• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Needing to create a music playlist for a flatwarming party this saturday. Any recommendations? I'm not going for a specific genre but definitely something cheerful/chilled/laid back/cool. None of this depressing "crawling in my skin/ only women bleeds" shit...oh and no PUMP UP THE JAM House/Trance BASS IN YOUR FACE LONDON glowsticks shit either.
Sleepytime mix for young ones

Put it on just before guests arrive and let it cycle through.
I was looking on Netflix last night. They've got Mission Impossible 1, 2 and 4, but not 3. What's going on there?
I guess the netflix thread lied to me, sorry about that :(. Could also just be Netflix being weird.

Looking at random regions I see added

Canada
The Godfather, 2 , 3

UK
Dallas Buyers Club (2013)

Argentina / Brazil / Mexico
A Most Wanted Man (2014)
Behaving Badly (2014)
Also, comedy is rubbish. There's too much comedy around these days. A serious life is an authentically lived life.
You think you're funny, but I didn't laugh. All you got was a sensible chuckle.

Chinner

Banned
800620.gif

Madness.

I like tea how I like my video game consoles - black. I don't mess about with that shit like Yorkshire tea, just give me Earl Grey. Coffee on the other hand I prefer super milky and sugary.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Fuck me I've missed a lot

Today my head hurts and my coursework is 15% complete

If I work at the same rate I'll be done three days after my deadline

Great

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

The_Poet

Banned
I like tea how I like my video game consoles - black. I don't mess about with that shit like Yorkshire tea, just give me Earl Grey. Coffee on the other hand I prefer super milky and sugary.

Agreed with coffee, I tend to only use half a teaspoon of instant coffee then drown the rest in milk with a couple spoons of stevia

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I like my tea how I like my friends: cold and icy. I prefer my coffee black and super hot, like my women.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's a mixed camp where IT Crowd is concerned, but I enjoyed it. It's not the best - that goes to Peep Show or Mighty Boosh - but it's still entertaining to watch, with a fair few standout moments.

I usually really like Graham Linehan's stuff. I love Chris Morris and Richard Ayode too, but IT Crowd did nothing for me.

Peep Show is consistently excellent but MB lost it's charm for me with Series 3.

AcridMeat

Banned
#sploat4prez
Aww cheers mate :D checking that EP out now.

and man I'm still jelly that you got to see People Under The Stairs :O :D I was listening to "Empty Bottles of Water" the other day.
Ahh nice! Honestly PUTs and maybe Pharcyde would be good for a chill tune party. Pharcyde are who I've got this morning.
Oooh, you cats like flying close to the sun.

Remember: Americans don't have a word for 'humour'.
U Wot. Though I suppose I'm technically not American (raised by Euro immigrants).
Black tea is the best. Milk and sugar really do ruin it.
Jokes or not, I actually drink black tea as is and enjoy it. Have been drinking more green recently when I have tea.
Black Books is the only good comedy to come out of the 00s and it's all thanks to Tamsin Greig being unconventionally stunning.
Peep Show wants to take you out back for a round with a bit of wood.

Oh and other Meat, did the office scandal get out to anyone else? Did your boss ask any of the other witnesses there for them to weigh in on what happened? Would at least clear the crazy out of the room, I'd imagine.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Ah the classic I'm smart calm and collected vs you're dumb big and ugly argument in panel form comic.
I don't know what your agenda is on this issue but your summary of the comic definitely minimizes the message and thus doesn't really bode well for your actual opinion.
darkplace is only unintentionally funny because it's awful and i'm not surprised it was never aired in the 80s
Right...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The seagull comic was good. America redeemed!

Americans stop coming over here and taking our jobs! Etc!

The IT crowd was brilliant. "I'm disabled".

So when are we starting the britgaf podcast?

Aaagh don't tempt me! I miss my old radio show, sitting in the studio with buttons. Although I know it's a joke, the world doesn't need another podcast of people unplanned chatting thinking they're funny. Plus these days aren't we all supposed to Twitch or whatever?

Symphonia

Banned
I'd totally be down for a monthly BritGAF podcast. Get a list of subjects covering everything, pick four or five different members each month to discuss them, and just go with the flow. Anyone ever listen to The Alex Baker Show on Kerrang! Radio? His shows, in which he presents with two co-hosts, is planned the night before and aired live on Sundays, and yet it always delivers. I reckon we should do it. I mean, who wouldn't want to listen to my silky-smooth Brummie accent!?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't know what your agenda is on this issue but your summary of the comic definitely minimizes the message and thus doesn't really bode well for your actual opinion.
All I'm critiquing is the commonly used trope for debate based comics. If one was confident in their message they wouldn't have to depict the opposition as a blithering nincompoop. Look at basically 99% of comics featuring a debate and you realise they all do this.

As for #GatesInGames, I'd rather just stay out of it. Arseholes are going to be arseholes at the end of the day. C'est la vie and all that.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I can understand that. I feel like for this comic in particular it was more about highlighting the idea that some people have what appears to be a mental block in regards to what is actually being objected to and instead try and make the issue about something completely unrelated. Which is also where the "actually it's about ethics in games journalism" meme comes from. But yeah most comics with a strong opinion on one side or the other will have a hard time depicting opposing viewpoints in a neutral way, and political cartoons are the perfect example of the trope you describe. That being said I also agree with you and would rather not devote much if any time discussing game gate-o-rama.

While newspaper comics often aren't subtle or funny, they do work hard to get those comics tight - they're not a long diatribe with pictures, at their best they're nice and punchy. The humour's as important as the point. Matt's sketches for the Telegraph are great at this, particularly when he properly combines several stories of a day effortlessly.

THAT SAID
Less topical, Stephen Collins is my favourite. His Guardian weekend stuff never fails to make me laugh, he's the guy behind the Gove vs Aliens comic. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/series/the-stephen-collins-cartoon

Stephen-Collins-cartoon-8-001.jpg

Reknoc

All I'm critiquing is the commonly used trope for debate based comics. If one was confident in their message they wouldn't have to depict the opposition as a blithering nincompoop. Look at basically 99% of comics featuring a debate and you realise they all do this.

As for #GatesInGames, I'd rather just stay out of it. Arseholes are going to be arseholes at the end of the day. C'est la vie and all that.

If it didn't then it wouldn't be accurate. Just saw this on my TL and it's 100% something someone typed with sincerity and that people agree with https://twitter.com/ohboyvidya/status/540254226946199552

Hey folks! Haven't posted much today because I went to the doctors to have an abscess lanced. Fun fun!! Did anyone else watch the apprentice?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
i keep remembering stuff that happened at the weekend that I forgot. Like reading from 50 shades and the bible in my isaac hayes impression

fun night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom