• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
sploat you're a lawyer, can the queen be tried if she murdered someone?
sploat you're a lawer, can the prime minister be tried if s/he murdered someone?
sploat you're a lawer, can the prime minister make up a law that benefits him or her directly?

i don't know where laws come from.

edit: i think one of my team roleplays on a little pony chatroom. hmm. i can discipline him for this right? this is fireable right?

Yes the queen would be tried. Maybe.
Prime minister definitely.
No. Laws are put together by parliament with the help of draughtsmen. They get debated in both Houses and votes and amended until they get passed. The Queen gives them a formal seal and then it's up to the apparatus of government (police, HMRC etc) to make them work.

I hate the way how there's such a stigma around depression. I'm still a human, for fuck sake, treat me like one.

Cunts.

I'm lucky in that regard. Find nicer people. This thread is a nice place to start.

My main issue with depression being diagnosed as a medically defined affliction is how unquantifiable it is. Maybe everyone is a bit depressed, maybe it's a sliding scale, maybe some people can simply regulate and subsequently process their emotions better than others.

I'd certainly be very reluctant to go to a doctor for pills because I feel sad. But then I'm reluctant to take medication full stop, I'd rather just try and deal with things on my own.

(I am in no way attempting to trivialise the issue by the way, apologies if it seems that way. I know some peeps in here are/have been really struggling with it. I just find it hard to wrap my head around it as a treatable illness sometimes. But then again I have very little experience with mental health problems. I'm just putting across my honest opinion is all.

Also, I'm a cold, heartless bastard at times!)

This is one of my favourite ads of all time.

:D

It's degrees. I get so depressed I just want to cut myself all day and then I think about suicide constantly. Tried it a couple of times but been lucky. It doesn't help that I messed up my brain with strong drugs and had a bout of schizophrenia. I need help to make my brain work. I think it's - for me - being a super sensitive person and also having lower self esteem than is workable. Whereas someone else might get some abuse in the street and laugh it off, it will make me want to die (actually die). It's too much to just 'get over' so I take meds. They mostly work. So I go back to work and get on with being as normal as someone like me can be.

Edit -
Umm. Sorry for over sharing. After my last freak out I swore I'd only talk about games! But you know I need to 'own it' and I'm actually pretty proud that I survive and manage to be a carer for Emma and do a bloody hard job. As well as looking after two guinea pigs.

Do people come to Gaf because they're depressed? Or does Gaf make people depressed?

The first! It's easier to be yourself when you have a delete key! And people here are nice. 😄

Symphonia

Banned
I'm lucky in that regard. Find nicer people. This thread is a nice place to start.
I'll say the same thing I said a couple of weeks ago. NeoGAF, and BritGAF in particular, is like a second home to me. I love the community vibe, and I love each and every one of you guys.

Jordan

This is exactly what I mean, people are so quick to label things and medicate problems away these days.

"So you've been feeling really down lately huh? Well that's not good, maybe it would help if you found the root cause of the issue and tried to resolve it that way?"

"That's just it doc, I don't know the cause. I just feel kind of sad lately."

"Oh, OK. Well I dunno then, um, pills?"

It similar to when people are off work with "stress". Don't get me wrong, it's often a genuine affliction, I know people personally that have been crippled by it. But I also know people who have been quite open about the fact that they simply went to the doctors and said they were stressed, purely to toss it off for a few months.

But again, it's the sliding scale thing to me; everyone gets stressed, obviously to varying degrees, some people just seem more able to deal with it than others.

The human brain is a curious thing.

Doctors are in a really awkward position when it comes to mental illnesses, it's quite difficult to prove whether or not the patient is lying to get drugs or is genuinely depressed, stressed, anxious, or whatever other mental illness that is around. But being that it is difficult to prove, they also have to make sure that their jobs do not come at risk, because if a patient arrives and tells the doctor that they are depressed, there are suicidal thoughts and they are self harming and the doctor says "you need counselling, go now" and doesn't offer any other support be it temporary or permanent and then the patient kills himself, the doctor is at fault. Whilst the doctor hasn't done anything wrong, the patient came to him for help and the doctor has not provided sufficient support for the patient.

I was very against getting medication for my anxiety, until it stopped me from doing my work, at that point I realised I needed help - whilst this first batch of medication has not helped me, in fact has done quite the opposite and has put me in an extremely bad place physically and emotionally - I do need to return to get help, because I am not able to support myself at this moment in time.

I'm very sceptical about counselling which I'm sure I've mentioned in here before, but I have my first appointment on Wednesday next week, and I'm returning to the doctors tomorrow to try and get my shit sorted.

The human brain is a curious thing.
clever bunch of neurons firing off electrical pulses that cause chemical reactions. depression, like any other illness, is a physical condition, it just has less direct and visible symptoms that the layman can relate to or sense as 'wrong'. medical science will hopefully find better ways to combat the crippling problems depression can cause and society, i feel, is slowly opening up to its acceptance as a real problem and less of a taboo.

also thank you sploat for a very serious set of replies to my very silly questions. i shall hire you as my defendent should i fail to become queen and change all the laws to grant me immunity.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
clever bunch of neurons firing off electrical pulses that cause chemical reactions. depression, like any other illness, is a physical condition, it just has less direct and visible symptoms that the layman can relate to or sense as 'wrong'. medical science will hopefully find better ways to combat the crippling problems depression can cause and society, i feel, is slowly opening up to its acceptance as a real problem and less of a taboo.

also thank you sploat for a very serious set of replies to my very silly questions. i shall hire you as my defendent should i fail to become queen and change all the laws to grant me immunity.

Noted. My current rate is £535 an hour.

Also. Guns N Roses. Where do we stand on them? and i don't just mean Sweet Child O Mine!

Reknoc

Also. Guns N Roses. Where do we stand on them? and i don't just mean Sweet Child O Mine!

It depends on what they're doing, if standing I guess it'd be on their shoulders though those sorts of heights would make me dizzy. Also aren't they quite old now? They probably wouldn't be able to take it.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm very sceptical about counselling which I'm sure I've mentioned in here before, but I have my first appointment on Wednesday next week, and I'm returning to the doctors tomorrow to try and get my shit sorted.
I hated counselling/therapy and just couldn't see the point in it. I'd go in and just sit there, not talking, staring at the floor or out the window. On the fourth session, I told him I wasn't coming anymore. I didn't feel better or worse about it, but it was one less burden for me to worry about.

Noted. My current rate is £535 an hour.

I liked them, when they were still Guns N Roses before they all left and it turned into the Axl Rose Ego Project.

My mate is Axl in the UK's no. 1 tribute act, I love going to see them, closest I'll ever get to seeing the real thing now.

I like all the other bands and side projects the guys have done as well, Slash is amazing live.

re: terminator genisys trailer -
no khaleesi, not like this.

also that title is awful and makes me have a minor heart attack regarding its spelling. also also it seems like cgi has gotten worse since terminator 2.

Volotaire

The plot of the film sounds interesting since it's it's time related and I am a sucker for time related stories. But the trailer was awful with a large focus on action set pieces and what seemed to be weak character interaction and dialogue. And here I was hoping for the best.

Symphonia

Banned
I refuse to believe anything happens after T2. Arnold descends into the lava and that's a wrap.
VNSuQot.gif

The plot of the film sounds interesting since it's it's time related and I am a sucker for time related stories.

BUT IT NEVER WORKS.
even sidestepping the whole 'if they need to send a robot back to stop the war then it means they've already lost' thing, it's stated that they go back to 1984 because that's the furthest back they can trace the conner lineage.

everything is dumb. that cgi arnold looks worse than the awful cgi arnold in t3 for goodness sake. cgi is dumb.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
re: terminator genisys trailer -
no khaleesi, not like this.

also that title is awful and makes me have a minor heart attack regarding its spelling. also also it seems like cgi has gotten worse since terminator 2.
It's not the CG that's gotten worse. It's how it's used and abused that makes it seem like it's worse. Technically, it's superior, but the way it's presented...well...that's a different topic all to itself.

Symphonia

Banned
A girl I was talking to on OKCupid told me she dreamt she was pregnant with my child. This is after two weeks of talking. The keyword here is 'was' - I ain't got room for psycho girls in my life anymore.

NinjaBoiX

I'm not at work tonight and have nothing else planned, it'll be the first Friday night I've had to myself in months! I'm going to fucking lounge my arse off; drink beer, eat junk food, watch a flick and hell, I may even play some vidya games!

End it all off with a big fat wank.

FXRh54N.jpg

npPIo.gif

NXKV4.gif

FUAEDnQ.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
The new terminator trailer is quite...confusing. Looks like a prequel but feels like a remake. Tre baffled :S Maybe it's because I'm still half-asleep.

I'm not at work tonight and have nothing else planned, it'll be the first Friday night I've had to myself in months! I'm going to fucking lounge my arse off; drink beer, eat junk food, watch a flick and hell, I may even play some vidya games!

End it all off with a big fat wank.

Start off with the wank, it'll make your other activities 30% more productive I promise.

Reknoc

Finished with the Destiny demo. I liked it enough that I'm gonna pop down to grainger and trade in the copy of LBP3 that came with the PS4, but man the game feels really loot starved like you barely even get anything making tougher enemies unsatisfying to fight, and if you do get anything it's just dumped in your inventory with very little fanfare that it's not really enjoyable at all.

maybe I should just reinstall PSO instead.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Finished with the Destiny demo. I liked it enough that I'm gonna pop down to grainger and trade in the copy of LBP3 that came with the PS4, but man the game feels really loot starved like you barely even get anything making tougher enemies unsatisfying to fight, and if you do get anything it's just dumped in your inventory with very little fanfare that it's not really enjoyable at all.

maybe I should just reinstall PSO instead.

The loot is there,but there's not much of it and it's hard to come by. On the plus side, you do end up with some really nice 'hand crafted' items. On the down side, it takes some serious grinding to level them up.

It's all about the shooting gameplay. If it hooks you, you won't care. I'm probably done with it for a long while apart from the odd PvP match; the news that I'll need to re-grind my exotic weapons following the latest patch is enough to put me off for a while.

-

Guns N Roses Live at the Ritz (on YouTube) is really something. I find their albums a bit much because the songs never have any space in them, but watching that video was enough for me to really admire them.

Also, I am very tired today. E was really bad last night. Much crying on both of our parts. Sigh. Cannot wait for today to end.

Ashes

Banned
A girl I was talking to on OKCupid told me she dreamt she was pregnant with my child. This is after two weeks of talking. The keyword here is 'was' - I ain't got room for psycho girls in my life anymore.

I once told a girl online, that I was a raging alcoholic, when she asked if I drink. Didn't really know why at the time. Perhaps I thought I was being funny. Alternatively, she was quite pretty. And it might just have been self sabotage.

I don't think I'm a pyscho. Does eating rat blood make me a psychopath?

I don't eat rat blood.
I drink it! hey oh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom