• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"BuNgIe iS a ShElL oF iTs FoRmEr SeLf!"

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes , you are the chosen one, my friend.

Sad Doctor Who GIF
Thanks. I take my role as gaming teacher, mentor, philosopher, prognosticator very seriously. The people shouldn't be given up on.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
"Everybody knows Halo, so everybody must know Marathon"
"I remember this game from back when gaming as a whole was niche, so does everybody else"
Why can't you just take the L and move on? Like "oh, my bad I did not knew this". And suddenly you could have looked like a nice guy. But no, you want to be right. Sorry but not this time (again, I remember you don't worry).

You don't know Marathon. That's ok, I didn't too a few years ago but I took time to inform myself and now I know why it is very respected among players. Not a big deal, you should do the same and stop being condescending with other.

Cool, est. ~14K owners, CCU peak of 645.
This is Doom. You know Doom right? We could say it's the father of many, many FPS right? That it opened the way to gaming as we know it right? It is a vey, VERY respected IP right? And yet:

EoERSX8.png

Of course it's not gonna sell 100K units in a week. This doesn't take away from what they've done for video games in general.

Thanks. I take my role as gaming teacher, mentor, philosopher, prognosticator very seriously. The people shouldn't be given up on.
The sad part is I'm sure you believe in this.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
That was my point. Most people didn't.
Yeah let's ignore the rest of my message. The point is you don't know the game, it's ok, yet it doesn't make this game less important or famous. And please respond to those Doom player count? Must be a forgotten game right?
Please go ahead and keep making a fool of yourself.

Kind of want to try this now it's done (have never played it) - you can solo it, right? Problem I have is I have no idea where to start at this point (same as with World of Warcraft and Elder Scrolls online) - any beginner's guide worth checking out? I have some time as I still have a long way to go in Starfield...

Killjoy-NL

Yeah let's ignore the rest of my message. The point is you don't know the game, it's ok, yet it doesn't make this game less important or famous. And please respond to those Doom player count? Must be a forgotten game right?
Please go ahead and keep making a fool of yourself.
The bolded part that I quoted already made your entire post irrelevant in relation to my original reaction about most people not knowing about the Marathon franchise.

Even more so since the guy stated that the game has been free for years and he didn't even play it for the first time until last year, which would be like 20 years post-release.
And he likely didn't even know about it until Bungie announced Marathon for PS5, like most of us.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The sad part is I'm sure you believe in this.
We all believe it. Whether we admit it publicly is another story.

Btw, Killjoy-NL Killjoy-NL is absolutely correct. The Marathon games were never big sellers and they released eons ago. The idea that a meaningful percentage of modern gamers is somehow going to rail against the franchise becoming GAAS is pure fantasy. Nobody under the age of 40 has strong feelings about the Marathon name.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

That release is from a month ago my silly little man.

This is the original free release that has been up for decades:

Talking about the franchise, my dude.

People are acting like it's already going to be a disaster because they are going to do something other than what the original games were, when almost nobody even knew the franchise existed or even played any of the games.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The bolded part that I quoted already made your entire post irrelevant in relation to my original reaction about most people not knowing about the Marathon franchise.

Even more so since the guy stated that the game has been free for years and he didn't even play it for the first time until last year, which would be like 20 years post-release.
And he likely didn't even know about it until Bungie announced Marathon for PS5, like most of us.
So what about Doom which is pushing lower numbers, are you gonna pretend it's an unknown game? Again you are ignoring the rest of the post.

Also he didn't say that the game was currently popular with thousands of players. He said it was very influential and brought a lot to the FPS genre. Which is true, rather you like it or not.

Anyone saying Marathon is an unknown game that's not important is just uneducated. It's fine, as long as you don't call out other people who try to teach you.

Guilty_AI

Even so, most people don't know it exists.
No, you didn't know it existed.
People are acting like it's already going to be a disaster because they are going to do something other than what the original games were, when almost nobody even knew the franchise existed or even played any of the games.
It may, it may not. Using that name at all for this however already starts them on the wrong foot.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

So what about Doom which is pushing lower numbers, are you gonna pretend it's an unknown game? Again you are ignoring the rest of the post.
Doom is a well-known franchise, Marathon isn't.

Apples and oranges.
Also he didn't say that the game was currently popular with thousands of players. He said it was very influential and brought a lot to the FPS genre. Which is true, rather you like it or not.

Anyone saying Marathon is an unknown game that's not important is just uneducated. It's fine, as long as you don't call out other people who try to teach you.
I never said Marathon was unimportant though. Might have confused me with someone else.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Doom is a well-known franchise, Marathon isn't.

Apples and oranges.
You don't know the IP, that's the difference but they were both very influencing.

I never said Marathon was unimportant though. Might have confused me with someone else.
No, look again at what you said. You are trying to say the game was not important because it didn't sold millions. I'm telling you the game was important. Do your research.

Killjoy-NL

You don't know the IP, that's the difference but they were both very influencing.
I never said otherwise.
No, look again at what you said. You are trying to say the game was not important because it didn't sold millions. I'm telling you the game was important. Do your research.
Again, at no point did I say anything remotely close to this.

I said most people aren't aware that it is an existing franchise.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry, I think you might be generally confused on how discussions operate. If you're not prepared to discuss your own topics in your own threads, might I suggest a one-way rant format like tiktok or YouTube?
Stop feeding him. His narcissism isn’t going to allow him to budge on this. Knows damn well it’s “that thread”.

proandrad

You know week 1 reviews for a game like destiny is meaningless. It takes at least a month for players to settle into the game loop and figure out the metas to truly judge the game. As a reminder Diablo 4 reviewed well out the gate and that game turned out to be a shit show.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No, you didn't know it existed.

It may, it may not. Using that name at all for this however already starts them on the wrong foot.

Getting started on the wrong foot with the 12 people who still care about the old Marathon games.

VS

Making a potential Apex Legends size GAAS hit.

Decisions decisions...

Ogbert

Gold Member
It's a solid expansion. An excellent epilogue to my years of investment into this franchise. There's a lot of new quality content and the story is solid with a lot of focus on characters. Of course I'm biased, I've spent more time on this game than any other game I've played in my life. And its not supposed to be for everyone, reviews honestly don't matter and at this point, I don't really need anyone else's affirmation.

But it feels so damn good that my belief in Bungie has paid off.
Like you, I’ve sunk 1000s of hours into D2. Love the game, always will.

I’m just a bit surprised at the level of praise the expansion is getting. The story remains complete nonsense and it’s not even as if anything gets resolved. And the rest is just typical seasonal content.

I think what really shines, as ever, is the gunplay. Prismatic allowing for genuine stasis/solar builds is so much fun. Running the stasis super with gunpowder gamble, vanish and devour is brilliant. But Destiny’s gameplay has always been best in class.

Also, there is some standard Bungie shit. I don’t like the power level nerf. Strikes are a chore now and I dislike having to wait half a season to be able to adequately run baseline content.

And PvP is just silly now.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Kind of want to try this now it's done (have never played it) - you can solo it, right? Problem I have is I have no idea where to start at this point (same as with World of Warcraft and Elder Scrolls online) - any beginner's guide worth checking out? I have some time as I still have a long way to go in Starfield...
Destiny is a very odd game and hard to approach.

My advice would be to pick it up and, for the first few hours, simply treat it as a sandbox. Run around, shoot stuff, get used to the different weapon types and see what you enjoy.

There’s a campaign spread across multiple expansions but, as someone who’s played since day one, it’s complete fucking nonsense. I have no idea what’s going on.

You can then run strikers (which are 3 man 10 minute fodder missions), pvp or gambit, which is a hybrid of the two.

As I say, download it and see if you like shooting stuff. If so, stick with it.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Bungie could not make Halo Combat evolved again if it wanted to. I think the shooting feels good on their stuff, but they are a GAAS company now not a single player FPS company. They chased the money and that is smart for them as a business, but I do not want anything they are making.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Again, at no point did I say anything remotely close to this.

I said most people aren't aware that it is an existing franchise.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Yes you did, this is you precisely saying this:

Never even heard of the Marathon franchise before Sony announced the upcoming one, and I'm sure that goes for 99.9% of gamers out there.

In fact, it's some mid-90s retro franchise that sold less than 200K lifetime sales.
"And I'm sure" yeah dude, that's just you assuming stuff. I and other are telling why you are wrong.

It's not because consoles players don't know Marathon that it's not an important IP.

Guilty_AI

Getting started on the wrong foot with the 12 people who still care about the old Marathon games.

VS

Making a potential Apex Legends size GAAS hit.

Decisions decisions...
Using the Marathon name for something that has nothing to do with Marathon

VS

Creating a new name for a new game for new users

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Bro, get tf out of here with this. You are whole-heartedly being a dick, and it’s exactly what this thread is. Look at the way you wrote your title. Baiting people in, then when they disagree with you, you try to spin that shit on them. Tool.
If you wouldn't tell Leonardo DaVinci what he should have done differently on The Mona Lisa, then you shouldn't attempt to tell Men_in_Boxes what he should have done differently on his piece. An artists vision is his alone.

Plus, let's face it, this thread has been an astounding success without the erroneous suggestions brought forth by the peanut gallery.

Seek humility yourself.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Using the Marathon name for something that has nothing to do with Marathon

VS

Creating a new name for a new game for new users

You're proposing a problem that doesn't exist.

The people at Bungie wanted to use the Marathon IP. No one outside of Bungie cares about the Marathon IP. There's no issue here.

Let them cook. The game succeeds or fails based on its design, not some silly IP discussion.

Bond007

Destiny is one of my fav games of the last generation PS4/PS5. Epic game that disrespects your time put in with all the grinding. Then they add grind to the grind.
But man- when its clicking its clicking.

I been out of Destiny for a while now. Since Beyond Light i think.
Think im gonna skip all the rest and dive into Final Shape. There is alot to catch up on

Guilty_AI

You're proposing a problem that doesn't exist.

The people at Bungie wanted to use the Marathon IP. No one outside of Bungie cares about the Marathon IP. There's no issue here.

Let them cook. The game succeeds or fails based on its design, not some silly IP discussion.
Why did they decide to use the Marathon IP if no one cares about it though 🤔?

Killjoy-NL

Yes you did, this is you precisely saying this:

"And I'm sure" yeah dude, that's just you assuming stuff. I and other are telling why you are wrong.

It's not because consoles players don't know Marathon that it's not an important IP.
You're making much more out of it than it was.

200K is an insignificant number especially since we're 30 years past the original releases.

That's all I was saying. At no point did I say anything about the quality or importance of the franchise.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You're making much more out of it than it was.

200K is an insignificant number especially since we're 30 years past the original releases.

That's all I was saying. At no point did I say anything about the quality or importance of the franchise.
No, you just try to downplay what you said because you start to understand it was a stupid comment.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What made them want it 🤔 ?
I see the mistake you're making.

You think because Bungie liked the IP enough to make a sequel 30 years later, that there's a sizeable audience who also cares enough to cause a ruckus 30 years later.

Your mistake is a simple one.

When a studio puts hundreds of thousands of man hours into making 3 titles in an IP, their level of appreciation is exponentially greater than gamers who spent 17.25 hours on a game or two within the franchise back in 1995.

Marathon was never a big seller and most of the people who did play the franchise 30 years ago are likely out of gaming. Kinda common sense.

Guilty_AI

I see the mistake you're making.

You think because Bungie liked the IP enough to make a sequel 30 years later, that there's a sizeable audience who also cares enough to cause a ruckus 30 years later.

Your mistake is a simple one.

When a studio puts hundreds of thousands of man hours into making 3 titles in an IP, their level of appreciation is exponentially greater than gamers who spent 17.25 hours on a game or two within the franchise back in 1995.

Marathon was never a big seller and most of the people who did play the franchise 30 years ago are likely out of gaming. Kinda common sense.
But this is hardly a sequel, and the current people at bungie are hardly the same ones from 30 years ago who worked on this 🤔 ?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
But this is hardly a sequel, and the current people at bungie are hardly the same ones from 30 years ago who worked on this 🤔 ?
We're getting too lost in the woods now.

Your idea that the mythical mass of Marathon fans were going to negatively hurt the next Marathons games chances was always ridiculous. Marathon is essentially a brand new IP at this point.

Raven117

The Final Shape is judged not by the quality but by the feelings of "10 years journey" 🤷‍♂️
Sure. That plays a part. But they easily could have bobbled it, but they didn't.

Plus, the game finally took away some of the more frustrating elements that slowed your builds...or playing with friends.

Now, it has an actually coherent narrative (just about a first for the franchise), smoothed out some gameplay elements, made it easier to play with buddies, and its back fun blasting aliens with friends. Which, in the end, is what destiny is all about.

Romulus

I've always had mixed feelings with Destiny. Good mechanics and fun loop but always felt soulless/uninspired to me.

Halo ripped off the movie Aliens in many ways but still ended up having that magic that we rarely see.

So in that way, yeah, bungie peaked in 2001.

Top Bottom