• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Hate those days when you are expecting a package and you know the chances of it arriving are slim to none, but no matter what you still refresh the order tracker in hope it might say that it's gonna come soon

Aslong as it arrives tomorrow I won't cry

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well, today was shit.

willy-wonka-wilder-300x300.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well that's sad but there's no need to be oblique about it. Vagueness is annoying. It either prompts a question or floats in the air. Say what you're saying or don't.

SteveWD40

I am fucking loving being back in the office environment, especially since they are under the impression I know what I am doing.

Nice offices, chill about timekeeping, 20 min walk to work, lots of cool shit nearby, good team, MONEY.

Never thought I would be so cool with it after 4 years being a one man band, I even like my MD :O

Nice one Ninj.

And before everyone starts getting their pants in a twist, I'll arrange a mini meet for last weekend in April/first weekend in May.

Camping was end of May right?

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
1024x768.resizedimage

DayZ with Jordan was most eventful, at one point he was executed by a gang with a bag over his head, I killed a fresh spawn who snuck up on me, then attempted to mug him but i'd already ruined all of his gear and crippled him so he asked me to execute him which took a long time with a machete oddly.

I was executed by a gang of bandits and we got lost in the woods for like an hour in the dark

Much fun, much to be learnt...but 3 hours well spent

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Was debating it but went for the N5. Battery is dogshit on the N5.

G2 going for £300 and £5 postage on Amazon. Think I might go for it. The audio is cutting on during phonecalls on my S2 and it's starting to show its age. I want the Z1 Compact but its £400.

Rich!

work is fun

on a different contract now - 340 people having their jobs cut this month, 300 or so from my contract being removed/fired to make room for them

luckily I'm the best there is, so my job is safe. hooray?

chunk3rvd

Just wondering if any of BritGAF can advise me on this one - if I wanted to make some noise to Challenge TV about one of their presenters being an absolute bellend on social media, whats the best way to do that? The website doesn't list any e-mail addresses or anything. Is Facebook and Twitter the best sort of avenue for these things now?

To explain - I'm not trying to cost someone their job because they owned me in an argument on the internet. All I've done is told the guy to walk away from it but he has spent the entire evening acting like an unprofessional clown and I don't think it deserves to go unnoticed!

jimbor

Banned
Just wondering if any of BritGAF can advise me on this one - if I wanted to make some noise to Challenge TV about one of their presenters being an absolute bellend on social media, whats the best way to do that? The website doesn't list any e-mail addresses or anything. Is Facebook and Twitter the best sort of avenue for these things now?

To explain - I'm not trying to cost someone their job because they owned me in an argument on the internet. All I've done is told the guy to walk away from it but he has spent the entire evening acting like an unprofessional clown and I don't think it deserves to go unnoticed!

Sounds like you need to walk away, brah.

Symphonia

Banned

Tread lightly, friend.

chunk3rvd

Haha (Edit: removed BB gif as I'd hate to spoil things for someone!)

I know it probably seems stupid and petty. The guy's a radio presenter that made facetious remarks about someone who broke their neck on Saturday night then promptly deleted them when he was called out for being a tit. He's then spent all of today calling the viewers of his show that are unhappy virgins, losers etc. Just think it's really unprofessional and in this day and age people should be brought to task for being a prick if they choose to live there life as a public figure (even if he is a nobody)

NinjaBoiX

Bellends like that thrive on angry reactions though, you're playing right into his hands. Not to sound like a parent imparting worldly wisdom to a child, but just ignore him man.

chunk3rvd

Bellends like that thrive on angry reactions though, you're playing right into his hands. Not to sound like a parent imparting worldly wisdom to a child, but just ignore him man.

Like I said - I haven't been reacting to or arguing with him. I've been telling him to be a bigger man and walk away before he does some damage to his career. The guy refuses to listen though. You're all right though - you know what they say about arguments on the internet being like the special olympics!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does Challenge TV have their own general Twitter. If I want to get something off my chest I sometimes post a non direct complaint about a company, lets say TFL, but I make sure to include their @Twitter name for the mention e.g.

"You'd think @TFL would have a way of remotely knowing which of their live update bus stop displays were functioning"

Since I mentioned them it appears in their feed but because I'm not saying it directly to their face it comes off as harmless.

So for you it could be:

"Gee, some of those presenters on @ChallengeTV like "Blocko" sure could use a chill pill."

See. I used their @Twitter name but made sure not to use the bloke's because I don't want him to see it in his feed. That's smart thinking.

chunk3rvd

Cheers dude. Have voiced my opinions to his employers in both TV and radio. Don't think it's cool referring to people as retards and I hope his employer thinks the same!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I am fucking loving being back in the office environment, especially since they are under the impression I know what I am doing.

Nice offices, chill about timekeeping, 20 min walk to work, lots of cool shit nearby, good team, MONEY.

Never thought I would be so cool with it after 4 years being a one man band, I even like my MD :O

"Chill about timekeeping" is the world's greatest thing in an office. Get that, get a job you'll never leave.

Haha (Edit: removed BB gif as I'd hate to spoil things for someone!)

I know it probably seems stupid and petty. The guy's a radio presenter that made facetious remarks about someone who broke their neck on Saturday night then promptly deleted them when he was called out for being a tit. He's then spent all of today calling the viewers of his show that are unhappy virgins, losers etc. Just think it's really unprofessional and in this day and age people should be brought to task for being a prick if they choose to live there life as a public figure (even if he is a nobody)

To be fair, I think Challenge viewers should be mocked and castigated. It's a great incentive to do something more productive with your time.

//morning cuntiness

Mikeside

Like I said - I haven't been reacting to or arguing with him. I've been telling him to be a bigger man and walk away before he does some damage to his career. The guy refuses to listen though. You're all right though - you know what they say about arguments on the internet being like the special olympics!

What do they say?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I'm doing more 'crazy bullshit' research while it's quiet at work, currently reading up on the Dulce War in 1979 which is a very interesting piece of lore. But that's not what I'm here for, look at this page - http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?read=150577

Look at the adverts on the page. They're amazing. The conspiracy community is this weird bubble of terrible terrible graphic design trying to sell crazy bullshit to mental people. It's wonderful.

So I'm doing more 'crazy bullshit' research while it's quiet at work, currently reading up on the Dulce War in 1979 which is a very interesting piece of lore. But that's not what I'm here for, look at this page - http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?read=150577

Look at the adverts on the page. They're amazing. The conspiracy community is this weird bubble of terrible terrible graphic design trying to sell crazy bullshit to mental people. It's wonderful.

Don't act like you're not part of that community Jed

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Crazy. I love this stuff.

SKINNER!

Banned
Jeds, Is there a Parachute for Gordo gig this weekend?

Will be in London this weekend for a weekend birthday trip with a friend. Hopefully see if I can catch up with some you lovely cunts if I got a spare few hours.

Also, got a shot of my friend's Ibanez bass (With Hyper strings or something like that he mentioned) during the weekend. I soooooooo want one so badly. For years I thought I couldn't slap bass and it was because of my shitty bass guitar. I was slapping my friend's bass like a pro and it sounded sweeeet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Don't act like you're not part of that community Jed

Give it another month and I'll be a card carrying loony making banner ads on MS Paint for my multipart series about alien mind control.

Will be in London this weekend for a weekend birthday trip with a friend. Hopefully see if I can catch up with some you lovely cunts if I got a spare few hours.

Also, got a shot of my friend's Ibanez bass during the weekend. I soooooooo want one so badly. For years I thought I couldn't slap bass and it was because of my shitty bass guitar. I was slapping my friend's bass like a pro and it sounded sweeeet.

Nah man I'm afraid not :( we've not even got practice (secret recording session shhhhh) otherwise I'd invite you down for the afternoon.

edit: I have an ibanez bass although it's not too slick. It is my one-and-only-forever-till-I-break-it bass though, I love it. Nice thin neck, low action... it's beautiful

Sonic Youth - The World Looks Red

A gentleman is someone who knows how to play slap bass... and doesn't. :)

This made me chuckle :) I've never been able to play slap at all. I think I'm missing something in my brain. I can't tell if I don't like it because it sounds bad, or if I don't like it because I can't do it. Prolly the latter.

Mikeside

Also, got a shot of my friend's Ibanez bass (With Hyper strings or something like that he mentioned) during the weekend. I soooooooo want one so badly. For years I thought I couldn't slap bass and it was because of my shitty bass guitar. I was slapping my friend's bass like a pro and it sounded sweeeet.

When over the weekend? I'll probably be in Swindon but i may be in Whitechapel for a bit...

SKINNER!

Banned
A gentleman is someone who knows how to play slap bass... and doesn't. :)

Do agree that slap is ovverated as hell but knowing other techniques like slap, tap, pluck, using thumb alongside 2,3 fingers etc differentiats the great bassists from the "I don't know how to drum, sing or chords so I got lobbed with the bass and told to play 3 notes over and over" ones ;)

Also, no picks...never...ever...Not even for fast tracks...never!...except if your name is Jason Newsted...because he's da man.

Nah man I'm afraid not :( we've not even got practice (secret recording session shhhhh) otherwise I'd invite you down for the afternoon.

edit: I have an ibanez bass although it's not too slick. It is my one-and-only-forever-till-I-break-it bass though, I love it. Nice thin neck, low action... it's beautiful

This made me chuckle :) I've never been able to play slap at all. I think I'm missing something in my brain. I can't tell if I don't like it because it sounds bad, or if I don't like it because I can't do it. Prolly the latter.

Aww gutted mate :( Practise session would've been sweet. Oh well, perhaps next time around eurogamer time if I can pull my finger out and go to that or NFL weekend in October if I'm lucky.

Always had a hard-on for Ibanez. So slick, basic and light.
Not sure why but my guitar just sounds shit, dull and loud whenever I slap and every other time I pluck it never makes that twang sound...probably because the strings are too tight...I dunno. Had my current bass guitar since I was 12/13 that my dad bought me. It's cheap, heavy and ugly but it's so sentimental. Already changed the strings 3 years ago...I could just change them again but maybe I can get a decent second-hand Ibanez from Gumtree or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5yb2H7Fqi8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kendrick Lamar - Ronald Reagan Era
Even if you don't like hip hop give it a try. Honestly. Honest.

vvsOLLA.gif

Section 80 is such a great album. I listen to it more than GKMC.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I think the only slap bass I can listen to without grinding my teeth till they look like broken aspirin is Les Claypool, simply because it is so off the wall. A bass in his hands becomes a goddamn comedy Gamelan orchestra.

Everything else sounds like a Seinfeld establishing shot. I often can't help but cry out into the night: "Oh, George!".

Do agree that slap is ovverated as hell but knowing other techniques like slap, tap, pluck, using thumb alongside 2,3 fingers etc differentiats the great bassists with the "I don't know how to drum, sing or chords so I got lobbed with the bass and told to play 3 notes over and over" ones ;)

Also, no picks...never...ever...Not even for fast tracks...never!...except if your name is Jason Newsted...because he's da man.

Yeah, I can understand that, I'm all for using your instrument in new and exciting ways, it's just slap bass really grinds my gears. My first instrument was bass/double bass and although slap is a great deal of fun to play, it's about as pleasant to listen to as a nine-hour drum solo.

I can't agree with fingers only though. Sometimes you just have to have more attack from the bass and fingers just can't provide that. Newsted is a great example of that, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom