• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ARcTIs7.gif

Your move England. Show us what you got!

The Pound Sterling

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The worst is picking up a Crunchie and finding it has little to no honeycomb inside. Fuck that shit.

Never had that. That would be weird.

When I was a child I used to ask my mum to buy me crunchies just so I could break them in half and look at the pretty honeycomb.

Mikeside

Andy gets Aubrey Plaza though. But Ron gets Lucy Lawless... The scales are quite evenly balanced, hmmmm.

Ellie is always telling me I'm like Andy, I don't know if that's good or not.

Being Andy is a good thing. I can see it for you.

If I'm honest, I see myself as more of a Ben than anyone. I'm OK with that.

I just watched the opening statements from the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate.

I don't know if I'll bother watching the rest. Creationists just make me angry.

8bit

Knows the Score
Can't stand Kit-Kats, but I'd love to try one that was just chocolate.

Might nip to Sainsbury's and empty their shelves. It'll be like looking for a golden ticket.

I've had one of them, it's weirdly unexpected but not a bad thing. A friend once described that scenario as the equivalent of finding out you've copped off with a ladyboy but I think secretly he was on both teams.

SKINNER!

Banned
Who know what brings my piss to a boil? Being rejected for a job because you're overqualifed. "Sorry Mr Smith, we strongly believe that you are incapable of stacking shelves and using a cash till becuase you have a phd in quantum physics. We do not believe you'd be appropriate for the role".

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
can somebody with a mac please convert a pages file into a word friendly document for me? I left my mac with my dad and need to convert on old piece of coursework my assessor cant open

Symphonia

Banned
Who know what brings my piss to a boil? Being rejected for a job because you're overqualifed. "Sorry Mr Smith, we strongly believe that you are incapable of stacking shelves and using a cash till becuase you have a phd in quantum physics. We do not believe you'd be appropriate for the role".
Aye, the email pretty much said I'm too smart for the role. Fair enough, going from working at a legal firm to baking sausage rolls is a downgrade but why refuse people a job on that basis alone? It's ridiculous and really demoralising.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I think this really means "if you work here longer than a month you are going to become incredibly depressed and/or violently angry"

I get that sometimes you just need a job and money quickly, but there's a reason mostly idiots work at those places, anyone with half a brain would become bitter and twisted quicksharp. I worked at Iceland for 3 years. I KNOW.

Blink Me

I think this really means "if you work here longer than a month you are going to become incredibly depressed and/or violently angry"

I get that sometimes you just need a job and money quickly, but there's a reason mostly idiots work at those places, anyone with half a brain would become bitter and twisted quicksharp. I worked at Iceland for 3 years. I KNOW.

Yeah I worked at Sainsburys for a year and that's where I learnt I hated the general public. Especially old people. And people in vests who don't wash for weeks in the middle of summer. They put me on basket tills as well just to make sure I'd get the real arseholes. So I became one.

I just watched the opening statements from the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate.

I don't know if I'll bother watching the rest. Creationists just make me angry.

I watched the first two thirds a week ago. I think I've had enough time apart from Ham to be able to watch the rest!

His argument is fantastic. You weren't there to observe evolution Nye, so it didn't happen! This bible passage tells us what happened in the first seven days of the world, written by someone who wasn't there to observe it! Still, no matter, these scientists believe it, so it must be true!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I watched the first two thirds a week ago. I think I've had enough time apart from Ham to be able to watch the rest!

His argument is fantastic. You weren't there to observe evolution Nye, so it didn't happen! This bible passage tells us what happened in the first seven days of the world, written by someone who wasn't there to observe it! Still, no matter, these scientists believe it, so it must be true!

Don't bother with it. Creationists like Ham are just frauds exploiting idiots for wealth and fame. Fuck those guys.

The reason companies will not employ you if they think you're over qualified is because they know you won't be in it for the long haul, they realise it's probably just a stop gap for you until you find something better. They don't want to have to go through the whole process of hiring someone again when you eventually move on, so they look for someone who they think will stay put for a while.

If you really want to work somewhere like Greggs as a long term career then I would advise maybe removing some qualifications/experience from your CV, and in the interview really lay it on think about how you're looking for a long term career in bakeries.

Rich!

The reason companies will not employ you if they think you're over qualified is because they know you won't be in it for the long haul, they realise it's probably just a stop gap for you until you find something better. They don't want to have to go through the whole process of hiring someone again when you eventually move on, so they look for someone who they think will stay put for a while.

If you really want to work somewhere like Greggs as a long term career then I would advise maybe removing some qualifications/experience from your CV, and in the interview really lay it on think about how you're looking for a long term career in bakeries.

This is correct - I had to turn away many applicants from my old stores for this reason.

SteveWD40

Nail, meet head.

It costs money to hire, even if they don't use and agency (and most do), if they do then the agency gets about 20% of your year one salary upfront.

Then training, setting you up on the payroll, contracts, legal etc...

I got turned down for a job testing games once, I was on £50k previously (2005) but bored, went for this job seeing it as a way into a better industry, on £16k. They said "you won't fit in", mainly as the rest of the QA team were anti social 17 year olds.

It was for the best as it wouldn't have led anywhere, but at the time it was like "what the fuck???".

Don't bother with it. Creationists like Ham are just frauds exploiting idiots for wealth and fame. Fuck those guys.

Are you kidding? I love watching people make fools of themselves!

That's why seasonal work is great. The nature of a temporary contract means companies are more flexible in taking on overqualified workers, as the applicant will usually need to give assurances they'll be around for a few months to fulfill it. That was probably the main reason I got the job I currently have, along with most of the other applicants from the job centre failing at the most basic of things. Outside of Christmas or Summer jobs though it's got to be hard to nail a part time job down.

Symphonia

Banned

To be fair, it IS short-term until I find something better.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
To be fair, it IS short-term until I find something better.

shhhh keep it under your hat. On your next application for where it asks why you want to work at Greggs lie and say:

I have a long medical history of dry, flaky skin. I want to work at Greggs because of the positive impact this will have on my complexion, naturally and organically replacing the much needed oils my skin sorely lacks.

Also, I have next to no personal ambition and want a job where my soul will whither away in inverse proportion to how massive my arse gets.​

They won't be able to resist it.

edit: make sure you fuck with the spelling and grammar though. I recommend spelling 'complexion' as 'compekshun'

SmokyDave

BGBW, get your minions under control. If I can't see the NPD numbers tonight because some kids are flipping their shit over another Mario game, there's going to be trouble.

Well, I'll just tut and go to bed, but inside I'll be a whirling maelstrom of hatred.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
BGBW, get your minions under control. If I can't see the NPD numbers tonight because some kids are flipping their shit over another Mario game, there's going to be trouble.

Well, I'll just tut and go to bed, but inside I'll be a whirling maelstrom of hatred.

You're both Untermenschen of a different stripe. I hope GAF goes down and neither of you can get your fix. muhahahahaha

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dave, you know GAF is dead tonight. Good or bad, that Direct is going to kill GAF. But goddamn, that thread is just an excuse to post stupid gifs.

SmokyDave

You're both Untermenschen of a different stripe. I hope GAF goes down and neither of you can get your fix. muhahahahaha
You're a monster Jedeye. A cold, callous monster.

Dave, you know GAF is dead tonight. Good or bad, that Direct is going to kill GAF. But goddamn, that thread is just an excuse to post stupid gifs.
I guess I can wait until tomorrow to see what I expect to be the worst month for the Vita in history.

That thread though. My goodness. Where memes and block caps go to die.

Son Of D

Isn't that all direct threads? I mean excitement is a good thing but fuck, talk about taking it to a new level.

Gaming side gets a bit overwhelming at times like this.

That said, I won't deny that I'm eager to see possible Bayonetta 2 updates.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Isn't that all direct threads? I mean excitement is a good thing but fuck, talk about taking it to a new level.

Gaming side gets a bit overwhelming at times like this.

This one is extra bad because its been so long since the last one.

You can't argue with people who don't have any logic, I learnt that when I used to try debating a pagan friend of mine.

You also can't change someone's mind if they're not open to it being changed. I think that's the problem with a lot of fundamentalist Christians in America, they just put their fingers in their ears and go "lalalalalalala God did it God did it lalalalalalalala". If someone isn't willing to consider the possibility that they may be wrong then no amount of logic, common sense or scientific proof is going to do any good.

Also, people are stupid, and science can be quite hard, and people don't really understand it.

Because of where my shop is I get all the hipster students and the office plebs.

Nothing worse.

I'm an office pleb :(

NinjaBoiX

I quite enjoyed working in a call centre to be fair. You got to wear your own decent clobber instead of a shitty uniform, you had actual facilities for making something to eat, there was people your own age to have a bit craic with and plenty of eye candy walking around.

I can't say any of that about my current job. It has it's perks don't get me wrong, but it's a pretty lonely existence driving around all day on your own.

I want to get back into construction when I go down to Manchester, at least I'll have some company!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I quite enjoyed working in a call centre to be fair. You got to wear your own decent clobber instead of a shitty uniform, you had actual facilities for making something to eat, there was people your own age to have a bit craic with and plenty of eye candy walking around.

I can't say any of that about my current job. It has it's perks don't get me wrong, but it's a pretty lonely existence driving around all day on your own.

I want to get back into construction when I go down to Manchester, at least I'll have some company!

So are you joining Manc GAF then? Woo!

Son Of D

I think I'd rather work in an office over retail. Sure to some it's the lesser of two evils, but I really didn't like my time in retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom