• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"BuNgIe iS a ShElL oF iTs FoRmEr SeLf!"

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Am I misremembering something or was it only a few short weeks ago the entire internet tried to bury Bungie? They were supposedly a shell of their former selves. Their board was certain to be overtaken by Sony leadership. Sony was supposed to sell Bungie at a massive loss because dErP. Weren't the knitting clubs proof of their fall from grace?

Why are those people suddenly quiet? Why do we hear crickets?

77.jpg

Now is the time for atonement. Out yourselves insane people! Out yourselves immediately!

(Concord)

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
Am I misremembering something or was it only a few short weeks ago the entire internet tried to bury Bungie? They were supposedly a shell of their former selves. Their board was certain to be overtaken by Sony leadership. Sony was supposed to sell Bungie at a massive loss because dErP. Weren't the knitting clubs proof of their fall from grace?

77.jpg

Now is the time for atonement. Out yourselves insane people! Out yourselves immediately!

Critics are a joke and you are an even bigger one. Bungie is shit and Destiny is a massive pile of it. This hasn't changed, despite your desperate and sad attempts at shilling GAAS trash.

Develop a spine and stop thinking like a corporate stooge.

Last edited:

Varteras

77.jpg

man-sliding-black-man-sliding.gif

I'm not one of them. I just wanted an excuse to use this.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Critics are a joke and you are an even bigger one. Bungie is shit and Destiny is a massive pile of it. This hasn't changed, despite your desperate and sad attempts at shilling GAAS trash.

I read this in Skelators voice.

The Final Shape makes me your He-Man.

I can't believe they're doubling down on the derp mob vibe. You don't have to stay in the derp mob. Leave and be free!

Guilty_AI

You could've easily avoided the ridicule this post will be bombarded with in the future by just mentioning Concord.
eh, marathon is still in a limbo state. We don't know much about it.

Still, the fact they're using that name is sacrilege. They'll definitely attract the attention of a public they clearly didn't intend to target.

Reactions: Isa

Varteras

You could've easily avoided the ridicule this post will be bombarded with in the future by just mentioning Concord.

I mean, to be honest, I wouldn't even be so bold as to declare anyone a clown for not thinking Concord will flop. I've made my criticisms about the game known. But considering how wrong I've been in the past about the success of live service games (Helldivers 2, League of Legends, Fortnite, Apex, etc) I've at this point learned my lesson. That when it comes to live service, I and most people are poor judges of what will succeed or fail. It's a whole other seemingly unpredictable beast.

nial

This is their first release under Playstation umbrella.

High metascores are a given.

Am sure nothing has changed, game would be about as good as their previous efforts.
Not siding with OP, but you people can't truly help yourselves.

ZehDon

... They were supposedly a shell of their former selves...
They went from redefining the industry with Halo to making a well received GaaS expansion pack... which appears to be the first legitimately well received Destiny 2 expansion in quite a while. That's the same as folks celebrating 343i as the saviours of Halo because Halo Infinite's muiltiplayer beta was actually kinda fun.
... Their board was certain to be overtaken by Sony leadership. Sony was supposed to sell Bungie at a massive loss because dErP...
Can I see the receipts of these? Must have missed those threads.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not siding with OP, but you people can't truly help yourselves.
Oh no, you ARE siding with OP 100%.

That silly (Bungie dEaD) narrative was bizarre back then and it's even more bizarre seeing people double down on it now.

This is some Monty Python Black Knight ****.

Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes Instead of getting upset at you for making a thread like this like I'm sure people will, I'm going to tell you a concern of mine.

I think it's incredibly risky for Bungie to rely solely on online experiences to bolster their portfolio to both publishers and gamers.

This doesn't mean they need to completely abandon online systems, but I feel like they need a game that can be played both online and offline as a choice, for example Granblue Relink (and I don't mean the genre). In saying this, I feel like Marathon deserves a campaign to go along with it's online mode, even if that means some makeshift offline version of it's online mode with cobbled together cutscenes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They went from redefining the industry with Halo to making a well received GaaS expansion pack... which appears to be the first legitimately well received Destiny 2 expansion in quite a while. That's the same as folks celebrating 343i as the saviours of Halo because Halo Infinite's muiltiplayer beta was actually kinda fun.

Can I see the receipts of these? Must have missed those threads.
I don't mean to be a d***, but this is not that thread.

I literally just want to see who doubles down on the fake news narrative and who's mature enough to recalibrate. This is a study of the gAmEr mob personality more than anything.

Guilty_AI

Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes Instead of getting upset at you for making a thread like this like I'm sure people will, I'm going to tell you a concern of mine.

I think it's incredibly risky for Bungie to rely solely on online experiences to bolster their portfolio to both publishers and gamers.

This doesn't mean they need to completely abandon online systems, but I feel like they need a game that can be played both online and offline as a choice, for example Granblue Relink (and I don't mean the genre). In saying this, I feel like Marathon deserves a campaign to go along with it's online mode, even if that means some makeshift offline version of it's online mode with cobbled together cutscenes.
That would genuinely be the only way to attract the actual fans of Marathon to at least try the game.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Constant negativity about things that are generally good.

Stop projecting your own opinions on others as if they are fact

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

If people are getting upset that recent evidence strongly refutes their inane beliefs, then so be it. I seek those who can learn.

I don't think your concern, as valid for you as it may be, should limit Bungies ambition. Offline gaming is not the future. It's just not. Tesla shouldn't spin up a combustion engine division in the same way Bungie shouldn't waste resources on SP. They're uniquely set up to push all their chips in the next frontier of gaming. Hedging their bets feels too conservative to me. Go big or go home.

Given the title, content of the OP, and you're "call out culture" posts, you literally made it "that thread". If you can't even show people what you're talking about, then why bother posting this non-sense at all?
I'm sorry if you were confused. This is definitely not that thread.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I don't see how ANYONE could genuinely call Bungie *shit*.

They make the best playing FPS in gaming. You can argue they've had lots of missteps along the way with expansions that didn't hit right, or how they archive content, or just the general structure of the games. But Peak Destiny, doing an intense raid, is some of the best gaming moments I've ever had. I miss it since I haven't played Destiny in years.

Honestly, this whole dismissal of anything GaaS needs to stop. It's not all garbage slop.

Dr. Claus

Banned
I don't see how ANYONE could genuinely call Bungie *shit*.

They make the best playing FPS in gaming. You can argue they've had lots of missteps along the way with expansions that didn't hit right, or how they archive content, or just the general structure of the games. But Peak Destiny, doing an intense raid, is some of the best gaming moments I've ever had. I miss it since I haven't played Destiny in years.

Honestly, this whole dismissal of anything GaaS needs to stop. It's not all garbage slop.
Laugh Lol GIF

Varteras

What I think is impressive is that The Witch Queen was the highest rated Destiny expansion ever. It only had one 10/10 out of 68 reviews on Opencritic. The Final Shape has 6 of those perfect scores after just 19 reviews already. Considering that two of the last three expansions are the highest rated in Destiny's history, and that people are especially enjoying this new one, I think it was awfully premature to assume that Bungie or Destiny were done for just because of the backlash from Lightfall.

It was also clear in that ViDoc for The Final Shape that the team still has a lot of passion for the game. That they really wanted this expansion to be special. It was the culmination of a 10-year story and, for a lot of them, their life's work up until now. And the things they have coming for their new post-launch episodes sound really interesting.

I don't think your concern, as valid for you as it may be, should limit Bungies ambition. Offline gaming is not the future. It's just not.
This is not what I'm trying to argue. If the following may be a better example, you yourself have championed such games like Genshin Impact for it's success with Gaas. That is another example of the type of online system I'm referencing to entice larger audiences. A mixture of both online and SP. I doubt you'll claim that Genshin isn't a moneymaker, as it managed to successfully capture two audiences very well.

I'm saying Bungie could manage this if they wanted to rather than putting all of their eggs in one distinct basket and hoping for the best every single time.

Varteras

This is not what I'm trying to argue. If the following may be a better example, you yourself have championed such games like Genshin Impact for it's success with Gaas. That is another example of the type of online system I'm referencing to entice larger audiences. A mixture of both online and SP. I doubt you'll claim that Genshin isn't a moneymaker, as it managed to successfully capture two audiences very well.

I'm saying Bungie could manage this if they wanted to rather than putting all of their eggs in one distinct basket and hoping for the best every single time.

I get what you're saying, and forgive me for jumping into a conversation between you two, but I do think your concern is misplaced. I mean, if you personally desire Bungie to have an offline option for its games so you can play them completely at your leisure, I get that.

But, I don't think there is an inherent danger here to Bungie or its projects. Most live service games don't really offer what you're suggesting. Even among the most successful of them. Creating a whole separate experience for offline players would obviously require a ton of additional work.

Even if you just made the game as it is playable offline, well, now you have to figure out how to scale the mechanics which were intended for a certain group size. You could try to create NPC's that accompany you, but now you have to figure out how to make them behave in the right ways. You're still creating an issue where they have to figure out balance.

Then what do you do about weapon and armor drops? How do you balance them against a watered down experience to reflect the effort in getting them? Do you even allow them to transfer them to the live game? These are all questions and issues that require separate work every single time they add something.

And this may not even be remotely applicable to Marathon. Meaning we're back to spending time and resources just to create a campaign that they'll then have to continue to support throughout the game like they have to do with Destiny. All that extra effort so people can play solo instead of the way the devs intended.

At the end of the day, Bungie is a live service company. It's the hill they've chosen. That may change in the future. People like you might entice them to. That's valid. But, if other companies have found great success in this realm, and they have too, I don't think there is a need for concern. With the exception of the Lightfall expansion, Destiny looks like it will have been in the best state it's ever been for at least 3 years by the time the next expansion or sequel drops.

Top Bottom