45
The suits have changed
But the old ties survive
New britannia cool
Who are you trying to fool?
Behind your fashion-tashion
I see nothing at all

Care for the commodity
Cuts the nation into three
Rich pickings for the first
Bottom third you never see
While middle england keeps swinging it's
Loyalty
No concern for the future
Just with dead royalty

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

How did Greens do in Brighton, I thought they were getting on well?

There's just such a dilution of the principles of both parties. They are both parties of hopeless bureaucrats, except one side seems to have more confidence (probably a result of Eton etc, where the Camerons and the de pfeffel Johnsons are taught that the world belongs to them by divine right). I wish I could put into words how deeply angry I am at these Westminster automatons. I can feel my body tensing already!

Very well put.

You know, if I were really desperate, I'd vote Labour in the GE, but none of their cabinet are leadership material; they're all Nick Park rejects. They're basically like John Major's team circa '97.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Very well put.

You know, if I were really desperate, I'd vote Labour in the GE, but none of their cabinet are leadership material; they're all Nick Park rejects. They're basically like John Major's team circa '97.

Yup. Did I ever tell you that I met Douglas Hurd once? He was really tall and seemed very nice. I understand he was a "well respected foreign secretary".

You know when you play guitar (this is open to all Britgafguitarists) do you ever sort of zone out into the sound? Sounds really trippy I know but I always used to get smashed and then totally disappear into the celestial vibrations of the strings (maan). This dude does it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSh-YsyjpXk

John Fahey - this amazing "American Primitive" outsider guitarist who released a series of his own vinyls in the 50s and 60s involving his alias Blind Joe Death and then gradually went further and further out. I think he ended up working with Jim O'Rourke and that kind of thing. His life story is incredible. He's a bit of a curator - he kept on setting up record labels to publish obscure and forgotten roots music and actually went to meet Bukka White! This Bukka White of glorious old old old school noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsMpHHSLSlc

And also Meaty as I think you'll appreciate some nice outsidery stuff...

The amazing George Coleman, a long-time street performer who somehow managed to record a record in the late 60s. I have a reprint of it! Me and maybe one other person somewhere in the world! You lose some of the bass sadly but this is just amazing, it sounds almost like Konono no.1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvlgh9hWJRs

And finally, this is just amazing. I want to be in a club that plays this (there'd be me and maybe one other person, that other person that decided to buy George Coleman's album!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1xOZyBc2Ck

and finally, you've heard this right? This amazing Botswanan guitarist recorded just, you know, playing with a thumb instead of fingers (he actually recorded a video with his shirt undone to prove he was a man as the internets thought he was a woman):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4cRw6TIIg

jimbor

Banned

Very well put.

Greens have had a difficult time in Brighton, thanks to labour (left? Ha!) teaming up with the Conservatives to prevent the greens bringing in lots of policies they want.

Actively campaigning against a 20mph speed limit in Brighton whilst listing it as a good thing in their other places (Islington, Camden etc).

Nothing like a party of principles.

As for both major parties becoming more centrist, they're actually both going right.

SKINNER!

Banned
m12odvA.jpg

i think it is hard to judge them because everything will be weighted unfairly, as if the impetus is on them to prove themselves more so than other, equally inept councils.
brighton is a tough one, it seems rather crowded, has a large student population, in particular international students, has a massively inflated cost of living because of its proximity to london and a large wealth gap. it would be tough for any party to work with.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. Did I ever tell you that I met Douglas Hurd once? He was really tall and seemed very nice. I understand he was a "well respected foreign secretary".

I remember he had Mr Whippy hair. He was also grey in Spitting Image. :)

You know when you play guitar (this is open to all Britgafguitarists) do you ever sort of zone out into the sound? Sounds really trippy I know but I always used to get smashed and then totally disappear into the celestial vibrations of the strings (maan).

Yeah. I must admit, I'm a FX pedal nut though. I've got a ludicrous number of Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive ones. Chuck on a bit of reverb/delay and I could sit there all the live long day.

I've dipped in but I shall give the rest of the post the attention it deserves later. Baby duty. Suffice it to say, I still listen to that Neil Young solo i.e. I'm looking forward to it!

Greens have had a difficult time in Brighton, thanks to labour (left? Ha!) teaming up with the Conservatives to prevent the greens bringing in lots of policies they want.

Actively campaigning against a 20mph speed limit in Brighton whilst listing it as a good thing in their other places (Islington, Camden etc).

Nothing like a party of principles.

The System works. Jesus.

As for both major parties becoming more centrist, they're actually both going right.

Do you think? Labour, sure. The Cons are still Right leaning but a lot more milder than in the 80s/90s, what with AIDS/Gay Concentration Camps not being on the agenda these days. I'm not Jon Snow or anything, but I always thought UKIP were a splinter faction of the extreme Right Cons.

i think it is hard to judge them because everything will be weighted unfairly, as if the impetus is on them to prove themselves more so than other, equally inept councils.
brighton is a tough one, it seems rather crowded, has a large student population, in particular international students, has a massively inflated cost of living because of its proximity to london and a large wealth gap. it would be tough for any party to work with.

Fair enough. I've only heard good things from the residents I know.

jimbor

Banned
I remember he had Mr Whippy hair. He was also grey in Spitting Image. :)

Yeah. I must admit, I'm a FX pedal nut though. I've got a ludicrous number of Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive ones. Chuck on a bit of reverb/delay and I could sit there all the live long day.

I've dipped in but I shall give the rest of the post the attention it deserves later. Baby duty. Suffice it to say, I still listen to that Neil Young solo i.e. I'm looking forward to it!

The System works. Jesus.

Do you think? Labour, sure. The Cons are still Right leaning but a lot more milder than in the 80s/90s, what with AIDS/Gay Concentration Camps not being on the agenda these days. I'm not Jon Snow or anything, but I always thought UKIP were a splinter faction of the extreme Right Cons.

Fair enough. I've only heard good things from the residents I know.

This is an interesting website. It's not perfect but gives an idea of the shifts parties have made and where they were last election. http://www.politicalcompass.org/ukparties2010

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Not my cup of tea (little bit twee?) but he's damn good. Hypnotic fingers. The 1:20ish run down is particularly lovely.

John Fahey - this amazing "American Primitive" outsider guitarist who released a series of his own vinyls in the 50s and 60s involving his alias Blind Joe Death and then gradually went further and further out. I think he ended up working with Jim O'Rourke and that kind of thing. His life story is incredible. He's a bit of a curator - he kept on setting up record labels to publish obscure and forgotten roots music and actually went to meet Bukka White! This Bukka White of glorious old old old school noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsMpHHSLSlc

Love it, especially the little knocking move he does. It sounds amazing too, it's got that old, one-mic, Robert Johnson vibe (man).

And also Meaty as I think you'll appreciate some nice outsidery stuff...

The amazing George Coleman, a long-time street performer who somehow managed to record a record in the late 60s. I have a reprint of it! Me and maybe one other person somewhere in the world! You lose some of the bass sadly but this is just amazing, it sounds almost like Konono no.1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvlgh9hWJRs

Love the drums on this so much! The reverby, dull sound to them is amazing. The vocals are my cup of tea, too: utterly imperfect and loaded with feeling. That's a damn nice find.

And finally, this is just amazing. I want to be in a club that plays this (there'd be me and maybe one other person, that other person that decided to buy George Coleman's album!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1xOZyBc2Ck

Best of the bunch. Great groove. The vocalist sounds like Scott Walker!

and finally, you've heard this right? This amazing Botswanan guitarist recorded just, you know, playing with a thumb instead of fingers (he actually recorded a video with his shirt undone to prove he was a man as the internets thought he was a woman):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4cRw6TIIg
[/quote]

Wow. "The streets find it's own use for things."

Love seeing people approach stuff without formalised training. That looked so effortless! I play the "right" way and I can't play that well, but then again I'm a ham-fisted klutz.

This is an interesting website. It's not perfect but gives an idea of the shifts parties have made and where they were last election. http://www.politicalcompass.org/ukparties2010

I guess Green was the right choice. That graph at the bottom is surprising; I'd have pitched old Cons much higher on the fascism chart. You know, with my extensive political knowledge and all.

By the way, is this true?

Once you accept that left and right are merely measures of economic position, the extreme right refers to extremely liberal economics that may be practised by social authoritarians or social libertarians.

I had no idea!

Vashetti

Banned
So uh, I think I might have been victim to a phishing email and I gave over my card details. What do I do?

Before you say "how can you be so stupid?", the email was regarding a tax refund (which I was expecting), it was very well written, and the site it linked to seemed completely legit and professional.

It was only afterwards I thought to do a quick check and found out the email address was a phishing one.

No suspicious activity on my bank account as of yet, but I want to be safe before anything potentially occurs.

So uh, I think I might have been victim to a phishing email and I gave over my card details. What do I do?

Before you say "how can you be so stupid?", the email was regarding a tax refund (which I was expecting), it was very well written, and the site it linked to seemed completely legit and professional.

It was only afterwards I thought to do a quick check and found out the email address was a phishing one.

No suspicious activity on my bank account as of yet, but I want to be safe before anything potentially occurs.

Ring your bank ASAP.

Hystzen

Got man flu and dragon age so that my weekend sorted. GF came round she also ill but made me some homemade peanut butter biscuits and told me relax and play dragon age.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
It may not be completely related to this thread but I'll ask nonetheless (doesn't seem like you're discussing anything of much importance anyhow).

It has been decided (don't judge me!) that I'm travelling with a couple of friends to London late next week.
So I was looking around at how to spend my time and I figured I should spend at least a day or two outside of London. I'm really interested in science and I don't like big cities that much, so I figured I'd go to Cambridge and/or Oxford for that time.

Well, I've come back some time ago and figured I'd share my meager impressions since, as said, you do not seem to be having any meaningful discussions.
This will be needlessly long, and probably of no interest to anyone-- but then again, so is this thread.

I spent most of my time (about four days) with my friends who stayed in London and were there for the first time and hence wanted to do 'the touristy stuff'.
My experience of central touristy London: crowded, expensive, immigrant-filled and (perhaps slightly because of that, but surely not exclusively) politely rude. That is to say, typical of the European experience at tourist locations.
I've spent some time with my sister's bf, who is a recent immigrant from Cork at some less-central parts. That included mostly pubs which I found slightly rowdy but otherwise banal.

The highlight of the London stay was, as it often is, the museums. I first went to the Science museum which I enjoyed greatly. I had missed it last time due to visiting the museums on my last day (and having taking up too much time in the Natural History museum). I particularly enjoyed the space & aerospace sections, but that is likely due to my interests rather than them being exceptional.
I later visited the V&A with my sister (come in from Cork) and viewed a new exhibition (called Disobedient Objects) which surprised me in that I actually enjoyed an "art" exhibition, likely because of its lack of "real art" (much to the chagrin of my sister).
To top off the trilogy, I visited the Natural History Museum with my friends. I must say I enjoyed it much less than I did in my previous visit-- little has changed (some things that I liked have been removed!), it was very very crowded (we made the awful mistake of visiting during school hours) and my friends were rather impatient. It was not bad enough to taint my previous experience but it was surely a disappointment.

I then traveled to Cambridge alone for the last two days. I've visited many universities but never a true 'college cities' so it was a very cool experience-- seeing all the beautiful colleges, seeing torrents of students roam the street like I've arrived in a Neverland where the magic malfunctioned a few years back, and the culture around it. Things as simple as the bookstores having an especially large science section or the transportation being cycle-centered were very cool.
I visited three museums (I won't go into details-- all science [ish] related) and enjoyed them immensely because of (for the the most part) their far-more-detailed explanations of their exhibits and their showcase of many small or relatively insignificant things in "visible storage".
Other than that, I visited the colleges and a few pubs, where I found quite nice students who happily let me join in on their groups and listen to them talk about their (sometimes sheltered) college lifestyle. It was frustrating to see very young people already working on their PhDs, and I had to comfort myself with the assurance that I had the advantage of somehow having 'real world experience' which these kids lack.
I really enjoyed being alone and the freedom that allowed (both to spend as much time as I wanted on aimless wandering and other things that interested me) and loved that it empowered me to go out and talk (and sometimes befriend) complete strangers. My next trip will definitely be all alone.

A couple of general opinions:
I loved the weather! It was only November, obviously, and I have the (arguable) privilege of living in a place that is mostly sunny and warm all year long so I loved having a bit of chilly weather. The autumn colours were simply beautiful, and I loved the world being only faintly bright when I awoke. Rain was not too plentiful, but I felt like it dotted the days quite nicely-- either refreshing, changing the atmosphere or simply forcing one to stay inside (a random change of pace in either case).

As for the technological state, I was quite surprised. Not that many people seemed to have smartphones, data plans were horribly expensive, and there was never any free WiFi. When I arrived I thought that surely I could simply use WiFi to get around-- imagine my surprise when I realised train/tube stations (and partially the airport) had no free WiFi! Hell, even some restaurant did not have any or required registration. Back home, I could get a limitless dataplan for what I got 500MB for in the UK, and free WiFi is ubiquitous. Furthermore, I foolishly thought about purchasing some tech gizmos or games, but those plans were thrown out the window along with all of those useless pence the moment I saw the pricing pretty much anywhere.

All in all, I had a fairly good time. I'd never want to live in London, from what I've seen, but I'd certainly consider studying in a college town in the UK (or elsewhere) -- seems like a good change of pace.

8bit

Knows the Score
But here's the twist! Afoni has guessed Cyanide's password and is posting as him in the style of Jedeye to ensure a longer ban!

Volotaire

Well, I've come back some time ago and figured I'd share my meager impressions since, as said, you do not seem to be having any meaningful discussions.
This will be needlessly long, and probably of no interest to anyone-- but then again, so is this thread.

I spent most of my time (about four days) with my friends who stayed in London and were there for the first time and hence wanted to do 'the touristy stuff'.
My experience of central touristy London: crowded, expensive, immigrant-filled and (perhaps slightly because of that, but surely not exclusively) politely rude. That is to say, typical of the European experience at tourist locations.
I've spent some time with my sister's bf, who is a recent immigrant from Cork at some less-central parts. That included mostly pubs which I found slightly rowdy but otherwise banal.

The highlight of the London stay was, as it often is, the museums. I first went to the Science museum which I enjoyed greatly. I had missed it last time due to visiting the museums on my last day (and having taking up too much time in the Natural History museum). I particularly enjoyed the space & aerospace sections, but that is likely due to my interests rather than them being exceptional.
I later visited the V&A with my sister (come in from Cork) and viewed a new exhibition (called Disobedient Objects) which surprised me in that I actually enjoyed an "art" exhibition, likely because of its lack of "real art" (much to the chagrin of my sister).
To top off the trilogy, I visited the Natural History Museum with my friends. I must say I enjoyed it much less than I did in my previous visit-- little has changed (some things that I liked have been removed!), it was very very crowded (we made the awful mistake of visiting during school hours) and my friends were rather impatient. It was not bad enough to taint my previous experience but it was surely a disappointment.

I then traveled to Cambridge alone for the last two days. I've visited many universities but never a true 'college cities' so it was a very cool experience-- seeing all the beautiful colleges, seeing torrents of students roam the street like I've arrived in a Neverland where the magic malfunctioned a few years back, and the culture around it. Things as simple as the bookstores having an especially large science section or the transportation being cycle-centered were very cool.
I visited three museums (I won't go into details-- all science [ish] related) and enjoyed them immensely because of (for the the most part) their far-more-detailed explanations of their exhibits and their showcase of many small or relatively insignificant things in "visible storage".
Other than that, I visited the colleges and a few pubs, where I found quite nice students who happily let me join in on their groups and listen to them talk about their (sometimes sheltered) college lifestyle. It was frustrating to see very young people already working on their PhDs, and I had to comfort myself with the assurance that I had the advantage of somehow having 'real world experience' which these kids lack.
I really enjoyed being alone and the freedom that allowed (both to spend as much time as I wanted on aimless wandering and other things that interested me) and loved that it empowered me to go out and talk (and sometimes befriend) complete strangers. My next trip will definitely be all alone.

A couple of general opinions:
I loved the weather! It was only November, obviously, and I have the (arguable) privilege of living in a place that is mostly sunny and warm all year long so I loved having a bit of chilly weather. The autumn colours were simply beautiful, and I loved the world being only faintly bright when I awoke. Rain was not too plentiful, but I felt like it dotted the days quite nicely-- either refreshing, changing the atmosphere or simply forcing one to stay inside (a random change of pace in either case).

As for the technological state, I was quite surprised. Not that many people seemed to have smartphones, data plans were horribly expensive, and there was never any free WiFi. When I arrived I thought that surely I could simply use WiFi to get around-- imagine my surprise when I realised train/tube stations (and partially the airport) had no free WiFi! Hell, even some restaurant did not have any or required registration. Back home, I could get a limitless dataplan for what I got 500MB for in the UK, and free WiFi is ubiquitous. Furthermore, I foolishly thought about purchasing some tech gizmos or games, but those plans were thrown out the window along with all of those useless pence the moment I saw the pricing pretty much anywhere.

All in all, I had a fairly good time. I'd never want to live in London, from what I've seen, but I'd certainly consider studying in a college town in the UK (or elsewhere) -- seems like a good change of pace.

I agree with the college experience. Having friends who study there and people I talk to on campus who previously did their bachelors who went to Oxbridge (and to a lesser extent Durham) to have the collegiate experience seem to have an absolutely fantastical time. These colleges are in their own slow paced bubble, and seems like a unique experience. I'm envious of the collegiate university experience relative to the city one (I live in London). London on the other hand is a constantly moving city with pedestrians seemingly having no spacial awareness for the city. It, again, is in its own bubble relative to the rest of the UK with the large amount of migrant workers, the business and the prices.

Not many people had smartphones? That's a strange thing to observe because everywhere within central London, when people get a chance at crossings or on the Underground, phones will be whipped out for checking of updates. This increases by large magnitudes in the financial districts. London is definitely a lively city at night, especially in particular districts like Soho, Covent Garden, etc. I can't really comment on the museums except for the fact that I do not derive any satisfaction by most museums. The British museum is particularity disappointing relative its Europe counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom