• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

I do yeah, it was the only game I had for a while so I platinumed it. It was long. Are you saying that Tomb Raider is poo and Golden Abyss is better?

basically yes. Though GA isn't even the worst Uncharted, terrible gimmicks aside, its still better than U3

SmokyDave

New Tomb Raider ain't poo, it's fucking great. All the Uncharted games are great too.

Can't wait to see Uncharted PS4. That shit should look mental.

Reknoc

Uncharted PS4 will be the game that will force me to get a PS4 if I don't get one for MGS5.

Tomb Raider is a mediocre shooter in an ocean of mediocre shooters though, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't wearing the rotted skin of a different franchise.

bonus: better than Tomb Raider

SmokyDave

Uncharted PS4 will be the game that will force me to get a PS4 if I don't get one for MGS5.

Tomb Raider is a mediocre shooter in an ocean of mediocre shooters though, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't wearing the rotted skin of a different franchise.

bonus: better than Tomb Raider
You crazy. What did you find mediocre?

I picked it up for PS4 and played it through over a weekend, lovin' every minute. The gunplay was great fun (and the guns sound mean as fuck), the traversal stuff was cool, the upgrades were varied and useful. The story was kinda bollocks, but who cares about story outside of Naughty Dog games?

NinjaBoiX

New Tomb Raider ain't poo, it's fucking great. All the Uncharted games are great too.

Can't wait to see Uncharted PS4. That shit should look mental.
Yup, I haven't finished Tomb Raider yet, but I'm thoroughly impressed. And it's not a mediocre shooter at all, I found the aiming to be perfectly weighted and the audio/visual feedback very satisfying.

Also, although I agree that U3 is my least favourite of the 4, it's still an Uncharted game and still rather fantastic. You'd have to be particularly jaded to call it "terrible" IMO.

Such vitriol Reknoc! Next time you play a game, try and think of three things you like about it. Report back with your findings.

:p

Edit: you were referring to the touchscreen gimmicks in GA as terrible, my bad.

SKINNER!

Banned
Really want to play that Uncharted game on the Vita :(

MGS5, Uncharted and Resogun are my reasons to get a PS4

Although, my friends are slowly enticing me to lean towards the Xbox One side. Killer Instinct is pretty good and that Ground Zereos Raiden exclusive interests me.

Reknoc

Okay yea, I don't think U3 is terrible, just the worst out of the bunch due to its gunplay which feels off no matter what option I choose and the encounters that aren't nearly as well designed as they were in U2. I really like the games bigger focus on traversal, varied levels and puzzles.

Tomb Raider for me just didn't feel good at all, I think there's something wrong with any game when I can set it to hard and still breeze through it like I was playing on easy, since I'm not the best gamer out there. I will admit some bias to Tomb Raider because I'm a huge fan of the originals and Crystal Dynamics last trilogy. I wanted Tomb Raider I didn't want X-23s romp through a tropical island.

edit: and not to hold the hyperbole but Tomb Raider to me is as indicative to console AAA snoozefests as Dungeon Keeper is to iOS games.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Tbh I'm gonna get it anyway because I need something to play on it (apart from GOTY Resogun) and Infamous doesn't really appeal to me.

Edit: that's what worries me about it, the difficulty level. I need games to be Ninja Gaiden hard or I just whizz through them.

jimbor

Banned
About to start The Last of Us. Sticking it on hard, hope it's not too hard. Spec Ops has scarred me on high difficulties.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh I'm gonna get it anyway because I need something to play on it (apart from GOTY Resogun) and Infamous doesn't really appeal to me.

Edit: that's what worries me about it, the difficulty level. I need games to be Ninja Gaiden hard or I just whizz through them.

If only Dark Souls was available on the PS4. You'd love it.

SmokyDave

Okay yea, I don't think U3 is terrible, just the worst out of the bunch due to its gunplay which feels off no matter what option I choose and the encounters that aren't nearly as well designed as they were in U2. I really like the games bigger focus on traversal, varied levels and puzzles.

Tomb Raider for me just didn't feel good at all, I think there's something wrong with any game when I can set it to hard and still breeze through it like I was playing on easy, since I'm not the best gamer out there. I will admit some bias to Tomb Raider because I'm a huge fan of the originals and Crystal Dynamics last trilogy. I wanted Tomb Raider I didn't want X-23s romp through a tropical island.

edit: and not to hold the hyperbole but Tomb Raider to me is as indicative to console AAA snoozefests as Dungeon Keeper is to iOS games.
Eh, fair enough, to each his own. I really enjoyed storming around the island like some badass she-warrior. I intend to go back and collect all the trinkets 'n' shit at some point.

Reknoc

yea you're not going to get that (from, well, any game really lol) it's easy from the go and get's easier as you upgrade your weapons. Dunno if there's any super hard difficulty since I had more than enough after finishing it other than to play a couple of MP matches (which was surprisingly okay)

NinjaBoiX

I love MGS 1 and the tanker section from MGS 2. You can stick the rest of that clusterfuck of a franchise up your arse though.

The rest of 2 was a series of dull orange hexagons interspersed with nonsensical jibberish about nanomachines and some such nonsense, 4 had stiff, stilted controls, robotic animations from 10 years ago, laughable sound effects and those tedious, loquacious cut scenes that just went on forever. I haven't played 3 but I've seen my mate play most of it. Meh.

dat vitriol

;)

I'm agreed on the encounters in U3 though Reknoc, a few times enemies literally just appeared out of thin air. It didn't help that they screwed the pooch with the aiming. It was a bit floaty in U1, nigh on perfect in U2, then a bit stiff and digital in U3. Aiming with the sticks and gyro on GA was glorious though, a little tilt of the Vita to score a headshot felt awesome!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
...You can stick the rest of that clusterfuck of a franchise up your arse though...

....I haven't played 3 but I've seen my mate play most of it. Meh....

7DTly.gif

Reknoc

I love MGS 1 and the tanker section from MGS 2. You can stick the rest of that clusterfuck of a franchise up your arse though.

The rest of 2 was a series of dull orange hexagons interspersed with nonsensical jibberish about nanomachines and some such nonsense, 4 had stiff, stilted controls, robotic animations from 10 years ago, laughable sound effects and those tedious, loquacious cut scenes that just went on forever. I haven't played 3 but I've seen my mate play most of it. Meh.

dat vitriol

;)

I'm agreed on the encounters in U3 though Reknoc, a few times enemies literally just appeared out of thin air. It didn't help that they screwed the pooch with the aiming. It was a bit floaty in U1, nigh on perfect in U2, then a bit stiff and digital in U3. Aiming with the sticks and gyro on GA was glorious though, a little tilt of the Vita to score a headshot felt awesome!

U3 was the game I wanted U2 to be before I played U2. It felt like it tried to expand more on what U1 was lacking outside of combat (traversal and puzzles) but not really improving the combat. But U2 had already happened and was pretty much perfect in every area.

Never used Gyro aiming in GA, or any game as it makes me feel a little nauseous and that show I can't hold anything still. The implementation of the touch screen gimmicks were kinda neat but relied on too heavily (one chapter literally has you pressing the screen like a maniac to get the treasures). My only other problem with it was the story, Nate was just, way too angry like all of the time.

as for MGS, 3 is still the pinnacle of the franchise with Peace Walker a close 2nd.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
If only Dark Souls was available on the PS4. You'd love it.

I know. That's the thing when you're about 70 years old and grew up with really hard games. Nowadays it's almost a given that every player can see a game through to the end. In my day, if you finished a game you were lucky! Eee, I don't know. Youth of today and all these modern games telling ye where to go and what to do all the time.

I know. That's the thing when you're about 70 years old and grew up with really hard games. Nowadays it's almost a given that every player can see a game through to the end. In my day, if you finished a game you were lucky! Eee, I don't know. Youth of today and all these modern games telling ye where to go and what to do all the time.

Granny Sploat sets the record straight.

Reknoc

My favourite thing was when games' easy mode was a trial mode and levels wouldn't be available unless you played it on a harder a difficulty and if you completed it on easy instead of a proper ending you'd get a screen basically telling you to stop being shit and play on a proper difficulty level.

NinjaBoiX

About to start The Last of Us. Sticking it on hard, hope it's not too hard. Spec Ops has scarred me on high difficulties.
It's so so good mate. The music, the dialogue, the art, the way the gameplay is so perfectly in sync with the storytelling, it's just amazing. Best cut scenes I've ever seen too. The opening will bring a lump to your throat mane and the final seconds before it cuts to black is one of the most sure footed and confident endings to a game you'll come across.

Massive ending spoiler breh:

The look on Ellie's face as she processes Joel's lie says more than a thousand words. Her eyes darting around awkwardly, the disappointed, resigned inflection as she says "OK", flawless. Naughty Gods indeed.

I dunno about hard mode though, I struggled a bit on normal. But anyone who has played online with me knows that I suck at it, so maybe it was just me.
Haha, love that gif. Everyone says MGS3 is the best one to be fair, maybe it can turn me on the franchise. But I just despised 4, I really did. Awful, clunky, disjointed mess of a game IMO.

Splinter Cell fo lyfe tho. It's just much more fun to play for me.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, love that gif. Everyone says MGS3 is the best one to be fair, maybe it can turn me on the franchise. But I just despised 4, I really did. Awful, clunky, disjointed mess of a game IMO.

Ah, I can't stay mad at you, mane.

We really need to do some SC Co-op one night... If only I could tear myself away from DS.

Reknoc

Yea, don't let 4 colour your perspective on any of the other games as 4 is by and far the worst in the entire franchise. Only good thing it did was have MGO packaged in with it and that's dead now.

I can agree with Splinter Cell though (1-3 at least, DA was eehh and Conviction was just straight up garbage), can't hate a stealth game that takes its mechanics from Thief.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still kind of want to play 4 even if it bad just so I can say I experienced it.

Same with Other M.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, don't let 4 colour your perspective on any of the other games as 4 is by and far the worst in the entire franchise. Only good thing it did was have MGO packaged in with it and that's dead now.

I can agree with Splinter Cell though (1-3 at least, DA was eehh and Conviction was just straight up garbage), can't hate a stealth game that takes its mechanics from Thief.

Blacklist is a return to form. Give it a shot. Last third of the game is full of bad decisions, but Grim's side missions are three of the best SC levels I ever played.

Also? Loved MGO2. I used to just stun people. Last count was 20,000 stuns and 0 kills. XD

NinjaBoiX

Ah, I can't stay mad at you, mane.

We really need to do some SC Co-op one night... If only I could tear myself away from DS.
Yeah mate, we've been meaning to for ages innit. I'll have my people talk to your people.

I actually appreciated MGO, I thought it was clever. The mode where one of you was Snake was good fun. And I enjoy the recent SC's, even though there are basically action games with the opportunity for stealth rather than straight up stealth games.

Reknoc

Blacklist is a return to form. Give it a shot. Last third of the game is full of bad decisions, but Grim's side missions are three of the best SC levels I ever played.

Also? Loved MGO2. I used to just stun people. Last count was 20,000 stuns and 0 kills. XD

yea i wanna try blacklist but my uplay account was stolen and i kinda cba to call ubisoft to get it sorted.

Yeah mate, we've been meaning to for ages innit. I'll have my people talk to your people.

I actually appreciated MGO, I thought it was clever. The mode where one of you was Snake was good fun. And I enjoy the recent SC's, even though there are basically action games with the opportunity for stealth rather than straight up stealth games.

yesssss, that mode owned. Dunno if anyone played the Escape from Butcher Bay port, but the MP on that had a similar mode where one person was Riddick, pretty fun.

It's so so good mate. The music, the dialogue, the art, the way the gameplay is so perfectly in sync with the storytelling, it's just amazing. Best cut scenes I've ever seen too. The opening will bring a lump to your throat mane and the final seconds before it cuts to black is one of the most sure footed and confident endings to a game you'll come across.

I dunno about hard mode though, I struggled a bit on normal. But anyone who has played online with me knows that I suck at it, so maybe it was just me.

Just started it myself the other day, absolutely fantastic so far. The opening was definitely brutal, and I was astounded that I cared so much after so little time!

I've gone with normal difficultly like with the Uncharted games to learn the mechanics and follow the story. On subsequent play throughs I'll step up the difficulty! I hope ND brings some of the ideas to the next Uncharted too- smaller encounters, options for stealth, and less death by the dozen.

8bit

Knows the Score

It's not that bad, I've played and completed it on Survivor. I don't think it's all that much difficult, but there are far fewer resources and pretty much every bullet needs to count.

Same with Other M.

That, that is not a good use of your time. Also, it's buggy.

SmokyDave

All I'm saying about The Last Of Us is that it deserves all the praise and awards it got, and then some more. The DLC is fantastic too.

Son Of D

I've still got to start Last of Us, but I think I'll go through Dead Space first. Or maybe Demon's Souls.

On a different note, my English course starts next Friday. If all goes well, this will get me the final qualification needed for Uni.

Mikeside

I've still got to start Last of Us, but I think I'll go through Dead Space first. Or maybe Demon's Souls.

On a different note, my English course starts next Friday. If all goes well, this will get me the final qualification needed for Uni.

Keep me posted on how you like Dead Space. I think I'll enjoy hearing fresh impressions of it.

My todo list (when I actually get time):
FF XII
TLoU
AC IV

Unfortunately I've just been playing Rayman: Legends, Rayman: Fiesta Run and Banished whenever I actually have time to play anything lately

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Keep me posted on how you like Dead Space. I think I'll enjoy hearing fresh impressions of it.

My todo list (when I actually get time):
FF XII
TLoU
AC IV

Unfortunately I've just been playing Rayman: Legends, Rayman: Fiesta Run and Banished whenever I actually have time to play anything lately

Bump TLOU up to the top! FF is FF and AC is just more AC. TLOU is something special.

Rayman Fiesta Run is badass though, I spent hours on that. It made me buy Legends it's so good.

Mikeside

Bump TLOU up to the top! FF is FF and AC is just more AC. TLOU is something special.

Rayman Fiesta Run is badass though, I spent hours on that. It made me buy Legends it's so good.

But FF XII is on my laptop, so I can play it wherever and AC IV is on my PS4, which I take with me places.

My lowly PS3 is just waiting for me at home most of the time.

Maybe I'll play a little on Saturday.

Gig tonight, motherfucker!

PrematureQuiche is coming :D

So I'm bringing:

Musha, Quiche, Z, Kev, and maybe a general gathering of friends who have been vaguely interested.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
But FF XII is on my laptop, so I can play it wherever and AC IV is on my PS4, which I take with me places.

My lowly PS3 is just waiting for me at home most of the time.

Maybe I'll play a little on Saturday.

Gig tonight, motherfucker!

PrematureQuiche is coming :D

So I'm bringing:

Musha, Quiche, Z, Kev, and maybe a general gathering of friends who have been vaguely interested.

Niiiiice! It's a fairly late start tonight so we'll be getting there for about 7.30ish. See you then :)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
AC IV Is dreadful shit, I have just posted it away to gamexchange for a copy of GHOST.

Fucking AC4, The combat is piss easy and the platforming is pretty much automated. The entire game is just packed with content for the sake of it with the amount of depth as a puddle. What a fucking mess, Ubisoft should just stick to making rainbow six games and stop trying other things.

Only decent thing about the shallow experience is the pirates singing on the boat.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
AC IV Is dreadful shit, I have just posted it away to gamexchange for a copy of GHOST.

Fucking AC4, The combat is piss easy and the platforming is pretty much automated. The entire game is just packed with content for the sake of it with the amount of depth as a puddle. What a fucking mess, Ubisoft should just stick to making rainbow six games and stop trying other things.

I enjoyed the ship stuff but apart from that you're right. What's the point of all that stuff to collect when there's no challenge or obstacles? It's so padded with junk.

8bit

Knows the Score
I really enjoyed ACIV, which was surprising as Batman Arkham Begins & GTAV were so disappointing and I was expecting another play by numbers experience. After the largely boring ACIII it got down to action quickly and with some gusto.

It did grind somewhat by the end though.

SmokyDave

I enjoyed the sailing and sea combat in AC4. Everything else was shit, especially the constant tailing / eavesdropping crap.

Good to see you, KP.

SKINNER!

Banned
Personally, I think Ubisoft jumped the shark with appealing to the Jack Sparrow audience but I did play a bit of it and it was alright.

Having never played an Assassin's Creed before, I don't know what to make of Black Flag.

It just seems like such a clusterfuck, I'm still in that first town (is it Havana?). I don't like the way you move, the parkour seems very automated so I keep accidentally climbing fences when I just want to run down the road.

When do i get to be a pirate?

EDIT

Also, on topic with shameful gaming stats, I have 28 days worth of play time on CoD Black Ops. That's like, an entire february of my life. I've only experienced 23 Februaries in my life. So I've spent the equivelant of 1/23 of my Februaries of my life on Black Ops.

8bit

Knows the Score
Having never played an Assassin's Creed before, I don't know what to make of Black Flag.

It just seems like such a clusterfuck, I'm still in that first town (is it Havana?). I don't like the way you move, the parkour seems very automated so I keep accidentally climbing fences when I just want to run down the road.

When do i get to be a pirate?

Soon. The movement & parkour are part of AC though. A mystical order of secretive Assassins who can't run past fences without leaping at them when not falling off roofs.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I like St Vincent in theory but something about the music stresses me out, I can't get into it. Speaking of, one of my friends was stood next to Carrie Brownstein at a SV gig last night, lucky bugger. He didn't even say hi, wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom