• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Just saw this on FB, made me smile:

M8Vz90m.jpg

Daww!

No idea who the bambina in the front is.

NinjaBoiX

Stuff like this makes me want to get wise in the head a bit quicker. HItting thirty soon. But I guess I have time.. :p
Yeah, they didn't mess about! They formed the band after meeting Jack and Will Bottomley at school and released their first EP when they were 13. Fuck's sake...13 and they were recording and releasing EP's, mental.

I assume the Macintyre siblings had been playing together for a while before that though.
I'm about to pop my It's A Wonderful Life virginity. Welp.
GF's favourite movie, she cries like a baby every time.

Ashes

Banned

I fell asleep the first time [ it was on telly at like 3 in the morning, and I'd just come in]. Second time, I had to watch for film analysis. So effectively, writing about 'how the feels' work.
Third time [or one of the subsequent times], I put it on for the family, to test out the projector.

I really like how it comes together in the end. Something very genuine about this film.

Symphonia

Banned
Prince Charles Cinema usually have it on this of time of year. You could stop and just go watch it on the big screen today if you're in London.
A three-hour train ride just isn't worth it, aha. I'd love to see it in the cinema, mind. I'll keep my eyes open for local cinema screenings.

I've heard from many people it's a tear-jerker. I'm not sure whether I'll cry or not. I blubber like a fool during some movies. Click, Marley & Me, Lion King, Toy Story 3, Up...they all reduced me to a wreck.

moka

Have you guys heard about train prices going up?

Don't we already have some of the highest priced train tickets in Europe? smh

Visiting home is just gonna get more and more expensive.

Ashes

Banned
Have you guys heard about train prices going up?

Don't we already have some of the highest priced train tickets in Europe? smh

Visiting home is just gonna get more and more expensive.

It goes up huge amounts every year. But to be fair, I read reports of it being the lowest rise it's been in years.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Our trains are sooo bad. The only journey I don't mind so much is Manchester to London, but that's because I get to sit in first class. /Hilary swank 😄

Also...reknoc or anyone still playing destiny...is there any appetite to set up a ps4 raid group? Provided you don't mind me being flaky of course.

Son Of D

what gets my goat is how awful the service is. arriva trains are always late and at least one carriage short. so crap.

First Great Western trains down in Devon are crap as well. Two carriage trains during busy periods and four to six carriage trains during the quieter times. Not to mention the constant delays and the fact that the carriages themselves are shit. Luckily I don't have to worry about them much now, only when I visit the family.

Exeter to London via First Class is nice though I will say that (thank you railcard).

Trains in the north west are basically cattle trucks on wheels. Absolutely rank, service unreliable, and it's a rare day when there are enough carriages.

NinjaBoiX

Coaches mane, they're a fraction of the price. I can get to Sunderland and back for about 60% of the cost of a single way on the train. It only takes an extra half an hour, it's more comfortable and it gets me right into Sunderland.

Symphonia

Banned
Coaches mane, they're a fraction of the price. I can get to Sunderland and back for about 60% of the cost of a single way on the train. It only takes an extra half an hour, it's more comfortable and it gets me right into Sunderland.
A train to Cardiff from Birmingham would cost me £45. A coach would cost me £5. It's a longer journey (3 hours longer, lawlz) but I'll sacrifice time to save money.

Son Of D

There is that. I'm getting a coach down to Devon when I go visit the family. Costing me £7 from London Victoria to Exeter. Getting a train back though and that's £14.50 first class from Exeter to Waterloo (thank you railcard and advance booking).

moka

Fuck getting a coach, I'd rather pay the money and get a train.

Return to Blackpool last night cost me £85

I am too, not on that coach hype.

5.5 hours to Bradford. Naaaaaaaah.

A work colleague was talking about train lateness with me. He has a Japanese partner. Late for Japan is 1 minute!
hah yeah, i remember reading about how the entire train network in japan racked up a total of ten minutes delay in an entire year*. when i visited there efficiency was definitely an obvious part of their culture. as was leering at women.

*figures may be incorrect, can't be arsed to reference.

PS FLAT FOUND IN MANCHESTER. HENSHIN A GO GO BABY.

Fuck any kind of bus. Train and tube all the way.

NinjaBoiX

Good work on the flat skeleton!
A train to Cardiff from Birmingham would cost me £45. A coach would cost me £5. It's a longer journey (3 hours longer, lawlz) but I'll sacrifice time to save money.
See you have to balance out cost and journey time.

Manchester to Sunderland and vice versa is about 2 and a half hours on the train but costs anywhere from £50-100.

It's only an extra half an hour on the coach and costs like a tenner. Plus, I find it more comfortable; the seats are softer, it's darker and it's quieter.

It's a no brainer.

Volotaire

Trains from Brum to London are usually cheap at off peak times. It's great when you manage to book a cheap Virgin train ticket with its swift journey time. Coaches are usually slightly cheaper (National Express Brum to London) if you book about 3 days in advance but they are subject to delays and quite uncomfortable.

Tubes are great, buses are OK. I love trains.

8bit

Knows the Score
A work colleague was talking about train lateness with me. He has a Japanese partner. Late for Japan is 1 minute!

Over here (Switzerland), if a train isn't pulling up to the platform exactly at the time specified people start harrumphing and tapping on their watch faces pointedly.

Volotaire

Isn't that the done thing in the UK, too?

Yeh, trains usually (mostly national ones and even local services) are never late and have to be on time. People are usually anxious and annoyed when it arrives even on minute late. I'm not saying lateness does not occur, I've had my share of experiencing late issues with trains.

I think you have the difference in meaning behind the tutting - here, it's if it's late, you're fully expecting it to be CONSIDERABLY late based on previous form, not just that it actively is a minute late.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeh, trains usually (mostly national ones and even local services) are never late and have to be on time. People are usually anxious and annoyed when it arrives even on minute late. I'm not saying lateness does not occur, I've had my share of experiencing late issues with trains.

The worst I've seen is at Euston. Because there's nowhere to sit (unless you're in the 1st lounge) and because they don't announce the departure platforms until 10 mins before, there's always this huge panic whenever a train is announced. You sort of absorb the panic from all of the anxious people around you nervously fast-walking to the platform to make sure they get a seat. It's horrible.

I don't mind coaches. I mean, the Megabus from Manchester to London is about a tenner. If you don't mind it being a bit dull, it's way way cheaper than the train.

Symphonia

Banned
The worst I've seen is at Euston. Because there's nowhere to sit (unless you're in the 1st lounge) and because they don't announce the departure platforms until 10 mins before, there's always this huge panic whenever a train is announced. You sort of absorb the panic from all of the anxious people around you nervously fast-walking to the platform to make sure they get a seat. It's horrible.
Euston's wank. I spent the night sleeping there after the Christmas meet last year. It was freezing and uncomfortable. And the toilets were a mess!

Volotaire

I don't mind coaches. I mean, the Megabus from Manchester to London is about a tenner. If you don't mind it being a bit dull, it's way way cheaper than the train.

Oh yes, I agree with Euston. Strange how they're only restructuring the tube part of the station but not the main concourse or lobby. At least after Watford Junction (Euston to New Street) a good proportion of passangers leave.

You got Euston Spot on. Horrible station.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hehe (that was to Jackben) - I hate Final Fantasy so I get good schadenfreude from these things.

What did everyone think of all of these announcements??

My brain dump is that

Uncharted looks like Uncharted, so not really bothered.

No Man's Sky looks more fascinating every time I see it. I just love the concept of this whole galaxy being generated within a console from an equation. And I like Proteus so I don't mind if it's a walking sim (as long as it has great sound).

The Order looks good to me. I don't get the fuss. It's just a third person shooting game with pretty graphics.

Until Dawn is not my kind of thing, I don't like that modern horror aesthetic.

Drawn to Death looks like a nice Sunset Overdrive substitute.

Quite a few interesting Vita games - especially Super Time Force Ultra (and the news that Shovel Knight is coming too!)...looks like my Vita moaning was premature (especially since it's become my retro game buddy).

What did you think?

(Also, the Xbox 360 is like my dream console. Ikaruga is the best game ever made. And Dark Souls doesn't seem that hard...yet? Am I doing it wrong? I've just killed the Taurus Demon and now I'm fighting this bull / dog type thing. I absolutely love the art design though. Last night I was walking around these ghostly ruins with the lights out and it was genuinely creepy when ghostly hands became spider-leggy-claws.)

Reknoc

Really liked what I saw for Uncharted 4 and Street Fighter V, it's nice to be excited for actual PS4-ass PS4 games instead of upressed PS3 games.

But I'm more excited for a PS3 game YAKUZA 5 COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

nothing I'm especially excited for on the Vita though, but I guess Phantasy Star Nova wasn't going to be announced the same time as Yakuza 5, there's only room for one Christmas miracle.

Volotaire

I never played Yakuza. So I don't really understand the hype except for the fact that it takes a long time to come to the West/ queries about whether it would make business sense to release it in the West. I'll have to catch up with the rest of the trailers.

Reknoc

I never played Yakuza. So I don't really understand the hype except for the fact that it takes a long time to come to the West/ queries about whether it would make business sense to release it in the West. I'll have to catch up with the rest of the trailers.

tumblr_mvao5mn8HK1s3t6r6o1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom