• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Just watched the Uncharted 4 footage, it looks mint! The part when he jumps off the cliff, swings on his grappling hook and then punches the guy as he lands, amaze.
My date cancelled on me and gave me such a vague reason.

Urgh.
gYhVLZw.gif

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well, if you got questions, consider me a spoiler free guide. One thing I strongly advise: don't put any points into RES.

Ta.

Just watched the Uncharted 4 footage, it looks mint! The part when he jumps off the cliff, swings on his grappling hook and then punches the guy as he lands, amaze.

Enough to get you playing games again? :) P.S. we really should meet up soon. (I originally typo'd son, which was pretty funny, son).

I love Harryhausen, saw a documentary on him not long ago. Grew up watching a ton of his films. :D

I just remember being about 5 or 6 and Talos (the guy in the pic coming to life). There were many tears!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The Witness is being streamed now. I'm such a fan of Jon Blow.

No set pieces there, just lots of lines. Lots and lots of lines.

Volotaire

I really need to play Uncharted one day. I lent a PS3 off someone during the summer holidays, but I'm holding out for the inevitable Uncharted PS4 collection. I'm hoping to get a used PS3 soon, and a PS4 after.

Volotaire

People are obsessed with accurately predicting counterfactuals and alternative futures pertaining to real life. Butterfly theory makes it so that the alternative future would be vastly different. I mean, me slipping over will cause an alternative future, and so does every action we take. It's fun to speculate, but you have to realise it's impossible to even comprehend.

Symphonia

Banned
People are obsessed with accurately predicting counterfactuals and alternative futures pertaining to real life. Butterfly theory makes it so that the alternative future would be vastly different. I mean, me slipping over will cause an alternative future, and so does every action we take. It's fun to speculate, but you have to realise it's impossible to even comprehend.
Blind mown.

NinjaBoiX

Enough to get you playing games again? :) P.S. we really should meet up soon. (I originally typo'd son, which was pretty funny, son).
Hopefully! I'm determined to get back on that horse, I miss having a good nerd out.

Next weekend bro! Saturday lunch time is the plan, will update with deets innit.
are you a fan of set piece bullshit?
No, just pretty, fun, technically accomplished blockbusters that entertain me. Don't be such an elitist man, it looks great!

I watched that trailer and thought "that looks awesome, I want to play that."
I'm getting U4 and a PS4 day one. Booking the day off work and everything.
Mint.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Please express this in visual format using graph paper, a compass and a sharp pencil!

Uncharted just looks the same old same old to me. I think I'm going to learn my lesson one day with these big Western "cinematic" "immersive" experiences. I've truly enjoyed 1 or 2 out of all of the ones I've played. They just seem like such passive experiences to me. And if I want a tech demo, I'll just watch bits on YouTube. Hashtag elitist grouch.

Symphonia

Banned
Uncharted 4 may look the same but like the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Naughty Dog are undeniably Gods when it comes to making the hardware work in their favour. The Uncharted series, and The Last of Us, are brilliant examples of what can be achieved if devs really put their heart in to a game.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I've never understood the love Uncharted 2 received. I played it to completion and it was such a chore. Technically very nice, but the mechanics were tepid. I never felt challenged or involved in anything going on. Plus the story is just dull - some nice lines of dialogue but empty.

A game needs to mechanically challenge or offer some kind of unique tone/atmosphere to hook me, I think.

Reknoc

Did a strike in destiny, it was fun but really long and maybe a bit too time consuming for my liking. This is almost the most dangerous game, not because I fear getting too into it but because it makes me want to load up PSO.

No, just pretty, fun, technically accomplished blockbusters that entertain me. Don't be such an elitist man, it looks great!

I watched that trailer and thought "that looks awesome, I want to play that."

Same, but at the same time it all looked so scripted like either naughty dog are amazing and made combat really dynamic or its a lot less interesting

NinjaBoiX

"Guess whose living here,
With the great undead,
This paint-by-numbers life,
Is fucking with my head,"

- Novocaine For The Soul

(Before I sputter out) :p

Reknoc

it needs to avoid the 'LOOK HOW MASSIVE OUR GAME IS' trend that has caused so many empty collectathons recently.
it also needs to stop telling me what a fucking boss key does every single time i find one.

Yuuup the overworld really reminded me of far cry.

Hopefully Nintendo has learned what not to do after skyward sword and what to do after A Link Between Worlds.
Probably going to be my GOTY regardless though.

Symphonia

Banned
Pessimistic fools. You don't know the power of Nintendo if you doubt them so.
I don't doubt them entirely. Wind Waker HD was brilliant, and Mario Kart 8 has provided hours of fun. It's just at the moment they're paying so much attention to the overworld, that I worry the dungeons may end up akin to Skyward Sword. In a perfect world, an inch-for-inch remake of ALTTP, running on an updated engine used in SS, would be the dream game.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've never understood the love Uncharted 2 received. I played it to completion and it was such a chore. Technically very nice, but the mechanics were tepid. I never felt challenged or involved in anything going on. Plus the story is just dull - some nice lines of dialogue but empty.

A game needs to mechanically challenge or offer some kind of unique tone/atmosphere to hook me, I think.

Me too. I feel like games have lost their way mechanically for fear of some 10 year old not being able to finish it. It never did me any harm, mostly!

I was scared of the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts. They had little angry faces!

Oh oh oh and Medusa too. He was such a great animator.

STOP THE BETAMAX! I NEED RESPITE!

I'm convinced that the next Zelda game is going to be the best game ever made.

Skyward Sword was so bad though. It undid everything that made Zelda fun. I'm not excited for Zelda games any more.

NinjaBoiX

it needs to avoid the 'LOOK HOW MASSIVE OUR GAME IS' trend that has caused so many empty collectathons recently.
it also needs to stop telling me what a fucking boss key does every single time i find one.
So much this.

I love Zelda games, the three I've played (OoT, MM and TP) rank up there with my favourite games ever. But fuck's sake, the text box that comes up every single time you pick up an item gets right on my tits! Even for shit like red rupees, it's like "I know, I know, I get it, it's 20 quid, leave me alone!"

They need to add something like this:

rx2DMR4.jpg

Reknoc

Skyward Sword was so bad though. It undid everything that made Zelda fun. I'm not excited for Zelda games any more.

Unpopular opinion time: Despite its many, annoying, flaws I still loved Skyward Sword. I really liked the motion controls (yes even, especially, the swimming), I loved the dungeons (ancient cistern <3), the bosses (ancient cistern <3), the environments, the characters, the story, groose.

But man fuck Fi, and the barren ass sky overworld.

So much this.

I love Zelda games, the three I've played (OoT, MM and TP) rank up there with my favourite games ever. But fuck's sake, the text box that comes up every single time you pick up an item gets right on my tits! Even for shit like red rupees, it's like "I know, I know, I get it, it's 20 quid, leave me alone!"

They need to add something like this:

rx2DMR4.jpg

Twilight Princess was really the only one where that was a problem where it'd reset tool tips whenever you reset the game and in Skyward Sword it was even worse because there were way more smaller items to collect that would all have the text pop up every time you loaded the game up, that along with Fi telling you what to do every five minutes was the games biggest failings.

OoT3D?

Don't you hate HD ports?

A Link Between Worlds, which yea, was pretty great. Though I thought the item rental system wasn't that interesting.

The_Poet

Banned
Finally recovered from the weekend and in a state I can call human just in time for work.. :(

Ross Noble was terrible, I get hes an improv comedian but when your act is just chatting to the front 4 rows of the crowd you are going to alienate the rest of the audience. We left at the intermission.

The rest of the night was fantastic though.

How did the meet go? I have yet to see any incriminating pictures/videos :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That wasn't the last Zelda game though. The last Zelda game was actually fantastic.

I forgot about that one. The reboot of Link to the Past with a bit of non linearity and an easier difficulty? I just need some challenge. I like getting stuck and having to figure things out.

Unpopular opinion time: Despite its many, annoying, flaws I still loved Skyward Sword. I really liked the motion controls (yes even, especially, the swimming), I loved the dungeons (ancient cistern <3), the bosses (ancient cistern <3), the environments, the characters, the story, groose.

But man fuck Fi, and the barren ass sky overworld.

Twilight Princess was really the only one where that was a problem where it'd reset tool tips whenever you reset the game and in Skyward Sword it was even worse because there were way more smaller items to collect that would all have the text pop up every time you loaded the game up, that along with Fi telling you what to do every five minutes was the games biggest failings.

A Link Between Worlds, which yea, was pretty great. Though I thought the item rental system wasn't that interesting.

I can understand that. My sister in law loves it too. Ancient Cistern was pretty good.
And the first fight with Ghirahim, too. But aside from that it felt like baby's first adventure game. "Go here! Do that! Here is a big CLUE!". My unpopular opinion is that the Water Temple is actually great and the fight with mirror link my favourite Zelda boss fight. Don't tell me what to do, game! Let the environment tell me and then I get to use my imagination!

I think that's why I care more about No Man's Sky and the Witness than Batman, Uncharted etc. I get to fill in the blanks. It's why Fez is my favourite game. In my mind, it's a 2001 take on perspective and growing older. With an amazing soundtrack.

RiggyRob

Yiss, Smash Bros has finally arrived. I'm hoping I won't regret not getting the Gamecube adapter bundle instead of the amiibo bundle but from the sounds of it people have been getting their orders canceled anyway. Plus I ended up getting it for £43 so it was a pretty good deal anyway.

Finally recovered from the weekend and in a state I can call human just in time for work.. :(

Ross Noble was terrible, I get hes an improv comedian but when your act is just chatting to the front 4 rows of the crowd you are going to alienate the rest of the audience. We left at the intermission.

I've never found him that funny to be honest. When it's good though, you can't beat stand up comedy. For my 24th a bunch of us went to the comedy store in London, great night out. Five comedians, one billed as a "special guest." Except for Russel Kane, I'd never heard of any of the others which was nice in a way. Special guest turned out to be Kevin Bridges, which made the whole audience go nuts because the venue was quite intimate and it's cool to see guys like him up close. His set was good but he gabbled slightly, which made me think he was trying out new material on a smaller crowd.

Incriminating photographs are in the meet thread now. I am making a variety of faces in them.

Just dodged train fare. I'm totes a rebel.

I've reported you to the relevant authorities.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So much this.

Actually red is worth 20 rupees not quid. They don't use pound sterling in Hyrule. Clearly they didn't display that message enough.

The_Poet

Banned
I've never found him that funny to be honest. When it's good though, you can't beat stand up comedy. For my 24th a bunch of us went to the comedy store in London, great night out. Five comedians, one billed as a "special guest." Except for Russel Kane, I'd never heard of any of the others which was nice in a way. Special guest turned out to be Kevin Bridges, which made the whole audience go nuts because the venue was quite intimate and it's cool to see guys like him up close. His set was good but he gabbled slightly, which made me think he was trying out new material on a smaller crowd.

Incriminating photographs are in the meet thread now. I am making a variety of faces in them.

I've reported you to the relevant authorities.

Yeh I do love good stand up. I saw Marcus Brigstocke a while ago, he was great and I had the chance to go see Micky Flanagan a but never pulled the trigger on tickets, I still regret that. Seeing Kevin Bridges in a small theatre must have been great, well jel.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeh I do love good stand up. I saw Marcus Brigstocke a while ago, he was great and I had the chance to go see Micky Flanagan a but never pulled the trigger on tickets, I still regret that. Seeing Kevin Bridges in a small theatre must have been great, well jel.

My favourite comedian ever is this Norwegian dude called Daniel Simonsen. He's only ever done one tiny set as far as I can tell but he is the only comedian I've ever been able to relate to. We saw him supporting Simon Amstell (who I also like).

I watched Al Murray's stand-up on Netflix and noticed this. The first 40 minutes was just stuff like "Who are you? What do you do? How did you meet your missus?", and I was thinking "That's not really stand-up comedy...". It looked like someone who hadn't prepared anything beforehand and was just trying to fill time.

I don't Mickey Flanagan, his whole act is just referencing different shops and budget consumer brands. "So I was going to my local boozer and I went past a Lidl..."

I like Mrs Brown's Boys. A man in a dress is always funny.

The_Poet

Banned
My favourite comedian ever is this Norwegian dude called Daniel Simonsen. He's only ever done one tiny set as far as I can tell but he is the only comedian I've ever been able to relate to. We saw him supporting Simon Amstell (who I also like).

Ive seen Daniel Simonsen's set too!(on TV). I think hes great, very unique style as well.

I watched Al Murray's stand-up on Netflix and noticed this. The first 40 minutes was just stuff like "Who are you? What do you do? How did you meet your missus?", and I was thinking "That's not really stand-up comedy...". It looked like someone who hadn't prepared anything beforehand and was just trying to fill time.

I quite like Al Murray though, hes definitely more quick witted about his interactions with the audience and knows that there is the rest of the crowd to cater for as well. Ross Noble was very closed off even down to his body language and I cant remember him even looking up towards the rest of the audience.

I don't Mickey Flanagan, his whole act is just referencing different shops and budget consumer brands. "So I was going to my local boozer and I went past a Lidl..."

Maybe its cos we're both cockney geezers, I can relate to his jokes y'know.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Love you roundabout!

Ive seen Daniel Simonsen's set too!(on TV). I think hes great, very unique style as well.

Hurray! His joke about a flat share for introverts is basically my second year at uni.

I quite like Al Murray though, hes definitely more quick witted about his interactions with the audience and knows that there is the rest of the crowd to cater for as well. Ross Noble was very closed off even down to his body language and I cant remember him even looking up towards the rest of the audience.

I normally like Al Murray too, and I was pretty chuffed when I noticed there were a couple of his stand-ups on Netflix. But the one I watched (can't remember the name) was just a bit of a yawn-fest, for the first half at least. The problem with that sort of 'fishing' in the audience is that you're not guaranteed anything funny is actually going to come up, and it just kinda didn't that time :-/

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I have decided to post a pic of myself in the pic of yourself thread. I've ummed and ahhed and my solution is to post a daft one because it'll help me get over my mortal fear of anyone I haven't known for at least 5 years seeing my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom