• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

pissed off. grrr.

Ordered an XRGB Mini (upscaler unit) from Solaris Japan last Monday. Arrived in the UK on Wednesday. Was in customs until Saturday and today the tracking status was updated with
A delivery was attempted for your item with reference RR********JP in (my town name here) PDO before 06:40am on 04/02/14.

If the addressee does not collect it or make an arrangement to have it redelivered, it will be returned to the sender in the UK

So, that doesn't make sense to me. Delivery attempted at 6am? wut. So I phoned up the Royal Mail, and they said that the item was being held because it was given a customs charge for VAT

so not only do I have to somehow get into town tomorrow during work to pick it up, I also have to pay £45 for the priviledge. If I knew it would have ended up costing this much, I would have bought one on fucking ebay

goddamn customs

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I like the episodes where they visit the United States south, the one where Clarkson is in Japan and the one were they have the competition to make the ultimate motor home vehicle with bed lodgings.

My fave superish comparison car trips:

- Journey to find the best road in europe (Richard in a Porsche, James in an Aston Martin and Jezza in the Lambo
- The hyper car one which I cant remember the purpose of in France where Richards in the Pagani zonda, james in a ferarria f430 (i think) and jeremy in a ford gt
- Hot hatchbacks in rome
- American muscle Car one ending at the salt flats

Best adventures/challenges:

- American south $1000 challenge
- Polar Special
- Bangledash Special
- Aquatic Cars both 1&2
- Botswana Special
- I liked the two parter Africa special too

Races:

- Aston Martin to Monte Carlo
- Mercedes SLR Mclaren to that cold looking place near/in poland
- Bugatti Veyron versus a plane
- Nissan GTR versus japan bullet train

Love me some Top gear

Symphonia

Banned
I'm yet to watch it, I'll probably watch it tonight when I'm curled up in bed.

Got rejected by fucking Greggs today. Feels bad, man. So now I'm having a cheeky drink or two of Jack and listening to some old-school blink-182.

SuperSah

Banned
So we're expecting a storm tomorrow, right?

I was wondering why it's extremely gusty tonight. Feels like the roof wants to go at times, lol.

How's everyone??

8bit

Knows the Score
The music on Top Gear is almost always amazing. Portishead, Lamb, David Holmes, DJ Shadow, Aphex Twin, etc. They always choose cool stuff.

The camerawork and editing is excellent too, it's a proper classy production.

And yeah, the adventure episodes are usually the best. The India one a few series back was so good! I still wish they had more proper car reviews though. Like BGBW said, they seem to have moved too far away from the magazine format IMO.

The music on this one was pretty good, it was 80s centric without being overly annoying.

http://forums.finalgear.com/wts-tg-season-21/21x01-february-2nd-2014-a-57392/

NinjaBoiX

The music on this one was pretty good, it was 80s centric without being overly annoying.

http://forums.finalgear.com/wts-tg-season-21/21x01-february-2nd-2014-a-57392/
Ah cool, this is a nice little database. I always wondered if there was somewhere you could find out what was played in each episode. 8bit, bringing the useful info as per! ;)

I saw a "Music of Top Gear" CD a few years back and had a quick look at the back expecting it to be full of great music.

It wasn't. It was your typical collection of dad rock "driving classics": Europe, Rainbow, Coldplay, U2, Dire Straits, Status Quo, etc.

IgMyx.gif

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Ah cool, this is a nice little database. I always wondered if there was somewhere you could find out what was played in each episode. 8bit, bringing the useful info as per! ;)

I saw a "Music of Top Gear" CD a few years back and had a quick look at the back expecting it to be full of great music.

It wasn't. It was your typical collection of dad rock "driving classics": Europe, Rainbow, Coldplay, U2, Dire Straits, Status Quo, etc.

Hey, Europe and Dire Straits are good! Coldplay's first album was, too.

I loved the dad rock song on Random Access Memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3bMERyIUWo&feature=kp

8bit

Knows the Score

IgMyx.gif

Yeah, that's a horrible Fathers Day/Christmas "Dad Rock" slippers thing which really isn't representative of the scores used for the show, even though the most recent was a bit 80s for reasons there was still some reasonably modern stuff (David Holmes in particular).

Saying that, David Holmes is an often visited artist for the show but his albums are pretty soundtracky so it's a good fit.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So we're expecting a storm tomorrow, right?

I was wondering why it's extremely gusty tonight. Feels like the roof wants to go at times, lol.

How's everyone??

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalright.

Listening to a record, faffing around with Codecademy.

Played some Extinction before on Ghosts. It was great fun, but I forgot to blink and now my eyes hurt.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dad presents are useless for me since they never apply to my dad's tastes. He'd rather listen to chiptunes than "driving classics" since at least they sound is interesting.

8bit

Knows the Score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalright.

Listening to a record, faffing around with Codecademy.

Played some Extinction before on Ghosts. It was great fun, but I forgot to blink and now my eyes hurt.

Ooohhh, what are you listening to? Is it an actual vinyl record?

--

Quick slightly related vinyl anecdote : I bought what I thought was a nice vinyl jacket thing (for a human) from Esprit a few years ago, it's like a suit jacket made out of vinyl. Anyway, I employed a new guy in my department who turned out to be a rather flamboyant gay man, and at one point he mentioned that he thought my jacket was a bit over the top. I figured that when the most fabulous gay man I've ever met considered my clothing was too much for him then I might want to reign my sartorial flare in somewhat.

Dad presents are useless for me since they never apply to my dad's tastes. He'd rather listen to chiptunes than "driving classics" since at least they sound is interesting.

1300631256809965.jpg

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ooohhh, what are you listening to? Is it an actual vinyl record?

--

Quick slightly related vinyl anecdote : I bought what I thought was a nice vinyl jacket thing (for a human) from Esprit a few years ago, it's like a suit jacket made out of vinyl. Anyway, I employed a new guy in my department who turned out to be a rather flamboyant gay man, and at one point he mentioned that he thought my jacket was a bit over the top. I figured that when the most fabulous gay man I've ever met considered my clothing was too much for him then I might want to reign my sartorial flare in somewhat.

It is! I am listening to 'Future Days' by Can.

Your story made me chuckle! It's black, right?

NinjaBoiX

Edit: lol at the gay jacket story 8bit!

Pics pls.
Hey, Europe and Dire Straits are good! Coldplay's first album was, too.

I loved the dad rock song on Random Access Memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3bMERyIUWo&feature=kp
I do love a bit of Sultans of Swing to be fair, and Parachutes is a pretty good record. I buzzed off it in my youf.

I still need to hear RAM, the first track is god tier.
Yeah, that's a horrible Fathers Day/Christmas "Dad Rock" slippers thing which really isn't representative of the scores used for the show, even though the most recent was a bit 80s for reasons there was still some reasonably modern stuff (David Holmes in particular).

Saying that, David Holmes is an often visited artist for the show but his albums are pretty soundtracky so it's a good fit.
Yeah, they blatantly just stuck "Top Gear" on the front to shift units.

And Mr Holmes is the bomb, some of my favourite soundtracks are from him. Ocean's Eleven and Out of Sight are particularly good.

Repost but it's such a tune:

David Holmes - Rip Rip
"If I say we in on this Ripley shit we in on it, with or without your punk ass. And if I say you gonna walk up in this house and do this motherfucker so I can see if you got any balls or not, guess what else you gonna do."
:D
sploatee said:
Did my gentle guidance help Sploat? You bringing the pain to those 12 year olds yet?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Did my gentle guidance help Sploat? You bringing the pain to those 12 year olds yet?

It did, thanks! I keep that mute ON.

My K/D ratio is around 0.7, so I'm getting there. I still freak out every so often from all the noise and run away from the combat to hide, mind!

Symphonia

Banned
Why do Sony insist on changing the US and EU PlayStation stores on different days? I just want to play Outlast now, rather than have it spoiled for me by the internet.

f0rk

Why do Sony insist on changing the US and EU PlayStation stores on different days? I just want to play Outlast now, rather than have it spoiled for me by the internet.

You turn around and there's nothing there then you turn around again and there's a scary monster.

8bit

Knows the Score
Edit: lol at the gay jacket story 8bit!

Pics pls.

I still need to hear RAM, the first track is god tier.

The gay jacket is in the cupboard of shame these days, but I'll dig it out. Hopefully it's not full of spiders.

RAM is all right, but other than the Moroder track is called it's pretty much my definition of Dad Techno. Or Dad Punk maybe. The Moroder track is amazing though, they've used recording equipment and instruments/synths of the times he's describing and it's all sorts of trainspotter audiotastic which is probably completely oblivious to the consuming audience. I think they've been going downhill since Homework though.

Son Of D

For those in LondonGAF, I'm up London in April (exact dates to be decided later this month) so if anyone's up for a mini-meet then I'm game.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The gay jacket is in the cupboard of shame these days, but I'll dig it out. Hopefully it's not full of spiders.

RAM is all right, but other than the Moroder track is called it's pretty much my definition of Dad Techno. Or Dad Punk maybe. The Moroder track is amazing though, they've used recording equipment and instruments/synths of the times he's describing and it's all sorts of trainspotter audiotastic which is probably completely oblivious to the consuming audience. I think they've been going downhill since Homework though.

Really? I thought it was their best album by a long, long distance. It is definitely nowhere near Homework musically, so I can see why someone who is into that kind of music would dislike it, but for me it was superb. Touch, Fragments of Time, Giorgio, Get Lucky... well pretty much the entire album is brilliant. Tied with Reflektor for my album of 2013.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oh dear.

Top item on BBC News this morning has pics of Dawlish with part of seafront washed away, railway out and an awful lot of water everywhere.

You OK in all that Son of D?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You broke him with your Japanness. I hope you're happy man.

Hotel wifi that doesn't load Netflix

WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT IN YOU?

That is what you call a pricktease. Full episodes of tv on youtube though :p

how is the north? Have you met any of the reclusive and possibly imaginary MancGAF yet?

On the boat going out of the port, see ya later BritGAF, much love xoxo

BYE TASH! THANKS FOR TELLING US YOU WERE LEAVING

For those in LondonGAF, I'm up London in April (exact dates to be decided later this month) so if anyone's up for a mini-meet then I'm game.

I might be about depending on dates. Sure we can get a few folk to come say hi.

Oh dear.

Top item on BBC News this morning has pics of Dawlish with part of seafront washed away, railway out and an awful lot of water everywhere.

I thought that town name rang a bell, now I remember you hilariously shitting on it last week. I too hope D is ok!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just spent my morning listening to an excellent record sampler from Sonic Anhedonic Recording Company (http://sonicanhedonic.bandcamp.com/album/sarc-samp1er) which has left me feeling deeply insecure about my own musical abilities. Ahhhhhhh. Guy I went to school with is in two of those bands, kicks arse. I need to get through my head that other people making good stuff does not detract from my ability to make good stuff.

Yay wednesday morning insecurity!

theaface

Morning all. How is everybody?

Feeling pretty good today as I booked my honeymoon yesterday. 2 weeks in the Maldives in a very typically honeymoon setting. Only a twinge of disappointment that we couldn't do Japan just yet, but it was working out far too expensive and I think it would have been a bit too active/busy for that type of holiday. One day though.

SmokyDave

Morning y'all!

Hope everyone is keeping well. Feeling pretty chipper on this Wednesday morning. Missus had a 4D scan yesterday and the baby looks just like me! go Smoky genes!

Dunno, but it gets right on my tits. I always get caught out by the 'Outlast tonight!' posts.

Still, Outlast tonight!

SKINNER!

Banned
RBF and LTJ gig tonight. Cannot sleep. Will not sleep. Work is going to be fun.

Feeling pretty good today as I booked my honeymoon yesterday. 2 weeks in the Maldives in a very typically honeymoon setting. Only a twinge of disappointment that we couldn't do Japan just yet, but it was working out far too expensive and I think it would have been a bit too active/busy for that type of holiday. One day though.

obama_thumbsup.gif

SmokyDave

if you managed to go this long without being spoiled by outlast i dont see how one day will make a difference.
I didn't even know it existed until about a week ago when my brother in law pointed me to the trailer.

It's not so much spoilers that bother me, it's the 'woohoo!... ....aaah bugger' moment when I think I can play it that night, but I can't.

Reknoc

I didn't even know it existed until about a week ago when my brother in law pointed me to the trailer.

It's not so much spoilers that bother me, it's the 'woohoo!... ....aaah bugger' moment when I think I can play it that night, but I can't.

I've had it since Christmas but I'm too much of a wuss to play it. Had Amnesia for over a year and still haven't played that.

Son Of D

Oh dear.

I'm Ok down here. It's horrible down here though. All trains cancelled until Friday (although I think it will be longer than that due to how it is), the seafront is blocked off at the moment for good reason. Hope that we've seen the worst already.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Heeey, that's where I went on my honeymoon. It's bloody marvellous.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Congratulations! That's exciting.

NinjaBoiX

Morning you sexy fucks. I slept like a heavily sedated baby last night, I feel mint today!

Finished Pacific Rim last night, lots of fun even if there were a few inconsistencies. Decent popcorn action flick, despite Charlie Hunnam being shit. Elba made up for it though, so boss. The Japanese girl was rather fine too.
Feeling pretty good today as I booked my honeymoon yesterday. 2 weeks in the Maldives in a very typically honeymoon setting.
Excellent!
Feeling pretty chipper on this Wednesday morning. Missus had a 4D scan yesterday and the baby looks just like me! go Smoky genes!
Splendid!
Just read the OP and damn Rachel Riley is a hottie.
Indeed!
RBF and LTJ gig tonight.
Who and who Shorty? Come on man, we need a frame of reference for acronyms!

I'm going to start watching Adventure Time tonight, I've been watching YouTube clips this morning, it looks like fun! Transhuman is going to Dropbox me season 1, yiss.

NXKV4.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm going to start watching Adventure Time tonight, I've been watching YouTube clips this morning, it looks like fun! Transhuman is going to Dropbox me season 1, yiss.

NXKV4.gif

Have you got either netflix, cartoon network or a tivo box? It's on CN all the time, I had to stop series linking it because there was too much to watch even. And the first season is up on the Netflix.

Prob my favourite cartoon of the 21st century. It has heart oozing from every pore.

NinjaBoiX

I have Cartoon Network on our sky package, but I'd rather watch it upstairs in my room TBH. I think it would clash with all the football and cooking shows downstairs. Plus, I can imagine Lee twisting his face at me watching a "kids show".

If it's on Netflix I'll just watch it on my PS3. Sweet!

Edit: @ shorty - haha, I assumed they'd be fairly well known with you using acronyms, I was sitting trying to work it out. I'm still non the wiser! I'll give them a listen later dude.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know who really gets the raw deal, us bus commuters. All the tubies suddenly taking up our seats and not even one apology for the disruption to our service. :mad:((((((

But you shouldn't just blame TFL, RMT and TSSA unions have to take some of the blame since they are the ones striking.

Blink Me

Last night was fun didnt realise reel big fish were playing that night as i walked past the o2 areana. The tickets were sold out so i stood by one of the fire exits listening to the show when someone came out the fire exit leavibg the door wide open. So i casually walked in and saw the last half hour of the show. They did a cover of self esteem by offspring which was awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom